PDA

View Full Version : Santeria

Tonto4
03-16-2005, 06:39 PM
Anybody with novias or living there has to pick-up on this. I've seen botanicas. This is the Spanish relative of Voodoo. I am just curious about the pervasiveness of its practice and its influence on Dominican culture.

BROOKLYN_357
03-16-2005, 06:53 PM
Anybody with novias or living there has to pick-up on this. I've seen botanicas. This is the Spanish relative of Voodoo. I am just curious about the pervasiveness of its practice and its influence on Dominican culture.

I'VE NEVER HEARD OF IT...I WONDER is it something they practice

Reel Deal
03-16-2005, 08:17 PM
Seeing how the Dr is something like 95% devout Roman Catholic, you prolly won't see much except in Haitian enclaves...

fox mulder
03-16-2005, 08:50 PM
Many catholics believe firmly in the occult and practice it in one form or the other in many third world countries. To them church is just part of the culture.

BrooklynBeas
03-16-2005, 08:53 PM
ive only heard about the voodoo shit with the haitians... I dont believe in it anyway... ouch i just got a pain in my side hehe

fox mulder
03-16-2005, 09:13 PM
ive only heard about the voodoo shit with the haitians... I dont believe in it anyway... ouch i just got a pain in my side hehe

One of your 500peso girls that you fucked her brains out is finally taking her revenge :lol: :lol: :lol: Get a bottle of beer I hear it helps

BrooklynBeas
03-16-2005, 09:25 PM

One of your 500peso girls that you fucked her brains out is finally taking her revenge :lol: :lol: :lol: Get a bottle of beer I hear it helps

well the only Haitian ive been with is Mimosa so maybe dominicans do practice voodoo

gdogg
03-16-2005, 09:48 PM

It's supposed to be very real. It's also a GREAT song by Sublime!

Marco
03-16-2005, 10:04 PM

As far as I know it is more common in Cuba. It is also practised in parts of the Cuban community in South Florida. There was some controversy here in Miami, or the City of Hialeah to be more specific, when the city passed some ordinances that made animal sacrifices illegal.The santeria church claimed that animal sacrifices was an integral part of the religion and brought the case all the way to the Supreme Court, who ruled in favor of the church.

Here is more info:

http://religiousmovements.lib.virginia.edu/nrms/santeria.html

http://www.oyez.org/oyez/resource/case/793/

D_W_
03-16-2005, 10:41 PM
Seeing how the Dr is something like 95% devout Roman Catholic, you prolly won't see much except in Haitian enclaves...

No no no...Santeria is HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE in DR. It is very strong and prevelant...much more common than you'll ever know.

Pana
03-16-2005, 10:50 PM

No no no...Santeria is HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE in DR. It is very strong and prevelant...much more common than you'll ever know.
Santeria is practiced in some parts of DR it is not only a Haitian thing it is all over Carribean and some parts of Latin America, some of yall watch to much TV :shock: ,dont believe every thing you see on TV.

continentalmike
03-17-2005, 08:35 AM
you'll see some forms of it practised.. I've encountered it mostly in el campo where it is much more accepted..

If people cannot get to a traditional doctor.. they will use what is known as a curandero... traditional medicine.. herbs, healing etc..

Maybe a good spot for our friend Maylay

most_sincere7
03-17-2005, 08:51 AM
Voodoo is prevelent all through the carib, south america, central america, Mexico, and many parts of the southern part of the US. When slaves were introduced to the Catholic religion, many of these saints reminded slaves of some of their deities in their own country. Hence, slaves intermix one of religion with another: voodoo and catholicism. And voodoo is still practice today by many people in these countries.

You would be absolutely suprised if you walked into some of the Catholic churches throughout the carib, in terms of the voodoo undertones.

FnB
03-18-2005, 02:05 PM

There is also a lot of spanish speaking dominicans that practice Voodoo.