PDA

View Full Version : Golfing in DR

elmudo
02-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Hello hobbyists,
I'll be in DR in April with a few friends...and while we'll be hitting up the chicas at night, during the day time we want to play golf.

What are the best golf courses in DR? Are they in puerto plata or in puntacana? and how does one go about getting tee time?

thanks,
elmudo

Tiger
02-24-2010, 01:01 PM
Hello hobbyists,
I'll be in DR in April with a few friends...and while we'll be hitting up the chicas at night, during the day time we want to play golf.

What are the best golf courses in DR? Are they in puerto plata or in puntacana? and how does one go about getting tee time?

thanks,
elmudo

I have played golf in DR many times. What part of the country are you going to be in? Puerta Plata and Punta Cana are very far apart but there are great courses both places.

sicpup71
02-24-2010, 01:06 PM
Hello hobbyists,

thanks,
elmudo

i think for once we might have to send you over to dr1 for info, just leave out the whoring part and you should be ok. also so i would thinkPlayaDorada (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&ved=0CA0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.playadorada.com.do%2F&ei=2mmFS_HJPIqANqTLiTQ&usg=AFQjCNGm61Cp10343slFGvfRU4M2gRh_2A&sig2=OhKCGALJLxuQZlUl3Wfyig) might be a good place to start.

http://www.playadoradagolf.com/

http://www.playadorada.com.do/page.php

gdogg
02-24-2010, 01:06 PM
I was gonna say the same thing as Tiger. I was doing a search for details, but I gave up. Definitely need to know which place he prefers.

elmudo
02-24-2010, 03:12 PM
We're going to be staying in Sosua for the entire time. But we'll ride to Puerta Plata for the Playa Dorado golf course.

I hear there's another, even better one..is that in PuntaCana?

Hunter
02-24-2010, 03:16 PM
We're going to be staying in Sosua for the entire time. But we'll ride to Puerta Plata for the Playa Dorado golf course.

Don't even bother with Dorado... it sucks...

Go to the one on the ocean an hour and half away... I cant think of the name now... they were going to close it to the public so make sure you check public can still play.

Awesome beautiful course..must do.....

Tiger
02-24-2010, 03:22 PM

Punta Cana is way too far.

The best course in DR and maybe in the Caribbean is Playa Grande. It is about 45-60 minutes east of Sosua just past a little town called San Juan. It has been called the Pebble Beach of the Caribbean. If I remember right, 11-12 holes are right on the ocean with 30-40 foot clifts. If you are going to play golf in the Sosua area, this course is a must.

sicpup71
02-24-2010, 04:38 PM
Punta Cana is way too far.

The best course in DR and maybe in the Caribbean is Playa Grande. It is about 45-60 minutes east of Sosua just past a little town called San Juan. It has been called the Pebble Beach of the Caribbean. If I remember right, 11-12 holes are right on the ocean with 30-40 foot clifts. If you are going to play golf in the Sosua area, this course is a must.

http://www.playagrande.com/#/GOLF?mode=english

nybm9x5
02-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Damn you guys are fast with replys.

#! Playa Grande ###1 All coments above are true. (Ask for caddy #1 LuLa. Tell him Calvin from New York sent you.)

For the POP area ..

A distant #2 Dorado (I know some disagree.. but it was "OK" with me. )

#3 Santiago Country Club Yes this is a hike but well worth it. The course is carved out of a mountain side. You will hit drives that fall further down then they can be hit horizontally. Magnificent elevated tees. Not in great condition but playable, and you will love the price. Cheap. I played there about five years ago for $20 and $10 for the caddy including cart. I hired a driver all day for $65 with tip and lunch.

There was a 9 hole course in Cabarete that, at the time I was there, was not worth the trip. I took one look and did not play. However the caddies were just great people.

I will be a NG Thursday to Monday. Let me know if you want to play. Ask Wilfred for my room number.

C

PS: Punta Cana is a long way to go. Next time stay over that end. Bring cash, and play Dye Fore, and Teeth of the Dog down in Casa deCampo (opps, you have to get a room for the night to be able to afford to play. Last quote was $450 but $150 with a room.)

c

tomgueguen
02-24-2010, 08:56 PM
I have no time for that.

Daytime I relax or I hunt.

The only way you'll see me on a course is if there where chica on but infortunatly my kind of chica does not play golf (even if they deal with balls and holes).

dashadow
02-24-2010, 09:02 PM
I played Playa Dorado at the end of January. Nice course, some nice views of the ocean. Beware of tourist trap prices, however. The $95 US green fee is steep for what you get, and they want you to take a cart AND an caddie.

Wanted to play Los Mangos in Costambar, but the chica's at Blackbeard's wouldn't let me leave. :)

Tiger
02-25-2010, 03:17 PM
Damn you guys are fast with replys.

#! Playa Grande ###1 All coments above are true. (Ask for caddy #1 LuLa. Tell him Calvin from New York sent you.)

For the POP area ..

A distant #2 Dorado (I know some disagree.. but it was "OK" with me. )

#3 Santiago Country Club Yes this is a hike but well worth it. The course is carved out of a mountain side. You will hit drives that fall further down then they can be hit horizontally. Magnificent elevated tees. Not in great condition but playable, and you will love the price. Cheap. I played there about five years ago for $20 and $10 for the caddy including cart. I hired a driver all day for $65 with tip and lunch.

There was a 9 hole course in Cabarete that, at the time I was there, was not worth the trip. I took one look and did not play. However the caddies were just great people.

I will be a NG Thursday to Monday. Let me know if you want to play. Ask Wilfred for my room number.

C

PS: Punta Cana is a long way to go. Next time stay over that end. Bring cash, and play Dye Fore, and Teeth of the Dog down in Casa deCampo (opps, you have to get a room for the night to be able to afford to play. Last quote was $450 but $150 with a room.)

c

I agree. Playa Dorado is a decent course. Not a Playa Grande but if you are going to play all week it is nice for a change. #18 is a fun finishing hole.

On another note:

The green fees can sometimes be negotiated. If you have a group of guys and will play the same course a couple times, you may be able to dicker with the price by paying for all the rounds up front.

MedellinisMowgli
02-25-2010, 09:36 PM
if u bring a chica with you, can u bang her on the 9th green?

or is that frowned upon?

craneguy
02-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Don't even bother with Dorado... it sucks...

Go to the one on the ocean an hour and half away... I cant think of the name now... they were going to close it to the public so make sure you check public can still play.

Awesome beautiful course..must do.....

That would be Playa Grande, and the Playa Grande beach just past the Golf course makes a great day drip.

elmudo
03-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Thank you all for this information. Playa Grande it is..just checked out the website and it's gorgeous! I think they're starting renovations in late 2010 so we'll still get to play when we get there in April 2010.

daddyooo
03-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Speaking of Golf...This video gave me a good laugh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUj_qqVxVrE