PDA

View Full Version : CASA DEL CONDUCTOR

Mr Hillbilly
05-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Anyone actually rent a car in the DR and have this added?

Tried few different rent a car web sites but nothing.

I know what you guys are thinking? Not learn his lesson?

Probably not. Got Billys attorney number ,Billys number ,Albertos as a Bondsman why should I be scared? lol

Only one hitch this insurance never heard anyone getting it.

DRboundagain
05-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Anyone actually rent a car in the DR and have this added?

Tried few different rent a car web sites but nothing.

I know what you guys are thinking? Not learn his lesson?

Probably not. Got Billys attorney number ,Billys number ,Albertos as a Bondsman why should I be scared? lol

Only one hitch this insurance never heard anyone getting it.
I think you have learned a good lesson, make sure you get the best insurance available and stay away from shaky rental agencies.

I have never seen casa del conductor coverage available as an option on any rental agreement. You might want to email customer service at Alamo, Budget, Avis, or Hertz and see if this coverage is included with their auto insurance.

I have contacted Alamo/National in the US for information in the past and they in turn contacted Alamo/National in the DR and got back in touch with me. It would be wise to get something in writing.

Once you rent in the DR and get a taste of freedom by having a vehicle it is tough to give it up. I am all for driving in the DR. Only time I speak against it is for newbies.

Mr Hillbilly
05-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Just don't peticular want to die of heatstroke with naked hoodlums; rather get ate by shark or something along that line.

eldorob
05-12-2010, 05:45 PM
More naked hoodlum talk?

Nakom
05-12-2010, 05:50 PM
For my trip I contacted my insurance company and they gave an umbrella rider on my HOUSE insurance for rental cars outside North America. It was $1,000,000 liability and $1,000,000 3rd party with no deductable. This was $14 for a month. You get 2 mil in coverage and the peace of mind it is with your own insurance company.

I rented my first time down there, and I will be renting for my 2nd trip leaving next week. I used Alamo. I did not have any 'extra' charges on my credit card and no problems.

One peice of advice. If you ever get into a similar situation down there again tell the police to contact the US consulate (or embassy) in the DR right away. They are bound by law to do so if you ask, but they will not contact them if you do not ask. Better yet, have the numbers programmed into your cell phone and phone them first, before you even get out of your car. If the US (or Canadian) consulate is involved, the only time you will spend in jail is until they get down to the police station. Also, they will get you an english speaking (non corrupt) lawyer. I did a lot of research on this before my first trip including calling the Canadian embassy in the DR.

Mr Hillbilly
05-12-2010, 06:06 PM
Alamo

There is another guy on another board researching Alamo as we speak.
won't rent unless my ass is covered.

Well I did some research. Here is what I found out about Dominican law in summary:

First Phase - Arrest and Detention: According to the Dominican Constitution, a person detained or arrested by the police authorities may be held without charges for up to 48 hours. During this 48-hour period, an assistant district attorney (prosecutor) and the police conduct an initial investigation of the case. Assistant district attorneys are present at most police stations and have the responsibility to lead the investigation.

{this is when they have the opportunity to shake down and try to extort money before official paper work is ever submitted. This is when all the scare tactics occur because if you pay up before the 48 hours they can release you. And no one even there bosses will ever know the police and everyone involved ever did anything illegal to you. This is the reason they don't give you any documentation because they would loss there job and possible jail sentence. The government does not tolerate this because they don't want to loss tourist dollars but the reality is that it is a small country and bad things are done at the local level. But, if discovered it is dealt with. That is why it is important if you get in a situation to not be scared, understand your rights under DR laws, and have people working on your side for your release.}

Right to an Attorney: A detainee is typically questioned as part of the investigation by the authorities. According to Dominican law, a detainee is entitled to have an attorney present during any questioning, as well as at any of the hearings or trials. If the detainee cannot afford to have an attorney, the government will provide a public defender upon request. A detainee also has the right to remain silent.

Habeas Corpus: According to the Constitution of the Dominican Republic, any prisoner detained for more than 48 hours without being formally charged is entitled to request a hearing of habeas corpus. Habeas corpus is a physical release of an arrestee from prison while awaiting trial. The presiding judge at the hearing is empowered to order the prisoner's release if he has been detained for more than 48 hours without being formally charged or there is insufficient proof of a crime to warrant further detention. The judge's decision to release is subject to appeal by the district attorney. A defendant released on habeas corpus is required to remain in the country until the charges are finally resolved.

{My take if you can last 48 hours and actively ensure they understand you know your rights and you have people actively working for you outside, they will have to let you go unless you really did do something.}

You can go to the US Embassy website santo dominigo under citizen services - Emergency Services for more information. I did not want to provide a link because then their internet reports will show all the referrals are coming from this website http://www.InternationalSexGuide.info/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

mikelodge
05-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Just don't peticular want to die of heatstroke with naked hoodlums; rather get ate by shark or something along that line.

I actually had a dream about that jail hole scene you described. I have never even hesitated once renting a car in any foreign country but your report made me think.

I did some research on the driving safety in Panama and then used the same Gov't site to compare the DR. Here is a link

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1103.html#traffic_safety

What I recall from reading this during some drinking last night was that they stated that you will be arrested for a DWI or a serious accident just like 8 said.

Here is the paragraph it is in.

Dominican law requires that a driver be taken into custody for driving under the influence or being involved in an accident that causes serious injury or death, even if the driver is insured and appears not to have been at fault. The minimum detention period is 48 hours; however, detentions frequently last until a judicial decision is reached (often weeks or months), or until a waiver is signed by the injured party (usually as the result of a cash settlement).

I think this thread about getting STUCK should STICKY around.

We all need to be updated about safety issues as often as possible.

mikelodge
05-12-2010, 06:20 PM
For my trip I contacted my insurance company and they gave an umbrella rider on my HOUSE insurance for rental cars outside North America. It was $1,000,000 liability and $1,000,000 3rd party with no deductable. This was $14 for a month. You get 2 mil in coverage and the peace of mind it is with your own insurance company.

I rented my first time down there, and I will be renting for my 2nd trip leaving next week. I used Alamo. I did not have any 'extra' charges on my credit card and no problems.

One peice of advice. If you ever get into a similar situation down there again tell the police to contact the US consulate (or embassy) in the DR right away. They are bound by law to do so if you ask, but they will not contact them if you do not ask. Better yet, have the numbers programmed into your cell phone and phone them first, before you even get out of your car. If the US (or Canadian) consulate is involved, the only time you will spend in jail is until they get down to the police station. Also, they will get you an english speaking (non corrupt) lawyer. I did a lot of research on this before my first trip including calling the Canadian embassy in the DR.

And if they don't speak English and pretend not to know what US consulate or embassey means or your cell phone is dead you may end up with 8 or betters Locker Room Jail scene. :eek:

Mr Hillbilly
05-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Mike like I said I have several different people looking into it deeply because quite frankly they aren't too thrilled of the idea of Jail either.

I just don't have any more answers than before .

I got banned from the whole topic on another site.

Mike your buddy that gets you the discount codes don't know shit or someone who does know ?

Malo
05-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Mike like I said I have several different people looking into it deeply because quite frankly they aren't too thrilled of the idea either. I just don't have any more answers than before .

Mike your buddy that gets you the discount codes don't know shit or someone who does know ?

What site?

Mr Hillbilly
05-12-2010, 07:28 PM
TSM Bruce and Gypsy the owner of Adventure are good friends he didn't like it when members including me started drilling him.

He got involved; came up short ;then we tore him new ass and he didn't like it.

Malo
05-12-2010, 07:29 PM
TSM Bruce and Gypsy the owner of Adventure are good friends he didn't like it when members including me started drilling him.

I can say that after meeting Bruce, he is a complete asshole.

mikelodge
05-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Mike like I said I have several different people looking into it deeply because quite frankly they aren't too thrilled of the idea either. I just don't have any more answers than before .

Are you referring to the rental car codes or what? The code I posted works I have friends that have used it many times. Not all locations accept the same codes. It is just like discounts or coupons in the Entertainment Books not all of them work outside the U.S.

Personally I use the Marquis/NetJet code that a friend of mine got me a card which is always as least as good and sometimes better but you need an ID card for that.

What codes have you found that are better? I would be happy to try them.

Mr Hillbilly
05-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Mike just thought your buddy was executive in rental car company might know way around going to Jail in Accident in DR .

mikelodge
05-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Mike just thought your buddy was executive in rental car company might know way around going to Jail in Accident in DR .

No my friends are more like real estate developers. I did discuss this with 2 of my friends who invest in things in many countries and their answer wasn't pretty. To summarize I would say they weren't surprised.

Mr Hillbilly
05-12-2010, 07:46 PM
I guess there is only two ways not rent a car or get that Casa Del Conductor and get throw in their Santiago Jail Facility.
Now its just a matter of finding out which rental agency has it and whether the insurance company pays other party quickly or if its 6 months till trial.

Nakom
05-12-2010, 11:30 PM
And if they don't speak English and pretend not to know what US consulate or embassey means or your cell phone is dead you may end up with 8 or betters Locker Room Jail scene. :eek:

Excellent point mikelodge - but like I said - call your embassy even before you get out of your car and let them know what happened. It might not work - but I'm sure it's way better than not calling!! If your phone is dead then you are fubar.

mikelodge
05-12-2010, 11:44 PM
Excellent point mikelodge - but like I said - call your embassy even before you get out of your car and let them know what happened. It might not work - but I'm sure it's way better than not calling!! If your phone is dead then you are fubar.

I have had alot of fubar in my life but luckily I learned from it fast and rarely now put myself in the position.

In all seriousness I certainly am sorry to hear about what happened to 8 or Better but I am glad that he has continued to share and push this info since I feel it is very important for people to at least have the knowledge of the possibilities that could happen. Then you can make your decision and weigh your risks. That is how I have always lead my life.

I have actually written the numbers to call down to be programed into a clean phone that I will have one of my friends add to their account before I visit again.

Talis
05-13-2010, 12:02 AM
I mentioned in another thread that I would be canceling by rental due to this event. I did cancel my reservation from adventure (which is too bad because they drop it off right at the hotel - I was only going to have a car for the second week of my vacation). I did make inquiries about the casa del conductor insurance option to all the rental places I could find. The initial phone calls were useless but they did forward the questions on. The only one so far that has gotten back to me is Alamo and the answer was no help.

I did find a thread on another site from a person that rented from Dollar that was in an accident that did have Casa Del Conductor (they were not aware they had it until they called the rental company after being in an accident) but this was in Santiago but at least that means that rental companies can carry it...

I am still going to rent a car while I am there for the last half of my vacation just not from any place that does not have an international presence. I'm going to insure the shit out of it and drive like a granny.

mikelodge
05-13-2010, 12:11 AM
I mentioned in another thread that I would be canceling by rental due to this event. I did cancel my reservation from adventure (which is too bad because they drop it off right at the hotel - I was only going to have a car for the second week of my vacation). I did make inquiries about the casa del conductor insurance option to all the rental places I could find. The initial phone calls were useless but they did forward the questions on. The only one so far that has gotten back to me is Alamo and the answer was no help.

I did find a thread on another site from a person that rented from Dollar that was in an accident that did have Casa Del Conductor (they were not aware they had it until they called the rental company after being in an accident) but this was in Santiago but at least that means that rental companies can carry it...

I am still going to rent a car while I am there for the last half of my vacation just not from any place that does not have an international presence. I'm going to insure the shit out of it and drive like a granny.

You got it thats my program too. I still need or extremely want a car and frankly won't go without one knowing all the things it opens up to you that are available.

I prefer the term grandpa to granny but all that have ridden with me would agree I am very cautious driving. OK except that one night I tried to get the cow to get in the back seat up in Mulatta. :rofl:

Corrado
05-13-2010, 12:31 AM

The international agreement between countries with diplomatic relations is actually that the police should contact a consular officer from your country as a matter of standard practice whenever a foreign national is arrested as soon as possible, even if you do not request it.......even if you request that they do not do it. But most police do not know local laws so you can forget them knowing international treaty. So in reality..... yes you do have to ask.

I do not know about the Canadian authorities.....but the U.S. Consulate WILL NOT;

1. secure your release nor attempt to direct any authority to release you.

2. The U.S. Consulate WILL NOT provide you with a lawyer.

What they will do;

1. Call your family to advise them of your situation

2. Provide you with a list of lawyers you can hire at your own expense, they make no guarantees of his honesty, only that the service appears to be reliable.

3. Depending on the circumstance, provide you with a loan to cover the initial expense of retaining a lawyer, until you can arrange funding.

4. Visit you in Jail until you are released.

5. Monitor your jail conditions for human rights violations, and petition the proper authority if there is a violation.

6. They will bring you your medication if you are on meds.

7. Will arrange for you to see a private doctor, at your expense, for any preexisting problems or problems that arise as a result of your incarceration.

If anyone is interested I can provide the U.S. State Departments list of recommended attorneys in the DR.

mikelodge
05-13-2010, 12:50 AM
The international agreement between countries with diplomatic relations is actually that the police should contact a consular officer from your country as a matter of standard practice whenever a foreign national is arrested as soon as possible, even if you do not request it.......even if you request that they do not do it. But most police do not know local laws so you can forget them knowing international treaty. So in reality..... yes you do have to ask.

I do not know about the Canadian authorities.....but the U.S. Consulate WILL NOT;

What they will do;

2. Provide you with a list of lawyers you can hire at your own expense, they make no guarantees of his honesty, only that the service appears to be reliable.

3. Depending on the circumstance, provide you with a loan to cover the initial expense of retaining a lawyer, until you can arrange funding.

5. Monitor your jail conditions for human rights violations, and petition the proper authority if there is a violation.

7. Will arrange for you to see a private doctor, at your expense, for any preexisting problems or problems that arise as a result of your incarceration.

If anyone is interested I can provide the U.S. State Departments list of recommended attorneys in the DR.

This sounds more accurate :wink: but then most of us knew they don't provide a lawyer. Post the list dude somebody may need it. I have a couple of numbers provided to me that I hope I never have to use because I can't afford to cut into my mongoring budget. :lol:

This is a serious subject and I for one apprecitate reading any imput and advice from someone on point like Corrado. Thanks

Nakom
05-13-2010, 01:09 AM

What they will do;

This is good information. I got my info from the Canadian Embassy in Santa Domingo and do not know about the US situation. As for the laywer it is the same with the CDN authorities. They do not provide you with a laywer - but I was told they have a list of english speaking Canadian expat lawyers that are not corrupt - but do charge the going rate for a lawyer in Canada.

Corrado
05-13-2010, 01:27 AM
The list is quite extensive so I will provide a sampling from various cities.

SANTO DOMINGO
Colegio de Abogados de la República Dominicana (Dominican Bar Association):
Address: Isabel La Católica Street at the corner of El Conde Street, #60, Santo
Domingo. Telephones: (809) 682-4042, (809) 685-5259, Fax: (809) 685-6508.

Aaron Suero & Pedersini Attorneys-at-Law:
Address: Ave. Francia #123, Edif. Khoury, Suite 101, Gazcue.
Intl. Mailing Address: P.O. Box 14-1106, Coral Gables, Florida 33114-1106, U.S.A.
Telephones: (809) 532-7223. Fax (809) 532-6376. Toll Free No.: 1-877-248-3245;
Toll Free Fax: 1-888-297-8227. E-mails: dlawyers@verizon.net.do and
dlawyers@prodigy.net. Web page: www.dlawyers.com and www.lawyers.com/dlawyers
Specializes in: ADR, Adoption, Arbitration, Aviation & Aerospace, Banking Law,
Business Law, Commercial Law, Consumer Law, Contracts, Corporate Law, Copyrights,
Debtor and Creditor, Divorce, Employment Law, Employee Benefits, Entertainment &
Sport, Environmental Law, Family Law, Fast divorce, Finance, Franchise Law, Free
Zone, Foreign Investments, General Practice, Immigration Law, Insurance,
Intellectual Property, International Law, International Trade, Internet Law,
Labor & Employment, Legal Malpractice, Litigation, Medical Malpractice, Patents,
Personal Injury, Products Liability, Professional Liability, Real Estate, Sports
Law, Taxation, Trademarks, Torts, Tourism, Toxic Torts, Transportation, Trust and
Estates, Wills and Probate, Workers Compensation, Process Service.
Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish.
C. V.: Firm Profile: Established in 1993, devoted to represent solely foreign
clients and attorneys immersed in legal matters involving Dominican and
international laws, considering clients' needs, confidentiality, professionalism,
cost-effectiveness and the value of success.

Almonte Jiménez & Associates:
Address: Euclides Morillo #16, Arroyo Hondo.
Telephones: (809) 540-2811. Fax (809) 683-3380. E-mail:
ofialmonte@verizon.net.do. Web page: www.almontejimenez.com
Specializes in: Civil, commercial, labor, corporate y criminal law,
including drug offenses. Collections.
Languages: Spanish, English and French. Provides interpreter.
C. V.: University UNPHU 1988. Notary Public.
Aquino Rodríguez & Associates:
Address: Ave. Nuñez de Cáceres esq. Gustavo Mejía Ricart, Plaza Saint
Michel, Suite 619, El Millon.
Telephone: (809) 540-8538, (809) 412-4623; Cell 1-(809) 834-5324.
Fax (809) 658-6631. E-mail: arsa@verizon.net.do
Specializes in: General practice; Civil, corporate and labor law. Foreign
investment, insurance, government relations, intellectual property, taxes, fraud.
Languages: Spanish, English, French and Italian. Certified translator.
C.V.: 15 years of legal practice in the Dominican Republic. Notary Public.

Dilia Amelia Batlle Jorge de Ceara:
Address: Paseo de Los Locutores #33, Urb. Evaristo Morales.
Telephone: (809) 732-0333 1-(809) 855-5290. E-mail: batlle.Jorge@gmail.com
Specializes in: General practice; Civil & International law; Immigration
law.
Languages: Spanish, English. Certified translator.
C.V.: Universidad Autónoma de Santo Domingo. 1998.

Campagna Attorneys-at-Law:
Address: Florence Terry #4, Edif. Conresa I, Apt. 301, Ens. Naco.
Telephone: (809) 616-1941, (809) 481-1821. Fax (809) 616-2421.
E-mail: nearco@campagnalex.com Web page: www.campagnalawoffices.com
Specializes in: General practice. Civil, commercial, corporate, criminal and
labor law. Adoptions, estates, government relations, drug offenses, foreign
investments, taxes and intellectual property.
Languanges: Spanish and English. Legal interpreter.
C.V.: PUCMM University, 1971. 60 years of legal practice in the Dominican
Republic. Notary Public.

Bufete Carías S. A.:
Address: Ave. Los Próceres No. 10, Esq. Calle Euclides Morillo, Residencial
Galá.
Telephone: (809) 562-7103, (809) 562-4059. Fax (809) 563-7444. E-mail:
b.carias@verizon.net.do
Specializes in: Civil corporate and commercial law. Adoptions, collection,
trade, real estate, taxes and property.
Languages: Spanish and English. Provides interpreter. Judicial
Interpreter.
C.V.: University (UNPHU) November 19, 1983. Born 29 Oct 1960, Dominican
Republic. Notary Public.

Castillo & Castillo Juristas S.A.:
Address: Ave. Lope de Vega No. 4, Ensanche Naco.
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1611.
International Mailing Address: CPS No. 781, P.O. Box 49020, Coral Gables,
Florida, 33114-9020.
Telephones: (809) 562-3344. Faxes (809) 542-7969 y (809) 476-6961. E-mail:
Castillo@verizon.net.do; juristas@verizon.net.do Web Page: www.castillo.com.do
Specializes in: Civil, Corporate and commercial law. Property matters.
Languages: Spanish and English.
C.V.: University of Santo Domingo 1963. Born 1940, Dominican Republic. Notary

Dr. José Antonio Columna & Associates:
Address: Calle C No. 9, Reparto Esteva Oeste, Ensanche Piantini.
Telephones: (809) 562-1947. Fax (809) 562-2694.
E- mail: oficolumna@verizon.net.do
Specializes in: Litigations in general practice; civil, criminal, commercial,
labor and administrative law. Property and collections, foreign claims &
investments.
Languages: Spanish, English and French. Will provide interpreter.
C.V.: University UNPHU, April 21, 1988. Notary Public.

Dr. Milcíades Damirón-Maggiolo:
Address: Avenida Pasteur No. 152, Gazcue.
Telephones: (809) 687-3422, (809) 686-5065. Fax (809) 686-3031.
Specializes in: General practice. Civil, commercial and criminal law,
including drug offenses. Property, collections and trade matters.
Languages: Spanish and minimal English. Will provide interpreter.
C.V.: University of Santo Domingo 1962. Born 27 May 1938, Dominican
Republic. Notary Public.

Dhimes & Marra, S. A. Attorneys-at-Law:
Address: Avenida 27 de Febrero No. 329, Torre Elite, 5to piso.
International Mailing Address: CPS No. 1866, P.O. Box 149020, Coral Gables, FL,
31149-9020.
Telephone: (809) 732-2035. Fax (809) 732-2062. E-mail:
dhimesmarra@dhimesmarra-law.com Web page: www.dhimesmarra-law.com
Specializes in: Civil, corporate, labor and commercial law; banking,
collections, electricity, franchising, free zones, foreign investment,
intellectual and industrial property, healthcare law and social security,
litigation and arbitration, privatization, property, real estate and securities.
Languages: Spanish, English and French. Provides interpreter.
C.V.: University UNPHU, 1987. University PUCMM, 1991. Member of the
International Lawyers Network (ILN). Notary Public.

Fatule Chain & Associates:
Address: Calle Francisco J. Peynado No. 113, Ciudad Nueva.
Telephones: (809) 685 4878. Fax (809) 687-0276.
Specializes in: General practice; criminal, civil, commercial and labor law.
Languages: Spanish. Will provide interpreter.
C.V.: University of Santo Domingo, 1966. Notary Public.
Dra. Maria Esther Fernández Alvarez de Pou:
Address: El Recodo #2, Monte Mirador Bldg., 3rd Floor, Bella Vista.
Telephones: (809) 535-9511 ext. 230. Fax (809) 535-6649. E-mail:
mefernandez@rvhb.com Web page: www.rvhb.com
Specializes in: Civil and commercial law. Aeronautical/maritime,
banking/financial, contracts, corporations, foreign investments, government
relations, marketing agreements and taxes.
Languages: Spanish, English, Portuguese and French. Certified Translator.
C.V.: University UNPHU, 1990. Born August 17, 1967, Dominican Republic. Notary Public.

Franko & Associates:
Address: Romulo Betancourt #540, Esq. Caonabo, Suite 16, El Renacimiento.
Telephones: (809) 482-1900/ 8345, (809) 537-1118; Cell (809) 696-6031.
E-mail: collado9841@hotmail.com
Specializes in: General practice. Immigration Law. Property & Casualty.
Languages: Spanish, English.
C.V.: UNICARIBE, 2005. INTEC, 2005. Notary Public.

Corrado
05-13-2010, 01:29 AM
SANTIAGO

J. M. Cabral y Báez:
Address: Calle Cuba No. 58.
Telephone: (809) 583-7211. Fax (809) 582-8120.
E-mail: info.sti@prudentia.com.do web page: www.prudentia.com.do
Specializes in: Civil, commercial, corporate and labor law; collections;
Adoptions; Banking/Financial, local and foreign investments, insurances,
patents/trademarks/copyrights.
Languages: Spanish, French and English
C.V.: 2 Partners; 12 associates. Santiago, Dom. Rep. Notary Public.

Campagna Attorneys-at-Law:
Address: Calle San Luis #9.
Telephone: (809) 582-7181, (809) 583-8666. Fax (809) 587-3925. E-mail:
evandercampagna@hotmail.com Web page: www.campagnalawoffices.com
Specializes in: General practice. Civil, commercial, corporate, criminal and
labor law. Adoptions, estates, government relations, drug offenses, foreign
investments, taxes and intellectual property.
Languanges: Spanish and English. Legal interpreter.
C.V.: PUCMM University, 1971. 60 years of legal practice in the Dominican
Republic. Notary Public.

Dr. René Alfonso Franco & Associates:
Address: Calle 30 de Marzo No. 39, George Haché Bldg., 2nd floor.
Mailing address: Apartado Postal 895.
Telephones: (809) 582-4054, (809) 581-6854. Fax (809) 582-4054. E-mail:
lil_alfonso@hotmail.com, marinaarostegui@hotmail.com
Specializes in: Civil, commercial, labor and corporate law. Also handles
criminal cases, except drug offenses, money laundry, homicides and other crimes.
Languages: Spanish and English. Judicial interpreter.
C.V.: PUCMM University, 1979. Established on November 8, 1921, Dominican
Republic. Notary Public.

International Law Office Dominicana, S. A.:
Represented by: Díaz & Domínguez Law Office
Address: General Cabrera #62, Báez-Alvarez Bldg., Apt. 10, 2nd Floor.
Telephones: (809) 533-4688, (809) 532-0383. Fax (809) 535-0882.
Phone in U.S. 1-800-527-7021. E-mail: lawdr@verizon.net.do
Specializes in: Divorce matters. Civil, commercial and corporate law, Business,
trade names and trade mark registrations, foreign investments, collections and trade disputes.
Languages: Spanish, English, French, Italian, Philippine and Portuguese.
C.V.: This firm includes 21 attorneys graduated from various American, Mexican,
Philippine and Dominican Universities.

Pellerano & Herrera Attorneys-at-Law:
Address: Paseo Oeste, Bionuclear Bldg., 1st Floor, La Rosaleda.
International mailing address: A-303, P. O. Box 52-4121, Miami, FL 33152-4121.
Telephone: (809) 580-1725. Fax (809) 241-0225. E-mail: ph@phlaw.com
Web page: www.phlaw.com
Specializes in: General practice; Civil, commercial, labor, corporate and
international law; divorce, adoptions, property, banking, taxes, immigration
issues, foreign investment and litigations. Handles criminal cases, except those related to drug offenses.
Languages: Spanish, English and French. Judicial interpreter.
C.V.: University of Santo Domingo, 1950.

Corrado
05-13-2010, 01:32 AM
PUERTO PLATA

Dra. Angela Altagracia Del Rosario Santana:
Address: Calle Duarte No. 43.
Telephones: (809) 586-2071. Fax (809) 586-2071; Cell (809) 836-7464
E-mail: fdelrosario@verizon.net.do; angela_altagracia@hotmail.com
Specializes in: Civil, commercial, international and corporate law; Adoptions,
child custody.
Languages: Spanish.
C.V.: 11 years of legal practice in the Dominican Republic. Born January 27,
1968, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic. Notary Public.

International Law Office Dominicana, S. A.:
Represented by: Lic. José Germosén D’Aza
Address: Beller #53, Puertoplateña II Bldg., 2nd Floor, Room #24.
Telephones: (809) 533-4688, (809) 532-0383. Fax 535-0882.
Phone in U.S. 1-800-527-7021.
Specializes in: Divorce matters. Civil, commercial and corporate law, Business,
trade names and trade mark registrations, foreign investments, collections and
trade disputes.
Languages: Spanish, English, French, Italian, Philippine and Portuguese.
C.V.: This firm includes 21 attorneys graduated from various American, Mexican,
Philippine and Dominican Universities.

Bufete Jiménez Messon, S. A.:
Telephones: (809) 586-2071. Fax (809) 586-2071.
E-mail: fdelrosario@verizon.net.do
Specializes in: Civil, commercial, labor and corporate law; Collections.
Languages: Spanish and English. Will provide interpreter.
C.V.: University of Santo Domingo 1959. Born June 17, 1937, Dominican Republic.
Notary Public.

Dra. Daisy Jiménez Guindin:
Telephones: (809) 586-2071. Fax (809) 586-2071.
Specializes in: Civil, labor and corporate law; Immigration matters.
Languages: Spanish and English.
C.V.: 13 years of legal practice in Puerto Plata. Born February 8, 1966, Puerto
Rico.

J. M. Cabral y Báez:
Address: John F. Kennedy #139.
Telephone: (809) 586-4004. Fax (809) 586-1766.
E-mail: info.pop@prudentia.com.do Web page: www.prudentia.com.do
Specializes in: Civil, commercial, corporate and labor law; collections;
Adoptions; Banking/Financial, local and foreign investments, insurances,
patents/trademarks/copyrights.
Languages: Spanish, French and English
C.V.: 2 Partners, 12 Associates; Puerto Plata, Dom. Rep. Notary Public

Corrado
05-13-2010, 01:43 AM
SAN FRANCISCO DE MACORIS

De Jesús & Associates:
Address: Ave. 27 de Febrero No. 85, Plaza Krizan Apt. 210, 2nd floor.
Telephone: (809) 588-7779. Fax (809) 588-1834.
E-mail: carmendejesus_@hotmail.com
Specializes in: General practice; Civil, and commercial law. Taxes, insurances,
property, divorces, contracts and car accidents.
Languages: Spanish and English. Will provide interpreter.
C.V.: University Nordestana, 1990. Born December 12, 1964, Dominican Republic.
Notary Public.

Guzman Ariza & Associates:
Attorney’s office of Lic. D. Antonio Guzmán L.:
Address: Castillo #50, 2nd floor.
Telephone: (809) 588-2324. Fax (809) 588-0961. E-mail: info@drlawyer.com
Web page: www.drlawyer.com
Specializes in: Civil, commercial, corporate and labor law; real estate and
foreign investments, taxes, adoptions, immigration matters and intellectual
property.
Languages: Spanish, English and French. Certified translator.
C.V.: MIT University, Massachusetts, 1973. University PUCMM, 1981. Born 1949,
Dominican Republic. Notary Public.

Mr Hillbilly
05-13-2010, 05:56 AM
3 people that know of did NOT go to jail after injuring someone in DR but they all went to clinic not the hospital with victims and paid bill.

One other person got 10000 us dollars before they released him from Jail after accident.

But I still need more information but looks like Dollar rental car is only one with Casa del Conductor. lets face it if that jail is more comfortable in Santiago beets hell out of other one.

weyland
05-13-2010, 07:42 AM
I can say that after meeting Bruce, he is a complete asshole.
LOL. That is funny. When I first met Bruce I thought "Who does he remind me of? Of course, JimmyDR". Then I met him in company with one of my friends who said exactly the same thing, quite unprompted by me.

Perhaps being an asshole is a requirement to run a monger website?

Mr Hillbilly
05-13-2010, 09:06 AM
I got to hand it to you WEYLAND you don't pretend to be anyone other than yourself.

Your exact same person online as you are face to face!

Happy belated Birthday.

PS Where is those birthday pics?

Malo
05-13-2010, 09:24 AM
LOL. That is funny. When I first met Bruce I thought "Who does he remind me of? Of course, JimmyDR". Then I met him in company with one of my friends who said exactly the same thing, quite unprompted by me.

Perhaps being an asshole is a requirement to run a monger website?

I don't get mad easy, but say that to my face and I will get mad. I don't offer chicas lunch in exchange for sex. I don't tell guys how to post reports. Shall I go on.

Mr Hillbilly
05-13-2010, 10:58 AM
No doubt renting cars to Gringos and detaining them for money is the Dominican Republics biggest SCAM. Not just for the rental agents but for the Police ,Prosecutors, attorneys

and anyone else involved.

There looks to be no way around their scam either other than not renting a car. or driving off and not stopping leaving the victims bleeding on sidewalk.

The Casa de Conductor sounds good but they will hold you there also until you have cash payment for them.

No matter what credit card or liabilty insurance you have will not prevent you from Jail in case other party is in hospital your fault or not.

Nor is there any rental agency showing up to pay them off for you with their checkbook.

I guess I ride the bus.

Talis
05-13-2010, 03:12 PM
I disagree with you on some of these points. When I read your story they really did not press you for money until they had put you in a cell for a while. "Your" attorney really didn't clue you in, he just led you along keeping you in the dark until you were put into the cell. They left you in the cell for a while so you could appreciate your predicament and then they showed up with a "solution" for lots of money...

Knowing what you know now: You would get your own lawyer who would let you know your real options and let them know the limits of theirs.. He can say things like "no wonder half our hotels are empty, imagine what he is going to say when he gets home!", etc, etc... You know that they have 48 hours max to hold you until they charge you so that is their scamming window. More importantly you can let them know that you know whats going on so that maybe it isn't worth the time. I would not be in their face about it as they might come after you out of spite but a casual mention of knowing the process (like everything else I keep reading here - act like you know what you are doing) may not save you from the jail but it will reduce the jerking around they give you.

Mr Hillbilly
05-13-2010, 03:15 PM
I would have been dead by then 48 hrs you forget I was nearly unconcious after hour or so no water nothing I couldn't even talk till I had water.

Another thing you don't understand is they had access to well over 100k us back in my hotel room via my debit cards.

Talis
05-13-2010, 03:41 PM
I understand what you are saying and I am sure pretty much everyone here would have reacted in the same manor under the those circumstances... at that point they wanted you to be as stressed as possible so that you would jump at the offered solution. They were presenting you with a worst case scenerio so the worst place, no food, no water, etc..

The post at the beginning of the thread said the embassy would send someone down to make sure you were being treated fairly correct? If this happens again to someone here hopefully they will post up how it plays out when the embassy is called and there are government types standing about asking about the prisoners condition and the attorney for the defense is not in collusion with the police.

Mr Hillbilly
05-13-2010, 03:43 PM
No I never even got a phone call I called my wingman as my shoelaces were getting removed.

Corrado
05-13-2010, 04:16 PM
I understand what you are saying and I am sure pretty much everyone here would have reacted in the same manor under the those circumstances... at that point they wanted you to be as stressed as possible so that you would jump at the offered solution. They were presenting you with a worst case scenerio so the worst place, no food, no water, etc..

The post at the beginning of the thread said the embassy would send someone down to make sure you were being treated fairly correct? If this happens again to someone here hopefully they will post up how it plays out when the embassy is called and there are government types standing about asking about the prisoners condition and the attorney for the defense is not in collusion with the police.

This is completely dependent on the call being mad in the first place, so you have to make the call before you realize you cannot leave. After they tell you you cannot leave, they will begin to restrict your contact with the outside world.... more or less your phone calls will be made at their discression, yes they have to give you one, but it can be after 2 or 3 hours in a 110 degree cement box....... at which time you will probably be willing to pay a nice sum to get out........so speed dial is a must.

Even then I doubt a Consular Officer will make a trip to see you after only spending 1 hour in jail, so being tough and sticking it out because you know you are right is not always the best course.

Mr Hillbilly
05-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Another thing to consider is the family could have thought about it and demanded more money in next couple days.