PDA

View Full Version : Meet and Greet on the beach? (Start arriving as early as 10am)

Apos
05-21-2010, 01:47 PM
There should be a day at the beach.

If there is an interest I will approach either of these guys to see what's up.
If you prefer a different beach restaurant please suggest it as well.

Please suggest a date and we could meet about 1:00 for lunch?

Muchos Garcia, jejeje :rolleyes::lol:

Agreed, how about Aris #67? He's a great guy and will accommodate us no problem, the location is excellent, right by the centre stairs (and right beside the old shark bar location), the food is excellent and well priced and he has a beach chair/umbrella connection too!

In fact he just remodelled the place and made a much larger indoor space as well as all the outside tables. It's one of my favourite restaurants on the beach!

Alternatively Mofongo King which is #68, I think, and just across the lane-way to the centre stairs.

The owner/manager is cool, the food is great, location also perfect and they have their own beach chairs too. :corky:

Another fav place on the beach!

Meet and greet at Rocky's too! :D
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?t=274311

Malo
05-21-2010, 01:49 PM
You could camp out and both stalls will bring the food to the group.

JD426
05-21-2010, 01:51 PM
how about setting it up as a poll. and people can pick ALL(multiple) dates which are good for them. The day with the MOST votes can then be considered as the day ?
just a thought.

Malo
05-21-2010, 01:54 PM
how about setting it up as a poll. and people can pick ALL(multiple) dates which are good for them. The day with the MOST votes can then be considered as the day ?
just a thought.

There are a lot of new guys joining in that really don't care where or when as long as they are around and can be there.

What are the choices for the beach, list say 5?

They can be rotated as well.

Apos
05-21-2010, 02:12 PM
A generous mod/jimmy would have to change this to a poll...please and the other thread for Rocky's for dates too :)

Honestly IMO there are not that many good restaurants on the beach that could handle our crowd AND have proper seating.

I'd suggest Big D's, Aris#67 and Mofongo King as the top 3...any other suggestions or perhaps the poll will be a write in :D

Malo
05-21-2010, 02:15 PM
A generous mod/jimmy would have to change this to a poll...please and the other thread for Rocky's for dates too :)

Honestly IMO there are not that many good restaurants on the beach that could handle our crowd AND have proper seating.

I'd suggest Big D's, Aris#67 and Mofongo King as the top 3...any other suggestions or perhaps the poll will be a write in :D

Like I had said before, you guys can set up camp between Mofongo and Aris, and all these stalls will bring you food. Start arriving after 10am and I believe you can hang around to 6 or so.

Eat when ever you want, or just snack and drink all day?

husl2001
05-21-2010, 02:27 PM
There are a lot of new guys joining in that really don't care where or when as long as they are around and can be there.

What are the choices for the beach, list say 5?

They can be rotated as well.

A poll without Big D's is an incomplete poll.

Apos
05-21-2010, 02:29 PM
AGREED!!! :D

JD426
05-21-2010, 02:41 PM
Once even a small group gathers, it will immediately gain momentum.
People love to gather esp around good FOOD, add familiar faces and you got a party. The chicas will also naturally gravitate to it like a magnet.
All u need is a set time and a place.

Malo
05-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Once even a small group gathers, it will immediately gain momentum.
People love to gather esp around good FOOD, add familiar faces and you got a party. The chicas will also naturally gravitate to it like a magnet.
All u need is a set time and a place.

The time is, anytime after 10am. Find out about other great spots in DR, make new friends and create some off the hook times.

runmemphis
05-21-2010, 04:01 PM
A,
Their is a large group of ISOC'ers rolling into Sosua beginning this weekend and continuing into June. I would love to be a part of a planned get together! If not, hopefully I will run into you at Rockys or out and about town.

Apos
05-21-2010, 05:05 PM
A,
Their is a large group of ISOC'ers rolling into Sosua beginning this weekend and continuing into June. I would love to be a part of a planned get together! If not, hopefully I will run into you at Rockys or out and about town.
Thanks brother,

I'm always open to meeting ISOC guys and have had the pleasure quite a few times recently. We can ALWAYS make a party somewhere..it's just about that simple :)

Malo
05-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Its going to be cool to put some names to faces and get the lowdown on a few 100 different things. All you gotta do is just show up.

insular
05-22-2010, 09:48 AM
So, what does everyone think about a date? One thing to consider is that the New garden is having a pool party on the 29th, so I would think that wouldn't be a great day to host the event. I will be in Costumbar from May 25th and arriving in Sosua (NG) on the 29th and staying until June 1st. I am flexable and willing to go whenever the group decides. Maybe Apos can start out a date when he thinks it would be best and we can work from there.

gdogg
05-22-2010, 10:37 AM
You might as well merge the first two choices. The owners would be agreeable to this, and it makes for a great option.

Beads
05-22-2010, 10:57 AM

His food is definitely tasty and hes one of the nicest guys on the beach but his portions and pricing make it not even a consideration when I think of food.

If im going to pay that much for a meal Im eating lobster and fish not ribs and chicken.

Sorry guys but just sharing the truth so not everyone buys into the hype.

Festy
05-22-2010, 11:27 AM
I voted for Big D's but am pretty much open to anywhere on the beach. I will eat at Derrick's two locations several times during my 10-day trip so I am flexible.

husl2001
05-22-2010, 02:03 PM
His food is definitely tasty and hes one of the nicest guys on the beach but his portions and pricing make it not even a consideration when I think of food.

If im going to pay that much for a meal Im eating lobster and fish not ribs and chicken.

Actually, I think it's well worth it. Consider: A half rack of Chili's baby back ribs costs about 10 bux, or 360 pesos, not including tax.

A half rack of Derrick's larger spareribs is 375 pesos. I think that's the "all in" price, but even if he adds taxes, it's about the same.

At Chili's you get a great view of other booths and - if you're lucky - the game on TV. At Big D's you get to alternate between Sosua Beach/Bay and all the - largely available - eye candy you can stand.

In light of the fact you can easily pay upwards of 30 bux for ok ribs in Cabarete at Jose O'Shays, I think D has a very nice deal going. So much so that my wingmen typically order 2-3 racks and 2-3 chickens per visit, and take the leftovers back to the villa for when we get the late night munchies. :p:p

Ram
05-22-2010, 02:50 PM

I dunno, ribs are a premium in the DR.....I get up many mornings and skip breakfast just to have some of those ribs. I don't mind paying a bit more for food that makes me drool just thinking about it.

snoozer
05-22-2010, 03:17 PM
I dunno, ribs are a premium in the DR.....I get up many mornings and skip breakfast just to have some of those ribs. I don't mind paying a bit more for food that makes me drool just thinking about it.

Just pick a date, place and time. If people are interested they will show up.

Beads
05-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Actually, I think it's well worth it. Consider: A half rack of Chili's baby back ribs costs about 10 bux, or 360 pesos, not including tax.

A half rack of Derrick's larger spareribs is 375 pesos. I think that's the "all in" price, but even if he adds taxes, it's about the same.

At Chili's you get a great view of other booths and - if you're lucky - the game on TV. At Big D's you get to alternate between Sosua Beach/Bay and all the - largely available - eye candy you can stand.

In light of the fact you can easily pay upwards of 30 bux for ok ribs in Cabarete at Jose O'Shays, I think D has a very nice deal going. So much so that my wingmen typically order 2-3 racks and 2-3 chickens per visit, and take the leftovers back to the villa for when we get the late night munchies. :p:p

You might want to consult his menu or maybe you get better pricing than the rest of us? His ribs I had were so tiny I almost laughed when I saw them. His chickens are smaller than you will find at the chicken stand.

Now since you want to talk prices lets compare prices right off his menu shall we...

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?t=243019&page=2

using 36.6 pesos for 1 dollar.

1/4 chicken is 150 pesos. $4.09 US
1/2 chicken is 275 pesos. $7.51 US
1 chicken is 475 pesos. $12.97 US

Now remember his chickens are very small as you will see in the pictures they fit on a normal sized beer can to cook.

And now for the ribs... which were probably 1/3 the size you get at Rockys.

3 ribs 200 pesos. $5.46 US
6 ribs 375 pesos. $10.24 US

2 ribs and 1/4 chicken 300 pesos. $8.19US

The prices speak for themselves as do the portions. Check out the other thread, the photos or look for yourself in person.

rushdog34
05-23-2010, 11:20 AM
i like this idea... too bad my trip isnt until august...

atleast twice a trip i get the wraps at big d's.. also aris spot as well... my question is who has the best fish on the beach

Malo
05-23-2010, 11:21 AM

atleast twice a trip i get the wraps at big d's.. also aris spot as well... my question is who has the best fish on the beach

This could become a weekly summer event.

Beads
05-23-2010, 11:25 AM

Lots of good fish on the beach. Ari definitely has a great grilled fish.

On Sundays I like eating the fried fish the Dominican lady sets up in the middle of beach. Youll get fed good fried fish and platanos cheap!

Malo
05-23-2010, 11:27 AM

On Sundays I like eating the fried fish the Dominican lady sets up in the middle of beach. Youll get fed good fried fish and platanos cheap!

The best fish that I ever had was in caberete talking that road down to the caves.

Mr. Smooth
05-23-2010, 02:08 PM

Beads, that is a must stop for me. I tried the food at their outdoor set up last year and it was great. The fish was among the best I have ever had....great seasoning and it just fell off the bone. I think I paid 200 or 250 pesos but don't quite remember.

Whatever, that family does it up good!

JD426
05-23-2010, 02:11 PM
Beads, that is a must stop for me. I tried the food at their outdoor set up last year and it was great. The fish was among the best I have ever had....great seasoning and it just fell off the bone. I think I paid 200 or 250 pesos but don't quite remember.

Whatever, that family does it up good!

what is approx # location ?? Is this that HUGE BUFFET style table set up ? with like 8-10 diff dishes.
It sure smelled good walking by if thats the place. Looked like mostly locals eating there.

Malo
05-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Just pick a date, place and time. If people are interested they will show up.

Looks like Big Dee is the spot.

husl2001
05-23-2010, 06:40 PM
You might want to consult his menu or maybe you get better pricing than the rest of us? His ribs I had were so tiny I almost laughed when I saw them. His chickens are smaller than you will find at the chicken stand.

Now since you want to talk prices lets compare prices right off his menu shall we...

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?t=243019&page=2

using 36.6 pesos for 1 dollar.

1/4 chicken is 150 pesos. $4.09 US
1/2 chicken is 275 pesos. $7.51 US
1 chicken is 475 pesos. $12.97 US

Now remember his chickens are very small as you will see in the pictures they fit on a normal sized beer can to cook.

And now for the ribs... which were probably 1/3 the size you get at Rockys.

3 ribs 200 pesos. $5.46 US
6 ribs 375 pesos. $10.24 US

2 ribs and 1/4 chicken 300 pesos. $8.19US

The prices speak for themselves as do the portions. Check out the other thread, the photos or look for yourself in person.

Looks like you went at a bad time. When Derrick has ever sold me anything less than a full slab, I get the bigger ribs. When he sells a slab, well you get the whole thing, including the smaller bones.

And Rocky's charges 410 pesos for 6 bones. They both have the same amount of meat, Rocky's just pushes the meat forward for presentation purposes.

But the thing is you don't like Big D's, and I do. How cool is it that we have plenty of choices in adult disneyland? :surprised:

dunedain
05-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Good choices all around, but Big D's is hard to pass up.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/106324a98baab503ad.gif (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=61219)

SeaWeed
05-23-2010, 07:58 PM
Big D is my first choice........quality not quantity.....

Mr Hillbilly
05-23-2010, 08:30 PM
4th of July Hermans or adjoining why?
Like the passing of torch like him or hate him alot of guys first time down there met up with some of the legends who took them under their wing including me. Could be just for drink then food.
Herman's is where I met Darcy,Bruce from TSM and Koki and some other friends despite never hooking up with girl there.

rushdog34
05-23-2010, 10:37 PM
ari did ask me one time if i wanted the sea bass but i passed on it... now i know not too

Mr. Smooth
05-23-2010, 10:54 PM
what is approx # location ?? Is this that HUGE BUFFET style table set up ? with like 8-10 diff dishes.
It sure smelled good walking by if thats the place. Looked like mostly locals eating there.
Yes. I walked by a few times on Sundays and finally decided to give it a shot. I have regretted not going sooner ever since. The family runs a restaurant on the beach and on Sundays they set up that table with all the fish, rice and assorted sides and anyone who cares to get a plate is welcome. A tremendous deal if you ask me. On my next trip down, if I happen to be on the beach on a Sunday, I will certainly grab a seat and dig in!