PDA

View Full Version : 02/2010 - Your 5 Best Choices for Eating in Sosua

Pages : [1] 2

mikelodge
02-04-2010, 10:39 AM
We all know places change and fall in and out of favor so I thought some recent opinions might benefit some people and be enjoyed.

Mine would be not necessarily in any order:

Baileys
Simply Red
El Toro
Rockys
Morua Mai

Jimmydr
02-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Rockys has the best ribs. We would place our order in the morning and they would be ready for dinner, at the time we requested.

mikelodge
02-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Rockys has the best ribs. We would place our order in the morning and they would be ready for dinner, at the time we requested.

Jimmy I checked the write in box and up to 25 so people can add their choices.
I hope I did it right if not please fix. Thanks

Jimmydr
02-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Britannia was a place that I had breakfast a few times. It was nice.

psriches
02-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Who has the best Pizza??????

eastcoastallstar
02-04-2010, 05:38 PM

I personally like the spot that has the cow motiff. Some French people own it.

Hemp
02-04-2010, 05:40 PM
I usually survive off Susannas and Rockys....i make a pit stop at Tipico Albertos for the pita wraps as well (thanks Gdogg) not a big eater on vakay i like to stay light on my feet.

Honerable mention, the hot wings at Pedro Mcmurphys (are they closed???) and the pork/chicken stand across the street from classicos at night (albeit i dont know if he is still there) Lous shark bar.

psriches
02-04-2010, 05:57 PM
I personally like the spot that has the cow motiff. Some French people own it.Where is that??

mikelodge
02-04-2010, 06:02 PM

I agree with EC it is the place on PC down at ground zero across from the clubs.
I went there with a couple of Italians from Piero and they claim to have eaten at all of them. I thought it was better than Bolgana but haven't tried that one down by PJ's above the beach.

mikelodge
02-04-2010, 06:05 PM
Where is that??

To be precise I would say mid block on the South side of PC across from Bar Central perhaps a place or two toward the beach. They are closed during the day.

the_Jayman
02-04-2010, 06:56 PM

Pizza Hut in Playa Dorado !

Drunko went there about 4 years ago and dropped 3000 or so pesos . . .

PIZZA FOR EVERYBODY ! ! ! !

Apos
02-04-2010, 07:04 PM

Where is that??

To be precise I would say mid block on the South side of PC across from Bar Central perhaps a place or two toward the beach. They are closed during the day.That'd be "Oh La Vache" :smile:

the_Jayman
02-04-2010, 07:06 PM
That'd be "Oh La Vache" :smile:

Gotta LOVE that avatar ! ! ! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

JD426
02-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Gotta LOVE that avatar ! ! ! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
That fucking Avatar cost me a hundred bucks. :rofl:

eastcoastallstar
02-04-2010, 07:14 PM
I usually survive off Susannas and Rockys....i make a pit stop at Tipico Albertos for the pita wraps as well (thanks Gdogg) not a big eater on vakay i like to stay light on my feet.

Honerable mention, the hot wings at Pedro Mcmurphys (are they closed???) and the pork/chicken stand across the street from classicos at night (albeit i dont know if he is still there) Lous shark bar.

I love that spot too, especially when it's 4am and you just finished busting two nuts and the alcohol is wearing off and your tired and hungry, those artery clogging sandwiches are the fuckin best thing out.

Macky
02-04-2010, 08:47 PM

The last time I was there was in November, there was a pizza shop diagonally across the street from the Kaka Kaka bar; Quite frankly, the best pizza I ever had in my life!!!

psriches
02-04-2010, 08:49 PM
That'd be "Oh La Vache" :smile:That's what i thought. But the last time i was there it was a million dollars for the meal. I only want some good pizza. I think i'm starting to get cheap! :(

eastcoastallstar
02-04-2010, 08:55 PM
That's what i thought. But the last time i was there it was a million dollars for the meal. I only want some good pizza. I think i'm starting to get cheap! :(

That happens when your paying dime pieces 200 pesos for TLN, you tend to get spoiled.

vagabond
02-04-2010, 09:42 PM
I missed Orchidee on the list. Very good food, reasonable prices, and maybe the best pizza in town. would have been on my list together with News Cafe, Romanoff, Simply Red and maybe El Batey which isn't on the list either.

mikelodge
02-04-2010, 10:06 PM
That's what i thought. But the last time i was there it was a million dollars for the meal. I only want some good pizza. I think i'm starting to get cheap! :(

I don't want to doubt Apos since he is there he must have the name right but when we had pizza there it wasn't expensive but that is all we had 2 pizzas for 4 people and we inhaled them and left.

I like many of you don't mind spending much more money on a good meal if it is really a good meal. Hell we go out and have to spend $25-$30 for a decent steak or seafood dinner in the US why not enjoy it there too.

But I am cheap too and unless I know it is going to definitely please me I will be satisfied for a 10 buck pizza any day or the same for Mexican. Those 275 peso grilled chickens on PC on the corner by Europa satisfy my hunger after a good belly full of booze just as good.

The security guy always helps me finish it if I can't :rofl:

psriches
02-04-2010, 10:08 PM
That happens when your paying dime pieces 200 pesos for TLN, you tend to get spoiled.Good point, but in my defense, i just want a good "slice" like i'm around the way!!

gdogg
02-05-2010, 01:45 AM
I've eaten at the same places the majority of the time for six years...

(in no particular order)
1. Rocky's - I was shocked after all the reading I did about the place before my first trip that it took me two days to find it. No one knew where it was. I eventually found it, and have eaten breakfast there (when I eat breakfast, or don't get it free at Casa Cayena) ever since. Never went there for quick food, I knew the deal about the wait before ever landing on the island. They went through a spell a few years ago where the food came out quickly. I was actually pissed off. The first couple of trips most to all my meals were there. Never had a bad one.

2. Morua Mai - Try to get there at least once a trip, always getting the same thing (seafood platter). Except for the one trip when they tried to charge around 1000 pesos for it (I left), it's a really good plate for the money.

3. El Toro - Another once a trip destination, especially for special occasions (like TropicBob's birthday). I've heard/read mixed opinions about this place, but I've never had a problem with it. Good steaks (don't know where they're from), potatoes, and stateside tasting salad. Love the prime rib!

4. Susanna's Criolla - When I stopped getting up at the crack of dawn (i.e. when I stopped going with Jimmy), this became my first meal of the day. It used to sooooo cheap. Equivalent of two meals for 70 pesos. I was surprised when I first asked for another helping of whatever meat it was I ordered, and was only charged 10 extra pesos. It's not as cheap as it once was, but you still get enough to fill up on and have some for later for an excellent price.

5. The New York Shark Bar - I miss those old days going to the beach. I'd be passing chicas and paying them no mind...I'd have sweet sausage on the brain (shut the fuck up...in advance!). That was the best thing Lou made back then, because the burgers were always sold out. Great burgers, hot dogs (real Nathan's), sausage sandwiches, and wings. A bit pricey (especially for me), but you still can't beat the quality of the food, the great comraderie (with friends and strangers), and Lou and his staff!

6. Tipico Alberto - I first started eating there on my first trip. I liked the location, especially if you ate outside. Real cool atmosphere that's great for chica watching. The food and the prices were good. Back in the day, this girl I used to see on the regular worked there. On our first "date", she got all dolled up. I was like "where do you want to eat?", she was like "Tipico Alberto". I was confused...you work there all day, and now you want to eat there? That's when I first learned about workers getting kick backs for bringing in customers. Plus, she wanted to show off how she looked when she wasn't wearing an apron and hairnet. I digress...

7. Sandwich stand in front of Classicos - Can't be beat after a night of drinking and dancing and pre-boning! That's a ritual for me (and a lot of us). Get the chica, get the sandwich, get to the room. I always get an extra one for post-coital dining if needed. I was warned about eating from those stands, but I've never had an issue with them. And the food's so damned tasty!

8. The GREAT Chicken Stand (between the old Sosua Palace and the old La Passions). I've been to a few chicken stands in Sosua, Santiago, and places in between, but NONE can touch that one. Get two chickens for 140 pesos, and feed everyone at The Palace.

...about PJ's - They say the food's better...been saying it since 2006. Apos swears it's now the BOMB!! Back in 2004 it was the only thing open after the clubs let out. I was told the chicken was safe. I ate there twice with a chica. Chicas were ok...I got sick both times. Later found out the chicken was safe...DURING THE DAY! Haven't been back since. I may give it a shot next go round, new management and all.

...I've eaten at most of the other places listed over the years, just not regularly enough for them to make the list.

officemgr
02-05-2010, 08:19 AM
They don't sell by the slice but most pies are about 300 pesos and they have good ice cream .
Good point, but in my defense, i just want a good "slice" like i'm around the way!!

mikelodge
02-05-2010, 08:35 AM
I've eaten at the same places the majority of the time for six years...

(in no particular order)
1. Rocky's - I was shocked after all the reading I did about the place before my first trip that it took me two days to find it. No one knew where it was. I eventually found it, and have eaten breakfast there (when I eat breakfast, or don't get it free at Casa Cayena) ever since. Never went there for quick food, I knew the deal about the wait before ever landing on the island. They went through a spell a few years ago where the food came out quickly. I was actually pissed off. The first couple of trips most to all my meals were there. Never had a bad one.

2. Morua Mai - Try to get there at least once a trip, always getting the same thing (seafood platter). Except for the one trip when they tried to charge around 1000 pesos for it (I left), it's a really good plate for the money.

3. El Toro - Another once a trip destination, especially for special occasions (like TropicBob's birthday). I've heard/read mixed opinions about this place, but I've never had a problem with it. Good steaks (don't know where they're from), potatoes, and stateside tasting salad. Love the prime rib!

4. Susanna's Criolla - When I stopped getting up at the crack of dawn (i.e. when I stopped going with Jimmy), this became my first meal of the day. It used to sooooo cheap. Equivalent of two meals for 70 pesos. I was surprised when I first asked for another helping of whatever meat it was I ordered, and was only charged 10 extra pesos. It's not as cheap as it once was, but you still get enough to fill up on and have some for later for an excellent price.

5. The New York Shark Bar - I miss those old days going to the beach. I'd be passing chicas and paying them no mind...I'd have sweet sausage on the brain (shut the fuck up...in advance!). That was the best thing Lou made back then, because the burgers were always sold out. Great burgers, hot dogs (real Nathan's), sausage sandwiches, and wings. A bit pricey (especially for me), but you still can't beat the quality of the food, the great comraderie (with friends and strangers), and Lou and his staff!

6. Tipico Alberto - I first started eating there on my first trip. I liked the location, especially if you ate outside. Real cool atmosphere that's great for chica watching. The food and the prices were good. Back in the day, this girl I used to see on the regular worked there. On our first "date", she got all dolled up. I was like "where do you want to eat?", she was like "Tipico Alberto". I was confused...you work there all day, and now you want to eat there? That's when I first learned about workers getting kick backs for bringing in customers. Plus, she wanted to show off how she looked when she wasn't wearing an apron and hairnet. I digress...

7. Sandwich stand in front of Classicos - Can't be beat after a night of drinking and dancing and pre-boning! That's a ritual for me (and a lot of us). Get the chica, get the sandwich, get to the room. I always get an extra one for post-coital dining if needed. I was warned about eating from those stands, but I've never had an issue with them. And the food's so damned tasty!

8. The GREAT Chicken Stand (between the old Sosua Palace and the old La Passions). I've been to a few chicken stands in Sosua, Santiago, and places in between, but NONE can touch that one. Get two chickens for 140 pesos, and feed everyone at The Palace.

...about PJ's - They say the food's better...been saying it since 2006. Apos swears it's now the BOMB!! Back in 2004 it was the only thing open after the clubs let out. I was told the chicken was safe. I ate there twice with a chica. Chicas were ok...I got sick both times. Later found out the chicken was safe...DURING THE DAY! Haven't been back since. I may give it a shot next go round, new management and all.

...I've eaten at most of the other places listed over the years, just not regularly enough for them to make the list.

Good stuff, I feel the same way about the first 5 and don't know where #6 alberto is?? Or number 8 must be a thing of the past (what street is it on) or at least the price because now at those chicken stands it isn't 140 for two or even one.

The stands across from Europa are 275 per chicken with that plantain stuff to go with it. I worked on them for chicken only and the lowest I could get was 225 per just the one Chicken. I will say it is excellent and they chop it up for easy eating before they put it in the togo box. And I cover it with the included Salsa Verde.

Anyone know of a goat place other than La finca in Sosua. How about any other unusual food.

Beads
02-05-2010, 10:25 AM
La Roca , El Toro, Rockys, and The Shark Bar are the only ones on the list and I cant add anymore it says!

I only do La Roca for the all you can eat bbq or maybe breakfast. El Toro is a one time some trips visit. Rockys is a one time sometimes visit for ribs.

I do hit the Shark Bar every trip for food a few times as it rates high on my list.

My other choice that could NOT be added to the list sadly....

La Bologna - Love this place the #18 pizza is my favorite.

Casita #67 on the beach- Aris place is awesome great grilled Sea Bass with rice one of my favorite lunches.

Chicken stands all over I love a good bbq chicken!

Jimmydr
02-05-2010, 10:26 AM

They must be around about 20 years and its still good.:iconTU:

Beads
02-05-2010, 10:29 AM
They must be around about 20 years and its still good.:iconTU:

Yep food is safe and always tastes about the same (good!). Being good and dependable are great qualities!

Jimmydr
02-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Yep food is safe and always tastes about the same (good!). Being good and dependable are great qualities!

The owner is always around as well and that helps.

Beads
02-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Some places have ruined it for me with bad experiences and even though it could have been a one time thing my first time was not good enough to get them repeat business.

La Roca almost lost me on their all you can eat bbq as I showed up early and one of their regular customers wasnt there yet. I tried a few things on the grill and asked if it was fresh and of course they said yes. The pork and chicken were dry.

Was kind of funny because the guy who I was meeting there who eats there every week showed up and was introducing me to the owner (think hes from Europe?) and I said man this food is horrible not knowing this was the owner in front of me.

Apparently his good customer gets better service as fresh food came out to the grill immediately when he showed up.

After about 20 minutes we were eating fresh food from the grill which was good but just knowing if I wasnt with a preferred customer I would get served old stuff.

Also the idea of a locals menu you have to either be friendly with staff to get or have to argue to get doesnt sit right with me.

Hey I can understand giving locals who eat there frequently a break but there are more tactful ways of doing it.

Walking up to a friends table to eat with them and sitting across from them and the fact that they are friendly with a waiter they have the same menu as you but with lower prices?

gdogg
02-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Good stuff, I feel the same way about the first 5 and don't know where #6 alberto is?? Or number 8 must be a thing of the past (what street is it on) or at least the price because now at those chicken stands it isn't 140 for two or even one.

You're right. I was talking about 2004. I should've made it clearer. The chicken plates were 70 pesos each.

Jimmydr
02-05-2010, 10:51 AM
You're right. I was talking about 2004. I should've made it clearer. The chicken plates were 70 pesos each.

Its 2010 now, not 2004!:eek:

Apos
02-05-2010, 10:51 AM
If you have not tried the pizza at Rocky's recently you should give it a try. I'm addicted to it and could eat 1 every day! There are a few other excellent options for seriously good pizza as well, just for variety. They're all as good as back home, or better, to my taste, and the prices are great too. I've made a few converts in the last few months so it's not just my taste buds talkin' :D

Speaking of food...it's lunch time...perhaps on the beach, nyone want to join us? ;):smile:
La Roca , El Toro, Rockys, and The Shark Bar are the only ones on the list and I cant add anymore it says!

I only do La Roca for the all you can eat bbq or maybe breakfast. El Toro is a one time some trips visit. Rockys is a one time sometimes visit for ribs.

I do hit the Shark Bar every trip for food a few times as it rates high on my list.

My other choice that could NOT be added to the list sadly....

Casita #67 on the beach- Aris place is awesome great grilled Sea Bass with rice one of my favorite lunches.

Chicken stands all over I love a good bbq chicken!

Jimmydr
02-05-2010, 10:52 AM
They're all as good as back home, or better, to my taste, and the prices are great too.

If back home isn't NY, then its not as good as back home. Its as good as Pizza Hut in Osh Kosh Wiscounsin.

Beads
02-05-2010, 10:53 AM
If you have not tried the pizza at Rocky's recently you should give it a try. I'm addicted to it and could eat 1 every day! There are a few other excellent options for seriously good pizza as well, just for variety. They're all as good as back home, or better, to my taste, and the prices are great too. I've made a few converts in the last few months so it's not just my taste buds talkin' :D

Speaking of food...it's lunch time...perhaps on the beach, nyone want to join us? ;):smile:

Never tried the pizza to be honest. If I go to Rockys I usually have a craving for ribs. Wish I could hit the beach but im waiting on tonights snowstorm and still at work :mad:.

gdogg
02-05-2010, 10:54 AM

I was telling a story...geesh!!

Jimmydr
02-05-2010, 10:56 AM
I was telling a story...geesh!!

I love stories. Once upon a time there was a cool guy named Frank. He had a whorehouse full of cheap, dirty whores.

:iconTU::iconTU::iconTU::iconTU::iconTU::iconTU:

gdogg
02-05-2010, 10:58 AM

Oh yeah...news flash! The Palace ain't open no more, and La Passions moved further down the strip.
:)

Jimmydr
02-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Oh yeah...news flash! The Palace ain't open no more, and La Passions moved further down the strip.

And Jimmy is Senor Jimmy de Medellin, and unemployed.:eek:

gdogg
02-05-2010, 11:03 AM
I love stories. Once upon a time there was a cool guy named Frank. He had a whorehouse full of cheap, dirty whores.

:iconTU::iconTU::iconTU::iconTU::iconTU::iconTU:

Look familiar?

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/34444471c6f550461.jpg

Jimmydr
02-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Look familiar?

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/34444471c6f550461.jpg)

Aida and Jayman.:eek:

gdogg
02-05-2010, 11:05 AM
You got one right.

Apos
02-05-2010, 11:07 AM
You all know I luv Rocky's but I am trying to be very even in my reviews. That said, some of the best pizza around comes out of the Rocky's pizza oven and the price is also better than most other places. Everyone I have pointed to Rocky's for the pizza has been impressed and are now fans and repeat customers. As good as the pizza has been over the years I find it even better now...not sure exactly why but give it a try and let us know what you think!
Never tried the pizza to be honest. If I go to Rockys I usually have a craving for ribs. Wish I could hit the beach but im waiting on tonights snowstorm and still at work :mad:.
Let's have beers on the beach when you come to the DR next! :iconTU:

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/33274b6c33f206077.jpg

Apos
02-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Escarletta! :eek::lol:
Look familiar?

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/34444471c6f550461.jpg)

Jimmydr
02-05-2010, 11:10 AM

I never had her, but my wingman did, hehehe

gdogg
02-05-2010, 11:11 AM

Ding Ding Ding!! We have a winner!
:iconTU:

...sorry Lodge about the mini-jack.

gdogg
02-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Good stuff, I feel the same way about the first 5 and don't know where #6 alberto is??

Leaving Classico, make a right and go about 40 yards.

mikelodge
02-05-2010, 11:26 AM

I thought their pizza was good, I had the Bologna one which is the loaded one and it was heavily loaded with some form of small yellow round summer squash which I picked off.

I did like the pizza otherwise but when we were there there was only one waiter working only 4 tables in the outer part and he was junk. Forgot parmesan cheese until 3rd request and Medic had to get up and go get napkins of another table after 2 tries.

You just never know but I would eat there again.

mikelodge
02-05-2010, 11:28 AM

I miss my Chicago Pies I grew up on that weighed like 10 pounds

mikelodge
02-05-2010, 11:30 AM
If back home isn't NY, then its not as good as back home. Its as good as Pizza Hut in Osh Kosh Wiscounsin.

They make some form of work clothes there for people with jobs like painters pants or something Oshkosh by Gosh :rofl::rofl:

And Pizza Hut has a buffet that you can wear anything into. lol

WickedWillie
02-05-2010, 11:41 AM
La Punto - Sosua Ocean Village - International cuisine
Chilli's - La Mulatta II - Thai
Hungarian - past Cuba Libre, keep going past the old disco, big sign on wall - (er obviously Hungarian food)

Just some variety as it seems all you bloody tourists want is pizza and grilled chicken!!

Jimbo44
02-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Looks like he may be overpaying tambien!!

officemgr
02-05-2010, 06:43 PM
every now and then Bologna has some tasty waitresses.

Mr Hillbilly
02-05-2010, 07:21 PM
#1 Scotch and Sirloin Pasta and shrimp
#2 I like the Stube and chicken and fries
#3 Cabana Bar
#4 the bar that adjoins Passions I like their burger and fries
#5 La Roca I like their breakfasts
Honorable mention I like the pizza @ Bailey's and Big D's all you can eat.

I have tried to eat @ Rockys several times.First couple times I couldn't even get anyone to wait on me.Then when I finally did they didn't have any ribs they were waiting on them?

mikelodge
02-05-2010, 07:38 PM
#1 Scotch and Sirloin Pasta and shrimp
#2 I like the Stube and chicken and fries
#3 Cabana Bar
#4 the bar that adjoins Passions I like their burger and fries
#5 La Roca I like their breakfasts
Honorable mention I like the pizza @ Bailey's and Big D's all you can eat.

I have tried to eat @ Rockys several times.First couple times I couldn't even get anyone to wait on me.Then when I finally did they didn't have any ribs they were waiting on them?

#4 is called Andy's bar and restaurant and that Hamburger and Fries for 120 Pesos is hard to beat. I drink there alot before Passions since the beer is half the price at 50 pesos for Presidentes and 40 for Brahma

Jimmydr
02-05-2010, 07:40 PM
#4 is called Andy's bar and restaurant and that Hamburger and Fries for 120 Pesos is hard to beat. I drink there alot before Passions since the beer is half the price at 50 pesos for Presidentes and 40 for Brahma

Except for Burger King, I never had a good hamburger n DR. If you want to talk about fish or chicken, I had some great meals in DR.

Mr Hillbilly
02-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Oh La Roca has a good burger and fries too.

Yea I like the guy who runs the resturaunt next to Passions and it is reasonable and quick!

The Steak @ Steak and Sirloin is good also.

Apos
02-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Andy's is the full sitdown restaurant just before Pasion's and the attached 'restaurant' is Passion Burger, IIRC. Those sound like Andy's beer prices though and the burger place attached does not serve beer, again IIRC.

Apos
02-05-2010, 07:50 PM
There are currently many places that serve great burgers:

1. Cafe Cubano has awesome cheeseburgers!
2. La Costera had a HUGE burger, right Tony Toca! :D
3. Rocky's new and improved burger is excellent
4. Tom's Scandinavian Beach Bar is 'top rated' for la playa

Except for Burger King, I never had a good hamburger n DR. If you want to talk about fish or chicken, I had some great meals in DR.

mikelodge
02-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Oh La Roca has a good burger and fries too.

Yea I like the guy who runs the resturaunt next to Passions and it is reasonable and quick!

The Steak @ Steak and Sirloin is good also.

I am not sure if you are referring to the little chicken burger stand with the window opening in Passions because now you said next to and like the guy who runs it.

Before in #4 you said the bar that has a burger and fries which is Andys and is a bar with beer and drinks and bartenders not the chicken shack burger guy. Both are good I just got confused when you said you like the guy who runs it.

Mr Hillbilly
02-05-2010, 07:56 PM
I am referring to the guy in the window at Passions.Good Burger and fries very quick and the scenery ain't bad either!LOL

Apos
02-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Chris runs the burger stand and he's good people! The food is excellent and well priced...perhaps time for a proper review? :rolleyes::rofl:
I am not sure if you are referring to the little chicken burger stand with the window opening in Passions because now you said next to and like the guy who runs it.

Before in #4 you said the bar that has a burger and fries which is Andys and is a bar with beer and drinks and bartenders not the chicken shack burger guy. Both are good I just got confused when you said you like the guy who runs it.

gdogg
02-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Herman (Siempre Sol) used to have a really good and cheap burger. Is that still the case?

Apos
02-05-2010, 08:02 PM
This thread proves, to me at least, that there are PLENTY of great restaurant choices in Sosua! :iconTU:

You could eat dinner in a different, and excellent, restaurant every day for a month without repeating...it's great to have so many options! :corky:

Jimmydr
02-05-2010, 08:03 PM
This thread proves, to me at least, that there are PLENTY of great restaurant choices in Sosua! :iconTU:

You could eat dinner in a different, and excellent, restaurant every day for a month without repeating...it's great to have so many options! :corky:

I am not sure that there are 30 different good ones but I know there are about a dozen and you can eat many different meals in each and be very happy.

mikelodge
02-05-2010, 08:07 PM
I am referring to the guy in the window at Passions.Good Burger and fries very quick and the scenery ain't bad either!LOL

Chris does have a decent burger attached to Passions but it isn't 120 pesos with fries like Andy's. They both have there advantages. If I want take out I definitely go to Passions Burger/Chicken Wing shack or if you want to eat in Passions that is your only choice.

If I am going to sit down and eat at the bar I eat at Andy's because it is good and cheap at 120 for a decent burger with fresh fries and Mogli the chef always takes good care of you. Nice placemat and presentation with real silverware and lettuce, onion and tomatoe all included for 120 that is $3.33 add that to 50 peso beers and it is no wonder I am there for a hour at a time and LMAO when I get the check.

Plus you might be surprised how many little things I have seen walking by on a nice evening that you can't see when inside Passions. They walk up toward the end of PC and back. Some good deals to be had up there, not dimes but they party.

Apos
02-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Well, :D

There are 22 restaurants listed in the poll, plus ErikS's...the best kept secret in Sosua :lol:, and others that would not fit into the poll. I'd happily eat at pretty much any in the poll so I think I'm safe with my off the cuff estimate.
I am not sure that there are 30 different good ones but I know there are about a dozen and you can eat many different meals in each and be very happy.
Plus there are others not yet mentions like restaurant El Batey and La Finca, probably 2 of the top 5 in Sousa, but relatively unknown and other like the restaurants at Hotel Voromar and the el Colibre Hotel...but they're all TOP SECRET! :eek::rolleyes::rofl:

Apos
02-05-2010, 08:18 PM
I have never eaten at Andy's and was just wondering today how the food was there. Will have to check it out soon. As an added bonus there are, at least, 2 really cute chicas working there in the day! :wink::lol:
Chris does have a decent burger attached to Passions but it isn't 120 pesos with fries like Andy's. They both have there advantages. If I want take out I definitely go to Passions Burger/Chicken Wing shack or if you want to eat in Passions that is your only choice.

If I am going to sit down and eat at the bar I eat at Andy's because it is good and cheap at 120 for a decent burger with fresh fries and Mogli the chef always takes good care of you. Nice placemat and presentation with real silverware and lettuce, onion and tomatoe all included for 120 that is $3.33 add that to 50 peso beers and it is no wonder I am there for a hour at a time and LMAO when I get the check.

Plus you might be surprised how many little things I have seen walking by on a nice evening that you can't see when inside Passions. They walk up toward the end of PC and back. Some good deals to be had up there, not dimes but they party.

gdogg
02-05-2010, 08:19 PM
There are a couple of real good joints in Los Charamicos. Do they count? Like Central, with the good seafood.

Apos
02-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Unfortunately Central close a couple of years ago...maybe a little less. It's a salon now :(
I have some great memories from there! :iconTU:

There are a couple of real good joints in Los Charamicos. Do they count? Like Central, with the good seafood.

There are still a few decent Dominican style places but are really hole-in-the-wall places that you almost have to know where they are to find one. Someone here, Beads perhaps, recommended one close to Caribe Tours IIRC, and gave great directions. :biggrin:

gdogg
02-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Unfortunately Central close a couple of years ago...maybe a little less. It's a salon now :(

Damn!! I didn't know. I'm glad I got to experience it. Everyone who went there loved it, but both times I was there it was nearly empty. Not enough volume, I guess.

mikelodge
02-05-2010, 08:31 PM
I have never eaten at Andy's and was just wondering today how the food was there. Will have to check it out soon. As an added bonus there are, at least, 2 really cute chicas working there in the day! :wink::lol:

The food is very basic and nothing to brag about but drunk it is great and cheap. I know all about the girls that work there in fact everyone that works there but that is better PM'd for many reasons. Be careful of one of those girls is all I will say here.

Apos
02-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Damn!! I didn't know. I'm glad I got to experience it. Everyone who went there loved it, but both times I was there it was nearly empty. Not enough volume, I guess.
I vividly remember going there with BrooklynBeas and Magnum, along with Yenni, Mildred and another sister...Eri? Mildred was hammered and puked, not a nice sight! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ah, the memories!!! :rolleyes:

mikelodge
02-05-2010, 08:33 PM

There are still a few decent Dominican style places but are really hole-in-the-wall places that you almost have to know where they are to find one. Someone here, Beads perhaps, recommended one close to Caribe Tours IIRC, and gave great directions. :biggrin:

Now for seafood Maimon is still great. Much longer drive but I love it. :iconTU:

Apos
02-05-2010, 08:34 PM
I'm off to dinner soon...and will let you know how that goes maņana :D

psriches
02-05-2010, 08:37 PM

Speaking of food...it's lunch time...perhaps on the beach, nyone want to join us? ;):smile:Anybody here from New York ever try Rocky's pizza?? Can we get a review?

psriches
02-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Now for seafood Maimon is still great. Much longer drive but I love it. :iconTU:I usually hit that fresh fish spot located on the main highway in front of Charimicos. Much closer!

Blackarcher
02-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Herman (Siempre Sol) used to have a really good and cheap burger. Is that still the case?

The burger was decent, what makes it better is the foot traffic passing and stopping at Herman's

gdogg
02-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Anybody here from New York ever try Rocky's pizza?? Can we get a review?

Not from New York, but I've had Rocky's pizza. It's better than I expected it to be, but not like pizzeria pizza. It's big and filling, not thin like New York style. For a non-pizzeria, it's good. I think it was around 150 pesos for the ones I got (medium or large, can't remember...been a while) and it lasted me for two separate meals.

psriches
02-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Not from New York, but I've had Rocky's pizza. It's better than I expected it to be, but not like pizzeria pizza. It's big and filling, not thin like New York style. For a non-pizzeria, it's good. I think it was around 150 pesos for the ones I got (medium or large, can't remember...been a while) and it lasted me for two separate meals.I appreciate that Gdogg and Apos. Not that New York has the best pizza, it's just what i'm used too. So i asked!

JD426
02-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Now for seafood Maimon is still great. Much longer drive but I love it. :iconTU:

Where is this place, I think we tried going there one night by Motoconcho, seemed about 8-10 min ride too , and they were closed so we came back to town. Is it a stand alone building in the middle of nowhere ?

psriches
02-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Where is this place, I think we tried going there one night by Motoconcho, seemed about 8-10 min ride too , and they were closed so we came back to town. Is it a stand alone building in the middle of nowhere ?Driving from Sosua, you take the main highway through and past Puerto Plata heading towards Santiago. It's a small town about 15/20 mins past puerta plata, with many small restaurants along the sides of the road.

mikelodge
02-05-2010, 11:13 PM
Where is this place, I think we tried going there one night by Motoconcho, seemed about 8-10 min ride too , and they were closed so we came back to town. Is it a stand alone building in the middle of nowhere ?

You would have to have some big stones to do that on a moto. This is for people with a car go to POP and it is just past Oceanworld and Riu and the turn to BB a couple miles.

Like the first small town or not even town like crossing area. Several kick ass good seafood places nothing fancy but good and I am a picky bitch about my seafood.

JD426
02-05-2010, 11:39 PM
You would have to have some big stones to do that on a moto. This is for people with a car go to POP and it is just past Oceanworld and Riu and the turn to BB a couple miles.

Like the first small town or not even town like crossing area. Several kick ass good seafood places nothing fancy but good and I am a picky bitch about my seafood.

Yes I got that now, I thought it was the name of a restaurant, didnt realize it was a small town.
I am picky about my seafood as well. I will look into a fish's eyes and tell you when he was still swimming. I do quite a bit of fishing, even sold some swordfish and Tuna years ago, so they cant fool me too easily.
I will check out this town, but probably not til my July trip when we have a van.

mikelodge
02-05-2010, 11:59 PM
Yes I got that now, I thought it was the name of a restaurant, didnt realize it was a small town.
I am picky about my seafood as well. I will look into a fish's eyes and tell you when he was still swimming. I do quite a bit of fishing, even sold some swordfish and Tuna years ago, so they cant fool me too easily.
I will check out this town, but probably not til my July trip when we have a van.

You will love it. I had been up there when I stayed at Riu in June and had no idea it had a name since their names mean little to me.

Actually Beads recommended it to me in a post last summer. I have enjoyed it since and will again on my drives to POP and back to STI to fly out.

Apos
02-06-2010, 02:22 PM
I appreciate that Gdogg and Apos. Not that New York has the best pizza, it's just what i'm used too. So i asked!
Pizza at Rocky's is available from 5:00 pm and later so please do not arrive earlier than that...Right E? :D Apologies for not mentioning this before you came for an afternoon pie :lol:

Hemp
02-06-2010, 02:26 PM
NY used to have the best pizza hands down!!! (Brooklyn Slices from the 80's were second to none!) since Ive heard Chicago took that title years ago...havent made it up to chi-town yet for there Infamous "Deep Dish" pizza

I appreciate that Gdogg and Apos. Not that New York has the best pizza, it's just what i'm used too. So i asked!

Jimmydr
02-06-2010, 04:20 PM
NY used to have the best pizza hands down!!! (Brooklyn Slices from the 80's were second to none!) since Ive heard Chicago took that title years ago...havent made it up to chi-town yet for there Infamous "Deep Dish" pizza

NY still has the best pizza around but Philly has some as well.

Jimmy.Dr
02-06-2010, 04:46 PM
NY still has the best pizza around but Philly has some as well.

Just a pack of lowlife, puta chasing, broke losers in this site! :mad:

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A4PnKkUkU4)

Jimmydr
02-06-2010, 04:51 PM

This handle I have taken over, its one of mine now.

the_Jayman
02-06-2010, 05:05 PM

kinda sounds like Sultan . . . :eek: :mrgreen:

puta chase'n ? ? ? . . . mierda de'l toro ! ! ! (shit of the bull)

it's all about the companionship man . . . the comradery . . the cuba libres ! ! ! :D :corky: :D

Mr. Smooth
02-06-2010, 05:44 PM
1. For ribs - Rockys for me

2. For hot dogs - Lou's hands down. Is there a better way to spend an early evening than hanging at the Shark with a dog and a couple Presidentes? Well, er, uh, yeah, I guess there is. But this is a food thread dammit so I trust you get the jist of my question!

3. For burgers - I second what Apos says. Tom's bar on the beach. Have eaten one of his burgers at 5pm and didn't eat again until breakfast.

4. For pasta - The News Cafe. Opposite the Club Residential Condos, try the carbonara. I've never had better.

5. For fish and chips - The British Bulldog. Along the beach numbered in the low 100's, well before Herman's. Charlie and Vanessa are top notch folks and they use a family recipe for the batter. Very tasty.

As has been said before, Sosua has an incredible amount of great restaurants that can take care of any appetite at any budget. Yet another scintilating reason to hang out down there for vacation or longer.

gdogg
02-06-2010, 08:00 PM

I'm sure someone from Chicago has migrated to where you are and opened up a pizza place. If you truly like to eat, deep dish is the way to go.

gdogg
02-06-2010, 08:03 PM

...but your WU loving novia loves us. She just can't get enough!!
:wink:

Jimmydr
02-06-2010, 08:04 PM
...but your WU loving novia loves us. She just can't get enough!!
:wink:

Late as usual, this guy was banned and I took over the handle.:eek:

gdogg
02-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Late as usual, this guy was banned and I took over the handle.:eek:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

So I'm swinging at air, huh. Oh well.

vagabond
02-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Another place not on the list, or mentioned is the publick bar and restaurant at Hotel Don Andres, They serve decent food at decent prices both for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I eat breakfast there a lot. For lunch, I would reccomend the shoarma, one of many smaller lunch snacks.

ErikS
02-08-2010, 12:23 PM
OK, so how about a category "Best SuperBowl Spread"?

In my opinion, that would have to go to the New York Shark Bar.

Yesterday Lou had his annual SuperBowl special. Open Bar and all you can eat from 6pm till closing for 1500 pesos. :toast::eldrunko:

To whet our appetites, during the 1st Quarter the waitresses passed around trays of homemade, just out of the oven, french bread pizzas.

Then during the second quarter, there were Sabrete Hot Dogs with red onion sauce accompanied by individual lunchbags full of his hand cut french fries.

As the "Who" started the halftime show, Lou brought out the buffet.
His famous chicken wings and sauce.
Filet Mignon Beef and Broccoli stir fry with rice.
Dominican style potato salad
Baked Zita.

And then midway through the 4th quarter, platters of his Italian Sausage and Peppers Hero Sandwiches were passed around from table to table.

So I don't think anyone went away hungry! :iconTU:

I would have had photos, but I can't find my camera. Come to think of it, it seems to have gone missing right about the time The Jayman came over for dinner........h'mmmm, maybe I should check to see if one of the "Anna's" has it! :rolleyes:

gdogg
02-08-2010, 01:23 PM
And then midway through the 4th quarter, platters of his Italian Sausage and Peppers Hero Sandwiches were passed around from table to table

...that's what I'm talking about. Saving the best for last!! I could eat those the entire trip!!

JD426
02-08-2010, 05:28 PM
That is just Awesome...
Lou is DA BEST ....:iconTU:

ralphie1
02-08-2010, 05:54 PM
had a philly steak at cafe cubano the last night i was in sosua. was downright tasty. best food i had the entire trip.

the bun was so fresh and found that they buy their bread products fresh daily from a local bakery. the beef was sliced/chipped and wasnt all stringy like a lot of the DR beef but was tender and very tasty.

had carrot cake for dessert. mmmmmmmmm had whipped cream for frosting. the only thing i didnt like was the fact i didnt find the place sooner

Mr Hillbilly
02-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Pulled Pork Sandwich At Cafe Cubana isn't bad either.

rushdog34
02-08-2010, 08:09 PM
had a philly steak at cafe cubano the last night i was in sosua. was downright tasty. best food i had the entire trip.

the bun was so fresh and found that they buy their bread products fresh daily from a local bakery. the beef was sliced/chipped and wasnt all stringy like a lot of the DR beef but was tender and very tasty.

had carrot cake for dessert. mmmmmmmmm had whipped cream for frosting. the only thing i didnt like was the fact i didnt find the place sooner

you should try the hot fudge brownie sundae!!!!

ralphie1
02-08-2010, 09:59 PM
i will be trying the pulled pork and brownie sunday next trip, you can count on that guys.

what a breath of fresh air it was at cafe cubano after gnawing on a dry chicken at PJ;s, sitting for two hours at the restaurant just south of new garden (food wasnt bad, just took forever), eating the fattiest ribs i ever had in my life at rockies and i am drawing a blank where all else we ate but cubano was the tops in sosua

Cuba Libre
02-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Britannia was a place that I had breakfast a few times. It was nice.IMHO, it's gone downhill in the last year, especially for breakfast.

Jimmydr
02-09-2010, 03:12 PM
IMHO, it's gone downhill in the last year, especially for breakfast.

Everything I remember about Sosua is fading with time

1 - Sosua Palace
2 -Franks place
3 - Peso 50 - 1
4 - M & M 300 pesos

:(:(:(:(:(:(

Cuba Libre
02-09-2010, 03:21 PM
You all know I luv Rocky's but I am trying to be very even in my reviews. That said, some of the best pizza around comes out of the Rocky's pizza oven and the price is also better than most other places. Everyone I have pointed to Rocky's for the pizza has been impressed and are now fans and repeat customers. As good as the pizza has been over the years I find it even better now...not sure exactly why but give it a try and let us know what you think!
That sounds like an advertisement. :(

mikelodge
02-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Another place not on the list, or mentioned is the publick bar and restaurant at Hotel Don Andres, They serve decent food at decent prices both for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I eat breakfast there a lot. For lunch, I would reccomend the shoarma, one of many smaller lunch snacks.

Are you talking about Shawarma the middle eastern street food similar to a greek gyro only it can have many different meats in it. If you are I love those and will have to try it.

2 of my friends that grew up in Isreal want to go to those places everytime we have lunch in Minneapolis. The best one if you ever go there is called the Holyland. they have a grocery store adjoining it with some freaky stuff in it.

Hope that is what Andres has.

mikelodge
02-09-2010, 03:41 PM
That is just Awesome...
Lou is DA BEST ....:iconTU:

I agree but at almost 50 bucks assuming you might eat 15 dollars worth of food since many items were inexpensive things other than however much filet he put in a stir fry this deal would be best for heavy drinkers

I would have been there if I was in town and got a ride. :lol::lol::lol:

MisterPink
02-09-2010, 03:46 PM
That sounds like an advertisement. :(

HOSTERIA next to the open lot across from classicos....

i cant beleive that " hosteria pasta house" dosent have more votes??? this by far is the best food in sosua.... more so, if you factor in the cost... ive been to all these places many times and to sosua over 100 trips... this place is NEVER a miss... !!

Beads
02-09-2010, 03:48 PM

1 - Sosua Palace
2 -Franks place
3 - Peso 50 - 1
4 - M & M 300 pesos

:(:(:(:(:(:(

1 - Might be able to get a room but I doubt youd want to stay there right now. :rofl:

2 - Still open but selections looked poor the last 10 times I visited. Havent asked prices in ages as its just a 1 beer pitstop now.

3 - 36 to 1

4 - 500RD now I believe.

gdogg
02-09-2010, 03:56 PM
1 - Might be able to get a room but I doubt youd want to stay there right now. :rofl:

2 - Still open but selections looked poor the last 10 times I visited. Havent asked prices in ages as its just a 1 beer pitstop now.

3 - 36 to 1

4 - 500RD now I believe.

...at least 600RD, last I heard.

vagabond
02-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Are you talking about Shawarma the middle eastern street food similar to a greek gyro only it can have many different meats in it. If you are I love those and will have to try it.

2 of my friends that grew up in Isreal want to go to those places everytime we have lunch in Minneapolis. The best one if you ever go there is called the Holyland. they have a grocery store adjoining it with some freaky stuff in it.

Hope that is what Andres has.

No, it's not exactly Shawarma. On the menu it's called shoarma, it's from Holland, and maybe it's some kind of a variant of Shawarma. They have it both as a lunch snack, and as a dinner plate. I think it's very tasty anyway.

Cuba Libre
02-09-2010, 04:19 PM

i cant beleive that " hosteria pasta house" dosent have more votes??? this by far is the best food in sosua.... more so, if you factor in the cost... ive been to all these places many times and to sosua over 100 trips... this place is NEVER a miss... !!Thanks. I've walked past it 100's of times and never thought of trying it. Next time, I'll at least take a glance at the menu.

Cuba Libre
02-09-2010, 04:49 PM

1 - Sosua Palace
2 -Franks place
3 - Peso 50 - 1
4 - M & M 300 pesos

:(:(:(:(:(:(The peso was 50-1 only for a very brief period in 2004.

After it hit that level, they raised all the prices to compensate. Then the rate quickly fell to 28-1, but the prices remained the same. :( :( :(

But for that breif period when the peso was rising, the prices were the bargin of a lifetime!

Apos
02-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Yup I'm just a big shill! :rolleyes::lol:
That sounds like an advertisement. :(...but an unpaid advert ;)

Jimmydr
02-09-2010, 06:18 PM
The peso was 50-1 only for a very brief period in 2004.

After it hit that level, they raised all the prices to compensate. Then the rate quickly fell to 28-1, but the prices remained the same. :( :( :(

But for that breif period when the peso was rising, the prices were the bargin of a lifetime!

Chicas from Cristals were 2,000 for the night!

ralphie1
02-09-2010, 06:26 PM
...at least 600RD, last I heard.

just there last week. had new prices posted on the door and i paid 700 pesos for an hour. had a massage at kika or something like that behind the shark bar, almost identical technique for 500 pesos.

guess where i will go next time?

psriches
02-09-2010, 06:35 PM

i cant beleive that " hosteria pasta house" dosent have more votes??? this by far is the best food in sosua.... more so, if you factor in the cost... ive been to all these places many times and to sosua over 100 trips... this place is NEVER a miss... !!It's obvious they offer pasta dishes but can you recommend a few different dishes you've had and the prices? Thanks.

MisterPink
02-09-2010, 07:46 PM
It's obvious they offer pasta dishes but can you recommend a few different dishes you've had and the prices? Thanks.

yea sure... they make very good red-sauce with there pastas, also pesto is good, carbonarra is excellent,i change it up by adding shrimp or i ask if they got any fresh tuna to add accordingly..plus there apps are very good, bruchetta(tomato n onion on toast) sausage n cheese plate is very good..n my new favorite is there mini-meatballs w sauce. i could eat there every day and not have the same meal twice... if you want steak, go to el toro, shark bar has great hamburgers,chix wings,n steak nite is always good... but anytime im stuck, the pastahouse(hostaria) is safe bet....

gdogg
02-10-2010, 12:05 AM
just there last week. had new prices posted on the door and i paid 700 pesos for an hour. had a massage at kika or something like that behind the shark bar, almost identical technique for 500 pesos.

guess where i will go next time?

To Kika's of course. She's the best anyway...imho!

SeaWeed
02-10-2010, 07:01 AM

guess where i will go next time?mi thought the massages mi had at KiKa for 500 Pesos last reach where some of the best mi have ever had......

ralphie1
02-10-2010, 01:28 PM
To Kika's of course. She's the best anyway...imho!

cuter too

MisterPink
02-10-2010, 02:10 PM
i will post my choices for the best food in sosua across from what type of food...

gold list for food!!

dominican food - i go to this small cafeteria right next door to bon ice cream... must be there at 12 noon or you might miss it.... she only make 50 plates a day... usually 3 choices and all very good..... 125 pesos. cant beat it....

pastas- hosteria( see previous posts)

hamburger/hotdogs/bar snacks- shark bar.. special orders can be had if you give him some time. chix parm/ sausage n peppers....

pizza- this changes often cuz there really isnt a clear winner yet... but as of now- i go to the italian guy across from the kaka bar.. good bread/lasanga n sells square slices n riceballs.. very good if u can get-em right out the oven... only problem, this guy is hit or miss with his times... sometimes he's not open or closes early...

steak- el toro.. best filet mignon in sosua..

any special chix or veal dishes- i pay up for this but bolonga cant be beat...lemon scalopinni or chix w rice or potatos, tuna w shrimp sauce is great.. all these cost 400 pesos or more but worth it.

ribs - rocky's or big d on the beach is off the hook!!!

chicken cordon blu- chicken truck at the waterfront...leftside of the end of the road..... i know it looks shady... but its all i order there... best in sosua!! beautiful views at 6pm..

wildcard---- la finca- big orange building across from bon ice cream-

-if the old man is in there he cooks great... lobster bisque soup. pastas n i get a peppercorn steak. add the ceasar salad.. little expensive...

seafood- la casita on the beach in cabarete...best lobster n shrimp on the island!!! all im gonna say!! you'll be burpin garlic all night.but worth it... good way to keep away anoying hookers!!!!

last not least - chessesteak or turkey clubs sandwiches/ deserts-- the cubano across from classicos... sidewalk cafe owned by a cali couple (rod n wife) they make all kinds of diff sandwiches, bread pudding,brownie w ice cream. i usually wind up here or the pasta house when stuck... cant go wrong!

this is all i use when im down in sosua.. yes i try new places but nothing worth mentioning..

JD426
02-10-2010, 02:33 PM
i will post my choices for the best food in sosua across from what type of food...

gold list for food!!

dominican food - i go to this small cafeteria right next door to bon ice cream... must be there at 12 noon or you might miss it.... she only make 50 plates a day... usually 3 choices and all very good..... 125 pesos. cant beat it....

pastas- hosteria( see previous posts)

hamburger/hotdogs/bar snacks- shark bar.. special orders can be had if you give him some time. chix parm/ sausage n peppers....

pizza- this changes often cuz there really isnt a clear winner yet... but as of now- i go to the italian guy across from the kaka bar.. good bread/lasanga n sells square slices n riceballs.. very good if u can get-em right out the oven... only problem, this guy is hit or miss with his times... sometimes he's not open or closes early...

steak- el toro.. best filet mignon in sosua..

any special chix or veal dishes- i pay up for this but bolonga cant be beat...lemon scalopinni or chix w rice or potatos, tuna w shrimp sauce is great.. all these cost 400 pesos or more but worth it.

ribs - rocky's or big d on the beach is off the hook!!!

chicken cordon blu- chicken truck at the waterfront...leftside of the end of the road..... i know it looks shady... but its all i order there... best in sosua!! beautiful views at 6pm..

wildcard---- la finca- big orange building across from bon ice cream-

-if the old man is in there he cooks great... lobster bisque soup. pastas n i get a peppercorn steak. add the ceasar salad.. little expensive...

seafood- la casita on the beach in cabarete...best lobster n shrimp on the island!!! all im gonna say!! you'll be burpin garlic all night.but worth it... good way to keep away anoying hookers!!!!

last not least - chessesteak or turkey clubs sandwiches/ deserts-- the cubano across from classicos... sidewalk cafe owned by a cali couple (rod n wife) they make all kinds of diff sandwiches, bread pudding,brownie w ice cream. i usually wind up here or the pasta house when stuck... cant go wrong!

this is all i use when im down in sosua.. yes i try new places but nothing worth mentioning..

very good list bobby
The Cafeteria place I heard is good food, u will see the chicas eat there all the time. just a couple steps from the NG, very convenient & cheap

the LaFinca has a website too, caribbean-cuisine.com ? they pass out cards for free drinks in the street.

Hemp
02-10-2010, 04:07 PM
damn! interesting to see Rockys is still a fan favorite!

mikelodge
02-10-2010, 04:50 PM
damn! interesting to see Rockys is still a fan favorite!

Fordtech will post the longer version but he had 12 wings he said about one third the size of TGIF's and considered them a total joke for the money. I didn't see them but someone else must have

mikelodge
02-10-2010, 04:51 PM
banned

I had a sandwich there last trip and it was very basic but good. Definitely not a hell hole.

mikelodge
02-10-2010, 04:56 PM
I got a pizza last night at La Vaca the place with the cow between Jolly Roger and Hosteria and it was great. Picked up a large for 350 with ham, cheese, shrooms and something else.

Had seafood pasta, (spaghetti mariscos at histaria for lunch very good for 8 bucks and they don't gouge you on a bottle of pop.

290 for pasta ($8 and 40 pesos for soda) great lunch under 10 bucks filled me up had shrimp and clams and some other stuff in it.

Mr Hillbilly
02-10-2010, 05:16 PM
It's not in Sosua but the La Sirena in Puerto Plata the cafateria upstairs go there about noon.The food kind of sucks but the Eye candy is really good!

qwerty1
02-10-2010, 05:20 PM
It's not in Sosua but the La Sereina in Puerto Plata the cafateria upstairs go there about noon.The food kind of sucks but the Eye candy is really good!

The freshly squeezed jugo de naranja, blows Tropicana away and for about half the price. Not from concentrate and unpasturized too!

mikelodge
02-11-2010, 10:11 AM
The freshly squeezed jugo de naranja, blows Tropicana away and for about half the price. Not from concentrate and unpasturized too!

I had a nice piece of fish at Simply Red last night. Moro with a sauce was very good for about 10 bucks. I am still trying to decide where I like the fish best. Baileys is ok but only one choice sea bass. Simply Red 2 or 3 choices depending on the day.

I have not tried Terra Lindas Sirloin Room yet but Tigers menu photo shows Mahi which is always good. Tuna steak at Morua Mai last trip was good need to try again.

Rained briefly so I am hoping the sun will come back out and I will try a couple of beach spots.

mikelodge
02-11-2010, 10:18 AM
yea sure... they make very good red-sauce with there pastas, also pesto is good, carbonarra is excellent,i change it up by adding shrimp or i ask if they got any fresh tuna to add accordingly..plus there apps are very good, bruchetta(tomato n onion on toast) sausage n cheese plate is very good..n my new favorite is there mini-meatballs w sauce. i could eat there every day and not have the same meal twice... if you want steak, go to el toro, shark bar has great hamburgers,chix wings,n steak nite is always good... but anytime im stuck, the pastahouse(hostaria) is safe bet....

There menu says there signature dish is Chivo Haitiana Picante style spicy. I may try it since the seafood pasta was good but this is one of those very small places with the plastic chairs like the others down there out front. Order then get your food then you don't see a server until you ask for the check. Food is fine but not much service.

In fairness to them the price reflects it. It is a good deal and I am sure If I had wanted or needed something I could have hollered but I am accustomed to someone at least asking is everything fine or can I get you anything else.

Example no butter was offered for the cheap french bread provided with pasta.

Mr Hillbilly
02-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Mike try the Shrimp and Pasta @ Steak and Sirloin.

MisterPink
02-11-2010, 01:10 PM
There menu says there signature dish is Chivo Haitiana Picante style spicy. I may try it since the seafood pasta was good but this is one of those very small places with the plastic chairs like the others down there out front. Order then get your food then you don't see a server until you ask for the check. Food is fine but not much service.

In fairness to them the price reflects it. It is a good deal and I am sure If I had wanted or needed something I could have hollered but I am accustomed to someone at least asking is everything fine or can I get you anything else.

Example no butter was offered for the cheap french bread provided with pasta.

it seems you think your in a 5 star resturant in new york....lol.. in sosua the best you could hope for is the food comes within the hour, you wont get sick, n the place dosent pull the ole"switch the menu to the higher prices" trick...
if you want bread n butter, n a waiter askin you how is everything... go directly to bolongna.... sit in the air cond room, there food is excellent, service is on point... but you will pay for it... it all realitive... the food is just as good in hostaria but no fringe's or bells n whistles....

mikelodge
02-12-2010, 01:38 PM
it seems you think your in a 5 star resturant in new york....lol.. in sosua the best you could hope for is the food comes within the hour, you wont get sick, n the place dosent pull the ole"switch the menu to the higher prices" trick...
if you want bread n butter, n a waiter askin you how is everything... go directly to bolongna.... sit in the air cond room, there food is excellent, service is on point... but you will pay for it... it all realitive... the food is just as good in hostaria but no fringe's or bells n whistles....

I agree the food is good at hostaria, but not the service at Bologna.

When Medic and I went there in Jan. I have posted many times that all we ordered were 2 pizzas and it was very slow and the waiter even after being asked for napkins 3 times and yes I said cerviates and he smiled like he acknowledged me but finally Medic 1 had to go take some off another table.

When the pizza arrived we both asked for parmesan cheese and then again a second time as he passed minutes later before we got it.

He only had one table finishing and one new one besides us when we got there and it was daytime. Then when he got a fourth table he looked like very flustered. This guy was the worst waiter I have seen at anyplace in the DR including cheap places

mikelodge
02-14-2010, 05:40 PM

This trip after analyzing several factors like cost, quality of service, value for the money and of course quality and quantity of food I think the winner is Simply Red.

Example you go to Baileys for Fish which is Sea Bass and good but other than simple garnich it only comes with the one side like potato or rice ect. and that almost none existant plain salad bar. Service is somewhat on time but the cost kills it in my opinion. 340 pesos for the fish without the 26% added yet and one beer comes out to about a hundred wth the tax so your total cost is over 520 pesos once they add that 16% tax and 10% service fee.

520 pesos is fine if it rocked my world but is high compared to Simply RED

Simply RED is on Martinez about a block east of Bologna right on the corner.

The fish is 295 and a GRANDE Bohemia is 60 pesos (a beer special that may change) so my total since your check shows the fees built already in like Playero. Total cost 355 pesos still under 10 bucks and no tip box like at Baileys hoping I guess that you will fill it.

So for 400 with a small tip you get all this

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/160414b78769bac467.jpg

The bread basket that comes out first is 5 pieces of lightly toasted French bread with a garlic butter on it.

The entree with a fresh salad and nicely cooked warm veggies

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/160414b78769e8d7a4.jpg

I chose the potatoes fried with onions and butter but you can have mashed or pasta.

Here is what was left that I couldn't finish

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/160414b7876a009de0.jpg

mikelodge
02-14-2010, 05:46 PM
This trip after analyzing several factors like cost, quality of service, value for the money and of course quality and quantity of food I think the winner is Simply Red.

Example you go to Baileys for Fish which is Sea Bass and good but other than simple garnich it only comes with the one side like potato or rice ect. and that almost none existant plain salad bar. Service is somewhat on time but the cost kills it in my opinion. 340 pesos for the fish without the 26% added yet and one beer comes out to about a hundred wth the tax so your total cost is over 520 pesos once they add that 16% tax and 10% service fee.

The fish is 295 and a GRANDE Bohemia is 60 pesos (a beer special that may change) so my total since your check shows the fees built already in like Playero. Total cost 355 pesos still under 10 bucks and no tip box like at Baileys hoping I guess that you will fill it.

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/160414b78769bac467.jpg)

The bread basket that comes out first is 5 pieces of lightly toasted French bread with a garlic butter on it.

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/160414b78769e8d7a4.jpg)

I chose the potatoes fried with onions and butter but you can have mashed or pasta.

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/160414b7876a009de0.jpg)

I should have mentioned that was the Dorado Fish now here is the Moro from the other visit.
This time with mashed potatoes and both fishes come with a different sauce the Moro has a creamy red pepper sauce that is excellent well both sauces were excellent. Each one came with the salad you can see and warm cooked carrots, zucchini, broccoli, and green beans all fresh

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/160414b78779da17a6.jpg

Jimmydr
02-14-2010, 07:56 PM

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/160414b78769bac467.jpg)

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/160414b78769e8d7a4.jpg)

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/160414b7876a009de0.jpg)

Finally, something useful.

mikelodge
02-15-2010, 01:10 AM
Finally, something useful.

in between drinking fucking and eating I do try.

Several serious good stories to come when I get home.

2 blocks down her by Petes like Peyton place and I love it

MisterPink
02-15-2010, 07:15 PM
I should have mentioned that was the Dorado Fish now here is the Moro from the other visit.
This time with mashed potatoes and both fishes come with a different sauce the Moro has a creamy red pepper sauce that is excellent well both sauces were excellent. Each one came with the salad you can see and warm cooked carrots, zucchini, broccoli, and green beans all fresh

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/160414b78779da17a6.jpg)

ive been to bailiey's many times.... and most of the time im sick... maybe its me but out of all the places i eat, this place holds the record, so i cut it out...
as far as shopping around lookin for cheaper pricing... factor in this... most of the places like bolonga n hostaria have lots of customers, which means lots of food being bought n sold... not sitting around waiting for someone to come in and test it... so yes, you might find a cheaper filet of sole... but that one time you saved 50 pesos on some stale fish, it will cost you days of un-controlable shitting... or days of no-fucking n suckin... so ..im sure if you add that into your equation... fresher is the key when choosing your dinner for the night...!!!

Mr Hillbilly
02-15-2010, 07:23 PM
I have gotten sick almost every Dr trip except for last.
I stay away from salads.Drink Pepno and Coca Cola to line my stomach.I heard Dominican Honey can also coat your stomach.I stay away from Dominican bottled water and Dominican Ice.

mikelodge
02-15-2010, 07:29 PM
ive been to bailiey's many times.... and most of the time im sick... maybe its me but out of all the places i eat, this place holds the record, so i cut it out...
as far as shopping around lookin for cheaper pricing... factor in this... most of the places like bolonga n hostaria have lots of customers, which means lots of food being bought n sold... not sitting around waiting for someone to come in and test it... so yes, you might find a cheaper filet of sole... but that one time you saved 50 pesos on some stale fish, it will cost you days of un-controlable shitting... or days of no-fucking n suckin... so ..im sure if you add that into your equation... fresher is the key when choosing your dinner for the night...!!!

That is why I have been to Simply Red 3 times this trip because everything is so nice and fresh. Not to mention one of the most important things consistent. The same quality food and service each time.

mikelodge
02-15-2010, 07:40 PM
I stay away from salads.Drink Pepno and Coca Cola to line my stomach.I heard Dominican Honey can also coat your stomach.I stay away from Dominican bottled water and Dominican Ice.

I just met Nomad02 who was in SD before here for a early dinner or late lunch at Hosteria. The first time I ate the spaghetti with seafood I had quite a few small shrimp and some clams and a small amount of variety with meager service.

Today I order the same thing wanting to fill up on Carbs before drinking and same dish with Mariscos however today several small clams and the rest all cheap tough octopuss NO SHRIMP at all.

Nomad ordered the Veal Parmigianna and took one bite out of it and said it is horrible and can't eat it. He ate his fries and put a napkin over it and we waited 10 minutes for our check after asking. I would have sent it back if it was aweful or maybe it was just his opinion.

He said it wasn't Veal and agreed with me that neither of us expected it to be since they use that word loosely to describe thin sliced beef off a cow not a Veal calf.

He has been here before and was in CR before SD where he said he met Yayow in a Casa :lol: He thought the stuff might have been goat but it looked like brown meatloaf with ketchup on it.

Not to bash this place many like but 2 visits and the service poor both times this time confirmed by someone else along with poor quality food.

He is here for a month and won't eat there again nor will I when they are that inconsistant. I will stick to places that stay consistant even if they are the Cuban sandwich or La Vocha Pizza or Simply Red or Baileys or even the Chickens grilled in front of Europa at least they stay the same.

MisterPink
02-16-2010, 09:44 AM
That is why I have been to Simply Red 3 times this trip because everything is so nice and fresh. Not to mention one of the most important things consistent. The same quality food and service each time.

obviously a new place so i will try in next month... now is this place closer to playa chiquitta casino or the other side of bolonga???

mikelodge
02-16-2010, 11:21 AM
obviously a new place so i will try in next month... now is this place closer to playa chiquitta casino or the other side of bolonga???

If you were walking East on martinez like from Dr Rosen going toward Bolgana you would keep going east about a block and a half or maybe 2 and it is on the right side of Martinez on the corner.

They have a fenced in property to avoid those annoying walk thru venders. That casino way down by Voramar is over another mile with Coco half way.

mikelodge
02-22-2010, 11:20 PM

Another great place to try is Chile's up at Mulatta II it is a Thai restaurant that advertises real Thai cooks. I was talking to Peter about it at Passions and he said it is owned by a German guy he knew and confirmed it has real Thai cooks.

They also offer Thai massage--( I hope not from the cooks :rofl::lol:)

I was up there to eat one night and didn't even know that was the place since it was dark and I didn't drive. When I went back on a Monday I found out they are open 5 nights a week Wed.-Sun from 6-10 or 11pm. Excellent real Thai food.

Anybody have the massage there?

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/160414b787698a28c3.jpg

WickedWillie
02-25-2010, 07:22 PM
Another great place to try is Chile's up at Mulatta II it is a Thai restaurant that advertises real Thai cooks. I was talking to Peter about it at Passions and he said it is owned by a German guy he knew and confirmed it has real Thai cooks.

They also offer Thai massage--( I hope not from the cooks :rofl::lol:)

I was up there to eat one night and didn't even know that was the place since it was dark and I didn't drive. When I went back on a Monday I found out they are open 5 nights a week Wed.-Sun from 6-10 or 11pm. Excellent real Thai food.

Anybody have the massage there?

Mentioned this in post number 50 a few days ago. Great place. The German owner's Thai wife and family do all the cooking. And he has (or had) Mekong whisky for those who wish to relive those hazy Pattaya nights.

As far as I know the family members do the massages as well. I don't think you can expect a happy ending.

SGA
03-13-2010, 08:36 PM

that's my favorite so far too, but i'm still holding out for somewhere that uses actual mozzarella and not that stinky dominican cheese.

mikelodge
03-13-2010, 11:13 PM
Mentioned this in post number 50 a few days ago. Great place. The German owner's Thai wife and family do all the cooking. And he has (or had) Mekong whisky for those who wish to relive those hazy Pattaya nights.

As far as I know the family members do the massages as well. I don't think you can expect a happy ending.

I will be satisfied with the great food in a couple weeks up there and if it ends happily with a visiting cousin all the better. :lol:

Can't wait to get back to the north coast I am missing Sosua and Cabarete. :biggrin:

donquixote
03-14-2010, 06:51 AM
1) orchadee: great for supper, good service and prices
2) simply red : prices fair, and presentation excellent
3) baileys, i like the salad bar, not too large but ok, however the prices are climbing all the time
4) at the corner of dr rosen and the pop highway is a little place where you get great chicken sandwiches for 30 peso
5) if you are near la union, there is a place named after fish right on the corner...great food, prices and beer

prtyr2
03-14-2010, 06:57 AM

That is because the burger meat is rarely imported and dominican beef sucks. I am not a burger guy but when I am in the mood, HRC and Champions fit the bill in la capital.

mikelodge
03-14-2010, 12:42 PM
3) baileys, i like the salad bar, not too large but ok, however the prices are climbing all the time
4) at the corner of dr rosen and the pop highway is a little place where you get great chicken sandwiches for 30 peso
5) if you are near la union, there is a place named after fish right on the corner...great food, prices and beer

1) Never tried Orchidee but I suppose I should and will

2) Simply Red is excellent in prices, quality and presentations

3) I like baileys food but agree about the prices especially when they add that extra 26% bull shit at the end for tax and house tip then expect a nice tip for the server in the little wood treasure chest besides. Oh and that salad bar is like 2 feet by 2 feet not much there I would have to agree.

4) curious what this chicken sandwich place is no you have a picture since that is a pretty busy corner. DR and the highway corner has the parking lot to the farmacia and bus tour place on north west side and I don't think much on the south side of the highway other than a gambling room or something unless it sits back a ways from the road. So I am guessing you are talking about the corner on the NE side with many small businesses

5) Many great fish places in many areas.

mikelodge
03-25-2010, 08:24 PM

Next week we will have to have a dining/Pub crawl and hit up all of them on the list that haven't donated yet to try to even get small things to raffle at the BBQ. Especially the big named Bars and Restaurants and I would think the newest ones trying to get a good Reputation.

Always looks good to Donate. :biggrin:

balcoach
03-25-2010, 09:03 PM

This place is definately on point. If your headed toward the Airport from Sosua, its the 2nd street in La Union, right after the ball park. Make the left and its right there on the left hand corner. A lil bar/calmado across the street. A definate must and very light on the wallet!

gdogg
03-26-2010, 02:25 AM
Oddly enough, the best fried chicken I had on the island was at a D.R. McDonald's. Seriously!

Apos
03-26-2010, 12:36 PM
1) Never tried Orchidee but I suppose I should and will

2) Simply Red is excellent in prices, quality and presentations

3) I like baileys food but agree about the prices especially when they add that extra 26% bull shit at the end for tax and house tip then expect a nice tip for the server in the little wood treasure chest besides. Oh and that salad bar is like 2 feet by 2 feet not much there I would have to agree.

4) curious what this chicken sandwich place is no you have a picture since that is a pretty busy corner. DR and the highway corner has the parking lot to the farmacia and bus tour place on north west side and I don't think much on the south side of the highway other than a gambling room or something unless it sits back a ways from the road. So I am guessing you are talking about the corner on the NE side with many small businesses

5) Many great fish places in many areas.

It's the place with the bikes in front...very good food and inexpensive as can be! :corky:
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/33364bace19556847.jpg

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/33364bace193b8ae8.jpg

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/33364bace192e88b2.jpg

Downtown
05-01-2010, 08:52 AM
I just met Nomad02 who was in SD before here for a early dinner or late lunch at Hosteria. The first time I ate the spaghetti with seafood I had quite a few small shrimp and some clams and a small amount of variety with meager service.

Today I order the same thing wanting to fill up on Carbs before drinking and same dish with Mariscos however today several small clams and the rest all cheap tough octopuss NO SHRIMP at all.

Nomad ordered the Veal Parmigianna and took one bite out of it and said it is horrible and can't eat it. He ate his fries and put a napkin over it and we waited 10 minutes for our check after asking. I would have sent it back if it was aweful or maybe it was just his opinion.

He said it wasn't Veal and agreed with me that neither of us expected it to be since they use that word loosely to describe thin sliced beef off a cow not a Veal calf.

He has been here before and was in CR before SD where he said he met Yayow in a Casa :lol: He thought the stuff might have been goat but it looked like brown meatloaf with ketchup on it.

Not to bash this place many like but 2 visits and the service poor both times this time confirmed by someone else along with poor quality food.

He is here for a month and won't eat there again nor will I when they are that inconsistant. I will stick to places that stay consistant even if they are the Cuban sandwich or La Vocha Pizza or Simply Red or Baileys or even the Chickens grilled in front of Europa at least they stay the same.

If you are referring to the chicken stand across the street from the Europa and on the corner across from Vince's VI VI Samba bar, I would definitely recommend you do not eat their food. On my last trip to Sosua, about 6 weeks ago, I had their chicken. Now I cannot be 100% positive I got sick from their food, but it was the only place other than a restaurant that I ate at, when I became very ill. I came down with serious stomach pains and diarrhea. I went to the Cabarete Medical Clinic on the highway just east of Sosua, gave all the usual bodily fluid samples and was diagnosed with contracting a parasite (amoeba). I was prescribed metronidazole, a commonly used medication for parasitic infections. However, the symptoms continued for almost a week later, even after I had returned home. It was so bad that I had to go to the emergency ward at the hospital near where I live for more tests. Their conclusion.....I was misdiagnosed in the DR and I had actually contracted salmonella. A short 5 day prescription of Cipro cleared it up. So my advice to everyone is do not eat any cooked food from roadside stands. You are literally into a crap shoot. I had been eating roadside cooked food for many years withiout issue, but you never can tell about their hygiene and food preparation methods, especially when the food is unrefrigerated and exposed to the outdoor ambient heat and humidity. It certainly is not worth saving a few dollars to get a quick, cheap meal and wind up infirm for any part of your vacation.

brian101
05-12-2010, 02:27 PM
The best place I found for both breakfast and lunch was the British Bulldog Bar on the beach..quality bacon and the best fish and chips I had.

The burgers in La Passions were the tastiest I found, I had Lorena's tits and pussy for dessert and I totally recommend them too ;)

The friendly Canadian couple that run the Brittania Bar serve very good meals in a good location, and as the Bulldog Bar isn't an option, Brittania gets my vote.

mikelodge
05-12-2010, 09:49 PM
If you are referring to the chicken stand across the street from the Europa and on the corner across from Vince's VI VI Samba bar, I would definitely recommend you do not eat their food. On my last trip to Sosua, about 6 weeks ago, I had their chicken. Now I cannot be 100% positive I got sick from their food, but it was the only place other than a restaurant that I ate at, when I became very ill. I came down with serious stomach pains and diarrhea. I went to the Cabarete Medical Clinic on the highway just east of Sosua, gave all the usual bodily fluid samples and was diagnosed with contracting a parasite (amoeba). I was prescribed metronidazole, a commonly used medication for parasitic infections. However, the symptoms continued for almost a week later, even after I had returned home. It was so bad that I had to go to the emergency ward at the hospital near where I live for more tests. Their conclusion.....I was misdiagnosed in the DR and I had actually contracted salmonella. A short 5 day prescription of Cipro cleared it up. So my advice to everyone is do not eat any cooked food from roadside stands. You are literally into a crap shoot. I had been eating roadside cooked food for many years withiout issue, but you never can tell about their hygiene and food preparation methods, especially when the food is unrefrigerated and exposed to the outdoor ambient heat and humidity. It certainly is not worth saving a few dollars to get a quick, cheap meal and wind up infirm for any part of your vacation.

A few tips that might help others here. Personally I get a prescription for Cipro to start taking the day before going just to me safe (with a doctors consent) like many other members and take that acididullpylus (sp) yogurt bacteria in a pill and high doses of vitamin C and E along with Centrum for the others.

But If you know these multiple stands on this corner that work together to some extent you know they serve hundreds a day most all days. The motos and cars picking it up is a site to see.

My rule is I only take what is on a hot grill and I pick one that looks very done. You can tell when the skin shrinks up that the blood has cooked out. As they cut it up if you were to see any blood get a different one. You won't because they know what they are doing.

My guess is you may have got it from something else but who knows. I am glad you are well. I would worry more about side items that are not always hot.

mikelodge
06-30-2010, 11:29 PM
A few tips that might help others here. Personally I get a prescription for Cipro to start taking the day before going just to me safe (with a doctors consent) like many other members and take that acididullpylus (sp) yogurt bacteria in a pill and high doses of vitamin C and E along with Centrum for the others.

But If you know these multiple stands on this corner that work together to some extent you know they serve hundreds a day most all days. The motos and cars picking it up is a site to see.

My rule is I only take what is on a hot grill and I pick one that looks very done. You can tell when the skin shrinks up that the blood has cooked out. As they cut it up if you were to see any blood get a different one. You won't because they know what they are doing.

My guess is you may have got it from something else but who knows. I am glad you are well. I would worry more about side items that are not always hot.

With all the new Aids and Gonareaha scares and deaths I think I will be avoiding any food places with questionable cleanliness and some places where the food sits around to long in the heat. Simply Red with its open kitchen and superb presentation and great detail will be my first stop.

Can't afford to catch one of the REA sisters from a dirty utensil simply wiped off with a small speck of food bourne infected matter.

FritoBandito
07-11-2010, 12:16 AM
Anybody ever eat at La Central restaurant in Charamicos??? I hear the seafood is pretty good there.

Apos
07-11-2010, 12:22 AM
It was great when it was open but, it closed years ago and is now a nail salon :eek::icontd:
Anybody ever eat at La Central restaurant in Charamicos??? I hear the seafood is pretty good there.

gdogg
07-11-2010, 09:03 AM
It was great when it was open but, it closed years ago and is now a nail salon :eek::icontd:

And it is greatly missed. I always wondered how they turned a profit, serving great seafood for almost nothing!

JD426
07-11-2010, 09:10 AM
I have never eaten in Charamicos, are there ANY worthwile restaurants there right now ? ESP seafood.. if any.

gdogg
07-11-2010, 09:19 AM
I have never eaten in Charamicos, are there ANY worthwile restaurants there right now ? ESP seafood.. if any.

Michael's. Great food with an even better ocean view! Not cheap though.

MisterPink
07-11-2010, 02:46 PM
Michael's. Great food with an even better ocean view! Not cheap though.

When was the last time you saw Michael's kitchen open, 2006, perhaps you were referring to Atlantico?tfcm

gdogg
07-11-2010, 02:49 PM
When was the last time you saw Michael's kitchen open, 2006, perhaps you were referring to Atlantico?tfcm

2006. Were you there with me or something? I call it the same, but I defer to you.

MisterPink
07-11-2010, 02:53 PM
2006. Were you there with me or something? I call it the same, but I defer to you.

Both kitchens are closed now actually, the bars still serve, and the sunset view is spectacular. We may have met at an Aguilas game?tfcm

MisterPink
07-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Both kitchens are closed now actually, the bars still serve, and the sunset view is spectacular. We may have met at an Aguilas game?tfcm

i think i saw this game live.... what action...glad to see the americans representing...by the way, atlaticos is closed.. but here is a kick in the head that i went to the other night, the chicken truck by the waterfront hotel is still open and still makes the best cordon blue in sosua... i wont try anything else tho... beautiful views...my new favorite place is d'colores. right across from bolonga, and down twords chiquita a blk ,they have the best pizza in sosua right now... half the price of bolonga...they deliver too....ask 4 stefano...

Apos
07-11-2010, 06:33 PM
I used to really enjoy their pizza and recommended them to many. Unfortunately the last time I tried them I was underwhelmed by the food and surprised at how much the price had increased. Too bad but I'm still looking for a pizza consistently better, and cheaper, than Rocky's and I'm not finding it! :rolleyes::lol:
i think i saw this game live.... what action...glad to see the americans representing...by the way, atlaticos is closed.. but here is a kick in the head that i went to the other night, the chicken truck by the waterfront hotel is still open and still makes the best cordon blue in sosua... i wont try anything else tho... beautiful views...my new favorite place is d'colores. right across from bolonga, and down twords chiquita a blk ,they have the best pizza in sosua right now... half the price of bolonga...they deliver too....ask 4 stefano...

MisterPink
07-11-2010, 11:38 PM
I used to really enjoy their pizza and recommended them to many. Unfortunately the last time I tried them I was underwhelmed by the food and surprised at how much the price had increased. Too bad but I'm still looking for a pizza consistently better, and cheaper, than Rocky's and I'm not finding it! :rolleyes::lol:

I guess you never ate the Pizza at Oo La Vache in Sosua or Pomodoro in Cabarete? Rocky's Pizza, no comment. tfcm

Apos
07-12-2010, 12:31 AM
Oh La Vache, yes. It can be good but not necessarily better, and much more expensive that Rocky's...but really I'm just havin' a little fun :rolleyes:

Even the pizza boy from Ohio LUVs Rocky's pizza. :p

I really believe that most of the negative posters regarding Rocky's pizza simply have not given it a fair chance, if they've eaten it at all! :wink:;)

I'm sure that you've at least tried it recently....right?
I guess you never ate the Pizza at Oo La Vache in Sosua or Pomodoro in Cabarete? Rocky's Pizza, no comment. tfcm
...and I tend to avoid Cabarete. Fun to visit but really not my thing, although I have had some excellent meals at various restaurants there, just not at Pomodoro. :corky:

mikelodge
07-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Oh La Vache, yes. It can be good but not necessarily better, and much more expensive that Rocky's...but really I'm just havin' a little fun :rolleyes:

Even the pizza boy from Ohio LUVs Rocky's pizza. :p

I really believe that most of the negative posters regarding Rocky's pizza simply have not given it a fair chance, if they've eaten it at all! :wink:;)

I'm sure that you've at least tried it recently....right?
...and I tend to avoid Cabarete. Fun to visit but really not my thing, although I have had some excellent meals at various restaurants there, just not at Pomodoro. :corky:

Oh La Vache has better cheese and Bologna is decent. I havn't tried Rockies but was disappointed with DColur sp. The large was cheaper than the others but smaller and less toppings.

We have much better Pizza almost everywhere in the US that I only eat it once a week or so there out of boredom with the food.

hugrad95a
07-16-2010, 12:48 PM
My five favorite top places to eat in Sousua. Not necessary in any order.

1) Rocky's
2) Big D's
3) Baileys
4) Alberto Tipico's
5) Scotch and Sirloin.
5a) Monfongo King

mikelodge
07-16-2010, 12:55 PM
My five favorite top places to eat in Sousua. Not necessary in any order.

1) Rocky's
2) Big D's
3) Baileys
4) Alberto Tipico's
5) Scotch and Sirloin.
5a) Monfongo King

Next time I am in town I am bring one of those Fake Rubber Dog Terds.

Then when I get my bill at Baileys and they add the tax on to the already to high prices then add on the 10% service fee or tip also then deliver it in those wood treasure chests expecting it to be filled with tip money I am going to put the Terd in there. :rofl:

naptime
07-16-2010, 02:01 PM
So after this most recent trip, i need to update....

Top of my list is still rockys. Best wings. And holy shig, his new bleu cheese burger.....WOW! and of course the steak and the pizza round out my choices. ( I'm not a rib guy but you all know about those)

Pulling into second place, replacing lacostera, is Baileys. Nothing on the menu looked good or had a nice price. But hugrad and a couple of the other guys had the imported beef steak. Tried it. Loved it. Best cut of beef I've had in the dr so far.

Added to my list, believe it or not........ new garden! This was the first time I had ever stayed there. And I had never eaten there either.... i was extremely impressed. Had breakfast daily. But dinner is what impressed me. Beef carpaccio, grilled chicken breast with cajun butter, their pasta, and more. They put a lot of effort into the menu, and the presentation.

Lacostera is still up there. But I was not happy with this last trip. Received the wrong food. Trey and I both did. As if frankie was back in the kitchen viewing orders as mere suggestions, and instead cooking what he wanted. And the cut of meat was not good.

And still like the crust on oh la vache pizza. Not crazy about the cheese or sauce as compared to rockys. But love the crust andtoppings

mikelodge
07-16-2010, 02:08 PM
So after this most recent trip, i need to update....

Top of my list is still rockys. Best wings. And holy shig, his new bleu cheese burger.....WOW! and of course the steak and the pizza round out my choices. ( I'm not a rib guy but you all know about those)

Pulling into second place, replacing lacostera, is Baileys. Nothing on the menu looked good or had a nice price. But hugrad and a couple of the other guys had the imported beef steak. Tried it. Loved it. Best cut of beef I've had in the dr so far.

Added to my list, believe it or not........ new garden! This was the first time I had ever stayed there. And I had never eaten there either.... i was extremely impressed. Had breakfast daily. But dinner is what impressed me. Beef carpaccio, grilled chicken breast with cajun butter, their pasta, and more. They put a lot of effort into the menu, and the presentation.

Lacostera is still up there. But I was not happy with this last trip. Received the wrong food. Trey and I both did. As if frankie was back in the kitchen viewing orders as mere suggestions, and instead cooking what he wanted. And the cut of meat was not good.

And still like the crust on oh la vache pizza. Not crazy about the cheese or sauce as compared to rockys. But love the crust andtoppings

I still find Simply Red the best for the fish or steak with the gourmet sauces and persentation for the money. I haven't tried their pizza but will next trip If I survive Colombia.

naptime
07-16-2010, 02:21 PM
I haven't tried simply red yet.

I do have a bone to pick with some of you folks. and I THINK you are one of them.

MOFONGO KING and mofongo in general.

what. the. fuck.

I had seen several of you talk about mofongo but didn't know what it was.

so on the beach the other day, we stopped at mofongo king, figuring they must have the best.

wow. Trey took one bite and Damned near puked. I got brave and took a second bite dipped in the sauce. and I Damned near puked.

I believe in trying something before you knock it. but I could have done without that shit. almost 300 pesos for two bites of smashed up dog shit.

I never let food go to waste in the Dr. iif I can't finish a meal, I get the leftovers to go for the street kids.

I hope they liked it. if so, they ate well. we had two full orders!

mikelodge
07-16-2010, 02:33 PM
I haven't tried simply red yet.

I do have a bone to pick with some of you folks. and I THINK you are one of them.

MOFONGO KING and mofongo in general.

what. the. fuck.

I had seen several of you talk about mofongo but didn't know what it was.

so on the beach the other day, we stopped at mofongo king, figuring they must have the best.

wow. Trey took one bite and Damned near puked. I got brave and took a second bite dipped in the sauce. and I Damned near puked.

I believe in trying something before you knock it. but I could have done without that shit. almost 300 pesos for two bites of smashed up dog shit.

I never let food go to waste in the Dr. iif I can't finish a meal, I get the leftovers to go for the street kids.

I hope they liked it. if so, they ate well. we had two full orders!

You must be referring to Hugrad because I have never uttered the words mofongo in speech nor print. Hell I don't even know what it means but it doesn't sound good. I don't think we have that in MN. :rofl:

hugrad95a
07-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Naptime, what's funny about mofongo king is I dont like the mofongo there either. I go for the seafood. I had the grilled seabass which was good. But what I really like there is the Seafood Stew. The first time I had the Mofongo there I didnt really dig it either. But that Seafood stew had me full for the whole day. It has Lobster,Shrimp, fish, and veggies. I also had the Chicken cordon blue with Rice and beans and I was damn full for the day.

naptime
07-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Lol yeah i know hugrad talks about it. I know a few others everytime someone talks about a restaurant they pipe in with " how was the mofongo!?" Lol

Thought it was you. Not sure who it is then.

But let me tell you what. It's the shavings from horseshit!

Basically the mofongo at mofongo king was mashed up plantains, with lots of garlic, and deep fried pork skin. Not crisp like a pork rind. But hard and crunch like super thick rock hard burned bacon. Its all mashed up like mashed potatoes with crunch pig skin. Cooked and then put inva serving dish that looks like a masher . And a side of garlic butter. Or should i say liquid garlic wi added on top.th a splash of butter flavor added on top.

Mike I can not truly convey just how disgusting that shit was. Taste, smell, texture, presentation, price. All F's

naptime
07-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Naptime, what's funny about mofongo king is I dont like the mofongo there either. I go for the seafood. I had the grilled seabass which was good. But what I really like there is the Seafood Stew. The first time I had the Mofongo there I didnt really dig it either. But that Seafood stew had me full for the whole day. It has Lobster,Shrimp, fish, and veggies. I also had the Chicken cordon blue with Rice and beans and I was damn full for the day.

So, where do you like your mofongo from?

Btw Trey had the chicken mofongo and it was no better.

naptime
07-16-2010, 03:14 PM

hugrad95a
07-16-2010, 03:42 PM

I may have to try monfongo here in NYC. Cause I didnt like the Mofongo at Mofongo king. I love mangu but I didnt like mofongo.. I saw a young dominican couple order the shrimp mofongo and it looked good but I had the pork mofongo it was dry as hell. I would eat there but now Mofongo.

papi_sosua
07-25-2010, 12:35 AM
La Contera: Great breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Especially their #1 breakfast surely is one of the great values (coffee, juice, egg, breakfast rolls, cheese, cold cut, marmalade, and butter) to be had in Sosua at RDP 150. Highly recommended.

El Torro: Worst restaurant experience in a long, long time: (i) beverage service mid-meal after 30 min.; (ii) wrong side item for companion; (iii) poor quality of meat; (iv) not prepared according to instructions (medium came out raw). Quite apparently the chef was intoxicated that evening as could be observed through the service window. What a dump...

Panaderia Moser (German bakery): No better place to get a hot coffee and freshly baked goods as early as 7 am in the morning. Three outdoor tables allow for consumption on-site. Even my Haitiana got used to getting up at 6:30 am for an early breakfast.

gdogg
07-25-2010, 02:08 AM

The seafood stew at Mofongo King is delicious! I have never actually tried Mofongo before, always looked iffy to me...

...but if I ever try it, it may be in Puerto Rico or at a Puerto Rican restaurant. The best looking mofongo I've seen was from a Puerto Rican restaurant (saw it on some Food Network show).

http://www.allthelyrics.com/forum/attachments/learning-spanish-language-and-misc-translations/502d1225803755-spanish-slang-clarifications-295645984_1bc6ed236e.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mofongo.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mofongo.jpg

hugrad95a
07-25-2010, 02:48 AM
The seafood stew at Mofongo's is off the hook. I forgot to take a picture of it before but here are the after pictures.

http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy226/hugrad95/IMG_1510.jpg

http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy226/hugrad95/IMG_1507.jpg

macula
07-28-2010, 06:46 AM
I love Rocky's. I'm not an adventurous eater so I felt comfortable eating from a "familiar" menu. It takes them a while to prepare the food but that was perfect time for me to relax and drink to Presidentes while watching the chicas pass.

mikelodge
07-28-2010, 11:55 AM
I love Rocky's. I'm not an adventurous eater so I felt comfortable eating from a "familiar" menu. It takes them a while to prepare the food but that was perfect time for me to relax and drink to Presidentes while watching the chicas pass.

You might take a walk up Martinez and try Simpy Red. You don't need adventure there to enjoy a nice steak or a few types of fish fillets with a sauce to match along with salad, and your choice of potatoes including mashed or fried and even a bread basket all for $10 like 340-360RD. Happy Hour they have cheap drinks too.

CaseOne
09-23-2010, 12:02 AM
I voted for Susana's..not only is she sweet..but she makes killer food. Ate there 4 out of 7 days. Arro abichuela...pollo guisado..platanos..best meal ever. I think it was under 200 pesos.

mikelodge
09-23-2010, 12:29 AM
I voted for Susana's..not only is she sweet..but she makes killer food. Ate there 4 out of 7 days. Arro abichuela...pollo guisado..platanos..best meal ever. I think it was under 200 pesos.

Is she still just of PC behind the bar or did she move again. I remember she was down by the sports bar mid block then moved closer to the chicken guys by Europa, how about now?

CaseOne
09-23-2010, 01:10 AM
Closer to the chicken guys and a block before the scotia bank!

Nakom
09-23-2010, 03:10 PM
#1 Baileys
#2 Bologna - italian joint on the street behind the baseball diamond
#3 Scotch and Sirloin
#4 Big D's (passions or the beach)
#5A Shark Bar (burgers)
#5B Rockys (ribs or breakfast)
#5C First chicken stand across from 4 Roses (special sauce)

DRCowboy
09-23-2010, 03:34 PM
You might take a walk up Martinez and try Simpy Red. You don't need adventure there to enjoy a nice steak or a few types of fish fillets with a sauce to match along with salad, and your choice of potatoes including mashed or fried and even a bread basket all for $10 like 340-360RD. Happy Hour they have cheap drinks too.

Where is Simply Red located?

DRCowboy
09-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Closer to the chicken guys and a block before the scotia bank!
Susana's - Beside Bar Samba?

Apos
09-23-2010, 04:12 PM
Susana's was, last I saw :rolleyes:, across Pedro Clisante, opposite Samba bar, just before Villa Flor's driveway. Definitely the nicest place she's been located.

Now located more or less at B3 and formerly at the red X
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/33364c9bb7aa9f998.jpg
(http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=87016)

JD426
09-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Samba bar is closed I think. Victor lost his lease or something.
Apos, does Susana's have steps you have to walk up ?

Apos
09-23-2010, 06:13 PM
Yes, 2 or 3 IIRC
Samba bar is closed I think. Victor lost his lease or something.
Apos, does Susana's have steps you have to walk up ?

Nice glass and wood window panels that can be open up/folded back.

It's a very nice bar/restaurant.

The last time I was there I managed to do something that I very rarely do.....:D

DRCowboy
09-24-2010, 07:16 AM
Yes, 2 or 3 IIRC

The last time I was there I managed to do something that I very rarely do.....:D

Good or bad?

Also I think I got it right:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?t=h&hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=111798750051056722944.000486051286601e056d4&source=embed&ll=19.761309,-70.516123&spn=0.031099,0.018067&z=15
There was an older thread that had Susanna's moving evry month or so.

Also where is Simply Red. I see a lot of postings about their virtues but have not been able to pinpoint.

Apos
09-24-2010, 10:08 AM
Simply Red is marked on the map
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/33364c9caf125b28d.jpg
....in Blue :rolleyes::lol:

It's at the corner of Alejo Martinez and The street that the Europa Hotel is on...marked in Brown.

Apos
09-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Good or bad?

Also I think I got it right:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?t=h&hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=111798750051056722944.000486051286601e056d4&source=embed&ll=19.761309,-70.516123&spn=0.031099,0.018067&z=15
There was an older thread that had Susanna's moving evry month or so.

Also where is Simply Red. I see a lot of postings about their virtues but have not been able to pinpoint.

Yes, 2 or 3 IIRC

It involved this rather large bottle...twice!
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/33364ba3d4a32373f.jpg
I'm so rarely drunk I could sell tickets...but that afternoon I was carried to the car and back home...thanks my friend!

Gutter Meat
09-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Never eat at Baileys, where is it ?

Apos
09-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Never eat at Baileys, where is it ?
Have a look here, there are tons of things marked on the map :D

Nice work!

mikelodge
10-01-2010, 01:20 AM
Where is Simply Red located?

Simply Red is on Martinez East of DR Rosen going toward Coco and the East end. It is about a couple blocks past Bologna on the opposite side of the street right on a corner where if you turn there and drive south you hit PC at the Europa. I like Simply Red and the owner is a good chef. Don't be afraid to ask for menu variations as he is very accomodating. So if they tell you that you can have fries or baked potatoe and you want it sliced and pan fried with butter and onions he will do it and no extra charge.

The steaks and the 3 or 4 fish dinners are excellent with diffent sauces like a nice mild red bell pepper cream sauce on Mahi Mahi. Good prices too like 10-11 dollars for complete meal with all the sides.

bailar
10-01-2010, 06:47 PM
Best meal I had on my last trip was at Simply Red. Had a curried pork dish that was delicious. I heard they have a DJ some nights, has anybody been there when there was any nightlife?

bailar
10-01-2010, 06:51 PM
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/thum_118714ca665510d736.jpg (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=87413)http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/thum_118714ca6653c66550.jpg (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=87412)

The pollo de calle on Pedro hits the spot as well!

steviewonder
10-02-2010, 03:47 AM
Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=87413)Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=87412)

Try her yuca, she's a real sweetie!:wink:

mikelodge
10-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Best meal I had on my last trip was at Simply Red. Had a curried pork dish that was delicious. I heard they have a DJ some nights, has anybody been there when there was any nightlife?

Yes they have music some nights, not a bad place to hang out after a meal for awhile especially if you are with a chica and don't want to be in Classicos with all her friends.

hugrad95a
10-03-2010, 06:16 PM
[/URL]Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=87413)[URL="http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/thum_118714ca6653c66550.jpg"]Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=87412)

Does anyone know what's in that salsa they put on the chicken. Its sometype of garlic vinegar sauce.

mikelodge
10-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Does anyone know what's in that salsa they put on the chicken. Its sometype of garlic vinegar sauce.

I think is similar to Lizano sauce like you get in Costa Rica on every table. I have 2 bottles of that stuff left that I bought in Nica last year. Yummy

Bhutto,BhuttoGolly
10-19-2010, 11:26 PM

She calls it: "Wasacaca".
strange name! Especially the "caca" part! LOL
delicious though!

mikelodge
10-20-2010, 09:13 AM
She calls it: "Wasacaca".
strange name! Especially the "caca" part! LOL
delicious though!

That makes me hungry, today will be a Mediterranean place in the city. I wish Sosua had more food like that. They get enough Europeans you would think a little Greek and Middle Eastern food would be a hit. The chivo they do have available could be prepared that way.

FritoBandito
10-23-2010, 11:54 PM
La Contera: Great breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Especially their #1 breakfast surely is one of the great values (coffee, juice, egg, breakfast rolls, cheese, cold cut, marmalade, and butter) to be had in Sosua at RDP 150. Highly recommended.

El Torro: Worst restaurant experience in a long, long time: (i) beverage service mid-meal after 30 min.; (ii) wrong side item for companion; (iii) poor quality of meat; (iv) not prepared according to instructions (medium came out raw). Quite apparently the chef was intoxicated that evening as could be observed through the service window. What a dump...

Panaderia Moser (German bakery): No better place to get a hot coffee and freshly baked goods as early as 7 am in the morning. Three outdoor tables allow for consumption on-site. Even my Haitiana got used to getting up at 6:30 am for an early breakfast.

Where is La Contera Restaurant located????? thanks.....

WickedWillie
10-24-2010, 01:09 PM
Had dinner last night in 'Bavaria' opposite Cuba Libre bar.

Great food,large portions and cheap. Large schnitzel, mushroom sauce, saute potatoes and salad for RD$220.

I am told the pizza is pretty good too.

JD426
10-24-2010, 04:25 PM

Great food,large portions and cheap. Large schnitzel, mushroom sauce, saute potatoes and salad for RD$220.

Are they open early for Lunch as well? Definitely will try this place out.

mikelodge
10-24-2010, 05:08 PM

By opposite I assume you mean that one right across the street Willie.

I was at Freds when a couple guys were eating food from there and it did look and smell pretty good. I will have to try that.

WickedWillie
10-24-2010, 05:36 PM
Are they open early for Lunch as well? Definitely will try this place out.

Not sure. I have been in Cuba Libre at around 4 on a Sunday afternoon and seen people going in.

I think Jimbo wrote about this place in 1 of his recent trip reports.

It's certainly on my list of new favourites.

WickedWillie
10-24-2010, 05:37 PM
By opposite I assume you mean that one right across the street Willie.

I was at Freds when a couple guys were eating food from there and it did look and smell pretty good. I will have to try that.

Correct, exactly opposite.

donquixote
10-24-2010, 05:49 PM
breakfast:
the german restaurant beside the german bakery down the hill from tradewinds and palms..europeon breakfast: one egg, 2 large fresh buns, jam, butter, coffee, large orange juice, 2 slices of deli meat and 2 slices of cheese: 130 peso,,,best value in town
-also rockies has a great breakfast for 190 peso, 4 eggs, ham, bacon toast if you are really hungry..

lunch: there is a restaurant on the corner of the second entrance to la union. i forget the name but named after fish...great prices, great portions. it is were the locals eat so good value...grande beers i think are only 60 peso
-for a hardy and cheap sandwich or burger, go to the little place across from the metro bus station where all the motor conchos go...sandwiches for only 30 peso, hamburger 50 peso
simply red and also bavaria across from cubre libre bar are the best value you will find for the portions and quality

at the beach:
siggy which is behind the english fish and chip place..hard to find but if you find it, good value and portions.
-also the black box:...they seem to appreciate your business...the first time i was there they said thanks for coming and gave us a free drink...i have eaten at other places many many times...and not a thank you or one free coke...the only reason i go, is the best place to relax and watch the chica parade each night...the german restaurant between latino and meranque

Hoseman
10-29-2010, 03:18 PM
Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=87413)Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=87412)

The pollo de calle on Pedro hits the spot as well!I don't know how much longer places like this are going to last they were cracking down on the street vendors this week.I was talking to a couple on Business owners they said good why should they be allowed to operate with such low overhead.With all the cracking down looks like the Doms. are going to get hungier and hungier

hugrad95a
10-30-2010, 10:33 PM
I don't know how much longer places like this are going to last they were cracking down on the street vendors this week.I was talking to a couple on Business owners they said good why should they be allowed to operate with such low overhead.With all the cracking down looks like the Doms. are going to get hungier and hungier

Wait they are cracking down on the Chicken Stand Vendors.... GTF out of here....DAMN...

mikelodge
10-31-2010, 06:25 PM
Wait they are cracking down on the Chicken Stand Vendors.... GTF out of here....DAMN...

Probably because they aren't giving the right people a taste of the profits

mikelodge
11-11-2010, 02:43 PM

How are the chicken stand vendors doing. Robert was going to check how late they are open??

Anyone been down to the Black Box lately for the All You Can Eat BBQ?

Anyone have any decent Mexican food in Sosua lately, the only one I can think of is Fajitas at Morua Mai.

mikelodge
11-21-2010, 05:18 PM

Robert said the chicken stand vendors were closed at least the main ones.
Any recent intel from guys there now on any of them that are open??

One was mentioned by Susanna's.

I wonder if the crack down on the open air bars had anything to do with cracking down on them.

I assumed it was they just were hurting the businesses paying the taxes or bribes with real places.

Sidney
11-21-2010, 05:47 PM
Robert said the chicken stand vendors were closed at least the main ones.
Any recent intel from guys there now on any of them that are open??

One was mentioned by Susanna's.

I wonder if the crack down on the open air bars had anything to do with cracking down on them.

I assumed it was they just were hurting the businesses paying the taxes or bribes with real places. As you look across the street, about 1/2 block, the best vendor has opened a storefront.

mikelodge
11-22-2010, 05:35 PM
As you look across the street, about 1/2 block, the best vendor has opened a storefront.

I wonder if the prices will stay the same. I always thought for a street stand they charged plenty for a chicken but they were always cooked to perfection :wink:

mikelodge
12-08-2010, 11:35 PM
I wonder if the prices will stay the same. I always thought for a street stand they charged plenty for a chicken but they were always cooked to perfection :wink:

So now we have the new chicken stand on PC it would appear down past Europa from the photo I saw posted. The other photo of a chicken place I saw past super super is a greasy spoon fried place where the food sits under heat lamps all day. I think I will stick to the grills and something as fresh as possible.

Who knows this may be updated real soon ;)

Seville
12-09-2010, 09:07 AM

I agree that the chickens have always seemed pricey, relatively speaking. 200 pesos for a whole cooked chicken is what I would pay back in the states. But they are tasty.

stevereds
12-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Fred at Cuba Libre's makes some good grilled chicken out back by the pool. We had it during that pool party..where JD and Feep n Daddyoo attented too.
Fred made us all a plate of chicken pieces, with some tri color pasta salad too. free of charge... I guess the fact that we were partying n drinking all day helped the casue too. We all had a great time. one of the highlights of my last trip.

mikelodge
12-12-2010, 12:33 AM
Fred at Cuba Libre's makes some good grilled chicken out back by the pool. We had it during that pool party..where JD and Feep n Daddyoo attented too.
Fred made us all a plate of chicken pieces, with some tri color pasta salad too. free of charge... I guess the fact that we were partying n drinking all day helped the casue too. We all had a great time. one of the highlights of my last trip.

I like Fred and his place but when we had the Charity BBQ there for Rovers friend and Darcy and DonQ and I were there getting it done Fred let the chicken burn because he had a few drunken bum friends there that had passed out and stayed there the night before. One was watching the chicken and we all yelled as the dumb ass stood there like a Pyro and watched it burn. This was shortly after he jumped in that mini pool naked :eek:

Love CL aka Freddies place and Fred but that F'd up the chicken. Not the same standards as the chicken people that were by Europa. Those chickens were cooked with love and very professionally.

You have to be responsible for what happens if it is your place. But of course it didn't go to waste it fed his staff for days I am sure. Just sayin.

I tell it like it is, Funny thing was the next day Fior and the girls ordered takeout chicken from the stands across from Europa and a moto delivered it. Fred was like why when almost all the chicken was left and they could have eaten that for free.

Answer the people ate 20% of the chicken then focused on all the cheese, cold cuts, sandwiches, snacks, veggies ect that Darcy and I arranged to have there. The girls passed on the burnt stuff in favor of the better grilled stuff :rofl::lol::wink::p

But Fred made them all debone it and make chicken salad out of it

deezl
03-08-2011, 02:52 PM
The girls passed on the burnt stuff in favor of the better grilled stuff :rofl::lol::wink::p

yeah. I've heard that Fred's girls can be picky when it comes to cock. Just because you stick it in front of them doesn't mean they'll put it in their mouths... :lol:

mikelodge
03-08-2011, 07:05 PM
yeah. I've heard that Fred's girls can be picky when it comes to cock. Just because you stick it in front of them doesn't mean they'll put it in their mouths... :lol:

We were talking about food not cocks so I don't know where that came from :lol:

Of course I don't endorse restaurants anymore because you might get accused of shilling for them to get extra french fries or something :rofl:

I wonder how much free BBQ some of the posters were angling for over the years. hmmmm

As Larry the Cable Guy would say Thats funny right there:p:wink:

hugrad95a
03-11-2011, 01:44 AM
Stay away from the Burgers at Rhumba.... I lost two day due to a bad burger at Rhumba....

LJDMV
03-11-2011, 07:44 AM
I did not even know they sold food at Rhumba bar..

Stay away from the Burgers at Rhumba.... I lost two day due to a bad burger at Rhumba....

uncle ruckus
03-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Andres on the beach close to the charamicos side. Been eating there for at least a decade and have NEVER had a bad meal. Best pina colada in the world. Best mangu w/ lobster in the world. Best "cotorra frita" in the world!

JD426
03-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Andres on the beach close to the charamicos side. Been eating there for at least a decade and have NEVER had a bad meal. Best pina colada in the world. Best mangu w/ lobster in the world. Best "cotorra frita" in the world!
What do they call that Huge Seafood dish that comes with either Shrimp or Lobster(or both) , in either a garlic or Tomato Sauce.. It comes with a huge side plate of Papa fritas or Totones.. ?
Its pricey, but easily feeds 2 people.
I'm gonna chow down on that the first day when I arrive.. I almost finished it one time, almost. You really got to bring your appetite. thats for sure.

DASBOOTY
03-11-2011, 11:46 AM
What do they call that Huge Seafood dish that comes with either Shrimp or Lobster(or both) , in either a garlic or Tomato Sauce.. It comes with a huge side plate of Papa fritas or Totones.. ?
Its pricey, but easily feeds 2 people.
I'm gonna chow down on that the first day when I arrive.. I almost finished it one time, almost. You really got to bring your appetite. thats for sure.

I had the tiger shrimp dinner at Baileys for lunch today. Very tasty and a nice portion. Cost 525 pesos.

mikelodge
03-11-2011, 12:23 PM
I had the tiger shrimp dinner at Baileys for lunch today. Very tasty and a nice portion. Cost 525 pesos.

I just can't be happy there knowing they add on the 26% at the end and still expect a tip in the treasure chest.:lol:

El Toro is being remodeled I was told and supposed to be open in 2 weeks.

Freds cuba libre was open yesterday

Apos
03-11-2011, 06:58 PM
I just can't be happy there knowing they add on the 26% at the end and still expect a tip in the treasure chest.:lol:

El Toro is being remodeled I was told and supposed to be open in 2 weeks.

Freds cuba libre was open yesterday
Usually we like it when things are transparent but you can't please everyone! Would you be happier if the price simply included the 26%, and if you remained ignorant of the facts and legal process, and would you then tip "normally" for good service without complaining about it?

Some restaurants for whatever reason are "exempt" for the 10% payable to the staff, others include all of it, 26%, in the menu price and many do exactly as the law suggests and present the breakdown of price, 10% to the staff and 16% tax being completely transparent. And don't even think about using the excuse that you don't believe that management pays the staff the 10%. Workers covered by enforceable laws take no shit in the DR and the law is on their side for the most part!

I guess ignorance really IS bliss! :rolleyes: Perhaps it's just an excuse to be tacaņo and not tip? :eek: Regardless I can't be the only one that doesn't give a fuck what others do as long as I am not affected and am tired or reading the same whiny bullshit! :p

JD426
03-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Apos, I think the frustration is that the prices are on the high side to begin with. most of their meals are like 500-700 pesos.+ no ?
Yes, it would be good if they just added in and SHOWED it to you on the MENU.. This meal is 650 pesos, take it or leave it.. Not show me a price of 500 and then its really 630 + a Tip.
The woman who owns Bayleys from what we hear is pretty rich.. I wonder how she got that way ?:rolleyes: its not like we are hurting their business any.
I eat there sometimes, but usually opt for the lunch Buffet which is very fairly priced.
If Im going to spend 1 mil pesos on a meal, and for some reason, its always over 1 mil when im all done there.. Then im gonna look at other options.
It certainly is not MY fault that there is a 26% tax on the bigger restaurants.
Frankly I would rather support the small mom and pop places, where the owner is cooking for you, and is so happy that you are spending 300 pesos in their little place.
But you are right this is a dead horse, beaten one too many times.

Jimmydr
05-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Baileys and Rockies seem to be the favorites. I know they were mine.

jimrock187
05-02-2011, 06:26 PM
I like the BBQ chicken guy across street from Europa.

Jimmydr
05-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Well the Yellow pages are now set up and I would like some help with filling it. I would like the exact address' of all the restaurants listed here, if anyone has them.

thanks

Apos
05-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Wow,

Good luck with that. You may just have to reference other known locations.

Seriously, as beneficial as that might be I trust you remember how basic and lacking the numbering system, and the mail system which relies on it, is...many places will not know their address and it will not mean anything o most.

The address of my former office on Pedro Clisante was not as straight forward, clear and meaningful as say Rocky's is at Calle Dr. Rosen # 24, El Batey - Sosua, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic. I had to tell people I was above the medical clinic at Club Residencial and across the street from The News Cafe restaurant.

There's are reasons people use EPS, FedEx and other services for mail...and it has a lot to do with the lack of a proper address system.
Well the Yellow pages are now set up and I would like some help with filling it. I would like the exact address' of all the restaurants listed here, if anyone has them.

thanks

Jimmydr
05-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Wow,

Good luck with that. You may just have to reference other known locations.

Seriously, as beneficial as that might be I trust you remember how basic and lacking the numbering system, and the mail system which relies on it, is...many places will not know their address and it will not mean anything o most.

The address of my former office on Pedro Clisante was not as straight forward, clear and meaningful as say Rocky's is at Calle Dr. Rosen # 24, El Batey - Sosua, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic. I had to tell people I was above the medical clinic at Club Residencial and across the street from The News Cafe restaurant.

There's are reasons people use EPS, FedEx and other services for mail...and it has a lot to do with the lack of a proper address system.

So far it works with TJ, Mexico and Medellin, Colombia.

Apos
05-02-2011, 08:09 PM
They're not Sosua...but I'd luv to be wrong...:rolleyes:
So far it works with TJ, Mexico and Medellin, Colombia.

Jimmydr
05-02-2011, 08:10 PM
They're not Sosua...but I'd luv to be wrong...:rolleyes:

Good thing for me is, Sosua really don't need a yellow pages since its so small.

Rubicon
12-12-2011, 05:15 PM
I don't know what the problem is but this thread keeps showing new posts by Jimmydr on the New Posts page but every time I check it, it still shows an old post from Jimmydr from May 2, 2011. Anybody else running into the same problem?

Jimmydr
12-12-2011, 05:18 PM
I don't know what the problem is but this thread keeps showing new posts by Jimmydr on the New Posts page but every time I check it, it still shows an old post from Jimmydr from May 2, 2011. Anybody else running into the same problem?

Everytime someone votes, it refreshes as new.

Rubicon
12-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Everytime someone votes, it refreshes as new.
Okay, didn't consider the poll. Thanks.