PDA

View Full Version : Rockys on a budget

I give nothing to I.S.O.C.
03-24-2010, 08:29 AM
Ok fellas..this is my second trip to Sosua. This time I need advice to really be economical. Do they sell the cheap styro-foam coolers at the colmada near Rockys or the main grocery store on the highway? And would you advise me to buy 12 packs of beer, water, and sodas in the room in this cooler? Is ice cheap and easy to find, and how much. Is this better than going to bars each time I get thirsty? Rockys food is excellent and kind of reasonable, but I want any recommendations on dirt cheap places to eat within walking distance. Are snacks at the grocery store reasonable,

Basically I need a budget trip for Rockys survival list..lol..
And prices would help a lot if you know them

husl2001
03-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Ok fellas..this is my second trip to Sosua. This time I need advice to really be economical. Do they sell the cheap styro-foam coolers at the colmada near Rockys or the main grocery store on the highway? And would you advise me to buy 12 packs of beer, water, and sodas in the room in this cooler? Is ice cheap and easy to find, and how much. Is this better than going to bars each time I get thirsty? Rockys food is excellent and kind of reasonable, but I want any recommendations on dirt cheap places to eat within walking distance. Are snacks at the grocery store reasonable,

I don't do super-budget trips, so take my advice accordingly. That said:

1) Store-bought beer will almost always be cheaper than what you get at a bar. Super Playero will give you the best prices within walking distance, BUT keep in mind that most bar owners will frown on you bringing your own brew to their establishment.

2) Super-cheap places to eat include the chicken stands and restaurants in Chamamicos. But note those places have food that may have been prepared in the local water or according to health standards that your system may find objectionable, so be very, very careful.

3) Super-cheap chicas are that way for a reason. And it ain't the recession. Use extreme caution, plenty of protection, your front pocket, and your in-room safe to keep from losing your valuables.

There are of course exceptions to all of the above. With respect, I'd encourage you to postpone your trip a month or two, save up some extra cash, and give yourself a respectable vacation. It's much less fun when you have to pinch every peso twice.

gdogg
03-24-2010, 10:05 AM
I like to consider myself a "frugal" individual, so I have no problem addressing this. Unless you have a family emergency in Sosua, push your trip back a couple of months. Use that time to save money so you can have basic necessities on your VACATION. There is no need to travel that far a distance to live like a bum, worrying about EVERY peso. If this is another one of these "experiments" we've been getting here lately, or I am out of line, please disregard my post.

....haven't seen styrofoam coolers for sale, but a colmado manager may give you one. Ice isn't as cheap as in the states.

gdogg
03-24-2010, 10:07 AM

1) Store-bought beer will almost always be cheaper than what you get at a bar. Super Playero will give you the best prices within walking distance, BUT keep in mind that most bar owners will frown on you bringing your own brew to their establishment.

2) Super-cheap places to eat include the chicken stands and restaurants in Chamamicos. But note those places have food that may have been prepared in the local water or according to health standards that your system may find objectionable, so be very, very careful.

3) Super-cheap chicas are that way for a reason. And it ain't the recession. Use extreme caution, plenty of protection, your front pocket, and your in-room safe to keep from losing your valuables.

There are of course exceptions to all of the above. With respect, I'd encourage you to postpone your trip a month or two, save up some extra cash, and give yourself a respectable vacation. It's much less fun when you have to pinch every penny twice.

You posted this as I was typing and debating whether to post mine. I like your response much better!!
:wink:

naptime
03-24-2010, 10:37 AM
walk out of rockys front door, turn right.

the colmado before the internet cafe, sells beer, rum, soda, and ..... ice.

i do not not if they sell styrofoam coolers or not. if they dont, i do know that super playero on the main road does.

that's what some guys do at rockys.

i borught a collapsable thermos brand cooler with me in my luggage.

each day i would walk over to the colmada and grab a 2 liter of sprite and a bottle of rum (those dont usually last till just after dinner though) a big bottle of water, orange juice, and a few presidentes.

no matter what i had a craving for, it would be there on ice, nice and cold.

i didnt bother with food. between rockys and all of the other affordable restaurants i didnt really see the need. at night, when everything is closed, i alternated between the sandwich guy across from latinos, and the chicken stands down across from europa.

i would carry my backpack around with me, and just mic my santo libres at will.

however, whenever in a bar or restaurant, i would drink thier offerings.

its not uncommon for people to walk from one bar to another while still carrying a drink, unlike here in the states.. so it wasnt uncommon for me to walk around with a homemade santo libre or a presidente either.

especially during the day when walking around exploring.

but, as mentioned above, i would go on TOO TIGHT a budget.

im all for budgeting... i'm working on trying to get down there at the end of april for a few days. and ive been sitting here looking at all the places i can shave off unneeded expenses... like takin carib tours from sti instead of private taxi. eating more normal meals instead of goign for ribs and steak for every other meal. and perhaps 1 chica a day instead of 3 or 4. :rofl:

but even then.. i dont think i could comfortably ENJOY my trip on less than 200 a day.

my breakdown.

25 hotel
50 meals and drinks
100 chicas
25 various crap.. ie: tips, motoconcho's, carib tours, etc...

im figuring thats about an average amount.

on this last trip i averaged 300 a day. but it was my birthday trip i did NOT want to worry about a single peso, let alone worrying about every peso.

03-24-2010, 11:25 AM

[YELLOW]

There are of course exceptions to all of the above. With respect, I'd encourage you to postpone your trip a month or two, save up some extra cash, and give yourself a respectable vacation. It's much less fun when you have to pinch every peso twice.

THANKS, AND DAMN, I DIDNT THINK ABOUT THAT....WOW! THE CHEAPER PLACES MAY USE REGULAR WATER? SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT.....

03-24-2010, 11:34 AM
walk out of rockys front door, turn right.

the colmado before the internet cafe, sells beer, rum, soda, and ..... ice.

i do not not if they sell styrofoam coolers or not. if they dont, i do know that super playero on the main road does.

that's what some guys do at rockys.

i borught a collapsable thermos brand cooler with me in my luggage.

each day i would walk over to the colmada and grab a 2 liter of sprite and a bottle of rum (those dont usually last till just after dinner though) a big bottle of water, orange juice, and a few presidentes.

no matter what i had a craving for, it would be there on ice, nice and cold.

i didnt bother with food. between rockys and all of the other affordable restaurants i didnt really see the need. at night, when everything is closed, i alternated between the sandwich guy across from latinos, and the chicken stands down across from europa.

i would carry my backpack around with me, and just mic my santo libres at will.

however, whenever in a bar or restaurant, i would drink thier offerings.

its not uncommon for people to walk from one bar to another while still carrying a drink, unlike here in the states.. so it wasnt uncommon for me to walk around with a homemade santo libre or a presidente either.

especially during the day when walking around exploring.

but, as mentioned above, i would go on TOO TIGHT a budget.

im all for budgeting... i'm working on trying to get down there at the end of april for a few days. and ive been sitting here looking at all the places i can shave off unneeded expenses... like takin carib tours from sti instead of private taxi. eating more normal meals instead of goign for ribs and steak for every other meal. and perhaps 1 chica a day instead of 3 or 4. :rofl:

but even then.. i dont think i could comfortably ENJOY my trip on less than 200 a day.

my breakdown.

25 hotel
50 meals and drinks
100 chicas
25 various crap.. ie: tips, motoconcho's, carib tours, etc...

im figuring thats about an average amount.

on this last trip i averaged 300 a day. but it was my birthday trip i did NOT want to worry about a single peso, let alone worrying about every peso.

YOU ARE A FREAKIN DRINKER!!!!! GREAT ADVICE

I DONT REALLY DRINK, A COLLAPSABLE COOLER, GOOD, I WILL DO THAT!

i WONT SPEND MUCH ON CHICAS BECAUSE I HAVE A CONTRACT ON ONE CHICA FOR 1500 EACH DAY ALLDAY

I WONDER IF THEY SELL LUNCHABLES THERE?

WHEN I GO, i GURANTEE I WILL BEAT YOUR BUDGET AND JUST FOR THIS HELPFUL INFO, I WILL PRINT OUT MY BUDGET AFTER I ACCOMPLISH IT

aND i COULD GO CHEAPER BUT THE ROCKYS RIBS GOT ME ADDICTED

03-24-2010, 11:44 AM
I like to consider myself a "frugal" individual, so I have no problem addressing this. Unless you have a family emergency in Sosua, push your trip back a couple of months. Use that time to save money so you can have basic necessities on your VACATION. There is no need to travel that far a distance to live like a bum, worrying about EVERY peso. If this is another one of these "experiments" we've been getting here lately, or I am out of line, please disregard my post.

....haven't seen styrofoam coolers for sale, but a colmado manager may give you one. Ice isn't as cheap as in the states.

i HAVE MORE THAN ENOUGH MONRY, i JUST WANT TO STAY HAVING MORE THAN ENOUGH MONEY,,, CATCH MY DRIFT? AND NOT SPENDING ALOT IS THE KEY

Jimmydr
03-24-2010, 12:30 PM
YOU ARE A FREAKIN DRINKER!!!!! GREAT ADVICE

I WONDER IF THEY SELL LUNCHABLES THERE?

You can buy that in the super markets.

Jimmydr
03-24-2010, 12:35 PM

I have to find a place to stay that feels like home. I like to pay $40 - $60 to get that place. I won't stay in something that is crap.

Apos
03-24-2010, 04:46 PM
Ok fellas..this is my second trip to Sosua. This time I need advice to really be economical. Do they sell the cheap styro-foam coolers at the colmado near Rockys or the main grocery store on the highway? And would you advise me to buy 12 packs of beer, water, and sodas in the room in this cooler? Is ice cheap and easy to find, and how much. Is this better than going to bars each time I get thirsty? Rockys food is excellent and kind of reasonable, but I want any recommendations on dirt cheap places to eat within walking distance. Are snacks at the grocery store reasonable,

A few thoughts as a frugal guy living in Sosua:

1. Ice is 30 pesos for a large bag at Carmen's colmado to the right as you exit Rocky's.

2. Styrofoam coolers are available, usually, at the big Playero on the highway but it might be best to invest in a more durable, larger, collapsable cooler before you leave a la naptime :D

3. Cold-cuts, cheese, buns, mustard, fruit, etc...are available, cheap, at many colmados and all the supermarkets.

4. Street food such as the chicken stands and sandwich places can be very inexpensive places to eat. I find them to be great value and offer very safe and tasty food. Remember, deep fried food and anything involving boiling water should be perfectly safe. Most places, if not all, are safe to eat including salads as their business would close due to a lack of customers if people were getting sick from their food. Dominicans are very clean people and luv their salad!

Mr Hillbilly
03-24-2010, 05:57 PM
Yea I am a drinker.I hang out at the beach alot.would rather drink out of a mud puddle than drink a warm beer.Take a soft cooler with you in your suitcase get them in cooler section I have a couple depends which size and where I am going.Fit my waterproof camera in the one of the pockets then use luggage locks and a bike cable on the cooler if I go into the water.especially in Sosua service is really slow in a beach chair.Usually fit a case of beer and bag of ice in it.I can't say I save any money though after all my friends that laugh cause I bring my own cooler then mooch beers all day! The case of beer is for me and chics not them.lol

mikelodge
03-24-2010, 06:10 PM

1. Ice is 30 pesos for a large bag at Carmen's colmado to the right as you exit Rocky's.

2. Styrofoam coolers are available, usually, at the big Playero on the highway but it might be best to invest in a more durable, larger, collapsable cooler before you leave a la naptime :D

3. Cold-cuts, cheese, buns, mustard, fruit, etc...are available, cheap, at many colmados and all the supermarkets.

4. Street food such as the chicken stands and sandwich places can be very inexpensive places to eat. I find them to be great value and offer very safe and tasty food. Remember, deep fried food and anything involving boiling water should be perfectly safe. Most places, if not all, are safe to eat including salads as their business would close due to a lack of customers if people were getting sick from their food. Dominicans are very clean people and luv their salad!

I did a thread a while back you might want to read
If the link doesn't work use the search function for Best Market for Snacks and hit search button.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?t=210438&highlight=sosua+snacks

If you drive you can also go to La Sirena which is like Walmart in Puerto Plata for cheap foam coolers and just about everything cheap you need. Otherwise the Playero in Sosua has a nice selection.

60 Peso Grande Bohemia Beers at Simply Red restaurant will save you some money while eating.

There are some buffet nights and lunch options and you can search for that too.
Then you can pig out one time a day and save money just snacking on a appetizer maybe for one meal ect.

03-25-2010, 12:29 AM

good looking out...thanks

03-25-2010, 12:57 AM
I did a thread a while back you might want to read
If the link doesn't work use the search function for Best Market for Snacks and hit search button.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?t=210438&highlight=sosua+snacks

If you drive you can also go to La Sirena which is like Walmart in Puerto Plata for cheap foam coolers and just about everything cheap you need. Otherwise the Playero in Sosua has a nice selection.

60 Peso Grande Bohemia Beers at Simply Red restaurant will save you some money while eating.

There are some buffet nights and lunch options and you can search for that too.
Then you can pig out one time a day and save money just snacking on a appetizer maybe for one meal ect.

you are the best thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MrHappy
03-25-2010, 07:12 AM
You want cheap?

Bring a collapsible cooler. Forget about beer. Drink rum. Go to a colmado, and buy the cheapest rum they have, and mix it with Soda water in a bottle, and keep that in your cooler. Mix as needed. A cheap bottle of rum is just a few pesos.

Food? Find a Dominican restaurant. Eat yuca and guineos for breakfast. A buck will get you a good chunk. If you want to spurge, have some spaghetti or a piece of salami.

Lunch? Have a johhny cake or two on the beach, with lots of ketchup and salt. Or, eat some rice and beans without meat. Look at what the locals are eating. Or, if you want, go back and eat some more yuca and spaghetti.

Dinner is a repeat of the above.

We're talking probably less than 10 bucks a DAY (including drinks) if you do the "Dominican way" of eating and drinking.

Tell your chica you want to eat like the Dominicans do. See how long she holds on to you. That's a great "Litmus" test to see if she's really into you..

weyland
03-25-2010, 07:47 AM
If you drive you can also go to La Sirena which is like Walmart in Puerto Plata.
If he is on a budget, why would he be driving? He would go there by publico (40 pesos each way, but he would soon save that as shopping is cheaper in Puerto Plata. Tropical is cheaper than La Sirena for food and much cheaper than Playero. It lies on the publico route).

mikelodge
03-25-2010, 10:24 AM
If he is on a budget, why would he be driving? He would go there by publico (40 pesos each way, but he would soon save that as shopping is cheaper in Puerto Plata. Tropical is cheaper than La Sirena for food and much cheaper than Playero. It lies on the publico route).

Good Point but,

I figured if he might be American and has never been without a car he might have budgeted $17-$20 a day for a cheap small econo box rental car to save money on taxi fees. Some people pay $25 each way for transportation from the airport to Sosua so if he was only staying 4 or 5 days the car might not cost much more than the cabs plus moto rides.

Budget is a broad term and many people want to save nickels and dimes in some areas to have more money to spend on sex, Who knows we all roll different.

mikelodge
03-25-2010, 10:28 AM
You want cheap?

Bring a collapsible cooler. Forget about beer. Drink rum. Go to a colmado, and buy the cheapest rum they have, and mix it with Soda water in a bottle, and keep that in your cooler. Mix as needed. A cheap bottle of rum is just a few pesos.

Food? Find a Dominican restaurant. Eat yuca and guineos for breakfast. A buck will get you a good chunk. If you want to spurge, have some spaghetti or a piece of salami.

Lunch? Have a johhny cake or two on the beach, with lots of ketchup and salt. Or, eat some rice and beans without meat. Look at what the locals are eating. Or, if you want, go back and eat some more yuca and spaghetti.

Dinner is a repeat of the above.

We're talking probably less than 10 bucks a DAY (including drinks) if you do the "Dominican way" of eating and drinking.

Tell your chica you want to eat like the Dominicans do. See how long she holds on to you. That's a great "Litmus" test to see if she's really into you..

Damn that is cheap vacationing. I picture a guy shaking the ketchup bottles before choosing a table to make sure to get a full bottle. Lots of nutrition and needed calories in there. :lol:

One more tip if the spaghetti comes with bread be sure to ask for extra bread.

SeaWeed
03-25-2010, 02:58 PM
true Mike....on another site this guy was on a budget and wanted to pay no more than $150/night for a room.....lol

Mr. Smooth
03-25-2010, 04:17 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the OP asked this question on DR1 too. Once again, instead of smartass answers from know-it-alls on DR1, better advice is given on this board. I'm a member over there as well, but I post way more on this board. Better class of folks in this neighborhood. And if a poster here bust someones balls with their answer, it usually is done with a wink and a smile.

mikelodge
03-25-2010, 04:48 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the OP asked this question on DR1 too. Once again, instead of smartass answers from know-it-alls on DR1, better advice is given on this board. I'm a member over there as well, but I post way more on this board. Better class of folks in this neighborhood. And if a poster here bust someones balls with their answer, it usually is done with a wink and a smile.

Yah they are quick to blast some questions over there. They have some useful facts and answers for some people who ask the right way but they aren't much fun.

I don't even think they have a section for Stupid and Crazy thoughts which many won't admit it but I feel sorry for people that don't get a few thoughts like that once in awhile. It can keep you sane.

As far as the OP and others that have asked budget questions including myself I think it is great that this board always offers a variety of answers.

mikelodge
03-25-2010, 04:55 PM
true Mike....on another site this guy was on a budget and wanted to pay no more than $150/night for a room.....lol

Great point - I can also recall some people saying $50 a day for drinks and $25 a day for meals and $200 a day for sex and remember thinking he his drinking priority in order and then some.

But $200 every day for sex damn that's is either alot of different women a day or somebody is paying way too much. :lol:

Seville
03-31-2010, 04:25 PM
It would seem to me that $170 a day would be fine, unless you are doing 3 or 4 chicas a day. I find I usually only eat two meals a day when there. Room with breakfast for $50 takes care of one meal. And I love the chicken stands and small Dominican food spots, $6 - $10 for my other meal & snacks of the day. That leaves @ $110 for liquid refreshment and chicas. While I like to have a few and get a good buzz on I am not big hardcore drinker. Will also bring a bottle of tequila with me. Probably no more than $25 a day there, even buying a few for the chicas. That should leave around $80 a day for chicas. Considering the gifts and things I am biringing for "barter" I can easily have two chicas a day and that works for me. Guess it all depends on your tastes and lifestyle.