PDA

View Full Version : Exploitation hasn't begun at gold mine

NewsWhore
03-25-2010, 05:10 PM
Spokesmen for Barrick Gold, the Canadian mining company undertaking exploitation of world class gold and other mineral deposits in Sanchez Ramirez province, say that once exploitation finishes the area will be inhabitable, as reported in Diario Libre. Exploitation of gold, silver and copper deposits in the area could last 25 years. Augusto Chung, manager at the Pueblo Viejo Dominican Corporation (PVD) said that the plant occupies an area of approximately 13 hectares, and 99% of the area that will not be exploited has been remedied. He says that the company operates under Canadian and international environment parameters that are more demanding than those in the DR.
Fernando Sanchez, general manager, said that as part of the process of decontamination procedures, the Rosario Dominicana building was totaled and rubbles were classified according to levels of toxicity. Contaminated wastes that could not be recycled were taken to special deposits in the US, he said. He says that they are taking on responsibility for contamination in the area of the mine, but what is outside their area is responsibility of the government. He estimates the cost of the resolving of the contamination is US$75 million of which they are contributing US$35 million. He said they will discount the half of the government in the decontamination works from the government's benefits of the mine operation.
Sanchez said that construction works for the mine are 20% advanced.
He denied reports that workers were affected by gas intoxication. "We are not yet exploiting the mine, and thus we cannot generate contamination and much less are we operating a boiler, so we cannot generate gasses," he told Diario Libre.
Furthermore, he denied the mine operation would contaminate Hatillo Dam, which the contract signed with the state allows them full use of, according to the newspaper.
The managers say that 3,400 employees of which 87% are Dominicans.

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#9)