PDA

View Full Version : [DR1] Volleyball and handball gold

NewsWhore
07-24-2006, 02:10 PM
The Dominican women's volleyball team defeated Cuba 3-0 last Friday in the XX Central American and Caribbean Games of Cartagena, Colombia. This is the first time that the country does a grand slam in volleyball over arch-rivals, the Cuban squad. The DR thus repeats the gold medal won in the 2002 Central American Games that took place in El Salvador, and when Cuba did not compete. The DR team also won the Panamerican Games championship, defeating Cuba in the Santo Domingo 2003 Games.

"I am very proud about this individual award, but the biggest sensation is the one of being champions," said Vargas. "We have been training very hard for several months and taking the gold medal here was one of our main goals for this year."

Dominican Annerys Vargas was elected by the media covering the event as the Most Valuable Player of the women's volleyball tournament that closed on Friday night with the astonishing triumph for the DR team. "I want to dedicate this triumph to all the people in the Dominican Republic," said Vargas. "I know how they are feeling after the victory over Cuba in the match for the gold medal, and I only can remember how it was during the Pan American Games when we also defeated the Cubans."

In another surprising victory, the Dominican team won the gold medal in handball, defeating the Cuban squad 32-28.

Karate has contributed several of the golds and Tennis, Table Tennis, Judo, Tae Kwon Do and Track and Field are expected to add to the medal count. Currently, the Dominican Republic has ten gold medals, five silver medals and fourteen bronze medals. Men's baseball is guaranteed a silver medal, and ladies Softball scored a historic victory yesterday as Melissa Penna pitched a perfect game against Guatemala, winning 7-0.

The DR is ranked sixth in the event, with 31 medals, including ten gold, 5 silver and 16 bronze. Mexico, Cuba, Colombia, Venezuela, and Puerto Rico lead the medal count.

Link To Original Article (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#11)