PDA

View Full Version : Over 100 dead in a DR prison

Gladiator
03-07-2005, 03:11 PM
Dominican prisons are real crap, in case someone had any doubt...

I've seen this article in the news today.

Al menos 133 muertos a causa de un motÃ*n en una prisión dominicana

http://www.pixpond.com/pix/presos.jpg

Se inició tras un enfrentamiento entre bandas rivales

Al menos 133 personas han muerto en el transcurso de un motÃ*n en la prisión de Higüey, unos 145 kilómetros al este de Santo Domingo. El motÃ*n se inició la madrugada de este lunes tras un enfrentamiento entre bandas rivales de presos, precisó el portavoz de la PolicÃ*a Nacional dominicana.

Efectivos policiales consiguieron sofocar el enfrentamiento, pero poco después algunos presos se amotinaron y provocaron un incendio en uno de los pabellones de la prisión, que albergaba a unos 400 reos.

"Hemos sacado todos los cadáveres que habÃ*a en el pabellón incendiado, y la cifra de muertos es de 133 personas", señaló el director general de Prisiones, Juan Ramón de la Cruz, quién explicó que la mayorÃ*a de los vÃ*ctimas murieron quemadas a causa del incendio.

Mientras, el jefe de la PolicÃ*a Nacional, Manuel de Jesús Pérez, dijo a la televisión local que unos 150 reclusos estaban en el pabellón donde ocurrió el incendio, y que la cifra de muertos podrÃ*a aumentar.

Pérez aseguró que los reclusos incendiaron colchones utilizando como combustible un insecticida.

El motÃ*n se inició esta madrugada tras un enfrentamiento entre bandas rivales de presos, que se disputaban el control del penal.

"Hasta el momento hemos podido comprobar la existencia de unos 25 reclusos que resultaron con heridas de bala y arma blanca, además de varios con quemaduras y sÃ*ntomas de asfixia, algunos de ellos de gravedad", agregó De la Cruz.

El funcionario dijo que aún desconoce el número exacto de los reclusos que habÃ*a en la cárcel, y tampoco puede precisar la identificación de alguno de los muertos.

Enfrentamiento entre bandas

Los incidentes en la prisión de Higüey se iniciaron en el pabellón 'Vietnam' del recinto cuando uno de los reclusos disparó repetidas veces contra un grupo de presos pertenecientes a una banda rival, precisó De la Cruz.

"La PolicÃ*a intervino y sofocó el enfrentamiento y trasladó los heridos al hospital público de Higüey, pero luego de esto se produjo otro enfrentamiento tras el cual se produjo un incendio en el pabellón", señaló.

De la Cruz añadió que los reclusos colocaron barreras a los candados del pabellón, lo que obligó a los agentes policiales a romper un barrote de una ventana por donde sacaron con vida a unos 20 reclusos.

Por su parte, el procurador dominicano, Francisco DomÃ*nguez, calificó de "lamentable" lo ocurrido, y dijo que en estos momentos las autoridades trabajan en ofrecer información a los familiares de las vÃ*ctimas.

"Todas las instancias públicas de Higüey, además de sectores privados están apoyando las labores de rescate, identificación y atención a los heridos de este caso tan doloroso", dijo el funcionario a un canal de televisión local.

el_papi_chew_low
03-07-2005, 04:00 PM
Well that's one way to curb recidivism!!!!

WSJ3
03-07-2005, 04:01 PM
And the hits just keep on coming.

El Drunko
03-07-2005, 04:06 PM
OK, what does it say?

WSJ3
03-07-2005, 04:11 PM
Hot off the presses from freetranslation dot com.

SURVEY SAYS:

He/she began after a confrontation among bands rivals

At least 133 people have died in the course of a mutiny in the prison of Higüey, about 145 kilometers to Sacred Domingo's east. The mutiny began the dawn of this Monday after a confrontation among bands rivals of prisoners, the spokesman of the National Police of the Dominican Republic specified.

Police troops were able to suffocate the confrontation, but soon after some prisoners rioted and they provoked a fire in one of the pavilions of the prison that housed about 400 criminals.

"We have taken out all the cadavers that there was in the set on fire pavilion, and the figure of deads belongs to 133 people", the general director of Prisons, Juan pointed out Ramón of Cruz, who explained that most of the victims died

el_papi_chew_low
03-07-2005, 04:12 PM
OK, what does it say?

It means you got more than just the bootie bandit to worry about in Dominican prisons.

WSJ3
03-07-2005, 04:13 PM
OK its not perfect but you get the jist.

Ram
03-07-2005, 04:19 PM
CNN has a bit about it.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americas/03/07/dominican.prison.ap/index.html

el_papi_chew_low
03-07-2005, 04:32 PM
CNN has a bit about it.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americas/03/07/dominican.prison.ap/index.html

Big deal!!! Same thing happens in US prisons. In Brazil, bandits break into the prisons to rob the inmates.

fox mulder
03-07-2005, 04:59 PM
This is very sad and one more reason why no one want to go to jail in paradise.

el_papi_chew_low
03-07-2005, 05:01 PM
This is very sad and one more reason why no one want to go to jail in paradise.

All jokes aside, it was a fucked up and sad occurence.

D_W_
03-07-2005, 05:24 PM
Fucked up but typical of a poor infrastructure.

Latin American Jails put Gulags to shame.

knotty
03-07-2005, 06:39 PM
WSJ, thanks for the translation. I thought I had to go to a translator site.

That's why I do not wanna step foot in a prison again. Spent a few hours in a cell as a young knucklehead. Never again. I couldn't imagine being in jail in a foreign country. Fuck that.

Reel Deal
03-07-2005, 06:48 PM
Another reason to NOT FUCK UP in the DR...

"Mr. Hand, drugs are bad...."

Gladiator
03-07-2005, 06:50 PM
I remember 1 or 2 years ago there was a similar revolt in a prison in Honduras, when a lot of prisoners joined forces to kill all the members of one of the gangs that controlled the prison, it ended up with a bloodshed that lasted several hours and a final balance of dozens of dead.

Apparently the police didn’t take any action and just left them to kill each other for hours because they lacked resources to stop them – that was at least the official version.

Reel Deal
03-07-2005, 06:55 PM
Apparently the police didn’t take any action and just left them to kill each other for hours because they lacked resources to stop them – that was at least the official version.Fewer mouths to feed. And the herd gets culled.

Remember Attica? At least in the DR, the good guys don't get killed...

WSJ3
03-07-2005, 08:03 PM

That's why I do not wanna step foot in a prison again. Spent a few hours in a cell as a young knucklehead. Never again. I couldn't imagine being in jail in a foreign country. Fuck that.

True dat bruh

You don't want to go to jail in DR...they will stick all kinds of Midnight Express shit up your ass.

Just imagine OZ on crack.

BROOKLYN_357
03-07-2005, 10:06 PM

yeah, spafford and rikers was enough for me...

psriches
03-07-2005, 10:24 PM

yeah, spafford and rikers was enough for me...Damn! Spofford and Rikers? You completed the local circuit.. :wink:

psriches
03-07-2005, 10:28 PM

That's why I do not wanna step foot in a prison again. Spent a few hours in a cell as a young knucklehead. Never again. I couldn't imagine being in jail in a foreign country. Fuck that.There were four Americans covicted of drug traficking also killed..

knotty
03-08-2005, 08:21 AM

yeah, spafford and rikers was enough for me...Damn! Spofford and Rikers? You completed the local circuit.. :wink:

Sounds like you were on your way up to upstate, buddy. Brooklyn House was enough for me.

knotty
03-08-2005, 08:23 AM

That's why I do not wanna step foot in a prison again. Spent a few hours in a cell as a young knucklehead. Never again. I couldn't imagine being in jail in a foreign country. Fuck that.There were four Americans covicted of drug traficking also killed..

DAMNNN!!!! See, leave all my bad habits in nyc. Stay on my best behavior down there.

WSJ3
03-08-2005, 12:24 PM

I live right down the street from Spofford.

knotty
03-08-2005, 06:35 PM
got more detailed information about this situation. I notice this week DR is stay on the news.

Today's Daily News.

At least 134 prisoners were killed yesterday when gangs battling over the drug trade in a crowded, vermin-infested prison set bedding ablaze and blocked the entrance to their cellblock.

Some inmates died in a stampede to escape after guards forced open the jammed door in the cellblock known as Vietnam. Others died from smoke.

"It's an incredible, made thing," said chief firefighter Nestor Vera. Bodies were "piled on top of eatch other."

One of the few inmates to escape, Alexander Sanchez, said police fired tear gas before the fire began. "When they finally opened the door, we all tried to get out but we didn't make it; some got trampled to death," said Sanchez.

Only 26 prisoners were rescued from the jail on the eastern tip of the island, said National Police Chief Manuel de Jesus Perez Sanchez.

"It is hell on Earth. It is unfit for human beings," said Domingo Porfino Rojas-Nina, of the Dominican National Human Rights Commision, about the prison.

The violence began when one inmate shot and wounded another Sunday night and members of three gangs began fighting for control of drugs and cigarettes, said the national prison director, Gen. Ramon de la Cruz Martinez.

Guards broke up the fight, but early yesterday, prisoners began rioting.

psriches
03-08-2005, 08:43 PM

I live right down the street from Spofford.Hmmmm!! Can anyone say, "HUNTS POINT"!!

WSJ3
03-09-2005, 08:40 AM
I like to keep my finger (EL MANO DEL DIABLO) on the SW in the area.

LOL.