PDA

View Full Version : Rent a car or taxi?

Jonas
05-10-2010, 06:31 PM
What should I do?

LJDMV
05-10-2010, 06:33 PM
taxi... car is too much trouble if u get in any type of accident in the Dominican Republic

BigDave
05-10-2010, 06:48 PM
If your staying in town, you don't need a car, everything is within walking distance, if you got a villa or not in town, thats another story, but be aware there have been some nightmare experiences with rental car accidents involving the renter being put in a medeval type jail cell. I've rented carsand driven there, but I'd think long and hard before doing it again

Mr Hillbilly
05-10-2010, 06:53 PM
I have 2 tips for car renting

1 ] Don't rent one.

2 ] Drive off in case of accident yes drive off you have no idea what is instore for you.

I was the one thrown in the Medieval Jail 10 feet by 10 feet 20 Hoodlems 10 were naked ,no food ,water toilet, bed or seat other than old concrete walls and floor.

It couldn't have been any worse conditions and the people still be alive.

Jonas
05-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Ok enough said, no rental for me

DCIronman
05-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Yeah. As a rule, newbies shouldn't drive.

mikelodge
05-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Yeah. As a rule, newbies shouldn't drive.

I remember the first time I rented and drove a jeep in Mexico when I was 18 and I was never the same again.

I should mention that it was in Juarez just across the border from El Paso and I was with 2 friends who spoke Spanish and in those days the border was safe.

Festy
05-12-2010, 11:28 PM
I've been to Sosua about a half dozen times and with RARE exception I am only in a taxi to go to and from the airport. Just not necessary for the most part. One of the BEST selling points about Sosua is you can walk to most of the places you will want to go if you are on a monger mission.

gdogg
05-13-2010, 12:48 AM
What should I do?

Why? What are you doing? You need to be more specific. Simple answer...NO! If this is first trip, you need to learn the lay of the strip (hey, that rhymed!) before you explore. Depending on where you are staying, this can be done by foot. Maybe you'll meet a vet with a car and can ride with him. Whatever you do, don't over think your trip.

husl2001
05-13-2010, 01:38 AM
If you've gotta ask, then you really should be taking a taxi.

whynotme
05-13-2010, 03:30 AM
i don't like riding shotgun so for me if i want to go somewhere i rent a car.

like others have said if your staying in sosua you don't need one. if your going to explore pop,santiago,santo domingo etc then once you have been there a few times personally i would rent. not advisable to drink and drive even though i have done it. also avoid the pot holes........i blew out two tires on marcos rental back in 05 or 06 which he had just installed the day after i rented it and had complained the belts were shifted. i should have waited as it cost me 6,000pesos:rofl:

if you can drive in rush hour traffic in a major metro area you will be ok. if you are used to driving on open roads with few cars then i would think about it;)