PDA

View Full Version : Morua Mai

Apos
02-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Last night I had dinner, again, for the 2nd time in the last few weeks at Morua Mai and it was excellent. The service was very good and the food fantastic, for the most part.

I had the tuna steak, the others had filet mignon (not as tender and 'melt-in-your-mouth' as expected), chicken parm (X2) grilled seabass and not sure what the last diner had but she seemed to luv it and it looked wonderful. We all had a beverage or 2 and there were 2 deserts as well. total bill was 2000 pesos plus generous tip, about the same price per person as Baily's but with better food and superior ambiance and service.

Overall this is my favorite upperend restaurant in Sosua and has been for many years.:iconTU::iconTU::iconTU::iconTU:

Jimmydr
02-05-2010, 11:05 AM
total bill was 2000 pesos plus generous tip, about the same price per person as Baily's but with better food and superior ambiance and service.

$30 a person, wow. It was always upper end and the food was always very good there.

mikelodge
02-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Last night I had dinner, again, for the 2nd time in the last few weeks at Morua Mai and it was excellent. The service was very good and the food fantastic, for the most part.

I had the tuna steak, the others had filet mignon (not as tender and 'melt-in-your-mouth' as expected), chicken parm (X2) grilled seabass and not sure what the last diner had but she seemed to luv it and it looked wonderful. We all had a beverage or 2 and there were 2 deserts as well. total bill was 2000 pesos plus generous tip, about the same price per person as Baily's but with better food and superior ambiance and service.

Overall this is my favorite upperend restaurant in Sosua and has been for many years.:iconTU::iconTU::iconTU::iconTU:

That sounds awefully cheap at $55 if I counted the orders right if --
1 you had tuna
2 at least one filet
3 and 4 two people had the chicken
5 sea bass
6 and the unsure order of the last person

That would be less than $10 bucks a person and you mentioned "We all had a drink or two for only 2000 pesos which would make it somewhere just over 5 or 6 bucks a person for food plus the drinks. I suspect they made a mistake and a generous tip would definitely have been in order with a bill that small.

Or did I miss something?

Hemp
02-05-2010, 12:01 PM
ate there once with Gdogg, great food....higher priced than other places around town. but food and service was bangin!!!

gdogg
02-05-2010, 01:38 PM
ate there once with Gdogg, great food....higher priced than other places around town. but food and service was bangin!!!

I think that was your first real sit down dinner in the DR. Good times. This thread has me thinking about DR cuisine instead of the chicas for once. I hope Sultan doesn't read this.
:o

Jimmydr
02-05-2010, 01:39 PM
I think that was your first real sit down dinner in the DR. Good times. This thread has me thinking about DR cuisine instead of the chicas for once. I hope Sultan doesn't read this.
:o

Some of us actually enjoy a good meal.

Apos
02-05-2010, 06:38 PM
We actually questioned how low the bill was and confirmed that it was for the whole table. My meal alone was about $700 plus tip and the filet should have been about the same. We questioned the bill because 2 of us arrived late, after the party of 4 had already ordered. We figured that the $2000 was just for the first 4 but the waiter insisted that it was for all 6. The math does not work but then again it's the DR...this time if was to the customer's advantage, for a change :D
That sounds awefully cheap at $55 if I counted the orders right if --
1 you had tuna
2 at least one filet
3 and 4 two people had the chicken
5 sea bass
6 and the unsure order of the last person

That would be less than $10 bucks a person and you mentioned "We all had a drink or two for only 2000 pesos which would make it somewhere just over 5 or 6 bucks a person for food plus the drinks. I suspect they made a mistake and a generous tip would definitely have been in order with a bill that small.

Or did I miss something?

mikelodge
02-05-2010, 07:00 PM
We actually questioned how low the bill was and confirmed that it was for the whole table. My meal alone was about $700 plus tip and the filet should have been about the same. We questioned the bill because 2 of us arrived late, after the party of 4 had already ordered. We figured that the $2000 was just for the first 4 but the waiter insisted that it was for all 6. The math does not work but then again it's the DR...this time if was to the customer's advantage, for a change :D

Glad that worked out for you. I do math backwards, sideways, upside down or anyway they want but knew that didn't work. I would have done the same thing politely said are you sure this is right so a second check didn't appear then said thank you and left 25% tip and laughed all the way down the street.

That server would then be my exclusive server and I would insist on him or her everytime. The nice tip would at the very least guaranteed excellent service on round 2. :iconTU:

Apos
02-05-2010, 07:04 PM
exctly...good guess on the tip too :D:rofl::iconTU:
Glad that worked out for you. I do math backwards, sideways, upside down or anyway they want but knew that didn't work. I would have done the same thing politely said are you sure this is right so a second check didn't appear then said thank you and left 25% tip and laughed all the way down the street.

That server would then be my exclusive server and I would insist on him or her everytime. The nice tip would at the very least guaranteed excellent service on round 2. :iconTU:The meal was a steal at double the price!

ezsmile
02-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Good on ya for making sure the bill was correct. Seems a lot of times people will only question a bill if they think it was too high.

MrHappy
02-09-2010, 08:11 AM
Man, it must be nice being able to eat out every day. How do you do it!?

I mean, I eat out every day, but my food only runs 100 pesos a pop for some pretty good stuff.

Jimmydr
02-09-2010, 08:37 AM
You struggle to afford to eat out because you are a loser! Most of the puta chasers are losers within this site, trying to scrape together enough money,
a few times a year, if they are lucky, to fly down and pay the Haitian/Dominican putas.

I feel dirty even spending the wee bit of time I spend here bashing away!

Yuck!

33 TIMES I banned you. You are an army of one.

Beads
02-09-2010, 11:09 AM

Sounds like someone added the bill wrong. When I first visited Sosua Maura Mai was our dinner place for the first 3 nights. The food was expensive but the meals were nice sized and the service was good. We ordered tons of food and ate like kings.

On night 3 suddenly our portions were only 1/2 the size they were the previous 2 days. I asked if the prices were lower and was told no. I asked how all of a sudden the size of our meals was now only 1/2. Not much of an answer. About 5 minutes later several dishes came out with had the other 1/2 of our entres came out. (If youve been to the DR and to Maura Mai you know it takes more than 5 minute to get a glass of water let alone an entree).

After this incident it was time to keep an eye on EVERYTHING.

A few trips later it was raining one night and we decided on dinner at Maura Mai. It was Valentines day and they were fairly busy but 2 tables near the entrance were empty. We had been having a good time during the day and not letting the rain bother us so of course we were soaked from the rain when we arrived.

When we entered the waiter told us there were no more tables. We stopped for a moment to decide where to go next near the entrance and the owner came out and must have seen us. He came over and ushered us to the 2 empty tables. I guess our $300+ meal bills made him remember us.

We had a good meal that night and our portions were what they should have been.

Tried a return visit 2 times in the last year and found once again the service to be not what I expected. Both times about the same treatment.

Walk in and sit down for breakfast. Sitting at table for 10 minutes without being offered coffee or even a menu. The place was empty both times and waiters walked right by us several times without ever bothering to take our order. Second time we finally got menus but no order taken and no coffee.

We walked out and went across the street to LaRoca. Much faster breakfast service.

It was quite easy to see why LaRoca had customers for breakfast while Maura Mai was empty.

JD426
02-09-2010, 11:29 AM
I am off from work today. I put in many hours cleaning dirty pools.

Agador Sparticus, the Cabana boy ? is that you ?
you're like in your own little Birdcage.
and you "fall down" when you wear shoes.:rofl:

curiousdude
02-09-2010, 11:31 AM

Sounds like someone added the bill wrong. When I first visited Sosua Maura Mai was our dinner place for the first 3 nights. The food was expensive but the meals were nice sized and the service was good. We ordered tons of food and ate like kings.

On night 3 suddenly our portions were only 1/2 the size they were the previous 2 days. I asked if the prices were lower and was told no. I asked how all of a sudden the size of our meals was now only 1/2. Not much of an answer. About 5 minutes later several dishes came out with had the other 1/2 of our entres came out. (If youve been to the DR and to Maura Mai you know it takes more than 5 minute to get a glass of water let alone an entree).

After this incident it was time to keep an eye on EVERYTHING.

It seems like Morua Mai is a somewhat volatile place - Beads had half his order kidnapped, and Apostropheman had half his check kidnapped. :rofl::rofl: Sorry if my choice of words rankles....Just couldn't resist. :D (Oh, I have definitely moved on, and I consider myself to be 3some's buddy, so please don't ban me!)

Apos
02-09-2010, 05:44 PM
Often enough it's generous friends. I'm back on my self imposed "rice and beans" diet for the foreseeable future. Good thing I really luv Dominican food and that there are so many choices of restaurants. I will try and continue with the restaurant reviews but of a different set of restaurants...I trust that there are others out there, like me, that enjoy basic and inexpensive local cuisine? :corky::iconTU:
Man, it must be nice being able to eat out every day. How do you do it!?

I mean, I eat out every day, but my food only runs 100 pesos a pop for some pretty good stuff.

Jimmydr
02-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Banned over 35 times. What is your point? We don't care! Really we don't care. Your hookers are no better than our hookers, player!

Apos
02-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Maybe just let him post awhile? I imagine that many of us could use some comic relief in our lives...:rofl:
Banned over 35 times. What is your point? We don't care! Really we don't care. Your hookers are no better than our hookers, player!

rushdog34
02-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Maybe just let him post awhile? I imagine that many of us could use some comic relief in our lives...:rofl:

yeah i wouldnt mind knowing more about the reg ol dominican spots that the locals would swear by

Jimmydr
02-09-2010, 06:25 PM
yeah i wouldnt mind knowing more about the reg ol dominican spots that the locals would swear by

He most likely has no clue, he is in Canada now.

Jimmydr
02-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Speaking of posting, why haven't you posted in DR1, to clear your name?
Why post your property management company that collapsed?
Too weird!

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A4PnKkUkU4)

Why don't you post a trip report?

Jimmydr
02-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Fine then. Just got back after a short 1 week trip
5 of us in total, great weather, only rained once at night.
10 of us at "La Boca" on Sunday, had a blast!
Cabarete beach has a stronger nightlife now.
Best restaurant in the area is Al Porto, amazing food and best ambience.

Zero hookers too!

And your Dominican Novia? Where did you meet her? How was the food at LaBoca?

What hotel in Caberete do you stay at?

Jimmydr
02-09-2010, 07:01 PM
the food at La Boca was great! Fish lobster & chicken. 27 Cuba Libres (ten people). Bill was almost 7000 pesos. Played bacci ball on the beach for hours. Don't need a hotel when you own a 5 bedroom house.

Not bad for 10 people.

Jimmydr
02-09-2010, 07:02 PM
I met her in Hi5,

How old is she and how old are you?

Jimmydr
02-09-2010, 07:04 PM
I met her in Hi5, the food at La Boca was great! Fish lobster & chicken. 27 Cuba Libres (ten people). Bill was almost 7000 pesos. Played bacci ball on the beach for hours. Don't need a hotel when you own a 5 bedroom house.

I stayed at the Windsurf in Caberete from 2000-2002. Great place and Casitas was $8 a person back then.

Jimmydr
02-09-2010, 07:05 PM
Best restaurant in the area is Al Porto, amazing food and best ambience.

Zero hookers too!

Would love to know more about this one.

Jimmydr
02-09-2010, 07:06 PM
My 15 yr old son and his buddy were there, so no booze for them and my watchyman's novia, only had dos pequena presidentes.
Sosua Village restaurant is incredible and 5 of us ate for a hundred bucks.
I went 3 times in a week.

$20 a person is not bad at all really. You don't rent rooms out, correct?

jacknback
02-09-2010, 07:51 PM
Why no hookers?? I need hookers!!

JuanElGriego
02-09-2010, 08:35 PM

I had the tuna steak, the others had filet mignon (not as tender and 'melt-in-your-mouth' as expected), chicken parm (X2) grilled seabass and not sure what the last diner had but she seemed to luv it and it looked wonderful.

The filet mignon was mine and it sucked. It wasn't cooked wrong cuz it was just that the meat sucked. A couple times i debated spitting the fucking piece out my mouth.

Never again. Sticking to chicken and pasta like i usually do.

The only good part about that meal was the eye candy, aka, Beyonce. She kept looking over and after she made that comment on the beach to me the other day, i'm hunting her down my first night down there in June!!

MrHappy
02-10-2010, 06:19 AM
Often enough it's generous friends. I'm back on my self imposed "rice and beans" diet for the foreseeable future. Good thing I really luv Dominican food and that there are so many choices of restaurants. I will try and continue with the restaurant reviews but of a different set of restaurants...I trust that there are others out there, like me, that enjoy basic and inexpensive local cuisine? :corky::iconTU:

Definitely. I live on the stuff too, so the more, the better.