PDA

View Full Version : A LITTLE SOSUA HISTORY NOW GONE

ROVER
04-23-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm sure the Sosua vet's have noticed the big house on the corner of Pedro Clinsante across the street from Latinos. The one that hides behind the large shrubs.

I was once told that one of the few ( if not the sole) remaining original Jewish settlers of Sosua had lived there and that he would regularly sit in front with a lawn chair at night.

Though I myself never did see him, probably because my head was constantly turning to check out other things :) I now wish I would have and taken the opportunity to engage him in some conversation as it seems that at 101 years of age he has passed and with him has also passed an important piece of Sosua history now gone forever.

FROM SOSUA NEWS

23 April 2010

Luis Hess, the legend of Sosúa

Many people can still remember his inspiring language lessons

Sosúa's honorary citizen, after whom the Luis Hess School is named, died in his sleep during the night of 8-9 February. Last October he celebrated his 101st birthday among his family. Luis Hess, who received the Honorary State Cross for Services (first class) from the German consul in 2008, was buried on 11 February in the Jewish cemetery in Sosúa, alongside the grave of his wife.
At the beginning of July 2003, Sosúa-News reporter Wim interviewed Mr Hess at his home, where he described his life story. At the time, the article was only published in Dutch because the German and English versions of Sosúa-News only started a few years ago, thanks to Linda and Barbara. In memory of this respected man, who laid the foundation for the Jewish community in Sosúa, we publish the interview again, this time in English and German.

http://www.sosuanews.com/news_pictures/2010/04/04-23_luis_hess_1.jpg Luis Hess in front of his house

It's Sunday morning, and I'm expected at the home of Luis Hess around 11am, so the great man stands outside his house waiting.

Vineyard

Diagonally opposite the Merengue Club, on the other side of the street, there is a wonderful house hidden behind a large hedge. Almost every evening people see a man sitting on a chair beside the opening in the hedge. That man is Mr Hess himself, and he often sits there watching the people pass by. Luis Hess is one of the first Jewish pioneers to arrive in Sosúa, and is someone to whom the town is extremely grateful.
Mr Hess is currently 94 years old, and hopes to celebrate his 95th birthday on 3 October.

Despite his age, he's still fairly fit, has a good memory and is just a bit hard of hearing. He invites me to sit on the wide couch in his living room, which is large and contains beautiful antique furniture. Marc Chagall-like paintings are hung around the walls. He says they are the creation of a Dominican artist from Santiago. The cabinet is full of family photos and other memorabilia, as well a bottle of white wine labelled 'Luis Hess'. But as Mr Hess explains: 'That's just coincidence, I don't have my own vineyard. My son discovered the bottle in California'.

http://www.sosuanews.com/news_pictures/2010/04/04-23_luis_hess_2.jpg Luis Hess at his cabinet

Ram
04-23-2010, 12:12 PM
I remember seeing him sitting out front of his house when at the clubs. Imagine the things he has seen over the years.

It seems he live a good long life.

RIP Mr. Hess.

weyland
04-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Thanks for drawing our attention to this.

To be honest, I never noticed the house despite the dozens (hundreds?) of times I have walked round that corner.

ROVER
04-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Here in the continued interview with Sosua news is some more of the history of this man's life as well as some history of Sosua and the surrounding area.

CONTINUED FROM SOSUA NEWS
Second-largest shoe factory

Luis Hess was born on 3 October in Erfurt, Germany, and is the son of a manufacturing family. His grandfather, also named Luis Hess, had built up a shoe-making factory in Erfurt before World War II, which became the second-largest shoe factory in Germany.

http://www.sosuanews.com/news_pictures/2010/04/04-23_luis_hess_3.jpg HessShoes-factory

http://www.sosuanews.com/news_pictures/2010/04/04-23_luis_hess_4.jpg Grandfather Luis Hess

'The family wanted me to work in the factory' he says, 'but I wanted to study languages and, after eventually persuading my father, I travelled to Switzerland where I studied modern languages in Nachatal'. He learned French, English and Spanish. In order to perfect his language skills, he also visited the USA and various European countries.
****** came to power in 1933 and, just a few years later, the family's shoe factory was confiscated by the Nazis. Luis Hess moved to Ibiza, which had a growing tourist industry. He opened a bar and restaurant there named 'Bar Puerto'. He offered clients a daily menu for just 1.5 pesos! But the start of the Spanish civil war in 1936 forced him to find a safer haven. He moved to Paris and, due to his language skills, he got a job as a pharmaceutical representative.

Visa for the Dominican Republic

In 1939 his residency permit was not renewed and, again, he had to find another home. By chance he heard that the Ambassador of the Dominican Republic was issuing visas to Jewish refugees. Within a few days his visa was arranged and he travelled by boat from Bordeaux to Puerto Plata. This journey took several weeks.
At that time, Puerto Plata was a poor town. It was much smaller then, with no paved roads and houses that were beyond repair. It looked like a huge ghetto.
Luis Hess is still emotional as he tells of when he first saw the church:

http://www.sosuanews.com/news_pictures/2010/04/04-23_luis_hess_5.jpg The boat on which Luis Hess came

'Even the church was a run-down hovel, with a roof made of corrugated iron! I didn't like the look of the town so, the very next day, I continued on to the capital'. At that time the capital was named 'Cuidad Trujiloo', after the dictator.

Translation work for DORSA

Here Luis Hess taught English to Dominicans and Spanish to Jewish refugees. He also did a lot of translation work. As we've mentioned on several occasions, a camp for Jewish refugees was set up in Sosúa in 1940, and the organisation behind this was known as DORSA (Dominican Settlement Association). The organisers asked Luis Hess to do some translation work for them, which included a contract between DORSA and the Dominican government. He became the contact person between DORSA and the government. Later he also took a job at the DORSA office in Sosúa, in the (still existing) building opposite the Victoria Hotel in El Batey. He worked during the day and gave Spanish lessons to Jewish pioneers in the evenings.
In 1941 he married Ana Julia Silva from Puerto Plata, thus breaking the first taboo of the Jewish community.

The Jewish pioneers found it almost impossible to marry Jewish women because Trujillo did not allow single Jewish women to enter the country, so many Jewish men married Dominican women, including Luis Hess.

http://www.sosuanews.com/news_pictures/2010/04/04-23_luis_hess_6.jpg Luis Hess with a picture of his wife

Charamicos is younger than El Batey

The Jewish pioneers soon built up the town of Sosúa, including an infrastructure such as electricity and drinking water. Because the pioneers established their own meat and dairy-produce factory, this offered good jobs to Dominican residents. The area where Charamicos now stands used to be undeveloped land, which was sold to DORSA by Trujillo. This area was used by the Dominican workers who came primarily from Puerto Plata, where they built their homes, free of charge. DORSA provided free electricity and water. Many people think that Charamicos is even older than El Batey.

http://www.sosuanews.com/news_pictures/2010/04/04-23_luis_hess_7.jpg Luis Hess' house under construction

This not true, because the first houses were built here towards the end of the 1940s.

Collegio Cristobal Colón

Luis Hess then became a teacher at the 'Colegio Cristobal Colón', which was established by the pioneers. Together with his wife and several other teachers, he was responsible for the education of children in Sosúa. He taught languages to almost all the pioneers, and many still remember his inspiring lessons. For example, Hermann Strauss (former director of Productos Sosúa) was one of Mr Hess' pupils. He taught at the school for a total of 33 years, though he was headmaster for the last few years.
The school was not only open to the children of pioneers.

All children from Dominican workers received a good education there.
Luis and Ana had two sons: Franklin studied in Germany to become a professor of economics, and Cecil graduated as an engineer in the USA. Mr Hess speaks of his sons with pride. Four years ago, Cecil's engineering company was voted one of the best small companies in the US. Mr Hess proudly shows me a photo of his son alongside former president Bill Clinton, taken when his son received the award.

Watch a documentary on the life of Luis Hess at: www.zdf.de (http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek/beitrag/video/442728/Exil-in-der-Karibik#/beitrag/video/442728/Exil-in-der-Karibik)

http://www.sosuanews.com/news_pictures/2010/04/04-23_luis_hess_8.jpg Luis Hess in front of his school

ROVER
04-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Thanks for drawing our attention to this.

To be honest, I never noticed the house despite the dozens (hundreds?) of times I have walked round that corner.

My pleasure Weyland.

For people that put a value on history this kind of information should not go unnoticed.

I know you'll make sure to take notice of the house during your next visit to Pedro Clinsante. Hopefully your next visit will be before they knock the house down to build another Disco :o

JD426
04-23-2010, 12:41 PM
Thank you very much for posting this, and the history lesson . I never had the pleasure of meeting the man, but it is quite obvious he was a very important part of Sosua History as one of the original settlers.
RIP Herr Hess.

Corrado
04-23-2010, 01:30 PM
I've seen the house many times and wondered why that nice old man would want to buy a house across from the disco.........................:rofl:

You just never know, I had no idea who he was, but I'm glad I read this article.

Jimmydr
04-23-2010, 01:31 PM
I've seen the house many times and wondered why that nice old man would want to buy a house across from the disco.........................:rofl:

You just never know, I had no idea who he was, but I'm glad I read this article.

That is funny.

givengo440
04-23-2010, 01:42 PM
Duriing my last trip I had noticed some activity there once I realized there was a house (always thought it was just brush never paid it much attention). One night leaving classicos I saw a older white haired woman there and then during the day I did see some people on what looked like a porch. I was so surprised to see elderly as we call them just hangng out in the mix of things. It must've been something for him to see his settlement grow to what it is today.

Corrado when I was leaving Classicos I saw the woman standing there I couldn't help but think the same thing myself...

ROVER
04-23-2010, 02:43 PM
I really think that the museum around the corner from Rocky's next to the synagogue is a worth while visit for everyone that is interested in the history of Sosua.

As I remember the entrance fee was about $80 pesos and I spent over an hour in there.
It had a numerous exhibits on display and explained in detail the history of the very first Jewish settlers to Sosua.

Part of the exhibit that I found particularly interesting was the correspondence letters from members of the original settlers that had moved away and could not attend the reunions that were held in Sosua every 5 or 10 years.

In these letters that were intended for the participants of the reunions the authors not only give their apologies and reasons for not being able to attend but also shared their memories of living in Sosua as well as their intimate knowledge of the history of that period.

I remember one such letter in which the author described in detail of how the majority of the Jewish refugees that immigrated to Sosua from Europe were unfortunately not Jews that were fleeing a hostile environment that posed an immediate threat to their lives or safety but were mostly Jews that had already fled from eastern Europe and were residing in places like Switzerland and Denmark.

He had intonated that the immigration process had become politicized and corrupted and that allot of the refugees had used bribe monies to purchase their approvals to immigrate thereby leaving minimal opportunities for others that were not as well off financially but whose situations were definitely more precarious due to where they were residing at the time.

For me it has always been interesting learning about how things came to be.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

gdogg
04-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Saw him a lot and met him once. Someone pointed him out to me on one of my first trips. You'd never know his impact by looking at him, but he was a powerful and historic figure in Sosua. He probably just grinned when he saw all the noisy hoopla across the street from him, and I bet his family begged him to move. He probably said something like "It keeps me young" or "Hey, it's my fault...I can live with it!". I'm certain he's already missed.

papi_sosua
04-23-2010, 04:55 PM
I have been told that the house is up for sale for USD 250k.

Somebody might consider buying the property and opening another entertainment venue; it certainly is less suitable as a residence especially with Rumba as a neighbor.

Corrado
04-24-2010, 10:42 AM
I really think that the museum around the corner from Rocky's next to the synagogue is a worth while visit for everyone that is interested in the history of Sosua.

As I remember the entrance fee was about $80 pesos and I spent over an hour in there.
It had a numerous exhibits on display and explained in detail the history of the very first Jewish settlers to Sosua.

Part of the exhibit that I found particularly interesting was the correspondence letters from members of the original settlers that had moved away and could not attend the reunions that were held in Sosua every 5 or 10 years.

In these letters that were intended for the participants of the reunions the authors not only give their apologies and reasons for not being able to attend but also shared their memories of living in Sosua as well as their intimate knowledge of the history of that period.

I remember one such letter in which the author described in detail of how the majority of the Jewish refugees that immigrated to Sosua from Europe were unfortunately not Jews that were fleeing a hostile environment that posed an immediate threat to their lives or safety but were mostly Jews that had already fled from eastern Europe and were residing in places like Switzerland and Denmark.

He had intonated that the immigration process had become politicized and corrupted and that allot of the refugees had used bribe monies to purchase their approvals to immigrate thereby leaving minimal opportunities for others that were not as well off financially but whose situations were definitely more precarious due to where they were residing at the time.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Accepting bribes in the DR.............nawwwwwwwwwww, for real........

Somebody might consider buying the property and opening another entertainment venue; it certainly is less suitable as a residence especially with Rumba as a neighbor.

I would buy it, turn it into a 30 min-1 hour cabana, and be a millionaire in 3 months:rofl::rolleyes:. No more walking to the hotel, motoconchos, negotiations over the difference of 30 min to 1 hour. Cross the street, or walk next door pay 200-300 pesos, y ya! All the chicas would be very happy, after 25-30 min just walk across the street and go back to selling pussy. I would also rent lockers and banos to chicas so they could wash up and change clothes, no more moto rides back to Charamicos for changing club wear and washing sweaty pussy. I would probably also sell shit like fishnets and body stockings, pocket rockets etc..........

Jimmydr
04-24-2010, 10:43 AM
Actually they should build a strip mall, with a bank and supermarket.

Count
04-24-2010, 12:53 PM
Accepting bribes in the DR.............nawwwwwwwwwww, for real........

I would buy it, turn it into a 30 min-1 hour cabana, and be a millionaire in 3 months:rofl::rolleyes:. No more walking to the hotel, motoconchos, negotiations over the difference of 30 min to 1 hour. Cross the street, or walk next door pay 200-300 pesos, y ya! All the chicas would be very happy, after 25-30 min just walk across the street and go back to selling pussy. I would also rent lockers and banos to chicas so they could wash up and change clothes, no more moto rides back to Charamicos for changing club wear and washing sweaty pussy. I would probably also sell shit like fishnets and body stockings, pocket rockets etc..........

Congratulations!! You get my Entrepreneur of the Year award!!

Corrado
04-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Congratulations!! You get my Entrepreneur of the Year award!!

Thank you, thank you.........now I just need investors........ISOC? Anyone?

weyland
04-24-2010, 08:34 PM
I was so surprised to see elderly as we call them just hanging out in the mix of things.
Why? You know that I am often in Sosúa.

jaundelmundo
04-25-2010, 09:19 AM

Is this information verifiable?

Tony Toca
04-25-2010, 06:56 PM
Is this the guy who complained about the Sexy lady bar (started by a couple of Americans) so much they were forced to close in a couple of months (Sexy lady moved to the Blue Dolphin).

I believe his complaint was that they were wearing shorts and/or bathing suits.

Well, if it was him, thank god he fucked off!

Tony Toca
04-25-2010, 06:57 PM
Actually they should build a strip mall, with a bank and supermarket.

Wasn't that the plan for the hole in the ground across from the Shark bar?

MisterPink
04-25-2010, 07:17 PM
Is this the guy who complained about the Sexy lady bar (started by a couple of Americans) so much they were forced to close in a couple of months (Sexy lady moved to the Blue Dolphin).

This is the guy that helped build Sosua, founded Colegio Hess and lived there since the 1940's. I really hope you are not referring to Sr Hess in such a disrespectful manner. The Funky Cold Medina.

Tony Toca
04-25-2010, 07:31 PM
This is the guy that helped build Sosua, founded Colegio Hess and lived there since the 1940's. I really hope you are not referring to Sr Hess in such a disrespectful manner. The Funky Cold Medina.

What I am saying if he was the one that forced the Sex lady bar to close, then fuck him.

Its nice that he was one of the first settlers and helped open the school, but if he was helped shut down the bar and cause some guys to loose money, then fuck him.

MisterPink
04-25-2010, 07:35 PM
What I am saying if he was the one that forced the Sex lady bar to close, then fuck him.

Its nice that he was one of the first settlers and helped open the school, but if he was helped shut down the bar and cause some guys to loose money, then fuck him.

I am sorry you feel that way, now go fuck yourself.

Tony Toca
04-25-2010, 09:23 PM
I am sorry you feel that way, now go fuck yourself.

It seems I struck a nerve.

Was this guy a friend of yours?

Did you work with him on achieving his accomplishments?

Are you against chica friendly bars on Pedro Clisante?

Well, its seems he was a close friend you probably never meet, but thanks for the FU and right back at you. Easy on the drama. Have a Funky Cold one!

MrHappy
04-26-2010, 07:21 AM

Dude, how about a little respect for the dead, OK.

It's obvious you did know the guy, or you wouldn't be talking like that about him like that.

mikelodge
04-26-2010, 11:18 PM

Very interesting, RIP Mr. Hess.

mikelodge
04-26-2010, 11:28 PM
Dude, how about a little respect for the dead, OK.

It's obvious you did know the guy, or you wouldn't be talking like that about him like that.

Maybe he was referring to that other German named Hess that really was an idiot and flew his plane to England to negotiate Germany's surrender in WWII and lived to be like 95 and died in the late 80's or something. Now that guy nobody most of us would agree will be missed.

gdogg
04-26-2010, 11:33 PM
Maybe he was referring to that other German named Hess that really was an idiot and flew his plane to England to negotiate Germany's surrender in WWII and lived to be like 95 and died in the late 80's or something. Now that guy nobody most of us would agree will be missed.

Rudolph Hess...a truly bad fellow (I'm sure no one is talking about him).

http://www.christianodyssey.com/images/gospel/rudolph%20hess.jpg

mikelodge
04-26-2010, 11:42 PM
Rudolph Hess...a truly bad fellow (I'm sure no one is talking about him).

Click to see pic (http://www.christianodyssey.com/images/gospel/rudolph%20hess.jpg)

Bad and a dumb shit

WickedWillie
04-26-2010, 11:47 PM

If that was the bar that is now the Hideaway bar, it really wasn't the brightest idea to open a daytime whorehouse next to his school. I guess the bar owners didn't do too much due diligence.

Jimmydr
04-27-2010, 07:39 AM

The man lived across the street and didn't want it there, end of story.

Tony Toca
04-27-2010, 04:21 PM
If that was the bar that is now the Hideaway bar, it really wasn't the brightest idea to open a daytime whorehouse next to his school. I guess the bar owners didn't do too much due diligence.

Across the street from the house is now Merengue bar/Classicos and bar central, not the Hideaway bar.

weyland
04-27-2010, 04:47 PM
Close enough for an American, I suppose.:rolleyes:

Hess actually flew to Scotland (not England) to negotiate a peace treaty with Great Britain which would have been favorable to Germany, certainly not Germany's surrender, as at that time the Nazis were sweeping all before them.

For decades there have been all sorts of conspiracy theories about why he did this behind H i t l e r 's back. The conclusion now seems to be that he had a nervous breakdown and was actually motivated by humanitarian considerations, wishing to stop the slaughter of German and British troops fighting each other (though he would cheerfully have seen them invading the Soviet Union in alliance).

It is a fascinating and complex tale and I have always wondered why no-one has ever made a feature film about it. Maybe because no Americans were involved (until late in the story)?

whatever
04-27-2010, 07:47 PM
The man lived across the street and didn't want it there, end of story.

Yeah I'm with the old man on this one. Who would want to
live right next to a night club? Everyone needs a quiet
place to go to. It's hard to party every night and at 100+
years old I doubt he was doing much partying. He was
there first after all.

WickedWillie
04-27-2010, 08:04 PM
Across the street from the house is now Merengue bar/Classicos and bar central, not the Hideaway bar.

Maybe we are talking at cross purposes here, but take a walk past Merengue bar, same side of the street, and after maybe 50-75 yards you will come to what is now the Hideaway Bar, as near as dammit next to Luis Hess school. All on the opposite side of the street to the house.

This was once a daytime whorehouse that got closed/shut down. I just can't remember if it's name was Sexy Lady.

weyland
04-27-2010, 08:13 PM

I think you let yourself down with that post, Tony. You are a lot better than that.

mikelodge
04-28-2010, 12:53 AM
I think you let yourself down with that post, Tony. You are a lot better than that.

I always found it is tough enough to pick on a really old person unless they are a real asshole.

Second if they had accomplished anything worth a shit in there life and that could be being a 47 year employee never missing a day of work or something more noteworthy it becomes much harder.

Sometimes I agree old people can be a pain in the ass business wise since they seem to never let up but this guy seemed to be a pretty exemplary person.

Time to move on.

Sosua is for Whores and anyone that thinks it is for something else is either stupid or not realistic now. His time is over again RIP Sir, don't bash the guy.

ROVER
04-30-2010, 11:53 AM
Looks like this book could be some interesting reading but the price of 1,500 pesos is more than I'm willing to pay.

Also not sure if it is available in English

Maybe I'll check ebay :rolleyes:

From Sosua News

Caribbean hideout

Earlier this year, an impressive study of the Jewish community came out in bookform under the title Caribbean hideout (Fluchtpunkt Karibik). The authors of this work are Hans-Ulrich Dillmann and Susanne Heim. The two authors made a detailed study on the motives of dictator Trujillo, why he opened his country for the Jewish refugees who were able to escape the regime of terror in Nazi Germany. They describe in detail the problems with which those pioneers had to struggle and the conflicts these problems caused among eachother. It is an honest and not romanticized view with a credible reproduction of the origin of the settlement Sosúa. The book was written very accessible and in clear language, and it is illustrated with unique photos. Of course you can get in the book in Germany in every bookstore, for about 20-30 €. But it is also available in Sosúa for 1500 pesos at the Hotel Casa Valeria.
Calle dr. Rosen 28, Sosúa Dominican Republic, Tel: + 1809 571 3565

http://www.sosuanews.com/news_pictures/2010/04/04-30_book.jpg (http://www.sosuanews.com/news_pictures/2010/04/04-30_book.jpg) Fluchtpunt Karibik

E-mail: hotelcasavaleria@gmail.com
Web: www.hotelcasavaleria.com (http://www.hotelcasavaleria.com/)