PDA

View Full Version : Tourist tells of baggage thieves at Puerto Plata airport

gmalet
02-09-2010, 07:18 PM
From Dominican Today
“So many people in your country work so hard to get us there and yet you hire losers to secure your airport”

Letter to DT from Craig Howarth:

I arrived back to Toronto from Puerto Plata last night. The baggage handlers at the Dominican Republic airport went through a lot of luggage and stole anything and everything valuable.They stole my cell phone and watch.

Once I returned home and researched the issue online it appears this is a common problem. How can this continue to happen over and over and nothing is ever done about it?

I will never return to your country and you will never see another penny of my money. I am not alone in my feelings and I pray everyone stops visiting your disrespectful country.

My luggage should be secure in your airport but your own security people are stealing from everyone. I can only pray you print an article in your paper about the constant abuse for the law in your airports and how it will change the lives of all the people who work in the tourism industry.

So many people in your country work so hard to get us there and yet you hire losers to secure your airport. You should all be ashamed of this and what it does for your imagine around the world. I had a great time but this single experience ruined my trip and I will never return to our country again.

Will it take all your people to lose their jobs before something is done. Brutal.

Mr Hillbilly
02-09-2010, 07:29 PM
When I started to travel to Colombia mid 90s they stole everything too.Shoes,clothes,Sport equipment.

SeaWeed
02-09-2010, 07:41 PM
never had anything stolen out of mi luggage in all mi years of traveling......

but then maybe der wasn't anything worth stealing........lol

Si_Poppi
02-09-2010, 10:55 PM
Only a complete and total fucking idiot would put a cell phone, watch, and other such valuables in their checked luggage.
Plus how can such a fucking moron know where the stuff was stolen?
Maybe someone in Toronto took advantage of this fucking retard.
Sorry but I have zero sympathy for anybody who could be this stupid.

Wear it, carry it, or put it in your carry on and watch when it is being checked.

Blame the stupid idiot in the mirror.:rolleyes:

the_Jayman
02-09-2010, 11:09 PM
they stole a couple/few batteries . . a Bic and a pack of Matches on the way out . . .

I chalked it up to the "Cost of doin Business" . . . .

Tony Toca
02-10-2010, 04:48 AM
they stole a couple/few batteries . . a Bic and a pack of Matches on the way out . . .

I chalked it up to the "Cost of doin Business" . . . .

Stole or confiscate?

gmalet
02-10-2010, 06:06 AM
They stole a bottle of Vicodins from me. But who knows could have happened in my connection in Miami. I always do carry on now.

JD426
02-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Stole or confiscate?

And I feel so much safer knowing that Jayman can't sneak into the baggage area, find his bag , dig out his Bic, and light up a Cig.
The TSA, protecting us, from ourselves.:rolleyes:
oh, nail clippers coming back , I put them in my carryon on purpose cause I was too lazy .. RIGHT THROUGH. :rofl: Its all a big charade...

Jimmydr
02-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Blame the stupid idiot in the mirror.:rolleyes:

Hey, I see myself!

the_Jayman
02-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Stole or confiscate?

There's a difference ? :confused:

unclecrook
02-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Someone stole a phone in the DR? Wow..big news! if someone said that to me i would just say ..no duh! I think this report gives rise to the understanding that some complacent western travelers are just too inexperienced or dont have the street smarts to be traveling to foriegn countries. The very first time i went to the DR i made sure that i didnt leave anything of great value in my checked bag and brought my valuables with me on the plane. I think alot of Americans think that everywhere you go in the world to travel for vacation is going to be just like disneyland. I remember reading a report by some American guy living in Rio, and he decided to go hang out and drink in a bar that is the Rio police hang out... fucking moron got his ass kicked by a couple of Rio cops, i would never be hanging out there, police in Rio are not like your home town police. Do you think they want to see some loser westerner in their bar. Those guys work their ass off for about 100$ a month they probably hate to see some rich gringo show up in their city.

cervezalover
02-13-2010, 12:32 PM
From Dominican Today
“So many people in your country work so hard to get us there and yet you hire losers to secure your airport”

Letter to DT from Craig Howarth:

I arrived back to Toronto from Puerto Plata last night. The baggage handlers at the Dominican Republic airport went through a lot of luggage and stole anything and everything valuable.They stole my cell phone and watch.

Once I returned home and researched the issue online it appears this is a common problem. How can this continue to happen over and over and nothing is ever done about it?

I will never return to your country and you will never see another penny of my money. I am not alone in my feelings and I pray everyone stops visiting your disrespectful country.

My luggage should be secure in your airport but your own security people are stealing from everyone. I can only pray you print an article in your paper about the constant abuse for the law in your airports and how it will change the lives of all the people who work in the tourism industry.

So many people in your country work so hard to get us there and yet you hire losers to secure your airport. You should all be ashamed of this and what it does for your imagine around the world. I had a great time but this single experience ruined my trip and I will never return to our country again.

Will it take all your people to lose their jobs before something is done. Brutal.

This is a very well known problem at the airport in Santo Domingo as well.

Jimmydr
02-13-2010, 12:33 PM
Someone stole a phone in the DR? Wow..big news! if someone said that to me i would just say ..no duh! I think this report gives rise to the understanding that some complacent western travelers are just too inexperienced or dont have the street smarts to be traveling to foriegn countries. The very first time i went to the DR i made sure that i didnt leave anything of great value in my checked bag and brought my valuables with me on the plane. I think alot of Americans think that everywhere you go in the world to travel for vacation is going to be just like disneyland. I remember reading a report by some American guy living in Rio, and he decided to go hang out and drink in a bar that is the Rio police hang out... fucking moron got his ass kicked by a couple of Rio cops, i would never be hanging out there, police in Rio are not like your home town police. Do you think they want to see some loser westerner in their bar. Those guys work their ass off for about 100$ a month they probably hate to see some rich gringo show up in their city.

They took my batteries, thiefs!

unclecrook
02-14-2010, 02:31 AM
Your funny Jimmy! I think we should talk about who has the most street smarts when it come to traveling. I have two brothers and i wouldnt take either one with me on one of my trips, cause they are both too westernized. One brother is spoiled and thinks everything should be 5star when he travels, the other is young and cocky and would probably wind up dead in a bad neighborhood. I think it takes a certain type of person to successfuly enjoy this hobby. It is not for everyone.

Jimmydr
02-14-2010, 10:16 AM
It is not for everyone.

Yes but everyone doesn't know this!

stevereds
02-19-2010, 10:48 PM
I always carry anything of value, with my carry on..cell, ipod etc, medication etc.
Just clothes and condoms in my checked bag..

fanofutoo
03-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Your funny Jimmy! I think we should talk about who has the most street smarts when it come to traveling. I have two brothers and i wouldnt take either one with me on one of my trips, cause they are both too westernized. One brother is spoiled and thinks everything should be 5star when he travels, the other is young and cocky and would probably wind up dead in a bad neighborhood. I think it takes a certain type of person to successfuly enjoy this hobby. It is not for everyone.

Couldn't agree more. At night on the way back from Classico's looked down the street and saw 8 chicos hanging about in a dark corner of the street, i turned back and waiting for my buddies. Next day i hear 2 guys staying at Europa were mugged. Not sure if same guys, but can never be to safe when you look like an easy target.