PDA

View Full Version : The World According to Apos?

Apos
05-19-2010, 08:10 PM
Hey Apos:

What is the reason for Sosua being so slow from your perspective on the ground?? Talking to other business owners etc...

Is it the Euros or something else?? New Garden seems to always be packed so what is the missing ingredient why its so slow??

Glad you asked! :rolleyes::lol:

We've been discussing it around here for a few weeks. The general consensus seems to be that it's the sum of all the silly shit that's been happening around the world and the ramifications of them. From the housing/bank collapse that started in the US, currency devaluation, changing patterns/destinations of Europeans, Airline changes like mergers and bankruptcies resulting in higher airfare, reduced flights/charters and the general hassle of air travel, thank you 911 :rolleyes:. Factor in Greece, the volcanic ash bullshit and the influx of refugees due to the earthquake in Haiti and all of a sudden Sosua and the DR, outside perhaps of Punta Cana, is not such a popular vacation spot anymore.

This results in much lower volume of tourists and tourist $$$ and except for those niche hotels like the NG, Rocky's and places like the Sea Breeze and the newcomer Terra Linda many hotels and restaurants are having their worst year in a decade or more. If you're not a "destination" then your business is likely cripplingly low right now.

Passions seems busy by all accounts and is expanding yet again. Terra Linda was just built and is often at or close to capacity and has enough of the opening jitters worked out to be quite popular.

Many AI's are "closed for renovations" and will probably remain so until things come around again....but I would not hold your breathe. Perhaps in 2-5 years, assuming things worldwide don't get much worse, and maybe we'll see an influx of tourists again. Then again Dominicans do seem to have a way of fucking things up for tourism and for expats doing business here. Just look at airline ticket taxes and how difficult it is to get even seemingly simple things accomplished...."It's a great place to visit but,....." jejejejeje! :rofl:

ajax718
05-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the post. Very informative

gdogg
05-19-2010, 08:20 PM
I hope it picks up soon. For ALL the businesses sake.

ajax!! Where you been?

SeaWeed
05-19-2010, 08:31 PM
thanks Apos......

the whole Caribbean is getting slammed......not only the DR......and those high taxes on airfare don't help the situation....
though I think Sosua probably going to feel it more than a lot of places due to it not being a couples or families destination........
it could be the opposite because it's a niche market for mongers.....dunno for sure

JuanElGriego
05-19-2010, 08:47 PM
though I think Sosua probably going to feel it more than a lot of places due to it not being a couples or families destination........
it could be the opposite because it's a niche market for mongers.....dunno for sure

I would go with your 2nd thought.

Mongers, on average, tend to be single guys and have more disposable income and time to get away than married men. At worst, the economy will have him making 3 trips a year instead of his usual 4.

It's the couples destinations that are gonna feel it the worst.

Even a place like Sosua, since i started going there about 5 years ago when the economy was great, i now see just as many, if not more, mongers than i did back then. What i don't see is all the families i remember on Sosua beach anymore.

Apos
05-19-2010, 09:03 PM
No, or much fewer, families and AI visitors. It's become more of a single guy's destination. This accounts for places like the NG, etc...being relatively full most of the time.

The problem with this is that there is a lot lower number of people contributing to the local economy. Many restaurants are often all but empty. The beach looks deserted almost all the time. Even Herman is saying it's his worst year in the last 11...and the streets are relatively empty.

There's the occasional influx of weekend visitors but it sure ain't like it was 5 or 6 years ago, and that's a shame! There is a noticeable feeling of discontent and desperation in the air. Many more kids and chicas on the street and some new guys that have no apparent means of income...I wonder what they're doing for money?!!!

Kids sleeping on the steet, day and night, and chicas that are obviously unhappy to have to be doing what they do at reduced prices, and those that refuse, holding on for the big fish for days at a time. One once popular girl I know had not a client in 8 days! Some chicas have returned to Passions and other salida bars having previously sworn that they never would and other formerly popular disco chicas are working at place like Seacrets and Cuba Libre for a chance at a regular income...times are tough and people are going hungry!

Even Ted, the most popular bartender in Sosua, was laid off and then had a hard time finding meaningful employment...once upon a time 2 or 3 bars basically had a bidding war for his services. My how things have changed!

afroski
05-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Kids sleeping on the steet, day and night, and chicas that are obviously unhappy to have to be doing what they do at greatly reduced prices, and those that refuse, holding on for the big fish for days at a time. One once popular girl I know had not a client in 8 days! Some chicas have returned to Passions and other salida bars having previously sworn that they never would and other formerly popular disco chicas are working at place like Seacrets and Cuba Libre for a chance at a regular income...times are tough and people are going hungry!

You imply that chica prices are falling, just how low have they gotten lately? When I was there for the New Year I was paying between $1000 and $1500 for short term which didn't seem too much less than what I had been paying last summer.

01softail
05-19-2010, 09:24 PM
Apos...
It is good to bring this to light,I wish I didn't have to work so much so I could get down there more,you know so I could do my part to stimulize the economy lol.Me being a bachelor all my life and no kids,really lucky,I just need more time off.

Apos
05-19-2010, 09:31 PM
You imply that chica prices are falling, just how low have they gotten lately? When I was there for the New Year I was paying between $1000 and $1500 for short term which didn't seem too much less than what I had been paying last summer.I edited my post a little but am still hearing about chicas going for 500-1000 ST but they are not thrilled about it.

A lot of guys are low balling the chicas and standing firm which is not a bad thing. I met a guy yesterday that while it's is first time here, or for mongering anywhere, he was getting chicas in the day for 1000 or less and was aiming at 500 pesos. Then again they were nasty IMO but he was really firm in his pricing. Very unusual for a newbie.

He's having other issues but seems to think that the chicas will be happy to go with a stranger, with no Spanish, for 500-1000 pesos. The problem is that the level of service, according to him, was not good and some stole from him or atl least tried.

I think most of us know that the chicas in Clasico expect 1500-2500 and some ask the moon. Chicas at Bar Central, for example, may be had for a lower price and daytime is cheaper than at night. Lots of variables but many guys seem to have clued into the fact that it's really a buyers market and are standing firm.

The chicas have bills to pay, expectations, and pride and many do not want to go for 1000 and under but more and more are...but are not happy about it...and you can see it in their faces and performance.

JuanElGriego
05-19-2010, 09:36 PM
Me being a bachelor all my life and no kids,really lucky,I just need more time off.

Do what you can to find that time, cuz time is one thing you can never get back. Money will come and go but once a day has passed it's gone forever.

It's why i look at these old dudes still working, still in business, still hustling for that extra dollar and penny-pinching .... for what?? Like my momma always told me, son, go have your fun and don't worry about anything cuz when you go the only thing you're takin' with you is that suit you gonna have on.

JuanElGriego
05-19-2010, 09:41 PM
he was getting chicas in the day for 1000 or less and was aiming at 500 pesos. Then again they were nasty IMO

So dude flew all the way to DR to low-ball and fuck ugly bitches, eh?

Sounds like a winner. :rolleyes:

SeaWeed
05-19-2010, 09:51 PM

Sounds like a winner. :rolleyes:don't get that guy either......bargain basement mongering:confused:

how many times does one go on vacation in a lifetime......usually not a whole lot.......
so why not go for the very best young Chicas you can pull.......
and if you gotta pay a few extra dollars..... it's not going to kill you.......
it is after all a vacation.......and why not spend a little money on lifes pleasures when on holiday.....
open up that dayum wallet.....fuck that beautiful young Punani....cause you only live once!

plus we all gotta do our best to stimulate the economy......lol

steviewonder
05-19-2010, 09:55 PM
I edited my post a little but am still hearing about chicas going for 500-1000 ST but they are not thrilled about it.

A lot of guys are low balling the chicas and standing firm which is not a bad thing. I met a guy yesterday that while it's is first time here, or for mongering anywhere, he was getting chicas in the day for 1000 or less and was aiming at 500 pesos. Then again they were nasty IMO but he was really firm in his pricing. Very unusual for a newbie.

He's having other issues but seems to think that the chicas will be happy to go with a stranger, with no Spanish, for 500-1000 pesos. The problem is that the level of service, according to him, was not good and some stole from him or atl least tried.

I think most of us know that the chicas in Clasico expect 1500-2500 and some ask the moon. Chicas at Bar Central, for example, may be had for a lower price and daytime is cheaper than at night. Lots of variables but many guys seem to have clued into the fact that it's really a buyers market and are standing firm.

The chicas have bills to pay, expectations, and pride and many do not want to go for 1000 and under but more and more are...but are not happy about it...and you can see it in their faces and performance.

Someone should print out menus w/ prices and hand then out in the discos and the streets of Sosua posting what every guy can monger for now. Especially if prices are rolling down like Wal-Mart! :rofl:

tomgueguen
05-19-2010, 09:58 PM
I edited my post a little but am still hearing about chicas going for 500-1000 ST but they are not thrilled about it.

On my recent trip in DR , 2 weeks ago, I had 4 girls:

#1 - 2 AM to 11 AM - 3 shoots: 1000 + 150 tip
#2 - 5 PM to 9 PM - 1 shoot, no rush : 1000 + 200 tip
#3 - 2 AM to 4 AM - 1 shoot : 1000 + 150 tip

Price has not been discussed before except for #1 who ask me once in the the edge of the bed "how much are you going to give me?"

#1 & #3 were unknown, #2 was a repeat.

#4, which is a repeat, ask me 2000 for 2 AM to 2PM, 1000 the 2nd night, nothing the third...

gdogg
05-19-2010, 09:58 PM

Some people like fishing, some like roller coasters, others like bargaining hard for cheap choca. I guess it takes all kinds.

Apos
05-19-2010, 09:59 PM
If only it was that simple.

Have 10 different guys approach the same chica...or not.

3 won't be interested at all, 1 or 2 will get a nice low price, 4 will get quoted 3000 pesos or more, 2 or 3 will get quoted and/or agree to 2000 pesos.

Of the perhaps 4 that go with her; 1 will want to marry her, 2 will have a decent time, 1 or 2 might want to repeat and the other guy will think she's a starfish....opinions vary and YMMV :rolleyes::rofl:

Someone should print out menus w/ prices and hand then out in the discos and the streets of Sosua posting what every guy can monger for now. Especially if prices are rolling down like Wal-Mart! :rofl:

gdogg
05-19-2010, 10:01 PM

3 won't be interested at all, 1 or 2 will get a nice low price, 4 will get quoted 3000 pesos or more, 2 or 3 will get quoted and/or agree to 2000 pesos. Of the perhaps 4 that go with her; 1 will want to marry her, 2 will have a decent time, 1 or 2 might want to repeat and the other guy will think she's a starfish....opinions vary and YMMV :rolleyes::rofl:

It's called chemistry. Doesn't matter if the chica is a pro, she's still biologically a female.

Apos
05-19-2010, 10:03 PM
yup, woman first....
It's called chemistry. Doesn't matter if the chica is a pro, she's still biologically a female....and all guys are not created equal either.

I really enjoy sitting on the sidelines and watching the drama. :lol:

mikelodge
05-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Glad you asked! :rolleyes::lol:

We've been discussing it around here for a few weeks. The general consensus seems to be that it's the sum of all the silly shit that's been happening around the world and the ramifications of them. From the housing/bank collapse that started in the US, currency devaluation, changing patterns/destinations of Europeans, Airline changes like mergers and bankruptcies resulting in higher airfare, reduced flights/charters and the general hassle of air travel, thank you 911 :rolleyes:. Factor in Greece, the volcanic ash bullshit and the influx of refugees due to the earthquake in Haiti and all of a sudden Sosua and the DR, outside perhaps of Punta Cana, is not such a popular vacation spot anymore.

This results in much lower volume of tourists and tourist $$$ and except for those niche hotels like the NG, Rocky's and places like the Sea Breeze and the newcomer Terra Linda many hotels and restaurants are having their worst year in a decade or more. If you're not a "destination" then your business is likely cripplingly low right now.

Passions seems busy by all accounts and is expanding yet again. Terra Linda was just built and is often at or close to capacity and has enough of the opening jitters worked out to be quite popular.

Many AI's are "closed for renovations" and will probably remain so until things come around again....but I would not hold your breathe. Perhaps in 2-5 years, assuming things worldwide don't get much worse, and maybe we'll see an influx of tourists again. Then again Dominicans do seem to have a way of fucking things up for tourism and for expats doing business here. Just look at airline ticket taxes and how difficult it is to get even seemingly simple things accomplished...."It's a great place to visit but,....." jejejejeje! :rofl:

Very well said and perhaps add to that all the increased violence that has plagued the tourist areas of the North Coast as well as the entire DR.

Combine that with Stupid Laws like throwing someone in a car accident where serious injury occurs into a Mandatory Jail Incarceration. With incidents posted of being thrown in cells with naked men in dangerously hot conditions where tourists could be in potential life threatening situations with no air movement and temperatures topping 100 degrees with no water. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::icontd:

Corrupt cops and law enforcement stories of shaking down people for bribes doesn't help either.

Oh I almost forgot did Sea Breeze get safes installed yet or do they still have those funny little locking letter boxes screwed down to a table???? :p:wink:

All these things will hopefully drive whore prices down perhaps 50% I hope.

On a side note American Airlines just started Non Stop service from Dallas DFW to San Salvador where $10 whores are available and $50 would buy the top shelf ones. My minister friend's church is doing some ministry there and he told me. :lol:

snoozer
05-19-2010, 10:16 PM

Just what I thought, anyone can get the dregs for 500 a shot.

I was talkng to a chica friend last night and we were discussing how all these chicas make ends meet when there was less than 20 gringos in the Merengue Bar last night. Most of those 20 were not buying, like me, they stopped in for a drink, and enjoyed the scenery.

snoozer
05-19-2010, 10:24 PM
On a side note American Airlines just started Non Stop service from Dallas DFW to San Salvador where $10 whores are available and $50 would buy the top shelf ones. My minister friend's church is doing some ministry there and he told me. :lol:

Told you about the new flights or the $10 blowjobs

FritoBandito
05-19-2010, 10:46 PM
With the Euro losing ground in value, Europeans are getting the vacation value they were a year ago... it's costing them more money.

As far as plane prices going up, I'm paying almost $150 more for my ticket in July '10 than I did in March '10, which is BS because, if anything prices should go down in the summer because it's the slow season. Then factor in the charge for "checked-in bags" that many airlines are charging now. That cost me an extra $100 , not counting the plane ticket, than it did last year.

American Air charges a fee for the checked-in bags for travel in the US states and territories and checked-in baggage to Carribean destinations and other places is free. I heard they're going to change soon that so they charge a baggage fee to there, too. So in addition to my plane ticket, I'll be paying $200 more in luggage fees....:protest::protest::protest::protest::protest::protest:

FritoBandito
05-19-2010, 10:52 PM
Uh-oh, I mean to say Europeans AREN"T getting the value now that they did a year ago....here's why:

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/may/18/dollar-hits-another-4-year-high-vs-euro/

mikelodge
05-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Told you about the new flights or the $10 blowjobs

Excellent-- He is a old friend of mine from the days when he partied like a rock star before his current wife showed him a new life with Jesus. He was ordained a minister just a few years ago, and yes the wife is very hot, so he and I are still good friends and privately we speak openly.

He told me that the church like many MN Christian churches have had member go to countries like Ghana, El Salvador, Guatamala ect on ministries to bring hunanitarian aid and religious stuff.

He said at the shelter they were at there in El Salvador that street workers confessed to selling there bodies for about 10 bucks for ST. I asked for pics but then he cut me off. :rofl:

woody514
05-19-2010, 10:59 PM
I would go with your 2nd thought.

Mongers, on average, tend to be single guys and have more disposable income and time to get away than married men. At worst, the economy will have him making 3 trips a year instead of his usual 4.

It's the couples destinations that are gonna feel it the worst.

Even a place like Sosua, since i started going there about 5 years ago when the economy was great, i now see just as many, if not more, mongers than i did back then. What i don't see is all the families i remember on Sosua beach anymore.
Some travel agencies are telling families not to go to Sosua. A Newark, Delaware travel agency told a friend of mine , that his wife and children would exposed daily to open prostitution and, that his 17 year old twin daughters might be approached by " traveling Johns ". So they are steering everyone to Punt Cana ,or Lifestyles Resort in Puerto Plata. It makes one wonder what is being said at the "Travelers Agent "conferences and in their internal newsletters, about Sosua.

PapiQueRico
05-19-2010, 11:02 PM
[/yellow]
Some travel agencies are telling families not to go to Sosua. A Newark, Delaware travel agency told a friend of mine , that his wife and children would exposed daily to open prostitution and, that his 17 year old twin daughters might be approached by " traveling Johns ". So they are steering everyone to Punt Cana ,or Lifestyles Resort in Puerto Plata. It makes one wonder what is being said at the "Travelers Agent "conferences and in their internal newsletters, about Sosua.

I don't know. maybe the truth? :corky:

continentalmike
05-20-2010, 03:58 AM
yup, woman first.......and all guys are not created equal either.

I really enjoy sitting on the sidelines and watching the drama. :lol:

Yes you do, especially their faces :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

continentalmike
05-20-2010, 04:03 AM
Most girls I've met have difficulty making rent payments.... some leave otwn because they can't make enough money anymore

I guess the economic reality will slowly trickle down to the chicaplaces where rent must drop for the chicas to have an economically viable chance.

Then chicaprices will go down to a more realistic level again, while still allowing everyone a living.

Mr Hillbilly
05-20-2010, 09:26 AM
Do what you can to find that time, cuz time is one thing you can never get back. Money will come and go but once a day has passed it's gone forever.

It's why i look at these old dudes still working, still in business, still hustling for that extra dollar and penny-pinching .... for what?? Like my momma always told me, son, go have your fun and don't worry about anything cuz when you go the only thing you're takin' with you is that suit you gonna have on.
I got a friend who is rich I ride him contiuously for being a cheap cocksucker even told him I would shoot myself before I lived like he does. He is 63 ish. I think he has finally relized he is not taking his money with him when he dies or he is getting tired of me calling him cheapest fucker I have ever met online. But he is changing a little.

Mr Hillbilly
05-20-2010, 09:27 AM
One thing too Darcy is airfare has been going up alot where I live it hasn't curbed my travel plans yet but if they go higher it will.

husl2001
05-20-2010, 10:12 AM
I got a friend who is rich I ride him contiuously for being a cheap cocksucker even told him I would shoot myself before I lived like he does. He is 63 ish. I think he has finally relized he is not taking his money with him when he dies or he is getting tired of me calling him cheapest fucker I have ever met online. But he is changing a little.

I thought Weyland was over 63? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Just kidding. Haven't properly met Weyland, though I've seen him around a few times. Looks like a pretty cool, very interesting guy. He's certainly contributed substantially to this board.

Beads
05-20-2010, 11:27 AM
Im not sure where everyone is complaining about the airfares because they seem similar to last year for east coast fliers and there are plenty of cheap last minute flight deals in the last few weeks.

The airlines definitely have added tons of hidden and extra fees but there are bargains to be found. Less people have money to travel and those planes arent filling up with high paying travelers.

Malo
05-20-2010, 11:36 AM

3 won't be interested at all, 1 or 2 will get a nice low price, 4 will get quoted 3000 pesos or more, 2 or 3 will get quoted and/or agree to 2000 pesos.

Of the perhaps 4 that go with her; 1 will want to marry her, 2 will have a decent time, 1 or 2 might want to repeat and the other guy will think she's a starfish....opinions vary and YMMV :rolleyes::rofl:

For every chica that has 10 guys interested, there are 10 chicas that no one really wants.

Hunter
05-20-2010, 11:40 AM
What Apos is saying is Sosua cant survive on just mongers.....

So New Garden and Peter have ruined the Sousua economy.....Time to clean up the whole place and close all the whorehouses and arrest all the hookers :eek::eek::p:p

Malo
05-20-2010, 11:44 AM

So New Garden and Peter have ruined the Sousua economy.....Time to clean up the whole place and close all the whorehouses and arrest all the hookers :eek::eek::p:p

Sosua only survives on mongers, ex pats that came there to be with 20 year olds. The AIs are mostly in Puerto Plata.

Apos
05-20-2010, 11:52 AM
You just kidding, right. :rolleyes:

So New Garden and Peter have ruined the Sousua economy.....Time to clean up the whole place and close all the whorehouses and arrest all the hookers :eek::eek::p:pI only like it when a hot chica puts something in my mouth...:p:rofl:

On a more serious note it seems that it takes more than just mongers to have a thriving economy. Sosua has been practically dead the last 2 or 3 months and not much better the preceding 3 months. When the beach is all but empty on both Saturdays and Sundays it's a pretty good indicator of how things are. If that's not enough have a look in the restaurants between 6-9 when most people eat....almost nowhere is full or even close to full.

What I'm actually saying is that for the most part only places that cater to single guys are doing well and that the rest of the local economy seems to be in real trouble. If most of the bars and restaurants close how many guys will bother to come...I know I'd have to rethink my plans in that case.

Malo
05-20-2010, 11:53 AM
Hunter has too much time on his hands and just came back from Negril. He thinks Sosua can be another Negril.

Hunter
05-20-2010, 11:55 AM
You just kidding, right. :rolleyes:I only like it when a hot chica puts something in my mouth...:p:rofl:

I wasnt... I based that on your original post... and JEG says he sees a lot less families in sosua now....

JEG says he sees even more mongers now but you said everyone is hurting...thus my conclusion Sosua cant survive on just mongers....

Malo
05-20-2010, 11:56 AM
I wasnt... I based that on your original post... and JEG says he sees a lot less families in sosua now....

JEG says he sees even more mongers now but you said everyone is hurting...thus my conclusion Sosua cant survive on just mongers....

There is a major recession and many two earner families are down to one earner. A family vacation is not high on the to do list.

Malo
05-20-2010, 11:59 AM

Maybe he actually likes ugly ones?

Apos
05-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Cool, and I agree.

It's going to get a lot worse before it gets better, if it ever does.

Malo
05-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Cool, and I agree.

It's going to get a lot worse before it gets better, if it ever does.

Ever does what, get better? Taxes are hurting DR travel. If I was going on a family vacation, I would choose Jamaica.

Apos
05-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Almost everyone I know has chosen Cuba for at least the last 6 months with 2 going to Punta Cana and 1 to a resort in Puerto Plata...they never left the resort!
Ever does what, get better? Taxes are hurting DR travel. If I was going on a family vacation, I would choose Jamaica.
I don't do family vacations and Thailand, the Philippines, El salvador and Nicaragua are all calling my name! ;):wink::corky:

Malo
05-20-2010, 12:07 PM
Almost everyone I know has chosen Cuba for at least the last 6 months with 2 going to Punta Cana and 1 to a resort in Puerto Plata...they never left the resort!
I don't do family vacations and Thailand, the Philippines, El salvador and Nicaragua are all calling my name! ;):wink::corky:

He said Sosua can't survive on mongers and I said there are better places for families to go.

Malo
05-20-2010, 12:08 PM
El salvador and Nicaragua are all calling my name! ;):wink::corky:

Those two places are on my large list.

JuanElGriego
05-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Those two places are on my large list.

Jesus, you guys either have a death wish or a fetish for shit holes!!

I've worked 10 years with a guy from Nicaragua and next door to us is a guy from El Salvador. Even they would rather go elsewhere. :rofl:

JuanElGriego
05-20-2010, 12:19 PM
When the beach is all but empty on both Saturdays and Sundays it's a pretty good indicator of how things are.

I'm supposed to be coming in a month and you're really not helping. :rolleyes:

Malo
05-20-2010, 12:22 PM

I've worked 10 years with a guy from Nicaragua and next door to us is a guy from El Salvador. Even they would rather go elsewhere. :rofl:

And Dominicans want to be anywhere but DR. Salvadorian chicas are so "HOT"

Apos
05-20-2010, 12:26 PM
I have friends from or in both...Colombia too :rolleyes:

Malo
05-20-2010, 12:27 PM

Medellin is safe if you stay away from the bad areas.

Apos
05-20-2010, 12:29 PM
Cali o nada :eek::lol:

Malo
05-20-2010, 12:31 PM
Cali o nada :eek::lol:

I hear that there are problems there and I have plenty to do in the Meddy Metro area.

mikelodge
05-20-2010, 12:33 PM

There are some beautiful places there and Managua has alot of action. I even took girls for TLN to the Crown Plaza which I got for a really good deal like a hundred bucks for luxury. Just put down 2 when you reserve and it is the same price since it isn't a AI.

I go to San Juan Del Sur and it is beautiful and beautifully cheap. :lol:

http://www.sanjuandelsurguide.com/

Beads
05-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Sosua even during the daytime isnt what a lot of people consider family oriented. While some things are accepted in different parts of the world your average US parent would not want their children seeing the goings on in Sosua during the day and most definitely not during the night.

Im sure any family oriented businesses in Sosua have had a major decline in business in the past few years.

Malo
05-20-2010, 12:34 PM
There are some beautiful places there and Managua has alot of action. I even took girls for TLN to the Crown Plaza which I got for a really good deal like a hundred bucks for luxury. Just put down 2 when you reserve and it is the same price since it isn't a AI.

Sign me up.

mikelodge
05-20-2010, 12:39 PM
Sosua even during the daytime isnt what a lot of people consider family oriented. While some things are accepted in different parts of the world your average US parent would not want their children seeing the goings on in Sosua during the day and most definitely not during the night.

Im sure any family oriented businesses in Sosua have had a major decline in business in the past few years.

That reminds me of a post on DR1 (which I haven't been on in months) about some people dining at the Waterfront and posting that they had to finish up and get out of there by 9 or so when the scum bags move in and criminals or something like that.

If the economy is that bad they must be buzzing or should I say whining and complaining over there on that site. Which is why I don't read it much.

Everything did seem quiet when I was there the end of March and early April which even though it was only 6-7 weeks ago seems like many months :lol:

JuanElGriego
05-20-2010, 12:44 PM

I guess you guys are right, if you really take the time out to do your homework you can find good spots to hit even in the crappiest countries.

Beads
05-20-2010, 12:59 PM
What I saw recently ( I will go into more detail shortly) was the slowest time I have ever seen in Sosua. Some places which cater heavily to the mongers seemed to be doing well. NG and LaPassions seem to be thriving but everything else around town is the slowest I have ever seen.

I cant even imagine what its going to be like during the really hot months when they have what is considered the real "low season".

Hunter
05-20-2010, 01:05 PM
On top of all this the market is crashing today....

fuck me... I just want everything to be better :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Malo
05-20-2010, 01:05 PM
On top of all this the market is crashing today....

fuck me... I just want everything to be better :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It goes up, it goes down. All good.

Apos
05-20-2010, 01:07 PM
BINGO!

I'm very interested to hear your take on things, it sounds like we're seeing and hearing similar things.
What I saw recently ( I will go into more detail shortly) was the slowest time I have ever seen in Sosua. Some places which cater heavily to the mongers seemed to be doing well. NG and LaPassions seem to be thriving but everything else around town is the slowest I have ever seen.

I cant even imagine what its going to be like during the really hot months when they have what is considered the real "low season".

PapiQueRico
05-20-2010, 01:27 PM
So what's the deal? We get such conflicting reports. I've heard that things are slllloooowwww which should mean downward pressure on prices. I've also heard that any relatively hot chica is being wifed up at high prices for days on end.

WTF?

Well, I just booked my Thanksgiving trip. I know more or less what the prices will be in MDE. The miles were the same as DR and the taxes half. Y'all can keep Pedro and La Passions! I'm off to Paisaville!!!

Seriously, because the trip is short (five days) I was thinking about Sosua, but forget it. The flights came out cheaper and due to the timing of the flights I have as much time on the ground as if I flew to POP. I leave early Thurday morning and land in MDE before 1:00. On the way back my flight is at 6:30 PM. Plenty of time for a lot of casa visits on the last day!!!

JuanElGriego
05-20-2010, 02:14 PM
So what's the deal? We get such conflicting reports. I've heard that things are slllloooowwww which should mean downward pressure on prices. I've also heard that any relatively hot chica is being wifed up at high prices for days on end.

WTF?

What seems to be going on with the hoes down there is the same thing that's happening with the general population across the globe in this recession .... the middle class is getting hit hardest.

Let me explain ... just like the rich are still doing fine, the hottest chicas down there still get the big dollars simply because they're hot and the guy that wants a legit '9' is gonna pay for it, plain and simple. 3000+ TLN.

But just like the economy has the middle-class hit hardest with layoffs and lower wages, it's the middle-class (in terms of looks) hoes feeling it the worst. Whereas before they'd get 2000-2500 TLN, the offers are now coming in at 1000-1500, take it or leave it. Some take it, many leave it, just like some workers take that lower paying job they wish they didn't need while others refuse to work for half of what they did a couple years ago.

As for the lower end hoes, this situation might actually be a boon for them, kinda like shoe repair shops have seen a boom cuz people are paying for repairs rather than buying new shoes. If guys are sticking to 1500 TLN and not enough '7's are taking it, that's more offers for '5's that they're more than happy to jump on and it's no secret there's plenty dudes who choose a less-attractive chica over 500 pesos.

Well, I just booked my Thanksgiving trip. I know more or less what the prices will be in MDE. The miles were the same as DR and the taxes half. Y'all can keep Pedro and La Passions! I'm off to Paisaville!!!

Seriously, because the trip is short (five days) I was thinking about Sosua, but forget it. The flights came out cheaper and due to the timing of the flights I have as much time on the ground as if I flew to POP. I leave early Thurday morning and land in MDE before 1:00. On the way back my flight is at 6:30 PM. Plenty of time for a lot of casa visits on the last day!!!

What did yours cost? Dates im looking at for DR are $430 tax incl.

Seņor Jimmy of Medellin
05-20-2010, 02:15 PM
What seems to be going on with the hoes down there is the same thing that's happening with the general population across the globe in this recession .... the middle class is getting hit hardest.

Let me explain ... just like the rich are still doing fine, the hottest chicas down there still get the big dollars simply because they're hot and the guy that wants a legit '9' is gonna pay for it, plain and simple. 3000+ TLN.

But just like the economy has the middle-class hit hardest with layoffs and lower wages, it's the middle-class (in terms of looks) hoes feeling it the worst. Whereas before they'd get 2000-2500 TLN, the offers are now coming in at 1000-1500, take it or leave it. Some take it, many leave it, just like some workers take that lower paying job they wish they didn't need while others refuse to work for half of what they did a couple years ago.

As for the lower end hoes, this situation might actually be a boon for them, kinda like shoe repair shops have seen a boom cuz people are paying for repairs rather than buying new shoes. If guys are sticking to 1500 TLN and not enough '7's are taking it, that's more offers for '5's that they're more than happy to jump on and it's no secret there's plenty dudes who choose a less-attractive chica over 500 pesos.

He just wants to really go to Medellin.

PapiQueRico
05-20-2010, 02:54 PM

My dates are not flexible and I was looking at over $560 to POP (American Airlines). With my short time I was not interesteds in wasting time to/from STI.

Reward travel (Continental FF plan, flights on Copa)will be 35,000 miles and $64 to MDE.

I just rechecked and the taxes to POP are only $94 (I thought they were higher) but I'd have to cut the trip a day and pay 52,500 in miles becaue of lack of normal reward space on the return, and no service on the specific day I want to travel.

Mr. Smooth
05-20-2010, 03:18 PM
That reminds me of a post on DR1 (which I haven't been on in months) about some people dining at the Waterfront and posting that they had to finish up and get out of there by 9 or so when the scum bags move in and criminals or something like that.

If the economy is that bad they must be buzzing or should I say whining and complaining over there on that site. Which is why I don't read it much.

Everything did seem quiet when I was there the end of March and early April which even though it was only 6-7 weeks ago seems like many months :lol:
I took a chica to dinner at the Waterfront when I was there in early March. Including us, I counted a total of 9 people spread over 4 tables. The wait staff spent all evening just standing around and talking amongst themselves while eyeballing the tables just waiting to be of service to anyone. Very slow night for them.

Except for the main drag of Pedro, Sosua was more quiet than any other time since I have been going. Lou's Shark Bar never had more than a few people in it at any time I walked past, the bars around and near The Europa were practically begging for gringos.

Other than slipping into Passions once and going to the Cuba Libre for yayows birthday, that end of town was pretty devoid of tourists/mongers. I do like that area as a change from the usual spots, and support those bars, but the lack of action in March I would think doesn't bode well for when I get back next month. I hope I'm wrong.

SeaWeed
05-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Hunter has too much time on his hands and just came back from Negril. He thinks Sosua can be another Negril.
maybe him did something to himself when he jumped from high up on the Cliffs at Ricks Cafe in Negril:rofl::rofl:

SeaWeed
05-20-2010, 04:21 PM
in Sosua the monger is in the majority.......
in Negril the monger is in the minority.....

if I was with family or other couples I wouldn't ever go to Sosua in a million years......
if I was with family or other couples I would definitely go to Negril......

right now these two places are two totally different destinations.......
and I think in order for Sosua to survive, it needs to diversify and reinvent itself....

Negril is perfect example of a beautiful destination with couple and families where you can have a great time mongering.......

and Negril is much more likely to survive and prosper than Sosua because of this diversification.....

back in the 90's Boca Chica was the place to monger and business was hopping.....now it's hit a wall ....
which could very well become the new outcome for Sosua........the two places aren't much different.....
and at least Boca Chica has the capital nearby......what is nearby to Sosua....not much

husl2001
05-20-2010, 04:49 PM

So is Afghanistan. ;)

SrSuerte
05-20-2010, 04:55 PM
I guess you guys are right, if you really take the time out to do your homework you can find good spots to hit even in the crappiest countries.

As I was going though the thread I was just smiling saying that you really dont know what you are missing. I lived in Honduras for two years and I hit all of those countries. Shit holes but the women were on point! And lets not talk about Guatamala City! The hoes there can match the ones in Colombia! They have women from all over working there.

Oooops! That was a thread jack!

Apos
05-20-2010, 05:01 PM
...and at least Boca Chica has the capital nearby......what is nearby to Sosua....not much

I must respectfully disagree...

Puerto Plata is about 1/2 hour away and it's the 3rd largest city in the DR.
Santiago is about 1.5 hours away and is the 2nd largest city. I suspect that a lot more people from Santiago come to Sosua on the weekends than most people realize and perhaps more than the numbers coming from Santo Domingo to Boca Chica. A large percentage of people working in Sosua, from those that I speak with, claim to live in Puerto Plata.

It's not like we're talking about Azua or Barahona...Sousa is plenty central and close to many cities and other larger towns. Pretty much everyone realizes that Boca Chica is a dump and people from the Capital seem to go to other places to cool off on the weekends. There are plenty of lesser know, to us, beaches and rivers that are really popular.

mikelodge
05-20-2010, 05:05 PM
So is Afghanistan. ;)

I won't get any better after today either. The Stock Market was down like 360 points -- over 3% in one day.

We need to legalize everything within reason here in the USA and tax it to death.

afroski
05-20-2010, 05:24 PM
If Sosua is having some hard times is it really because of the world economy or is Sosua its own worst enemy? Just go down the road a bit to Cabarete and it has a lot more to offer. In my opinion its more upscale, has a much longer and better beach, and the night life and dining is better than Sosua's. I wonder if Caberate is having as hard a time as Sosua.

To me Sosua is more personable and has a more neighborhood/community feel to it, which is why I like coming to Sosua, but Cabarete is much more diverse in its tourists. The way Rocko described Negril is how I would describe Cabarete and its only a couple of kilometers down the road from Sosua.

And there is still some good mongering to be had in Cabarete.

Apos
05-20-2010, 05:40 PM
I am, generally, rarely in Cabarete but a week or so ago I was there, and passing through, many times. The beach was very slow and the streets pretty much empty of gringos.

According to friends that go there a lot Cabarete is also really suffering from a lack of tourists. The terrible traffic on the only main/through road is crippling and deters a lot of casual visitors...and almost everything is incredibly expensive compared to Sosua which is already horribly overpriced compared to non-tourist towns and cities.

I doubt that Cabarete is any better off and perhaps not as well off as Sosua when all factors are accounted for, although many, perhaps uninformed or infrequent visitors, may think differently. There is/has been a lot of new construction planned for and started, but that could be said for Sosua to some extent as well.

All I know from a few casual visits is that it's not anywhere as busy and vibrant as I remember it from years past.

afroski
05-20-2010, 06:01 PM
I am, generally, rarely in Cabarete but a week or so ago I was there, and passing through, many times. The beach was very slow and the streets pretty much empty of gringos.

According to friends that go there a lot Cabarete is also really suffering from a lack of tourists. The terrible traffic on the only main/through road is crippling and deters a lot of casual visitors...and almost everything is incredibly expensive compared to Sosua which is already horribly overpriced compared to non-tourist towns and cities.

I doubt that Cabarete is any better off and perhaps not as well off as Sosua when all factors are accounted for, although many, perhaps uninformed or infrequent visitors, may think differently. There is/has been a lot of new construction planned for and started, but that could be said for Sosua to some extent as well.

All I know from a few casual visits is that it's not anywhere as busy and vibrant as I remember it from years past.

I am an infrequent visitor(only 5 times in the last 12 months) and am usually there only during American holidays which may cause me to see more tourists than are normally there.

So is Sosua on its way out and will it end up like Boca Chica?

And from you guys who are there on the ground full time what would be your 2nd and 3rd choices for mongering in the DR other than Sosua?

Beads
05-20-2010, 07:06 PM

I would say this is pretty close to what I saw. Whats skews the payscale though is that everyone has different tastes. This makes some chicas feel their value is much higher (which it might be for some people and not for others) and also throw in the weekend warriors who still come but in MUCH fewer numbers who speak NO Spanish and will be limited to those chicas who they can communicate with if they want any sort of conversation.

A very funny moment was watching a group of 3 weekend warriors first get spoken to by the local tour guides in front of Merengue Bar. They said they didnt need any help and werent giving them any money.

I then watched them trying to speak to chicas they obviously could not communicate with and were more interested in showing off how much money they had and they were in control than anything else.

Of course they were being told by every chica $100US. The chicas they were all talking to were making fun of them and telling each other to make sure they get $100US if they go with them. They obviously understood no Spanish at all.

WickedWillie
05-20-2010, 07:53 PM
If Sosua is having some hard times is it really because of the world economy or is Sosua its own worst enemy? Just go down the road a bit to Cabarete and it has a lot more to offer. In my opinion its more upscale, has a much longer and better beach, and the night life and dining is better than Sosua's. I wonder if Caberate is having as hard a time as Sosua.
To me Sosua is more personable and has a more neighborhood/community feel to it, which is why I like coming to Sosua, but Cabarete is much more diverse in its tourists. The way Rocko described Negril is how I would describe Cabarete and its only a couple of kilometers down the road from Sosua.

And there is still some good mongering to be had in Cabarete.

The short answer is yes, Cabarete business that caters to tourists is suffering as well.

The 2 biggest problems Cabarete has is that in the last few years over 1,000 hotel beds have been lost with the condo-isation of Cabarete and the beach restaurants charge higher than average prices.

I think there are more snowbird type residents, 3-6 month stays, now in Cabarete than Sosua.

They and the cheap-ass surfer dudes now stay in condo's and eat/drink at home instead of heading out to dine on the beach.

I have rental condos in Cabarete and whilst my occupancy rates are not down at all, my guests just are not going out as perhaps they might have in previous visits.

Oh yeah and the mongering is good too!!!

Malo
05-21-2010, 09:40 AM
maybe him did something to himself when he jumped from high up on the Cliffs at Ricks Cafe in Negril:rofl::rofl:

You mean he hit his head again? No, not again.

Malo
05-21-2010, 09:42 AM
I must respectfully disagree...

Puerto Plata is about 1/2 hour away and it's the 3rd largest city in the DR.
Santiago is about 1.5 hours away and is the 2nd largest city. I suspect that a lot more people from Santiago come to Sosua on the weekends than most people realize and perhaps more than the numbers coming from Santo Domingo to Boca Chica. A large percentage of people working in Sosua, from those that I speak with, claim to live in Puerto Plata.

It's not like we're talking about Azua or Barahona...Sousa is plenty central and close to many cities and other larger towns. Pretty much everyone realizes that Boca Chica is a dump and people from the Capital seem to go to other places to cool off on the weekends. There are plenty of lesser know, to us, beaches and rivers that are really popular.

There is actually plenty to do all over the North Coast and unlike many other larger countries, you can drive to the Capital within 4 hours if you want to.

Apos
05-21-2010, 04:38 PM
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?p=764215#post764215

Things that i like about Sosua...what are YOUR favourite things?