PDA

View Full Version : Moped rental sosua

LJDMV
04-19-2010, 07:49 AM
I was in sosua in March 2010 and I noticed a lot of American guys riding around. On mopeds, motorconchos, etc.. I wanted to know if anyone here has recently rented any of these while visiting Sosua? If so, what was the price to rent, does it come with insurance if it gets stolen what was your overall experience with renting one of those bikes. It looks like a convenient way to get around on your own without having to get on the back of one of the fast crazy motoconcho drivers bikes. I am considering renting one during my next visit to Sosua.

DCIronman
04-19-2010, 09:11 AM
I usually pay $20 a day. You might be able to get it for cheaper, depending upon how long you're renting it. Most rental companies are very small and don't offer any kind of insurance. Therefore, I don't really recommend renting a pasola (scooter) to anyone who isn't used to riding one. The potential for damage both to self, and other's property is enormous.

(Someone please post a link to Big Heav's scooter vid. I think it's appropriate for this thread.)

Also, since no insurance is available, be prepared for them to require you to leave your passport with them. I always make them put it in their safe as I'm watching. And I only rent from one guy. Been renting from him for 4 years now. A really reliable Dominican guy. He even gives me free rides to the bus station or airport.

I personally feel that a pasola or moto is the best way to explore Sosua. Especially when the weather is nice. Hell, I've ridden from Charamicos to Cabarette with no problems.

LJDMV
04-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Thanks for that reply. Is there a specific location or way for me to contact the guy you usually rent from once I am in Sosua.

I usually pay $20 a day. You might be able to get it for cheaper, depending upon how long you're renting it. Most rental companies are very small and don't offer any kind of insurance. Therefore, I don't really recommend renting a pasola (scooter) to anyone who isn't used to riding one. The potential for damage both to self, and other's property is enormous.

(Someone please post a link to Big Heav's scooter vid. I think it's appropriate for this thread.)

Also, since no insurance is available, be prepared for them to require you to leave your passport with them. I always make them put it in their safe as I'm watching. And I only rent from one guy. Been renting from him for 4 years now. A really reliable Dominican guy. He even gives me free rides to the bus station or airport.

I personally feel that a pasola or moto is the best way to explore Sosua. Especially when the weather is nice. Hell, I've ridden from Charamicos to Cabarette with no problems.

DCIronman
04-19-2010, 09:42 AM
I'm sure that I have his # somewhere. I'll try and locate it for you.

I can tell you that his office is right across the street from the restaurant that is next door to Banco Popular. I know, I know. Great directions, right?

I'll look for that #.

Jimmydr
04-19-2010, 09:45 AM

I have done that ride, once and won't ever do it again.

naptime
04-19-2010, 12:47 PM
i think that is the same place that jimbo reccomends as well. he always rents a scooter for a day or two, weather permitting.

i'm hoping weather is nice when i get down there so i can rent one for a day or two as well.

as far as that ride.... heheheh.

let me tell you what.. we rented a villa for the family for our 08 trip, in the far east end of cabarette. sicne we rented for a week, it came with a free125cc scooter for the week as well.

none of us had ever ridden a scooter before. and we werent really too keen on getting on it, with those crazy drivers there.

well, one day we finally decide its time... so i hop on and go for a ride. first, it stalled out on me, and i coudlnt get it restarted.. turns out i wasnt holding the brake. the ni went to the gas station, filled itup. and it wouldnt start again. one of the motoconch drivers at the gas station showed me that i had forgot to turn off the engine kill.. lol...

so, thats just how green i was on ascooter. (at this point i had never even ridden a motorcycle or a scooter in my life)

so, after riding back to the villa, i decide its time for a real ride..

so, my kid hops on the back.. and off we go....

first ride..... cabarette to sabaneta... and back. that was fun. albeit a bit hairraising and scary!!

after we got back to the villa, we decided it was time for a real ride...

and dont you know, on only our second moto ride, we rode from our villa in the far east end of cabarette...... to sosua, and then on to puerto plata, and then onto cofresi !!! al lwe did in cofresi was look at our villa from 07, and say hi to our pool guy... then we turn out and rode back to sosua. had dinenr at rocky's and then back to the villa in cofresi. of course, it even rained for about 20 minutes of the ride :eek:

i had so much fun.. and the gas needle barely ever moved... so, when i got home (this was 08 when gas was 4.50 a gallon here) within 30 days i had a brank spankin new, 150cc scooter sittin in my driveway for 4 grand.. 120 miles a gallon, and top speed of 75 :D

anyway.. didnt mean to thread hack, just figured i'd toss that in there... ;)

anyway.. i remember jimbo saying that the place he goes too (and i think its also across from banco poplar) is the ONLY place he recommends..

but, as mentioend above.. if you havent ever ridden a scooter, be careful. its not the same as a bike for sure !!

Damager
04-19-2010, 02:35 PM
I have a # for a guy that rents scooter and cars if needed. His name is Angel and the name of the place is Yankee Rental Car. Hes a very cool guy and nows perfect english since he lived in New Yourk for allot of years. Ill be there in 11 days also. Tell him that the Boricuas from Orlando sent you and to hook you up. Good Luck and hane fun. # is 829-586-4334.

Damager
04-19-2010, 03:03 PM
I just called Angel to make sure that i get mines reserved and that he is still in business and yes he is.

Damager
04-19-2010, 03:05 PM
I just called Angel to make sure that he is still in business since i havent been there since December and yes he is.

LJDMV
04-19-2010, 03:10 PM
I just called Angel to make sure that he is still in business since i havent been there since December and yes he is.

Whenever u get there and rent please get back on here and send a message to let me know what the cost is total to rent from him. Also if there is anyway to lock it up at night or to prevent theft if necessary.

Jimbo44
04-19-2010, 04:06 PM
DCI... a word af advice.. DO NOT give your passport to anyone ever anywhere to hold, especially in the DR. I been renting them for 3 yrs now, and have a guy who charges 17 day providing I do multiple days which i do. I do not have to lv anything now, but I used to lv an expiered liscense I keep on my when I am down there.
If suddenly he has some story how someone broke in yada yada, u r up shits creek!!

LJDMV
04-19-2010, 04:13 PM
I was hoping there was another way to rent without leaving a passport. That is the most important document I have besides money while in the DR.

Jimbo44
04-19-2010, 04:16 PM
DO NOT lv a passport anywhere ever......... read the above

Mr Hillbilly
04-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Jihad at Sea Breaze has a few a little pricier I rent motorcycles though but scooters you don't have to wear a helmet but definately an interesting experience.

DIFFERENT subject who has driven new highway from Nagua to Santo Domingo it doesnt seem to show up on Google is it Highway 8?

DCIronman
04-19-2010, 05:20 PM
DCI... a word af advice.. DO NOT give your passport to anyone ever anywhere to hold, especially in the DR. I been renting them for 3 yrs now, and have a guy who charges 17 day providing I do multiple days which i do. I do not have to lv anything now, but I used to lv an expiered liscense I keep on my when I am down there.
If suddenly he has some story how someone broke in yada yada, u r up shits creek!!

This is a great idea. I actually have an old license. And I gotta admit that I never thought of using it instead of my passport. Didn't really think much about it since I'd left my passport in hotel concierge safes before while in the DR. And like I said, been renting from the same guy for 4 years now.

But you're right. It's definitely a risk one should avoid, if possible. And it seems that you're getting a better rate from your guy anyway, aside from the fact that he doesn't require you to leave your passport. Who's your rental guy?

prtyr2
04-19-2010, 05:53 PM
This is a great idea. I actually have an old license. And I gotta admit that I never thought of using it instead of my passport. Didn't really think much about it since I'd left my passport in hotel concierge safes before while in the DR. And like I said, been renting from the same guy for 4 years now.

But you're right. It's definitely a risk one should avoid, if possible. And it seems that you're getting a better rate from your guy anyway, aside from the fact that he doesn't require you to leave your passport. Who's your rental guy?

Huge risk. What would stop the guy . . . .when he see you parked the scooter in front of classicos. . . ..to "steal it". . .. .he has the KEYS after all.

Then when you find the scooter stolen. . . . .how much would you pay to replace the scooter and get your passport back?

Luckily your guy seems legit.

LJDMV
04-19-2010, 05:56 PM
Huge risk. What would stop the guy . . . .when he see you parked the scooter in front of classicos. . . ..to "steal it". . .. .he has the KEYS after all.

Then when you find the scooter stolen. . . . .how much would you pay to replace the scooter and get your passport back?

Luckily your guy seems legit.

Are you saying it is a huge risk to rent a scooter at all in Sosua? I was wondering about how if there is a way to lock the scooter up or prevent it from being stolen while parked outside.

Mr Hillbilly
04-19-2010, 06:15 PM
All of the rental people I have delt with in Sosua want one or the other Passport or your drivers license.

All the Motorcycles I have rented in Sosua have locks for the steering or on the Brake rotor so it cant move.

Mr Hillbilly
04-20-2010, 06:04 AM
One more thing. You think quality varies with rental cars ---Scooters and Motorcycles are even worse best look at the Scooter in person as you would a rent a car otherwise might get a beeter.

cdstart=pop&skinjpg=http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/cdskins/fatfree.jpg&yr=2010&mo=4&da=29&hr=0&mi=0&sc=0&cdend=pop&txtcolor=undefined&untilcolor=undefined

Pacoloco
04-20-2010, 04:28 PM
True, I got one last trip for like 17.00/day but it was a piece of crap. Fuel gauge didn't work, back brakes worn out and tire went flat overnight. Then the guy I rented from tried to charge me to have the flat fixed like it was my fault. :mad: Next time I'll inspect the bike better and gladly pay a few more bucks for a better one. A couple guys recommended the place across from Terra Linda but they weren't open the day I was looking for one.
Also I've usually been able to talk them into accepting a copy of my passport.
Are you saying it is a huge risk to rent a scooter at all in Sosua? I was wondering about how if there is a way to lock the scooter up or prevent it from being stolen while parked outside.Yes you can lock the steering plus some come with a cable or wheel lock. The NG and SB will let you park them inside the gates overnight.

givengo440
04-20-2010, 04:40 PM

As You Wish Haji
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaGvY25bBXU

I like to rent a motorcycle everytime I go and I have tons of fun. I have riden from Casa Linda to Puerta Plata and I tell you it has been the best times I have had. If yu plan on staying very local then I say get a scooter and if anything leave a copy of your passport or a old drivers liscense but never the real thing! I normally rent from gihad too although he is a lil pricier he is worth the piece of mind. I will tell you as I was told whatever you brake you pay for so just be careful and enjoy the ride there is nothing like doing 100 on the main highway from the Su - Charimicos - all the towns in between and ending up in Puerta Plata. O dam I wish I can get the fuck outta here Thursday.

Mr Hillbilly
04-20-2010, 04:59 PM
Oh fuck thats funny video I recongnize the street right in front on New Garden.

I usually park across from New Garden thinking its a safe place to put my rental car boy was I wrong!

JD426
04-20-2010, 05:13 PM
Right Across the street, that empty lot you see with the Cement colums and rusty rebarb. They just started up construction again and are putting up Cinderblock walls between the colums. I think they said it will be a RENTAL PLACE also, if so that would be REAL convenient. It may be the guy down the street expanding, but I cant recall for sure.

LJDMV
04-20-2010, 05:21 PM
As You Wish Haji
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaGvY25bBXU (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaGvY25bBXU)

I like to rent a motorcycle everytime I go and I have tons of fun. I have riden from Casa Linda to Puerta Plata and I tell you it has been the best times I have had. If yu plan on staying very local then I say get a scooter and if anything leave a copy of your passport or a old drivers liscense but never the real thing! I normally rent from gihad too although he is a lil pricier he is worth the piece of mind. I will tell you as I was told whatever you brake you pay for so just be careful and enjoy the ride there is nothing like doing 100 on the main highway from the Su - Charimicos - all the towns in between and ending up in Puerta Plata. O dam I wish I can get the fuck outta here Thursday.

can anyone please tell me what happened to the guy in the video? I am hoping that it is not that difficult to ride the scooter. did something else go wrong or what?

gdogg
04-20-2010, 05:28 PM
He's fine. Jimbo44 said he pulled a groin muscle, I believe.

LJDMV
04-20-2010, 05:32 PM
Wow seems like he hit those 2 cars pretty hard..... Hope there was no damage...

balcoach
04-20-2010, 06:31 PM
True, I got one last trip for like 17.00/day but it was a piece of crap. Fuel gauge didn't work, back brakes worn out and tire went flat overnight. Then the guy I rented from tried to charge me to have the flat fixed like it was my fault. :mad: Next time I'll inspect the bike better and gladly pay a few more bucks for a better one. A couple guys recommended the place across from Terra Linda but they weren't open the day I was looking for one.
Also I've usually been able to talk them into accepting a copy of my passport.Yes you can lock the steering plus some come with a cable or wheel lock. The NG and SB will let you park them inside the gates overnight.

The guys across from terra linda are pretty good guys. I have to give them a thumbs up. There are two guys there... Lucho and the other guy I can't remember his name.

continentalmike
04-21-2010, 01:42 AM
Jihad at Sea Breaze has a few a little pricier I rent motorcycles though but scooters you don't have to wear a helmet but definately an interesting experience.

DIFFERENT subject who has driven new highway from Nagua to Santo Domingo it doesnt seem to show up on Google is it Highway 8?

Driven it various times. It's a very good road and very quiet because it's a toll road. Fastest route from the North to the airport.

continentalmike
04-21-2010, 01:44 AM
True, I got one last trip for like 17.00/day but it was a piece of crap. Fuel gauge didn't work, back brakes worn out and tire went flat overnight. Then the guy I rented from tried to charge me to have the flat fixed like it was my fault. :mad: Next time I'll inspect the bike better and gladly pay a few more bucks for a better one.

Tires are never covered under any rental agreement. So beware with the roads as they are (though much better than before).

LJDMV
06-07-2010, 08:00 AM
Any of you guys that have been in sosua in the past 2 weeks rented a moped? If so, what was your experience with the rental? Who did u rent from and how much per day now?

swiggy
06-07-2010, 10:55 PM
Any of you guys that have been in sosua in the past 2 weeks rented a moped? If so, what was your experience with the rental? Who did u rent from and how much per day now?

ballpark price is maybe $17 a day for the moto, but there is no insurance so if you wipe out you have to pay to fix it plus any damage. that said i usually have a moto or a car (I will not be renting a car as much as i have in the past). If you've never driven any kind of motorized bike it probably wouldn't be a good time to start.

nnjdave
06-07-2010, 11:17 PM
The DR is really not the place to learn to ride. I've rented scooters twice, always through the hotel, which adds a few dollars, but never had to leave any ID at all. I usually rent a car, it's not much more, and safer. In any event, inspect before you take off, and take photos right in front of the guy.