PDA

View Full Version : Signing a lease in the DR

fox mulder
03-08-2005, 11:19 AM
I believe that this is important as very soon many of us will be moving out here. I have found a house that I really like and I think that the price that I am being offered is reasonable. It is a Large 4 bedroom house, 3 bathrooms, a large living are and a seperate dinning area with a full kitchen fully equiped. The owner has allowed me to use his furniture (which is very nice for about 2 months) before I furnish the house.
But I have a question.
I have been offered to sign the lease in pesos or in dollars. Should I sign the lease in pesos or in dollars?
And what are the other things that I should look out for?

BrooklynBeas
03-08-2005, 11:23 AM
I believe that this is important as very soon many of us will be moving out here. I have found a house that I really like and I think that the price that I am being offered is reasonable. It is a Large 4 bedroom house, 3 bathrooms, a large living are and a seperate dinning area with a full kitchen fully equiped. The owner has allowed me to use his furniture (which is very nice for about 2 months) before I furnish the house.
But I have a question.
I have been offered to sign the lease in pesos or in dollars. Should I sign the lease in pesos or in dollars?

Does the guy have a right to change the amount you pay if the peso to dollar ratio changes? Cause i dont think the peso can go much lower then it is right now... if it shoots up to 35 to 1 you will be paying less...

D_W_
03-08-2005, 11:24 AM
But I have a question.

Get a lawyer...then get another lawyer. Don't sign anything in a foreign country (especially latin american) without some serious investigations.

Paper ain't worth shit with all the corruption in DR.

fox mulder
03-08-2005, 11:25 AM
Once the contract has been signed I do not think that he can change any of the terms.

BrooklynBeas
03-08-2005, 11:27 AM
who knows if the guy you are paying rent to even owns the property... Make sure you get a good lawyer that someone you know (non dominican) has recommended and done a lot of business with...

D_W_
03-08-2005, 11:30 AM
Very very good point. Shit, Dominicans sell property they don't even own.

I won't sign shit...I won't give anybody anything up front in those countries.

Reel Deal
03-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Fabio Guzman is an attorney in the DR with a reputation of being fair and honest (he's on DR1.com). He has an office in Sosua, I recall. I would seek counsel before committing to anything. A title search may be in order.

el_papi_chew_low
03-08-2005, 11:52 AM
But I have a question.

You're seriously asking folks on a hooker chasing website about financial advise? I'm sure we have a lot of great minds on here, but perhaps you should seek professional advise.

BrooklynBeas
03-08-2005, 12:50 PM
But I have a question.

You're seriously asking folks on a hooker chasing website about financial advise? I'm sure we have a lot of great minds on here, but perhaps you should seek professional advise.

We have recommended to consult an attorney but i think he is trying to find out our past experiences if any in the country just like any other topic

Black Ghost
03-08-2005, 12:54 PM
But I have a question.

And whats wrong with THAT! :twisted:

If you think about it were only pussy oriented, so you know were not trying to get in your pockets..

Unless We Own A stake in a certian Hotel..And you ask us were to stay :twisted:

(Clearing my throat)...Palace....(Clearing My throat)

el_papi_chew_low
03-08-2005, 01:36 PM
But I have a question.

We have recommended to consult an attorney but i think he is trying to find out our past experiences if any in the country just like any other topic

Glad you recommended an attorney. Nothing wrong with soliciting information via comments made on the internet by various posters, but its probably best to seek professional assistance when you are making serious business deals.

el_papi_chew_low
03-08-2005, 01:46 PM
But I have a question.

And whats wrong with THAT! :twisted:

If you think about it were only pussy oriented, so you know were not trying to get in your pockets..

Unless We Own A stake in a certian Hotel..And you ask us were to stay :twisted:

(Clearing my throat)...Palace....(Clearing My throat)

Nothing wrong with it. I think its good to research different sources. Some of the responses raised good questions other were conjecture and speculation, but all good. In the final analysis, its probably good to seek that professional help. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D_W_
03-08-2005, 02:25 PM
Glad you recommended an attorney. Nothing wrong with soliciting information via comments made on the internet by various posters, but its probably best to seek professional assistance when you are making serious business deals.

And that's exactly what we did...recommended legal assistance.

I'd like to think we're a little classier than WSG.

JDR
03-08-2005, 03:31 PM
Once the contract has been signed I do not think that he can change any of the terms.

Are you a citizan there? If not you have no rights at all.

JDR
03-08-2005, 03:32 PM
who knows if the guy you are paying rent to even owns the property... Make sure you get a good lawyer that someone you know (non dominican) has recommended and done a lot of business with...

Use my novias uncle. He is very good.

JDR
03-08-2005, 03:34 PM
But I have a question.

Are you moving there? If its his furniture and stuff you don't need a lease. You can get on a plane and just leave.

JDR
03-08-2005, 03:37 PM
But I have a question.

That is a very fucked up remark really. We as a group know more of the inner workings of that country then most Dominicans. Thats not finanicial advice anyway. Dominicans get ripped off as much as non Dominicans. I have spent 8 years in and out of here. Did I say thats a fucked up remark.

el_papi_chew_low
03-08-2005, 04:11 PM
We as a group know more of the inner workings of that country then most Dominicans.

Well, I didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers. I read the responses and didn't see anything really posted beyond conjecture and speculation. I was merely suggesting that he supplement whatever information he gets from sites like this one with assistance from professionals who specialize in that area. :D

JDR
03-08-2005, 04:25 PM
We as a group know more of the inner workings of that country then most Dominicans.

Well, I didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers. I read the responses and didn't see anything really posted beyond conjecture and speculation. I was merely suggesting that he supplement whatever information he gets from sites like this one with assistance from professionals who specialize in that area. :D

What made me mad was,

1 - I bought land
2 - I used a lawyer
3 - I am building a house as we speak
4 - I have a rental apt and we have a signed lease
5 - Some here have business' set up in Sosua
6 - A few have flown in and know a thing about that
7 - We know a thing or two besides mongering

I am done bitching! :D

el_papi_chew_low
03-08-2005, 04:30 PM

What made me mad was,

1 - I bought land
2 - I used a lawyer

OK Jimmy, like I said - I know we have some great minds that post on this site and many well rounded individuals. YOU WIN!!!! :D

JDR
03-08-2005, 04:37 PM

What made me mad was,

1 - I bought land
2 - I used a lawyer

OK Jimmy, like I said - I know we have some great minds that post on this site and many well rounded individuals. YOU WIN!!!! :D

No winners. I posted this as you were e mailing me. They crossed in the mail. EVERYTHING IS COOL! :D

Apos
03-08-2005, 05:57 PM
Fabio Guzman is an attorney in the DR with a reputation of being fair and honest (he's on DR1.com). He has an office in Sosua, I recall. I would seek counsel before committing to anything. A title search may be in order.

he has an outstanding rep. JDR also has another local lawyer to consider. Ask him if interested.

JDR
03-08-2005, 06:12 PM

he has an outstanding rep. JDR also has another local lawyer to consider. Ask him if interested.

I think he pays to be on DR1 and there are no other lawyers paying as of yet.

Apos
03-08-2005, 06:35 PM

I think he pays to be on DR1 and there are no other lawyers paying as of yet.

i imagine he does pay, no free ads there, but his rep is very good none the less. I would also get a 2nd opinion, it's always smart.

tampabukkake
03-08-2005, 08:11 PM
My advise, get a lawyer!

But if your income is derived in Pesos (such as a Peso Account in a DR bank earning interest) then pay in pesos.

If your income is derived in dollars than pay in dollars.

fox mulder
03-08-2005, 11:35 PM
Thanks guys. I really appreciate all the imput I will get a lawyer. I asked because I really believe that some of us have been around the DR scene for a while, have signed leases and own business in the DR. I really appreciate it. I have already gotten in touch with Guzman for some other stuff and will call him about the lease.