PDA

View Full Version : Marranzini on electricity sector

NewsWhore
02-25-2010, 02:20 PM
In an address to business representatives in Santiago, Celso Marranzini, the executive vice president of the State Electricity Company (CDEEE) said that the system can no longer withstand all the theft and cheating. He said the electricity sector has endured 40 years of shamelessness and solutions need to be found now. He said that it must be understood that the CDEE is not a political bounty for whoever wants to become President. He spoke of the difficulties he has had to confront in his efforts to run the operation efficiently.
Marrazini said it is shameful that the DR has one of the most backward electricity systems in the world.
Marranzini said that when he began his term in August 2009, the CDEEE was 6 months behind in payments to the generators. "I am criticized because I tell the truth. I did not come to this sector to tell lies. I do not want to be a councilor, deputy or senator, let alone the President of the Republic."
He said that of the US$123 million dollars in arrears, 50 million have already been paid, and that the rest would be paid next week.
Marranzini said that the CDEEE 2010-2015 Action Plan involves installing 1,000 megawatts and starting to apply the technical rates that reflect the real cost of fuels.
He said it is a great challenge to unite wills and reach agreements with politicians, civil society and churches in an electricity sector that loses 3 billion dollars a year, one billion for subsidies and 2 billion for inefficiencies.
According to Marranzini, he has been victim of cruel attacks in recent weeks, but he knew these were coming. He also said that it is not his fault that the CDEEE's money goes into a "black hole". He said that the amount of subsidies the CDEEE receives is shameful because it is money that could be better used for education and building roads.
Marranzini was speaking during a luncheon meeting sponsored by Cibao business organizations.
The business leaders said they did not want subsidies, but an efficient service.
"We define as efficient, a system that enables most Dominicans to pay fair prices for the service", said Aquiles Bermudez, president of the industrial free zone in Santiago, who served as spokesmen for the business groups.
Marranzini told the business leaders that the CDEEE would take out a US$70 million loan with the Popular, Leon and Citibank banks to pay the arrears with generators for 2009 and meet commitments signed with the International Monetary Fund.
Marranzini said: "It is possible to have an efficient electricity system."

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#2)