PDA

View Full Version : Sunken treasure galleon explorations

NewsWhore
02-23-2010, 09:20 PM
Marina Exploration under Burt Webber has announced that it is expanding its operations in Dominican waters now that it has the capacity to run simultaneous shipwreck location operations. "Initially, we will be able to work two treasure wrecks concurrently, using the R/V Hispaniola as a master vessel. Following that, we will be able to enlist another vessel as a support platform over one of our established wrecks while the R/V Hispaniola maintains treasure recovery operations over another site. I am thrilled that I have the well tested equipment and well trained crew to accomplish this exciting task," he said.
Webber added that the Dominican Government has publicly described it as the most significant shipwreck discovery in the 21st century, and expressed his significant excitement on the cusp of the R/V Hispaniola's return to treasure recovery. Webber stated, "My men and I are very excited about our return to the north coast and our resuming recovery of treasure and artifacts from the 'Solo Deo Gloria' shipwreck. We have successfully recovered gold, diamond, pearl and silver treasure already in our very short initial run and we have covered only about 5% of the wreck site so far." Preservation of the treasure and artifacts is ongoing under the direct supervision of the Dominican government and appraisals will be forthcoming, with values expected to be extremely significant due to the historical importance of the recoveries.
Webber explained: "We are also extremely excited about the immediate ongoing investigation of 5 additional wrecks which are in our exclusive contract area. We are very optimistic that these may be treasure galleon sites because of their location. Our contract area, containing parts of the Silver Bank, the Navidad Bank and critical areas along the North Coast of the Dominican Republic, covers the path that damaged, distressed and disoriented ships traveled during over 300 years of Spanish commerce. Historically, once a ship cleared the Straits of Florida, if it encountered trouble, it was ordered to sail for Puerto Rico. However, because of an inability to calculate longitude and because of the need to avoid the Gulf Stream forces, many of these ships ended up sinking in what is now our contract area."
Marine Exploration, Inc. and joint venture partner Hispaniola Ventures, LLC, headed by Burt D. Webber Jr., has plans to continue the shipwreck site survey and salvage and anticipate locating and recovering additional historic shipwrecks with valuable artifacts and treasure. Working under exclusive contract with the Dominican Republic, the Company has plans in place to pursue a number of notable shipwrecks in Dominican Republic territorial and jurisdictional waters. www.mexp.biz (http://www.mexp.biz)

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#7)