PDA

View Full Version : Rockies

Tiger
02-22-2010, 10:13 AM
The world famous Rocky's.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/8488499312c20bf15.jpg

Jimmydr
02-22-2010, 10:16 AM
When I think back to my many years coming to Sosua, the last few, I spent having my breakfast here daily and posting my trip updates.

davemaryland
02-22-2010, 10:50 AM
I miss the world famous ribs for years back. I learned about rockies from this board. And if I remember right, the ribs was my first dinner in Sosua. And it was a good morning hang out too. After Marco sold the place the ribs are not as great, but good.

SeaWeed
02-22-2010, 11:25 AM
nice place......best location.....Rick the new owner aims to please......food is good......very reasonable rates.......$25/night without A/C

Fordtech
02-22-2010, 11:28 AM
I had dinner one night and got chicken wings. They were the smallest chicken wings I have ever seen. I understand that I live 45 minutes away from Buffalo, NY the chicken wing city of the world but come-on. They were like hen wings and for 205 peso for a dozen I was not at all impressed. I get a dozen here for about the same price and they are nice sized.

Ram
02-22-2010, 02:22 PM
I had dinner one night and got chicken wings. They were the smallest chicken wings I have ever seen. I understand that I live 45 minutes away from Buffalo, NY the chicken wing city of the world but come-on. They were like hen wings and for 205 peso for a dozen I was not at all impressed. I get a dozen here for about the same price and they are nice sized.

I don't know of any place in Sosua where the wings are any bigger. Wings in the DR are from chickens that are not hormone pumped and they tend to have small wings. If you get them bigger, they are imported.

Apos
02-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Luckily there are a dozen, or more, other things on the menu that are excellent value. You certainly can't please everyone, let alone all the time, but for safe and fairly priced delicious food Rocky's is a winner!

gdogg
02-22-2010, 02:50 PM
Never had a bad meal at Rocky's. I was initially shocked that the wings were small (on first trip), but over the years I've seen that they're pretty much the same all over the island. Great place to eat and get your computer on!

SeaWeed
02-22-2010, 02:51 PM
plus Chickens in da Caribbean are usually much smaller than in North America........
and our portions in North America Restaurants are known for being huge......
cause wi like everything large or grandee here.......including cars, houses, concerts, etc etc etc

so when you get a quarter chicken in the states......
you'll probably have to order a half chicken in Paradise to get the same portion.....
especially in Jamaica though mi usually only order a quarter jerk chicken at a time....
and three beers to wash it down cause it so spicy mon.....lol

Apos
02-22-2010, 02:57 PM
I've had the ribs twice in the last 3 or 4 nights with friends and all agreed that they were as good or better than ever. Perhaps YMMV per personal taste or it may have been awhile since you had them. Hopefully you'll give them another try next time you're in the neighbourhood and let us know what you think.

Thanks for sharing your opinion in a positive way! :D

p.s. I confirmed with Rick, the owner, that he has not changed the rib recipe at all since he bought Rocky's.
I miss the world famous ribs for years back. I learned about rockies from this board. And if I remember right, the ribs was my first dinner in Sosua. And it was a good morning hang out too. After Marco sold the place the ribs are not as great, but good.

JD426
02-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Marco said the Rib Recipe was part of the deal when he sold it, no ?
He ordered for me when I had a chance to sit down and chat with him in his room back in sept, (thats when we met Apos, but you forgot , LOL )
anyway the Ribs were quite good, u also get a salad with it as I recall.
The breakfast is very good there as well. Never hung out during the day though as Im usually at the beach at that time. Its a good & very convenient spot.

Apos
02-22-2010, 04:16 PM
I meet sooo many people here I sometimes forget until we meet again, my apologies! :D

Marco said the Rib Recipe was part of the deal when he sold it, no ?
He ordered for me when I had a chance to sit down and chat with him in his room back in sept, (thats when we met Apos, but you forgot , LOL )
anyway the Ribs were quite good, u also get a salad with it as I recall.
The breakfast is very good there as well. Never hung out during the day though as Im usually at the beach at that time. Its a good & very convenient spot.

TNT72
02-22-2010, 07:04 PM
DAMN........ a dozen of those tasty wings while waiting for the steak with salad to come.... DAMMIT, I can't believe I'm not going this week!!!!!!!

naptime
02-23-2010, 12:02 AM
yes. the wings are small. but they are the same size as any other place i saw in the dr. like most others have said, the chicks are smaller. goes with the territory..

that said.. I FREAKIN LOVE the wings !!!!

if im getting pizza, i order wings as an appetizer.
if im getting the amazing steak, i order wings as an appetizer.
if im getting the ribs, i order wings as an appetizer.

are we seeing a trend here :)

all i know... is that in 2 days i'll be ordering up an order of all of the above.. probably twice.. ehhh... make that thrice.

TNT72
02-23-2010, 12:06 AM
yes. the wings are small. but they are the same size as any other place i saw in the dr. like most others have said, the chicks are smaller. goes with the territory..

all i know... is that in 2 days i'll be ordering up an order of all of the above.. probably twice.. ehhh... make that thrice.

FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!:fu::devilfu::2up::fu2::finger::asshole::fu::2up::devilfu::fu2::finger::asshole:

sicpup71
02-23-2010, 01:47 AM

yes you eat too much!!!LOL i ain't mad at ya.:wav::wav::clap::clap:

Mr. Smooth
02-23-2010, 04:38 AM
Never had the wings at Rockys but I did have them several times as a happy hour appetizer at Pedro McMurphys. They were small there too. But the price was 100 or 125 pesos. I will usually eat dinner at Rockys maybe twice in a week and always go for the ribs.

naptime
02-23-2010, 10:22 AM
what i love about the wings is his sauce.

i cant pinpoint it.. its almost like a spicy heins57 mixed with bbq .. something along those lines.

completely different sauce than the ribs.

i personally dont normally like wings. big or small. and i never eat wings at home. i hate bw3 and hooters, etc.. but at rockies, its something about the sauce, i order them with every dinner meal there.

Cuba Libre
02-23-2010, 12:22 PM
Never had a bad meal at Rocky's. I was initially shocked that the wings were small (on first trip), but over the years I've seen that they're pretty much the same all over the island. Great place to eat and get your computer on!The few times I've had wings at Pedro McMurphy's they were very good and not small.

Disclaimer: This was at least 1 owner ago. I'm not sure if the latest owner maintains the same quality (or even the same menu).

gdogg
02-23-2010, 03:09 PM
The wings at Pedro McMurphy were very good. I ate there many days when they had that lunch special some years ago.

bentwire
02-23-2010, 10:33 PM
I always thought Rockys was a great place to feel safe if things get freeky and they have a time or two,, the food is a great value and the place is very laid back

mikelodge
02-23-2010, 11:01 PM
Luckily there are a dozen, or more, other things on the menu that are excellent value. You certainly can't please everyone, let alone all the time, but for safe and fairly priced delicious food Rocky's is a winner!

I remember Fordtech telling me about the wings minutes after he ate them and he was pissed. In fact that 205 may have been meant to have been 250 pesos or $7 for the skinny boney things.

I agree the chicken shack next to Passions has the same baby ones and apparently everyone does there. NOTE TO SELF never order the wings in the DR when for the same price you can get a Whole Grilled Chicken across from Europa with sides or even less without sides and that is true at stands all over the area other than the beach.

I went to Rocky's early for lunch with a guy and was not real hungry so just ordered a Chicken Sandwich which one would think would be a breast filet even if only the size of Burger King or Mac Donalds Grilled Chicken fillet.

No such luck it was some shredded meat off a whole roasted chicken on plain lightly toasted bread with lettuce and tomatoe. :eek: Serious. I ate some of it but for $4 or $5 it was a joke. Nice people though even though it was worth 2 bucks or less.

My friend had the Ribs and said they were very greasy and hard to eat. You could see the grease. Don't get me wrong I like the place for breakfast but there years past great rep is fading unless maybe you are a local getting a special deal or something like a big discount off for staying there.

I would order the ribs with the sauce on the side so you can see what you are getting. Most people are afraid to speak anything negative about the place because it gets such great old stories from past memories that people think it is on the inside or something.

I knew Ford would speak up. Soon maybe others will as well. To bad no wings and detailed Rib pics have been posted about Rockys with the menu and prices in detail like was done at Big D's. Hell the Black Box on the beach has a All u Can Eat BBQ on Thurs.

I can understand D's costing a little more with beach overhead and limited hours of opportunity. If no resent pics and reviews come in I will go eat there when I return to Sosua the end of March and Early April and post pics.

Lets keep it honest and not just a specially prepared plate for the camera but random table pics.

Again in fairness to Rocky's Apos mentioned they have good Pizza after 5pm and I have not tried it but will. La Vocha is so far the Pizza winner easily beating Bologna but maybe Rocky's will take the pizza title which I admit is a personal taste thing to a great extent.

mikelodge
02-23-2010, 11:04 PM
I've had the ribs twice in the last 3 or 4 nights with friends and all agreed that they were as good or better than ever. Perhaps YMMV per personal taste or it may have been awhile since you had them. Hopefully you'll give them another try next time you're in the neighbourhood and let us know what you think.

Thanks for sharing your opinion in a positive way! :D

p.s. I confirmed with Rick, the owner, that he has not changed the rib recipe at all since he bought Rocky's.

That is not a paid endorcement :rofl:

bentwire
02-23-2010, 11:05 PM
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x133/bentwire/rockysribs.jpg

this was tasty too but was a ng dish
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x133/bentwire/weew3ww.jpg

mikelodge
02-23-2010, 11:11 PM
Click to see pic (http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x133/bentwire/rockysribs.jpg)

Click to see pic (http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x133/bentwire/weew3ww.jpg)

Were those Rib bones before or after you ate the meat off them?:confused::rofl:

Only kidding looks like a tasty meal, Thanks for an Actual Pic of the food there.

I think I need a slab from Tony Romas or Bonfire or Wildfire Grill to hold me over.

gdogg
02-23-2010, 11:19 PM
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x133/bentwire/weew3ww.jpg

That's the best reviewed meal of the thread!!

mikelodge
02-24-2010, 12:16 AM
That's the best reviewed meal of the thread!!

With that good of taste in Chicas one would have to give some credence to his taste in Ribs and Breasts and oh my thighs..........:lol:

gdogg
02-24-2010, 12:19 AM
She hangs around New Garden? Talk about an upgrade! (Sorry for the jack, the chica is too fine to not comment on).

MrHappy
02-24-2010, 07:06 AM

I see you've discovered the difference between the steroid stuffed chicken in the states, and the home grown chickens we eat here that are raised on all natural feed.

Chicken wings are no longer the "cheap" part of the bird down here; go to any supermarket, and check the prices... you'll be amazed at what wings go for by the dozen.

Another thing many places will do is when they cut up a chicken, they'll pull off part of the breast with the wing, so you'll get more meat, but the wing is still small. The lower end Chinese places are known for that.

When all is said and done, you can get a half a chicken for less than 200 pesos at any Provocon, and it's excellent with the Wasakaka sauce.

LJDMV
02-24-2010, 08:06 AM
What is the address of this place? How far from the NG hotel?

milone
02-24-2010, 08:12 AM
once you step out of the new garden make a left and its about a 3 min walk that way, right next to the corner quick mart.

What is the address of this place? How far from the NG hotel?

mikelodge
02-24-2010, 09:33 AM
I see you've discovered the difference between the steroid stuffed chicken in the states, and the home grown chickens we eat here that are raised on all natural feed.

Chicken wings are no longer the "cheap" part of the bird down here; go to any supermarket, and check the prices... you'll be amazed at what wings go for by the dozen.

Another thing many places will do is when they cut up a chicken, they'll pull off part of the breast with the wing, so you'll get more meat, but the wing is still small. The lower end Chinese places are known for that.

When all is said and done, you can get a half a chicken for less than 200 pesos at any Provocon, and it's excellent with the Wasakaka sauce.

I BBQ'd with a few other people last trip and at Playero in Sosua the Wings were about $2 a pound slightly less unseasoned which is high by Midwest US standards but they were a little bigger than the ones at the chicken stands who probably buy in bulk and buy the smallest grade available to make the most money.

For about $3 a package had about 10 or 11 wings in it but keep in mind that is the entire wing so you would double that if cut in half and get 20-22 pieces.

Enough Wing Evaluation for me this morning :lol:

Hopefully the NEW HOOTERS that is opening will get them from the US and have the larger ones.

Apos
02-24-2010, 12:54 PM
The "us" was a Freudian Slip I guess...I wish I owned the place some days, jejeje :lol:
That is not a paid endorcement :rofl:
Too true, although I practically live there...:corky:

Apos
03-03-2010, 10:51 AM
I remember Fordtech telling me about the wings minutes after he ate them and he was pissed. In fact that 205 may have been meant to have been 250 pesos or $7 for the skinny boney things.

I agree the chicken shack next to Passions has the same baby ones and apparently everyone does there. NOTE TO SELF never order the wings in the DR when for the same price you can get a Whole Grilled Chicken across from Europa with sides or even less without sides and that is true at stands all over the area other than the beach.

I went to Rocky's early for lunch with a guy and was not real hungry so just ordered a Chicken Sandwich which one would think would be a breast filet even if only the size of Burger King or Mac Donalds Grilled Chicken fillet.

No such luck it was some shredded meat off a whole roasted chicken on plain lightly toasted bread with lettuce and tomatoe. :eek: Serious. I ate some of it but for $4 or $5 it was a joke. Nice people though even though it was worth 2 bucks or less.

My friend had the Ribs and said they were very greasy and hard to eat. You could see the grease. Don't get me wrong I like the place for breakfast but there years past great rep is fading unless maybe you are a local getting a special deal or something like a big discount off for staying there.

I would order the ribs with the sauce on the side so you can see what you are getting. Most people are afraid to speak anything negative about the place because it gets such great old stories from past memories that people think it is on the inside or something.

I knew Ford would speak up. Soon maybe others will as well. To bad no wings and detailed Rib pics have been posted about Rockys with the menu and prices in detail like was done at Big D's. Hell the Black Box on the beach has a All u Can Eat BBQ on Thurs.

I can understand D's costing a little more with beach overhead and limited hours of opportunity. If no resent pics and reviews come in I will go eat there when I return to Sosua the end of March and Early April and post pics.

Lets keep it honest and not just a specially prepared plate for the camera but random table pics.

Again in fairness to Rocky's Apos mentioned they have good Pizza after 5pm and I have not tried it but will. La Vocha is so far the Pizza winner easily beating Bologna but maybe Rocky's will take the pizza title which I admit is a personal taste thing to a great extent.

You all know I luv Rocky's but I am trying to be very even in my reviews. That said, some of the best pizza around comes out of the Rocky's pizza oven and the price is also better than most other places. Everyone I have pointed to Rocky's for the pizza has been impressed and are now fans and repeat customers. As good as the pizza has been over the years I find it even better now...not sure exactly why but give it a try and let us know what you think!
Let's have beers on the beach when you come to the DR next! :iconTU:

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/33274b6c33f206077.jpg)

I wonder if my sleepy friend will have a comment on the pizza....and HE knows pizza! :D

bentwire
03-03-2010, 06:24 PM
I think what your missing here in your chicken size comparisons, is not all cocks get the same size at full growth :rofl::rofl:

Now really what i am telling you is that commercial chickens in the US are not the same breed of chicken we grown here on the farm, Like Dominican chickens we chose our chickens for several different reasons

Most commercial chicken growers in the US (TYSON) grow fast growth bird breeds that are pumped full of grow fast disease inhibitive steroids, these are the chickens you are seeing in most of the US store bought chicken.

Most of us in the country that grow our own Chickens grow a breed called the buff orington, or a other good farm breed

We pick our breeds for many different reasons, some of us like good egg layers, some like a docile friendly bird that will range feed and eat yard bugs.

Some simply chose the breed because of the pretty color,, trust me there is no difference from a Dominican Silver Laced wyndott and a American or Japanese,,,, breeds are breeds and nationality isn't a factor.

Feed sources can add to or take away from the favorer, but essentially a bird on 21% protein is going to make the meat that in the allotted growth time for that breed is capable of producing.

For more on Animal Husbandry and the fowl bird that haunts your barn
Read the little red rooster by Heneritia Leghorn

jacknback
03-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Didn't realize you could get breakfast at Rockies. I ate at Baileys everyday and the price is probably a little better at Rockies.

whynotme
03-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Didn't realize you could get breakfast at Rockies. I ate at Baileys everyday and the price is probably a little better at Rockies.
rockies has a great breakfast.........everyone used to/does gather there for a reasonable priced meal,great selection and it was always cooked to order...free wifi and usually some chicas there checking in with their wu novias;)....i heard the ribs have gone down hill but you can always tell a good restaurant by how good its breakfast is:D so next time you should check it out

mikelodge
03-03-2010, 10:26 PM
I think what your missing here in your chicken size comparisons, is not all cocks get the same size at full growth :rofl::rofl:

Now really what i am telling you is that commercial chickens in the US are not the same breed of chicken we grown here on the farm, Like Dominican chickens we chose our chickens for several different reasons

Most commercial chicken growers in the US (TYSON) grow fast growth bird breeds that are pumped full of grow fast disease inhibitive steroids, these are the chickens you are seeing in most of the US store bought chicken.

Most of us in the country that grow our own Chickens grow a breed called the buff orington, or a other good farm breed

We pick our breeds for many different reasons, some of us like good egg layers, some like a docile friendly bird that will range feed and eat yard bugs.

Some simply chose the breed because of the pretty color,, trust me there is no difference from a Dominican Silver Laced wyndott and a American or Japanese,,,, breeds are breeds and nationality isn't a factor.

Feed sources can add to or take away from the favorer, but essentially a bird on 21% protein is going to make the meat that in the allotted growth time for that breed is capable of producing.

I like to feed the Food Service Salemen a couple of drinks then order up some Minnesota Golden Plump Chicken for Wings that are available in many sizes to get the big ones and then get the whole chickens for roasting and grilling the same place we get our other organic meats for special menu items like Lamb, Turkey, Rabbit and Veal where I get my eggs for personal use.

http://www.eatwild.com/products/minnesota.html

One of my favorites in North Central MN is on there. Beaver Creek Farms in Mora MN. Just the name alone Beaver Creek makes my smile. :lol:

Only days to SD Hooters Wings.

gdogg
03-04-2010, 01:12 AM

Outside of the hotel freebies, I don't think I've ever had breakfast anywhere else in Sosua but Rocky's. Started with the #44 omelette con papas (Apos' fault), now eat the #43. All good stuff!
:)

MrHappy
03-04-2010, 12:01 PM

You're right, all cocks are not created equal. That's why we can't use the same condoms.

What may be too small for me, will fit you and still be a little loose.

So, if you want to buy lifestyles........... hey wait, this isn't the condom thread, is it?

Sorry...

naptime
03-04-2010, 12:03 PM
i've had #43 3 days now, and the #1 3 times and today had the #49... what can i say, carmen wore me out this morning !!

anyway, i keep seeing people say the ribs have gone downhill... i dont get it.. they taste EXACTLY the same as they have on the past two trips i visited rockies, while under marco ownership and under ricks. they haven't changed. the rib sauce recipe was part of the deal.

also.. the pizza....

i have admitted to not being a rib fan. of anyone's. but i do like rockies. i dont like chicken wings. but i like rockies. its the sauce..

but pizza... i think i am entitled to a proffessional opinion when it comes to pizza.

seeings how i run a pizza shop, and have been doing pizza for a number of years, i think its safe to say that my opinion counts... at least in this area... call me an expert witness if you will :)

is rockies the best pizza i have ever had? NO.

but, it IS the best pizza i have had in the DR. bar none.

i've had pizza in puerto plata, playa cofresi, and in cabarette. here in sosua i have had pizza at two different places on the beach, and here at rockies.

hands down, rockies beats them all.

its different than the pizza i would make at home, and different than anything i have had at home.

its not "new york style thin" and its not "chicago deep dish"

the crust is a hand rolled dough ball, that is then either hand tossed or rolled (im GUESSING rolled) out into a crust. then topped with the toppings and cooked.

the crust comes out about 1/2" - 5/8" thick. not doughy in the center. cooked fully. it's not being run though a conveyor oven, and its not being cooked in a pan or on a screen, that much i can tell from the taste.

my guess is that they are cooking it on a stone pizza peel, in a conventional oven, or a stone oven. but im not sure, and i haven't asked rick. somethings i would like to remain a mystery.

the toppings are generously placed on the pizza. and spread around evenly. so you have ample items in each bite. the cheese is obviously much different than the "mozzerala" you may be used to in the u.s. it almost tastes like unpasturized cheese, but im not sure about pasterurization laws here in the dr.

i can tell you a few other things...

after the last trip here... i have tried.. and tnt72 can verify.. i have tried.. on numerous occasions, to duplicate a rockies pizza at home.... can't do it.

im no cordon bleu chef... but give me a pizza, anywhere, made by anyone, and within a few hours, i can normally duplicate that pizza to perfection...

i have not been able to duplicate rockies. and i have tried !!!!

now again.. i'm not saying its the best pizza ever. for some it may be. pizza is a highly arguable subject, because so many people like different styles of pizza.

but, it is , withou question, the best "I" have had anywhere in the dr thus far.

whynotme
03-04-2010, 03:08 PM
naptime;
i was in rockies when i first met jimmy and we both had the pizza and if memory serves me correct it was the best in town.

Jimmydr
03-04-2010, 05:28 PM
naptime;
i was in rockies when i first met jimmy and we both had the pizza and if memory serves me correct it was the best in town.

I thought you didn't like it so gave me half?

whynotme
03-04-2010, 06:12 PM
I thought you didn't like it so gave me half?
i thought you just helped your self:rofl::rofl:

Jimmydr
03-04-2010, 06:18 PM
i thought you just helped your self:rofl::rofl:

I just met you and you said take some.

whynotme
03-04-2010, 06:21 PM
I just met you and you said take some.
i am old:eek: and senile:eek::eek::rofl::rofl::rofl:

oh and canadian too eh;)

Jimmydr
03-04-2010, 06:22 PM
i am old:eek: and senile:eek::eek::rofl::rofl::rofl:

oh and canadian too eh;)

I am not as old but more senile on and not Canadian.:D

mikelodge
03-04-2010, 07:27 PM
i've had #43 3 days now, and the #1 3 times and today had the #49... what can i say, carmen wore me out this morning !!

anyway, i keep seeing people say the ribs have gone downhill... i dont get it.. they taste EXACTLY the same as they have on the past two trips i visited rockies, while under marco ownership and under ricks. they haven't changed. the rib sauce recipe was part of the deal.

also.. the pizza....

i have admitted to not being a rib fan. of anyone's. but i do like rockies. i dont like chicken wings. but i like rockies. its the sauce..

but pizza... i think i am entitled to a proffessional opinion when it comes to pizza.

seeings how i run a pizza shop, and have been doing pizza for a number of years, i think its safe to say that my opinion counts... at least in this area... call me an expert witness if you will :)

is rockies the best pizza i have ever had? NO.

but, it IS the best pizza i have had in the DR. bar none.

i've had pizza in puerto plata, playa cofresi, and in cabarette. here in sosua i have had pizza at two different places on the beach, and here at rockies.

hands down, rockies beats them all.

its different than the pizza i would make at home, and different than anything i have had at home.

its not "new york style thin" and its not "chicago deep dish"

the crust is a hand rolled dough ball, that is then either hand tossed or rolled (im GUESSING rolled) out into a crust. then topped with the toppings and cooked.

the crust comes out about 1/2" - 5/8" thick. not doughy in the center. cooked fully. it's not being run though a conveyor oven, and its not being cooked in a pan or on a screen, that much i can tell from the taste.

my guess is that they are cooking it on a stone pizza peel, in a conventional oven, or a stone oven. but im not sure, and i haven't asked rick. somethings i would like to remain a mystery.

the toppings are generously placed on the pizza. and spread around evenly. so you have ample items in each bite. the cheese is obviously much different than the "mozzerala" you may be used to in the u.s. it almost tastes like unpasturized cheese, but im not sure about pasterurization laws here in the dr.

i can tell you a few other things...

after the last trip here... i have tried.. and tnt72 can verify.. i have tried.. on numerous occasions, to duplicate a rockies pizza at home.... can't do it.

im no cordon bleu chef... but give me a pizza, anywhere, made by anyone, and within a few hours, i can normally duplicate that pizza to perfection...

i have not been able to duplicate rockies. and i have tried !!!!

now again.. i'm not saying its the best pizza ever. for some it may be. pizza is a highly arguable subject, because so many people like different styles of pizza.

but, it is , withou question, the best "I" have had anywhere in the dr thus far.

I haven't tried Rockies yet but will soon. I agree the pizza I had at the beach wasn't very good.

Bologna was better than the beach and a nice thin crust and good enough to eat again especially since they deliver but I preferred Oh La Vocha on PC by Jolly Roger with the Cow out front.

They use REAL mozzerala that even tastes REAL also on a nice thin crust with some decent quality meats. I look forward to comparing then this month.

Jimmydr
03-05-2010, 12:46 PM
They use REAL mozzerala that even tastes REAL also on a nice thin crust with some decent quality meats. I look forward to comparing then this month.

Do many places use fake cheese?

mikelodge
03-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Do many places use fake cheese?

Some Vegetarian places do use cheese that I would not consider real since many of us think Real cheese comes from milk from a cow. These Veg joints use that Soy Cheese crap that most pizza lovers wouldn't consider real mozzerala.

Now lets think about goat cheese very common in Mexico and probably the DR.
Would we consider that Real Mozzerala??

Many places have gone to a cheese blend example Pizza Hut. Remember when you were a kid and the pizza cheese strong out in front of you (real mozzarela) not it is a powdery substance blended with cheaper cheeses.

Fake perhaps I wouldn't use that word but it is not the same. :biggrin:

Jimmydr
03-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Now lets think about goat cheese very common in Mexico and probably the DR.
Would we consider that Real Mozzerala??

Actually goat cheese and Mozzerela and swiss and munster and American are all different types.

They have imported mozz which you are use to and the local brand which I didn't really like that much.

mikelodge
03-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Actually goat cheese and Mozzerela and swiss and munster and American are all different types.

They have imported mozz which you are use to and the local brand which I didn't really like that much.

Playero carries a very nice selection of meats and cheeses. I was surprised the first time in there that they have more variety than the deli section in many American grocery stores. Due I am sure mainly to the diversity of visitors from the US and Europe who live and visit there. I love good Deli.

I got a box of crap from a food service saleman who asked us to try it for pizzas or whatever at the bar. It said part skim mozzerella, asiago and parmesan cheese blends, soy milk solids, a list of about 10 additives like enzymes and cultures. The funny part was it was made in Wisconsin the Dairy State of Cheeseheads and had the trademark logo Real Cheese.

It melted like milky white stuff that if you over heated it turned brown faster than normal.

I still think anything that comes out of a tit or is made from what came out of a tit is better than Clark Griswalds additive enhanced stuff.

I would throw a slab of good cheese in my bag to bring down but I wouldn't want to smell cheesy. :rofl:

JD426
03-05-2010, 06:44 PM
There are expensive cheeses and Cheap (filler) cheeses.
Ask any pizzeria owner, and if he is honest they will tell you its a fine balance of putting in just enough of the HIGH quality expensive cheese, to make the pizza taste good, but you need a certain VOLUME of cheese on the pizza, so u use the filler cheese as well to make your blend.
If you were to use only the expensive stuff, you would not be profitable .

Jimmydr
03-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Ask any pizzeria owner, and if he is honest they will tell you its a fine balance of putting in just enough of the HIGH quality expensive cheese, to make the pizza taste good, but you need a certain VOLUME of cheese on the pizza, so u use the filler cheese as well to make your blend.
If you were to use only the expensive stuff, you would not be profitable .

Come to NY and say that to Vinnie, Stevie, Patsy and see if they admit anything.

mikelodge
03-05-2010, 06:52 PM
If you were to use only the expensive stuff, you would not be profitable .[/

There are too many factors to profitable to make that absolute like volume, overhead and price. Many places can do the volume here in the Midwest where the cost of cheese is probably the lowest to use all high quality product.

They are definitely not the cheap whore with a 2 for 1 coupon on the back of a cash register tape. :lol: Goes back to everything You Can Sometimes Get What You Pay For.

Jimmydr
03-05-2010, 06:53 PM
There are too many factors to profitable to make that absolute like volume, overhead and price. Many places can do the volume here in the Midwest where the cost of cheese is probably the lowest to use all high quality product.

They are definitely not the cheap whore with a 2 for 1 coupon on the back of a cash register tape. :lol: Goes back to everything You Can Sometimes Get What You Pay For.

You never had real pizza in the midwest. Sorry Pizza Hut is not Pizza.

mikelodge
03-05-2010, 07:06 PM

Oh Hey know you NY guys think that stuff you fold up or eat of paper is the only Real Pizza in the World. Chicago still is rated Number One by many but it is Blond vs Brunette.

Even MN has real Pizza, I mean seriously great highly rated Pizza not from a chain supplied its product in 50 pound batches.

Pizza Luce -Minneapolis and Duluth www.pizzaluce.com
Green Mill All over MN and other areas --http://www.greenmill.com/
Axels Bonfire-- http://www.axelsbonfire.com/menus
Broadway Pizza--http://www.broadwaypizza.com/

All these started in MN just to name a few. They all now owe me a Pizza Damn that was the easiest 4 Pizza's I ever got. Brett Farve ate at Axels his first night in town with Chilly the coach.

Jimmydr
03-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Oh Hey know you NY guys think that stuff you fold up or eat of paper is the only Real Pizza in the World. Chicago still is rated Number One by many but it is Blond vs Brunette.

Even MN has real Pizza, I mean seriously great highly rated Pizza not from a chain supplied its product in 50 pound batches.

Pizza Luce -Minneapolis and Duluth www.pizzaluce.com
Green Mill All over MN and other areas --http://www.greenmill.com/
Axels Bonfire-- http://www.axelsbonfire.com/menus
Broadway Pizza--http://www.broadwaypizza.com/

All these started in MN just to name a few. They all now owe me a Pizza Damn that was the easiest 4 Pizza's I ever got. Brett Farve ate at Axels his first night in town with Chilly the coach.

I had great pizza in New York, Boston, Philly and Florida. If an Italian guy ain't making it, its not pizza.

TNT72
03-05-2010, 07:27 PM

So when we have the Toledo Dinner, Jimmy, you'll have to get here for lunch so you can sit down and have some pizza from myself and Naptime's store! Shit can be as addicting as latina pussy!!! :drool: :drool:

Jimmydr
03-05-2010, 07:29 PM
So when we have the Toledo Dinner, Jimmy, you'll have to get here for lunch so you can sit down and have some pizza from myself and Naptime's store! Shit can be as addicting as latina pussy!!! :drool: :drool:

I had some great "Kosher Thai Food" and it was so great that I spit it out. You guys most likely never had real pizza. Now Latina pussy, thats always great!

mikelodge
03-05-2010, 07:45 PM
I had some great "Kosher Thai Food" and it was so great that I spit it out. You guys most likely never had real pizza. Now Latina pussy, thats always great!

Kosher Thai Food now that Frickin Funny. I would love to see that live seafood and those Pork Spring Rolls blessed properly. :lol: But then who knows in New York you might even be serious and they might have something like that.

In MN we go to Fishmans Deli or Little Tel-Aviv for Deli and they don't have any Thai Food :rofl:

naptime
03-05-2010, 08:01 PM

i'VHE JHAD PIOWSDDAS OI NMTHE MIDWEST ANMD JEW UYORIK ANMD CJHOICAGO AND NBRAZIL AND GEREMAMNIO AND IN SWITTZERKLAN MAD DOMINCINAONCK NREPJNBLIC.

ALLD GOOD OPOZAS NUIT NONITHIGN AS GOOD AS WHETAT I JAHJFD IN TE H ITALIAUY. TJHAT GUY IIUS IS HTEI JBNESTH

gdogg
03-05-2010, 08:06 PM
i'VHE JHAD PIOWSDDAS OI NMTHE MIDWEST ANMD JEW UYORIK ANMD CJHOICAGO AND NBRAZIL AND GEREMAMNIO AND IN SWITTZERKLAN MAD DOMINCINAONCK NREPJNBLIC.

ALLD GOOD OPOZAS NUIT NONITHIGN AS GOOD AS WHETAT I JAHJFD IN TE H ITALIAUY. TJHAT GUY IIUS IS HTEI JBNESTH

Nap is just pulling our leg now...right?

JD426
03-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Hard to say really. That boy does seem to enjoy a shot and a beer from time to time. Maybe he fell into a whole bottle of Jack tonight ?:rofl:

gdogg
03-05-2010, 08:45 PM
I've done the same, but it only resulted in some angry typing. Still legible though.

Apos
03-05-2010, 08:49 PM
btw or is it FYI :rolleyes:

Rocky's has Wiser's 18 year old Whiskey
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/33364b91b3328bdff.jpg
the finest Canadian Whiskey and likely the only bar on the island to have it!

We're drinking a new bottle of it right now....delicioso!!!! :p:rofl:

mikelodge
03-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Hard to say really. That boy does seem to enjoy a shot and a beer from time to time. Maybe he fell into a whole bottle of Jack tonight ?:rofl:

People on Ludes Should not Drive. :lol:

I think being he is there at this time of night he would have to be awful board to plan that out. If you look at 2 words at a time there is a pattern.

Of course this is just a Preliminary Investiagation and I would have to wait for Yayow to Post the complete Thesis :rofl:

It isn't in his trip report so it could be an imposter. I hope he wasn't drugged and kidnapped. :rofl:

mikelodge
03-05-2010, 08:52 PM
btw or is it FYI :rolleyes:

Rocky's has Wiser's 18 year old Whiskey
Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/33364b91b3328bdff.jpg)
the finest Canadian Whiskey and likely the only bar on the island to have it!

We're drinking a new bottle of it right now....delicioso!!!! :p:rofl:

Coyote Bar has Jack Daniels for Americans :p:lol::lol::lol:

Apos
03-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Coyote Bar has Jack Daniels for Americans :p:lol::lol::lol:JD is like Kerosene in comparison! :rofl::p:p:p;):eek::rolleyes:

gdogg
03-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Me likey the kerosene!! Maybe it's a southern thing.

http://shop.kungroup.com/images/jack_daniels-9205.gif

JuanElGriego
03-05-2010, 09:22 PM
I had great pizza in New York, Boston, Philly and Florida. If an Italian guy ain't making it, its not pizza.

In 2010 NYC, even if the pizza joint is owned by an Italian, he's most likely got Mexicans making the pizza.

Apos
03-05-2010, 09:23 PM

Click to see pic (http://shop.kungroup.com/images/jack_daniels-9205.gif)

I always preferred Knob Creek or Maker's Mark ;):lol:

JuanElGriego
03-05-2010, 09:25 PM

Why am i getting 3somefan flashbacks??

Apos
03-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Naptime's no 3somefan! :p:rofl:
Why am i getting 3somefan flashbacks??...but if he pisses in the middle of the street, hands behind head, we're going to have to have a poll!!! :eek::lol::rolleyes:

gdogg
03-05-2010, 09:41 PM

Pardon me, Mr. Hifalutin'!
:)

gdogg
03-05-2010, 09:43 PM
Why am i getting 3somefan flashbacks??

Better to be crazy drunk on the keyboard than on the streets with the politur. I'm sure he behaves in public. Plus we're in full force there to protect him if necessary...I hope.

JuanElGriego
03-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Better to be crazy drunk on the keyboard than on the streets with the politur. I'm sure he behaves in public. Plus we're in full force there to protect him if necessary...I hope.

I was only kidding.

There's only ONE 3somefan.

TNT72
03-05-2010, 09:49 PM

ME TOO!!!!!!! Feeling like shit now cause I canceled! I've never seen him like this for a night, let alone 2 nights!

gdogg
03-05-2010, 09:51 PM
ME TOO!!!!!!! Feeling like shit now cause I canceled! I've never seen him like this for a night, let alone 2 nights!

I have a feeling he'll be fine.
:wink:

mikelodge
03-05-2010, 10:00 PM

Click to see pic (http://shop.kungroup.com/images/jack_daniels-9205.gif)

Never listen to a Canadian about Real Whiskey. If it wasn't for Prohibition they wouldn't have gotten the market share they have.

Try to sell that Canadian stuff in Texas or many parts of the south. :rofl::p

Colt and Remington didn't win the Wild West Jim Beam did. :rofl::lol:

mikelodge
03-05-2010, 10:04 PM

There is hope for you yet, :lol:

In all seriousness I have finished many a bottle of Crown myself when I owned a resort and would go out ice fishing overnight. It had something to do with anti-freeze. Cold Joke of course :eek: only Northerners would understand :lol::rofl::p

JuanElGriego
03-05-2010, 10:11 PM

He's just having a really good time!!!

Don't worry, like Gdogg said, he couldn't ask for a better group of guys to have his back.

naptime
03-05-2010, 11:58 PM
TREY NEERERDF HELHP ROTHRER!!!!

gdogg
03-06-2010, 12:01 AM
TREY NEERERDF HELHP ROTHRER!!!!

You're not answering your phone!! CALL TNT ASAP!!!!!!!

LJDMV
03-22-2010, 09:01 PM
I stopped by here tonight to get some chicken and fries. 2 cute females working behind the bar. One was pregnant, and the other one a cute light skin Spinner. Very nice place and the females behind the bar were nice too. I will certainly stop by there again for another meal or drinks before i leave Sosua.

naptime
03-22-2010, 09:13 PM
I stopped by here tonight to get some chicken and fries. 2 cute females working behind the bar. One was pregnant, and the other one a cute light skin Spinner. Very nice place and the females behind the bar were nice too. I will certainly stop by there again for another meal or drinks before i leave Sosua.

when you stop in again, tell mi unica amore i said hello :)

dilcia, the pregnant one... my one true dominican love. tell her jay says he loves her !

TNT72
03-22-2010, 11:33 PM

dilcia, the pregnant one... my one true dominican love. tell her jay says he loves her !

And tell that cute little light skinned spinner that Trey is thinking about her and can't wait to give her a kiss!!!!!

naptime
03-22-2010, 11:35 PM
trey!!!

i've been looking at spirit...

now to mid may.... only 247 round trip !!!!

end of may it jumps up to 370 until after august...

weekend trip?!?!?!? THINK ABOUT IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TNT72
03-22-2010, 11:39 PM
trey!!!

i've been looking at spirit...

now to mid may.... only 247 round trip !!!!

end of may it jumps up to 370 until after august...

weekend trip?!?!?!? THINK ABOUT IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your a DICK! A complete DICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok,OK, I've got alot( and I mean ALOT) of credit and skymiles on Spirit!!!! Give me a week or two to finish this shit off and I'll be headed for an emergency trip!!!

naptime
03-22-2010, 11:43 PM
just say the word and let me know when your ready...

mid may is the cut off for the 250 rate !!

im thinking roll down on thursday, come home on monday.

or tuesday to sunday might be even better :D

i'll make sure anna has a nice cold presidente waiting for you :)

hell a short trip like that.. dont even need to check baggage. just a laptop and a carry on, and im good...

FnB
04-09-2010, 12:01 AM

Damn Dilcia is pregnant??..can't be mad at that cat

mikelodge
04-09-2010, 12:54 AM
Damn Dilcia is pregnant??..can't be mad at that cat

Someone should go in Rockies and take pictures of the computers from the graveyard and the make shift tables they are on. They are very icky, Plenty scary to me. They should burn all of those little tables and carts in a big pile or dump them down the end of PC in the woods like others have done. :eek:

But the food is great

Dafishguy
04-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Thank you for your suggestion Mike. Actually, the computers are one of the things I am working on as money allows.

I upgraded the insides of two of them with new Mobo's, CPU's and hard drives and I am working on the rest. The tables are another story. We will be replacing them as soon as possible. In the DR it is sometimes necessary to make do with what you have. Now that Ikea is here in SD, I am planning a trip down for just that reason, to purchase new furniture for the computer stations. Hopefully, I will have done that by early May.

Rocky's actually makes no money off the computers being there. Anything we collect goes to pay the electricity they use and for repairs that are needed even more so then your personal computer at home because of all the different people using them. They are there solely for the convenience of our guests and customers.

Keep your eyes open, the suggestions you made are always taken to heart and acted upon as soon as possible. If fact, all the tables, chairs and computers were thoroughly cleaned after the wedding when they were put back into place. I think you will see an improvement.

Take care and hope to meet you soon,

Rick

Jimmydr
04-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Rocky's actually makes no money off the computers being there. Anything we collect goes to pay the electricity they use and for repairs that are needed even more so then your personal computer at home because of all the different people using them. They are there solely for the convenience of our guests and

Actually you do make money off them. We use to eat there everyday because of the computers. I think I ate well over 200 breakfasts in Rockies over 3 years.

If there were no computers, I may never have stopped by.:p

Dafishguy
04-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Actually you do make money off them. We use to eat there everyday because of the computers. I think I ate well over 200 breakfasts in Rockies over 3 years.

If there were no computers, I may never have stopped by.:p

Ohhh, good point Jimmy. You are of course absolutely right about that.

Take care,

Rick

mikelodge
04-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Thank you for your suggestion Mike. Actually, the computers are one of the things I am working on as money allows.

I upgraded the insides of two of them with new Mobo's, CPU's and hard drives and I am working on the rest. The tables are another story. We will be replacing them as soon as possible. In the DR it is sometimes necessary to make do with what you have. Now that Ikea is here in SD, I am planning a trip down for just that reason, to purchase new furniture for the computer stations. Hopefully, I will have done that by early May.

Rocky's actually makes no money off the computers being there. Anything we collect goes to pay the electricity they use and for repairs that are needed even more so then your personal computer at home because of all the different people using them. They are there solely for the convenience of our guests and customers.

Keep your eyes open, the suggestions you made are always taken to heart and acted upon as soon as possible. If fact, all the tables, chairs and computers were thoroughly cleaned after the wedding when they were put back into place. I think you will see an improvement.

Take care and hope to meet you soon,

Rick

Now that is the most intelligent and professional business owner reply I have ever heard in the DR. Thank You

Festy
05-06-2010, 03:17 PM
I have stayed at Rocky's a couple of times and have eaten there often. Many positives for that business but there are a couple things that could be improved.

PROS: Price (at $25 or UNDER it is hard to beat that price), Location is GREAT, a short walk to the beach or to the clubs. Lou's is around the corner. Staff is mostly friendly, there is one cutie there that almost never smiles but there is almost always ONE at every establishment. Food quality is EXCELLENT. Having WiFi on the property is a MUST and their setup worked well for me.

CONS: I haven't stayed in the rooms there for about a year but at that time they were well worn, in need of paint and repair yet functional. Hot water was touch and go as was the water pressure at times. Food preparation time is generally SLOW. A group of mongers were joking that they would like to eat the same day they ordered their meal. I like the breakfast there but it is almost always 30-45 minutes to receive my eggs. a couple of times OVER AN HOUR. Not a big deal if you are sitting with your fellow monger buddies exchanging stories but if you want to go anywhere on a schedule you had better allocate EXTRA time to wait for your food there. I had breakfast there back in March, again about 45 minutes for a couple eggs, meat and toast (no, they were NOT busy, only two other couples in the joint). This trip I was charged for EACH cup of coffee, cant remember the price but something like 25-35 pesos EACH..had breakfast next door at the Terra Linda the next day and the coffee had free refills...and honestly a better quality breakfast (and served in about 10-15 minutes). I will return to Rockys for sure but they may have lost my breakfast business for the short term.

My experiences at Rocky's have been mixed but I still like the place overall and will definitely stop in for eats and drinks.