PDA

View Full Version : Rock and Roll in DR!

BadGoodMan
03-18-2005, 09:15 PM
B.B. I was right www.justmorerecords.com Man sorry But RE Gay ton sucks. Maybe people might say Shit to me cause I am 36 and love Rock and Metal but Reg Gay ton is for Teenagers. Sorry,A.M.

BrooklynBeas
03-19-2005, 04:28 PM
B.B. I was right www.justmorerecords.com Man sorry But RE Gay ton sucks. Maybe people might say Shit to me cause I am 36 and love Rock and Metal but Reg Gay ton is for Teenagers. Sorry,A.M.

everyone has their own opinions... I like what i like and it seems like the chicas like my music as welll... How many dominican chicas do you see dancing in the streets while you blast Metal in the DR.... OK i thought so..

knotty
03-19-2005, 04:39 PM

everyone has their own opinions... I like what i like and it seems like the chicas like my music as welll... How many dominican chicas do you see dancing in the streets while you blast Metal in the DR.... OK i thought so..

i never seen any chicas rocking out at all. you might have your opinions about the music, but reggaeton is big throughout the Americas, and continues to spread.

gdogg
03-20-2005, 07:18 AM
You can find a little rock music in Sosua on my mp3 player. When I'm not there, you can find some on Marco's mp3 player at Rockys. Lou has plenty on his mp3 players at the Shark Bar. THat's pretty much it. Don't believe me? Go into Classico and ask the DJ to play AC/DC's "Hell's Bells".

You will promptly be tossed out on your arse!
:roll:

jd_mine
03-20-2005, 08:54 AM
Go into Classico and ask the DJ to play AC/DC's "Hell's Bells".
You will promptly be tossed out on your arse!

I did hear a beach stall play AC/DC's It's a Long Way to the Top if you Wanna Rock and Roll once!!! And it wasn't the Shark bar.
That's about the only rock and roll I ever heard in the Dominican Republic.....:-)

Arecho Monger.
03-20-2005, 04:21 PM
A Bright spot on Sosuas Dark Entertainment scene,at least for rock n rollers,is Rockys Rock and Blues Bar> Calle Doctor Rosen 22>. It is a great retreat from merengue. Rocys is open til 4 amdaily,reopening with inexpensive breakfasts at 7 AM. Later,Rockys serves up Kentucky style fried chicken,submarine sanwiches made of steak and peperoni,and pizzas. Rockys ------ WHEN ONly Rock will Do. Hey also next to Rockys is a Budget Hotel The Kind I would like it is Odeon hotel Fax them at 571 2951 also phone them at that number too rooms are 15 bucks a night. This Hotel reached thru the back door of Rockys Rock and Blues Bar was a Brothel before its current owner came along. Now The seven clean rooms on three floors with hot water bathroom,fan on a stand,and a decent beds do not come with a room service fee. just 15 Bucks and you have a roof over your head. Altough the bar stays open late,it is never very loud. This is a very good find. YES BB My friend this is What I like. I am sure to if Rockys has a juke box their might be some BB King,John Lee Hooker Or Even John Mayall on the Juke Box. Sexo N Rock N Roll.

Apos
03-20-2005, 04:53 PM
A Bright spot on Sosuas Dark Entertainment scene,at least for rock n rollers,is Rockys Rock and Blues Bar> Calle Doctor Rosen 22>. It is a great retreat from merengue. Rocys is open til 4 amdaily,reopening with inexpensive breakfasts at 7 AM. Later,Rockys serves up Kentucky style fried chicken,submarine sanwiches made of steak and peperoni,and pizzas. Rockys ------ WHEN ONly Rock will Do. Hey also next to Rockys is a Budget Hotel The Kind I would like it is Odeon hotel Fax them at 571 2951 also phone them at that number too rooms are 15 bucks a night. This Hotel reached thru the back door of Rockys Rock and Blues Bar was a Brothel before its current owner came along. Now The seven clean rooms on three floors with hot water bathroom,fan on a stand,and a decent beds do not come with a room service fee. just 15 Bucks and you have a roof over your head. Altough the bar stays open late,it is never very loud. This is a very good find. YES BB My friend this is What I like. I am sure to if Rockys has a juke box their might be some BB King,John Lee Hooker Or Even John Mayall on the Juke Box. Sexo N Rock N Roll.

where are you getting you info from? have you even been to Sosua?

i stay at Rocky's when on vacation in sosua and was there for 2 weeks as recently as January. What you are describing slightly resembles reality but is more fiction than fact as of the new year.

i won't waste my time correcting your inaccuracies but you are sorely misleading people with this kind of crap! :evil: :evil:

BadGoodMan
03-20-2005, 05:08 PM
www.lonelyplanet.com

where are you getting you info from? have you even been to Sosua?

i stay at Rocky's when on vacation in sosua and was there for 2 weeks as recently as January. What you are describing slightly resembles reality but is more fiction than fact as of the new year.

i won't waste my time correcting your inaccuracies but you are sorely misleading people with this kind of crap! :evil: :evil:

Ram
03-20-2005, 05:30 PM
When I was at Blackbeards they played a lot of Santana, sounded good on a hot afternoon.

Apos
03-20-2005, 06:19 PM
www.lonelyplanet.com

you might want o try this lik for more accurate and uptodate info :)

http://www.rockysbar.com/index.html

i'm not sure where on lonely planet you are referring to but if you want to show the specific url for the review you refer to i'd be interested to see it.

Kevy
03-20-2005, 06:23 PM
It must be out of date, It didn't even mention the Ribs at Rocky's. I never heard of the Hotel he is talking about either.

Apos
03-20-2005, 06:30 PM
It must be out of date, It didn't even mention the Ribs at Rocky's. I never heard of the Hotel he is talking about either.

it could be wha tis now the cowgirl bar. the "hotel' in the back is still unfinished except for where the chicas stay. i suspect it is not an "official" LP review, i may be wrong, but a piece from the thorn tree or the like. what i do know is that it is very inaccurate for the last 15 months or so.

he sure made it seem like they were his words what with his comments to beas at the end and no quotation marks or reference to where he found it.

JDR
03-20-2005, 07:14 PM
www.lonelyplanet.com

i'm not sure where on lonely planet you are referring to but if you want to show the specific url for the review you refer to i'd be interested to see it.

Rockys had a bar before the hotel site.

Apos
03-20-2005, 08:04 PM
www.lonelyplanet.com

Rockys had a bar before the hotel site.

yes he did, not in the same location thoughn and he moved in about 2002.

BadGoodMan
03-31-2005, 04:27 PM
Cum On Guys More to this then That Merengue And Pappi Perreo Crap. I hate it When Gringos and Latinos stay ignorant on the music subject. Just go to www.punkinternational.com and then hit the country profiles and check out the cool scene report on The Dominican Republic Punk Scene. Enough of Dady Yankee Gasolina Crap. So many Latins love Rock Music and it is not for Plastic Spanish People. I think RE Gay ton is for Plastic Spanish People. The Info was from Saturday Jan. 8th 2005. The cities that have most of the Punk Shows are>Santo Domingo,Santaigo and Cabarete. Can Bands easily tour THE DR between the major cities? ANSWER> Inner Cities do not have much of a crowd to offer,but it has gotten really better,to the point where touring is now somewhat a possible thing. Are many bands able to tour abroad? Which countries will they usually go to? ANSWER> It is not an easy task,especially when playing punk but it is not impossible. Currently only one underground punk band has played in another country,but this is something everyone is working to do.New York,Puerto Rico,Central America. For more info on this just check out the rest of this in www.punkinternational.com Now will Any Baron Rojo fans Please Stand up? HA,SEXO Y ROCK N ROLL.

Don Tomas
03-31-2005, 05:00 PM
My comments on their review of the DR...

What cities in the Dominican Republic have the most active music scenes?
Santo Domingo, Santiago, Cabarete.
Santo Domingo = 2,800,000 people; Santiago = 850,000; Cabarete = 4,000! Not sure how they could group those cities together.
Can bands easily tour the Dominican Republic between the major cities?
Inner cities dont have much of a crowd to offer, but it has gotten really better, to the point where touring is now somewhat a posible thing.
Santiago = Inner City = 850,000, hell most of the cities along Autopista Duarte (La Vega, Bonao, etc.) are bigger then the above-mentioned Cabarette.

How important is foreign influence in the Dominican music scene?
Very important, just so you know there is a "big" emo wave going on here.
Must have missed it in Santiago, yes I know what emo is.

Is music from the Dominican Republic often political? What are some of the general sentiments?
There are only a couple of bands that address the subject, most of the time they talk about corruption and class battles.
Merengue is fast beat love songs, Bachata is slow beat love songs and hardship songs. VERY RARELY are class battles spoken about in public, it exists but it is "accepted" and not thrown in anyone's face.

Why might a band in the Dominican Republic choose to sing in English as opposed to Spanish?
I guess it depends on how you feel more confortable writing a certain song, cause many people here have lived in the north.
DUDE If they get out of the country there are only two reasons they go back permenantly, deported for crimes or they are rich now.

Is there much representation of independent music in major media?
Yup, its fairly easy for a band to get media coverage in papers and radio and such.
Advertising is extremely expensive over media (TV, Radio, newspapers) much cheaper to hire someone to run around and post signs, that how all the other band advertise.

Are CDs very expensive in the Dominican Republic? How much do independent bands' CDs cost compared to major label bands?
We sell our CDs at 150 pesos, thats about 6 US dollars, compared to the 250-400 (10-16 US) pesos of imported artistst and major label acts.
CD's are 50-100 pesos (150+ only for stupid tourists) depending on your negotiating skills

Are recording facilities easily available and affordable to bands in the Dominican Republic?
Yes they are, I have a recording studio that I openned up in January and I like to make it easy for bands, especially punk bands, to record.

On average, how many people will go to a show in the Dominican Republic?
Depending on the act I would say anything from 150 to 500 people.
WOW 150-500 people in two of the largest cities in the DR, HUGE crowds man! Can't wait to see the radio stations change format.

Final Note: The 98% of the country that is poor will continue to listen to their chopo bands like Adventura, Frank Reyes, etc. Yes those bands are chopo bands, but I still like them. As for the rest they will divide between good merengue and other alternatives. Please remember I am not talking about Reggaeton they play in Sosua for tourists, I am talking about Merengue and Bachata which were both developed in the DR. Yes let's toss out the national music for something else, I can the Dominicans lining up now. :lol:

Apos
03-31-2005, 06:27 PM
i can't believe we're wasting bandwith with this dreck :lol:

BadGoodMan
03-31-2005, 06:33 PM
Maybe But Where is That ASS from? It is Hypnotizing Me. Seems like a Brazilian ASS but it is a DR ASS> ARGGGH LIFE IS GOOD.
i can't believe we're wasting bandwith with this dreck :lol:

BrooklynBeas
03-31-2005, 09:26 PM
Are CDs very expensive in the Dominican Republic? How much do independent bands' CDs cost compared to major label bands?
We sell our CDs at 150 pesos, thats about 6 US dollars, compared to the 250-400 (10-16 US) pesos of imported artistst and major label acts.
CD's are 50-100 pesos (150+ only for stupid tourists) depending on your negotiating skills

50-100 pesos are for the bootlegs... i saw "real cd's" in SDQ selling for similar prices of CD's in NYC

Babyboy31
08-01-2005, 08:25 PM
THis Is To Apostrepheman Who is A Gringo from Canada but seems to hate Rock Music. There Is a lot of Rock Bands in THE DR. You think that everyone that is Latin loves Salsa or REG GAY Ton they do not You always say Knowledge is Power if so use it. Have you ever checked out this Dominican Rock Website>>>> www.dimensionoculta.com Be Cool Like You said KNOWLEDGE IS POWER STOP BEING IGnorant.

Ram
08-01-2005, 08:28 PM
THis Is To Apostrepheman Who is A Gringo from Canada but seems to hate Rock Music. There Is a lot of Rock Bands in THE DR. You think that everyone that is Latin loves Salsa or REG GAY Ton they do not You always say Knowledge is Power if so use it. Have you ever checked out this Dominican Rock Website>>>> www.dimensionoculta.com Be Cool Like You said KNOWLEDGE IS POWER STOP BEING IGnorant.

Apos does not hate Rock....what the fuck is wrong with you...I happen to know that he likes many types of music!! He is not the one who is ignorant around here buddy!!

BrooklynBeas
08-01-2005, 08:30 PM
MongerMonger... Its not good for your I.S.O.C. to put down Moderator and Headquarter/Board of Directors on this site... Consider yourself warned... Relax with the posting about stupid shit and stay away from laming other members... Everyone has their own opinions so we will let you talk some nonsense but when you start pissin people off like you did when you were AerchoMonger you will no longer be welcome... Shake it easy... Mr BudgetMonger :eek: :D

Apos
08-01-2005, 08:35 PM
mr. monger, keep being a goof and i'll keep kicking you from the threads. personal attacks are not in your best interest.

also you have no idea of my taste in music as i have not burdened the group with my preferences as they are mine and no one else would really care.

get it yet?

Apos
08-01-2005, 08:36 PM
mr. monger, keep being a goof and i'll keep kicking you from the threads. personal attacks are not in your best interest.

also you have no idea of my taste in music as i have not burdened the group with my preferences as they are mine and no one else would really care.

get it yet?