PDA

View Full Version : My Opinion of Customs & Payoffs

Don Tomas
04-21-2004, 09:08 AM
I am from Chicago where nothing gets done without a little grease.

Personally I would just rather pay $10US and walk through like VIP, you do it at a club, restaurant, etc. and besides after some 6+ hours in airports I don't feel like waiting for customs.

Jimmydr
04-21-2004, 09:10 AM
I am from Chicago where nothing gets done without a little grease.

Personally I would just rather pay $10US and walk through like VIP, you do it at a club, restaurant, etc. and besides after some 6+ hours in airports I don't feel like waiting for customs.

Very good point, but if some of us pay then they will expect all of us to pay?

nomad
04-21-2004, 09:48 AM
xxxx

El Tiburon
04-21-2004, 10:54 AM
Thats like those who give into whores outrageous prices!!! Now we will have to worry about payouts at customs being normal. JUST SAY I DON'T UNDERSTAND and hold your ground. Damn guys have some balls man!

Travelfox

Don Tomas
04-21-2004, 08:47 PM
Thats like those who give into whores outrageous prices!!! Now we will have to worry about payouts at customs being normal. JUST SAY I DON'T UNDERSTAND and hold your ground. Damn guys have some balls man!

How do you say you don't understand "Give me 10 dollars" said in English. Of course I played dumb when they first asked if I spoke Spanish. Just the fact I walked right through after slipping him $10 I figure it's easier that way.

Don Tomas
04-21-2004, 08:48 PM
An airport is not CROBAR.

Memories...

nomad
04-21-2004, 09:49 PM
xxxx

El Tiburon
04-22-2004, 02:31 AM
They said it to me in English and I kept repeating "don't understand" and it worked. What are they going to arrest you for enterning the country? Please... They are looking for those like you who are scared and are going to break down. In my opinion the only way to start a trip to the DR is to HOLD YOUR GROUND starting at customs. You start giving in they will start making shit rougher for all of us. HOLD YOUR GROUND. Play stupid even if they are fluent in English, be fluent in DON'T UNDERSTAND. Comprende?

Travelfox

nomad
04-22-2004, 12:20 PM
xxxx

Mister NYC
04-22-2004, 01:24 PM
Tell em to get the fuck out of your face with that shit. You're not there relative, or novio, or western union buddy!!!

Fuck 'm

Gutter Meat
04-27-2004, 02:13 AM
I have to agree with misternyc,
What happens is you think they are going to search your bags. Then they make as if they won't search your bags but they want a pay off for this favor of not searching your bags. I just put my bag up on the counter and tell them to search. After about 1 minute they relize you ain't givining them shit and they will just let you go. In Santiago airport they use the same system as when i went to cancun Mexico.You push a button if its green you go ,red your luggage gets checked. But in santiago they don't open it up.THey just run it through a scanner.

Vincent Vega
04-27-2004, 04:21 PM
If you are carrying contraband, like several cell phones, or expensive looking gifts, you might be better off to pay the bribe. It might be hard to explain to customs that the 10 bottles of perfume you are carrying only cost you a dollar apiece.

Jimmydr
04-27-2004, 09:28 PM
They tried to steal my batteries but couldn't find them.

Train Kept a Rollin2000
05-12-2004, 09:49 AM
I was shook down by customs at POP on my last trip there. I posted my experience on Jimmy's Yahoo board but I'll do it again here. When I got my bag off the carousel a porter came over to help. I normally don't even check baggage but on this trip I brought a lot of presents for people and I had a few bags. Anyway, he helps me carry my bags and we are headed for the far left of the line of customs stations. All of a sudden a man calls my porter over to the far right, to a particular customs station. When I get there, three customs agents surround me and ask where I'm from and where I'm going. I tell them I'm American and going to Sosua. They then tell me I have to give US$20 to pass and they tell the porter to put my bag on the counter. I try to do some quick calculation in my head - I have lots of lipstick, make-up, batteries, flashlights, and some leatherman type tools in my bags and they are brand new in the original packages. I'm thinking that if they do open my bags that it they will steal some of the things I have brought for my friends down there, or they will charge me more then $20 in some phoney "import tax" scheme. So, I pay the guy $20. He couldn't even look me in the face!!!

As soon as I pay the one guy then the others stand aside and let me pass. Right after that, my porter says he wants US$20 also!!! I get to the parking lot and see my friends who help me with my luggage. I gave the porter 10 pesos, he looks a little surprised but he didn't say anything.

Later on that day, I'm hanging at the Shark Bar and I see the same customs agent. Idon't want to make a scene in front of the Shark Bar so I follow the guy down the beach and see him go into another place. When I get inside he is gone. He either saw me follow him or I just plain lost him.

Anyway, I paid the money because I thought I would get into some trouble, or pay more than US$20, for presents I brought with me. It was a quick decision I had ot make but upon more reflection I don't think I would do it again. And I certainly wouldn't pay anything if I didn't have any presents in my bags.

Jimmydr
05-12-2004, 09:54 AM
Tell these clowns to search your bags. They won't because that would be work and many of them are too lazy.

Do not PAY!!!!!

Gutter Meat
05-12-2004, 10:44 AM
Guys trust me nothing will happen to you if you don't pay!! I've gone through Customs at POP about 7 times now & I've never paid a cent. I put my bag up and tell them to search. The last time the guy just felt the outside of the bag. They are way too lazy to search it. After about 2 minutes they will just give up on you and you will be on your way.

Jimmydr
05-12-2004, 10:46 AM
Guys trust me nothing will happen to you if you don't pay!! I've gone through Customs at POP about 7 times now & I've never paid a cent. I put my bag up and tell them to search. The last time the guy just felt the outside of the bag. They are way too lazy to search it. After about 2 minutes they will just give up on you and you will be on your way.

Its all over soon. There will be a new President in a few days and half these guys will be replaced!

05-12-2004, 04:16 PM
Do not PAY!!!!!

I certainly won't anymore. I was even thinking of taking a picture of the next customs agent in the DR to try to shake me down. Does anyone have any thoughts on this (I can speculate like everyone else about what might happen but I'm looking for a well-educated guess from someone who miught be more familiar with the way things work down there).

TropicBob
05-13-2004, 03:55 AM
Just keep walking past porters, smile, nod and affirmatively walk out to the taxi. Worked in January when I didn't know this practice had begun.

RearWindow
05-13-2004, 08:22 PM
Make them search the bag if they are so interested in it. As long as you are not bringing a carton of perfume or the such into the RD ,which you would have to declare anyway, no hay problema. I have yet to have a problem incoming, although on my second trip outbound, the "drug" guys gave me the two man questioning. How much money? blah blah..ask for Id's and if they talk too fast, be a dummy. They don't want to spend a half hour trying to shake down a stupid tourist for 10 US.

If they ask for your passport , make sure you can see it at all times,and get it back as quickly as possible. NEVER let that go anywhere without you.

Jthomas
05-20-2004, 07:06 PM
I went through this time with no problems what so ever. Took my bag and walked right through. Head for the short line that has the women working, so far so good.

DominicanRay
05-23-2004, 01:43 PM
Fellas,

If you find yourself victim to this problem, you must contact the State Department to lodge a complaint. If enough complaints are lodged, something will be done. When Leonel was in office the last time, he had a strict policy preventing such shakedowns.

Believe or not, airport security staff shakes down returning Dominicans also. The only thing that will stop this nonsense is to file official complaints to the State Departmnet.

http://contact-us.state.gov/

Click on the section in the middle of the page "Send Message to the Secretary of State".

the_Jayman
05-23-2004, 10:00 PM
Yeah, but what about us guys who are 40 sumthin year old white boys with a mortgage and an alimony payment along with the child support payments and the biggest freakin feme-nazi-ex-wife on the freakin planet and are freakin about the thought of some low life dominican muther-fucker puttin a friggin joint in his bag and then getting ME featured on the 6 o’clock news in NY?

Paranoid? Bet your freakin ass ! !

IT AIN'T WORTH THE 5 or 10 BUCKS MAN.

IT AIN'T ! !

I sincerely apologize for the added expense to your trip and I will be more then happy to refund any money I may have cost you at the airport. Track me down. REALLY ! I plan on being at the Palace Bar at least 3 times a year for the foreseeable future.

Gutter Meat
05-25-2004, 12:41 AM
Just got back from Sosua and for the 1st time I went went right through without a problem.

Jimmydr
05-25-2004, 08:13 AM
Just got back from Sosua and for the 1st time I went went right through without a problem.

New President, they want to keep their great jobs :D

elj707
05-25-2004, 10:37 PM
Hey gutter how's it going, ofcourse customs started their mini interrogation with me last night but when I told them I didn't speak spanish they said ok and let me go. looking forward to seeing you on the next trip. 8)

Gutter Meat
05-26-2004, 12:21 AM
Whats up El,, yeah I saw imagration asking you questions. See you on the next trip!!! This time after imagration the customs guys told me to go to the side and they opened up my bag. My luck ,I don't get haseled in DR but now back in the states they went through my stuff. I guess its for our own safty now a days

nyonthesea
05-28-2004, 04:35 PM
when i arrive POP,i get the same lazy shits doin the shakedown
and i giv them in nyc street.yo i aint no dumb tourists.im from
fuckin nyc.and lift my bag if they want a peak.but lik others hav said here,these guys are too lazy to open it......so i walk on...
but my question is what is with the BS when we leave.......the same guys looking at your ID,when you go thru the gate,and right at the airplane...they do it in a long tedious way.with no reason ..and then you show them your passport and they ask for your license...TEDIOUS.....

nybm9x5
06-13-2004, 08:47 PM
I read these posts before I left ... so when I was asked to give $5 US to the inspector not to check my bags .. I said go ahead ... and they immediately backed off. Went right through. ( I was abit relieved sice I had some expensive video equipment. I did not need to get into a hassle over. )

My advise ... act like you don't speak Spanish ( No Problem in my case. ) and let them inspect.

They backed down immediately in my case.

Dick Dawson
06-14-2004, 05:50 PM
When I went down on the 8th, they were asking a lot of stuff to me in Spanish and were motioning me to go somewhere. I kept saying in English "I have a ride already". This was while I was still inside. Someone came over and said, "Oh, you don't speak Spanish?" I said No. They said go through. Now, while down there I was told a few times that I do look Dominican so maybe that's why I had it a little easier.

When I left on Sunday, it went a little different. Just before you get to the counter, they have a place to search your bags. I put my bag up and was ready to open it when they guy said, "It's ok. No problem." I started speaking to him a little in Spanish afterwards about how I love the country and the women, etc. He appreciated that.

Now, I didn't check the bag initally as they said it was too big, but I had told them that I had brought it on the plane coming down and I believe that they use the same plane coming and going.

So when I brought the bag through the X-Ray machine they decided that they wanted to look inside. No problem. They look a couple of disposable razors that I had as they were no allowed on the plane. They guy did smile when he saw my leftover condoms but didn't take anything else.

Yea, I know I could given them a few bucks and avoided that and I spoke to a few guys while I was at BB who do but I feel that's just encouraging them to do it more.

BrooklynBeas
06-15-2004, 02:45 PM
coming in to POP they tried to get me for $20 for the tourist card but i told them i know it costs 10 .. gave them 10 and had no problem... when leaving POP there was a shitload of tourists so i told the porter i didnt want to wait ... he said no problem when i told him i would pay him some money... he brought my shit to the front of the line within 5 minutes instead of the hour or so wait that it would have taken.. i gave him 200 pesos and gave some idiot in an army uniform 200 pesos... yes it cost me about 8 bucks but that was my choice... usually the only thing i bring back with me is Barcelo alcohol and marlboro ciggs.... does anyone know exactly the amount i am allowed to take back without having any problems??? i have heard 1 carton of ciggs and i have heard 4 cartons but i usually take back around 10 cartons ... give the bag checker about 1 or 2 hundred pesos to let me go if he finds them.... thanks for the correct info in advace guys....

Jimmydr
06-15-2004, 02:48 PM
When leaving POP there was a shitload of tourists so I told the porter i didnt want to wait ... he said no problem when i told him i would pay him some money... he brought my shit to the front of the line within 5 minutes instead of the hour or so wait that it would have taken.. i gave him 200 pesos and gave some idiot in an army uniform 200 pesos... yes it cost me about 8 bucks but that was my choice...

This is different, this is a service to get you to the fron of the line and I have done it as well. It requires them to walk and thats sort of like work. :D Well worth it many times.

hughgrection
06-30-2004, 11:55 AM
coming in to POP they tried to get me for $20 for the tourist card but i told them i know it costs 10 .. gave them 10 and had no problem... when leaving POP there was a shitload of tourists so i told the porter i didnt want to wait ... he said no problem when i told him i would pay him some money... he brought my shit to the front of the line within 5 minutes instead of the hour or so wait that it would have taken.. i gave him 200 pesos and gave some idiot in an army uniform 200 pesos... yes it cost me about 8 bucks but that was my choice... usually the only thing i bring back with me is Barcelo alcohol and marlboro ciggs.... does anyone know exactly the amount i am allowed to take back without having any problems??? i have heard 1 carton of ciggs and i have heard 4 cartons but i usually take back around 10 cartons ... give the bag checker about 1 or 2 hundred pesos to let me go if he finds them.... thanks for the correct info in advace guys....

I fly AA but as an elite flyer i get to use the business class line usually empty or 1 or 2 ahead of you.

Macky
07-02-2004, 01:34 AM
Just a thought--- I wonder if the shakedowns are perpetrated on everyone, including the business type travellers in suits, the couples and families headed for the all inclusives, those sorts. Or are single male travellers more the target of choice for the customs guys? Have they decided we are fair game because they know what we are there for? Have we been labeled as less acceptable, singled out? I don't know, I'm just wondering is all. Gonna be down in a month.

BrooklynBeas
07-02-2004, 07:38 AM
most of the time i see Jimmy in DR and he threatens to search my bags so to avoid the hassle i normally buy him a country club red :P

Gutter Meat
07-22-2004, 04:52 AM
Walked right through on this trip and they didn't even look at me. It seems to be hit or miss.

elj707
07-22-2004, 08:44 PM
Hey gutter was there any new talent in sosua? 8)

nuhomet
06-20-2005, 03:08 PM
Took this Photo and two minutes later there was a problem with my Passport. They told me that someone with the same name had a canadian passport(eh????) on this flight......

http://members.cox.net/nuhomet/aaaaaa.jpg

jd_mine
06-20-2005, 03:18 PM
I saw the posters as well this trip and right underneath one they asked me for 'dinero for drinky drinky, no lookie lookie'.............
And yeah, they do single out single male travellers. They won't ask an all-inclusive family.......

Jimmydr
06-20-2005, 03:19 PM
They pulled me off the line once. I had no money so they put me back on the line.

sicpup71
06-20-2005, 03:20 PM
Took this Photo and two minutes later there was a problem with my Passport. They told me that someone with the same name had a canadian passport(eh????) on this flight......

that was you (A)

sicpup71
06-20-2005, 03:20 PM
dub. post sorry

PapiQueRico
06-20-2005, 04:08 PM
OK so $10 means they don't open your bags at customs. What are the items people bring to offset vacation costs? I met some guys who muled 50 cell phones last November. This is not what I'm looking to get involved with. That said, are there some small electronics or other items that are a profitable sell?

Jimmydr
06-20-2005, 04:12 PM
Go for a vacation and sell nothing there.

PapiQueRico
06-20-2005, 04:26 PM
Gotcha!

Bug Boy
06-20-2005, 05:13 PM
Interesting thread. I've never noticed it before.

I have never had to deal w/ any real problems at customs at SDQ, but I do believe in standing your ground, even if it means playing dumb.

----------------------------------------------------------

My most memorable and perhaps terrifying experience in the DR was last November, on my first trip to Megacentro Mall in Zona Oriental (Santo Domingo.) I was driving up Sabana Ave. that night and I knew I had to eventually turn right (go east) to eventually hit San Vincente Paul Ave. I didn't want to be late for my date, so I pull into a Texaco station about 5 blocks north of the Las Americas y Sabana intersection to ask the gas station security guard for directions.

Well, he walks over to the car and and tells me that I'm heading in the right direction. I thank him and just when I'm beginning to pull off, he asks for 30 pesos. Well, in all the gas stations that I've been to in my life, I've never had someone ask me for a tip. However, I've never had a big ass security guard holding a sawed-off shotgun ask me for money either.

Well, I had two options: (1) I could either pay him 30 pesos (and hope that he didn't ask for more after I complied) or (2) I could play dumb and drive off.

I chose option 2 and that has made all the difference.

-Helpmann 8)

Kevy
06-20-2005, 06:08 PM
I saw the signs too, but have never had any problems.

Reel Deal
06-20-2005, 06:29 PM
I got busted bringing a new (inexpensive...$60 at Sam's Club) microwave in for a wedding gift. Customs guys pulled it aside, took it into their little office, and then told me to pay them RD$1597 to bring it in.

I called them thieves, and told the airport station manager to put it back on my plane, I wasn't going to bring it into the country.

The Custom guys looked befuddled. I found out later no one had ever done that to them. Usually a "violator" either pays or leaves the item with them in Customs, confiscated.

I took it back to the states.

I knew I was wrong bringing it in, but they never stopped me bringing stuff in before. I heard after the fact that Customs is cracking down on stuff. Next time I will wrap it in religious paper (as DT suggested I do in the first place; he "told me so" :oops: ).

Apos
06-20-2005, 06:33 PM

oops that was me. i had to provide a new namwe for my fake passport and thought of you. i never imagined thaqt you used newhomet on your passport :evil: i even had a "yo quiero BBBJ" hat on :roll:

continentalmike
06-21-2005, 01:55 AM
Most memorable exp in the DR in that respect.. being hold-up at avenida Venezuela in SDQ by the cops with big-assed guns that were not gonna let us go without paying them RD$ 500.. they just kept searching the car over and over again.. looking for drugs.. after the umpteenth time we just paid them.. they had all day (we didn't) and might eventually have planted some drugs..

Routine was simple after each rejection they just opened up the bags again and looked through the car again...

Another time when there were no armed cops we just drove off... but this time they were armed with big machine guns..