PDA

View Full Version : Rules of the Road

Don Tomas
04-22-2004, 06:34 PM
Renting a car/driving outside of the tourist towns:

Please note if you rent a car or a wannabe SUV built on a car chassis you will probably leave you oil pan somewhere along side the road, rent a real 4X4 if you plan on leaving the coast (a car is fine for PP-Sosua-Cabarete runs). We drove down roads where they just washed away and I saw potholes big enough to swallow a car.

1. Green Light means go.
2. Red Light means slow down before proceeding.
3. If the lights don't work which most of them don't, then it's every man for himself.
4. Avoid accident troubles, if you side-swipe a car run it off the road that way you don't have to stop and exchange info, saves time!
5. Passing is done on the right, left, shoulder, oncoming traffic lane, riding your bumper as if it will make you magically disappear.
6. Driving is done either on the right, left, or middle of the roadway it seems to be up to the individual driver. (I am NOT joking)
7. Signs: Not sure why the government spends the money to put up signs.
8. Lane Markings: see above about driving on which side of the road. Again more wasteful spending by the government.
9. Road Conditions: Well I actually saw a professional road crew with modern asphalt machines! Of course they were laying the layer over the existing road, no cleaning, no grating, no preparing, well you get the idea, life span will be <9 months! Most of the time it's two or more guys with shovels repairing the road freelance, drop them a few pesos when you drive by.
10. Car Conditions: I saw cars with no taillights! Now you are all saying sure so have I, but let me explain, the bulbs weren't just burned out, they were gone, the lenses were gone, just bare metal. I have seen cars in junkyards looking better then what I saw on the streets of Santiago running no less!
-Flashing Police-type Lights: Might be a police car but probably just a rolling disco car.
-Door, rear, front windows all optional.
-Ever seen 9 people in a Toyota Corolla or 22 on a Jeep. I have, I was even one of the 9!
11. Drinking & Driving: no problem
12. Drinking While Driving: no problem
13. IMPORTANT LAW: Front seat occupants have to wear their seat belt. The fine is 500RD but if you are a gringo well that changes fast. I heard one horror story of $120US & 6 hours lost for a seatbelt ticket.

Now most of this chaos I saw in Santiago and other areas not in Sosua, the tourist beach areas are more controlled.

IT IS DANGEROUS ON THOSE ROADS!!!

nomad
06-20-2004, 05:02 PM
He has obviously spent some time in the Republic. The roads and drivers are like he says.

If you want to rent a car. It is needed to have a passport or a driver license. The prices change. You can get one on the main road of Sosua. Magnum can give you an idea of prices. He rents them often.

Nomad

Babyboy31
06-20-2004, 06:01 PM
Don't forget the thorough investigation of the vehicle before and after rental. They record every sratch, ding, dent, soft tire, gas level, engine, etc.... That always made me a bit nervous.

Also no one talked about

1. The suicide motoconchos driving at night with no taillight, no headlights, and zipping across the road.

2. The publicos who stop at evry corner blocking up one side of the street.

3. In alot of areas no street lights at night, cows in the middle of the road at night time......causing you to break at a moments notice (not to mention the road kill).

4. Massive potholes all over the roads. - 4x4 is definitely required for outside tourist areas.

Don Tomas
06-20-2004, 06:05 PM
Actually was my first time for 9 days, just did a lot of traveling. Sure I went for the chicas but wanted to see the country too.

One other note, completely mind-boggling. In Santiago I would see main city streets have anywhere from 100 feet to a half mile where the roadway was gone and it was mud/rock/dirt ruts. Imagine how long it takes a finished road (which I'm sure it was at one time) to completely break up and wash away in the middle of a city without any repair. Sure I understand in the countryside but in the middle of a major city!?!

Don Tomas
07-19-2004, 02:42 PM
Found this list on another board...Personal fav is #10, it scared the shit out of me the first time I saw it.

I have written before about driving in the Dominican Republic, and I know I have been pretty critical of the way drivers here operate their vehicles. Now I must admit that I didn’t know what I was talking about. I was writing from the perspective of a person who has done a lot of driving in Canada and the United States, and knows the rules of the road in those countries. I had mistakenly accepted the myth that the D.R. has official driving laws, but nobody obeys them.

There are rules, but they are not official. They are known, through some mystic process, only to Dominican drivers and foreigners who have been here long enough to learn them. Here they are, listed in no particular order of importance.

#1. Use your horn a lot, for any reason or no reason at all. Blast the guy in front of you for stopping for a red light. In a traffic jam, lean on that horn and add all the racket you can to the general confusion. It won’t help one little bit, but you’ll have the satisfaction of making yourself heard (maybe); something like a child throwing a tantrum.

#2 Always drive at top speed. Patience is a sign of weakness.

#3. If there is a vehicle in front of you, pass it. It doesn’t matter if you have to go around it, over it, under it, or through it; you must get in front of it. Even if you are a guagua driver and you are going to pull over and stop as soon as you have passed the other vehicle.

#4. If you are a male driver, never let a female driver pass you. A real man can’t put up with that kind of nonsense.

#5. Don’t make left turns. The driver behind you will try to pass on your left while you are doing it, because God forbid he should have to slow down or stop while you make your turn. Pull over to the right and wait until the road is clear for five miles in either direction before you turn; OR, get into the wrong lane half a mile before your turn and make your left from there.

#6. If the driver ahead of you is making a left turn, ram him.

#7. If you are coming out of a driveway or sidestreet, and the only vehicle coming is a motorbike, pull out in front of him. In a collision between a car and a motorbike, the motorbike is going to lose, so obviously it’s up to him to stop.

#8. Ignore traffic lights. They’re only there to impress the tourists.

#9. If you are in a traffic jam, and you see an open lane which might possibly be used to unsnarl the mess, block it as quickly as possible. And don’t forget that horn.

#10. If the vehicle in front of you is passing a vehicle in front of him, pass them both so that you have three vehicles side by side in a line across the highway, going in the same direction. If you’re a publico driver, this is a great way to scare the hell out of any tourists in your car.

#11. When driving at night keep your highbeams on all the time. If drivers of oncoming cars find them too bright, well, that’s what sunglasses are for.

#12. Seatbelts are silly gringo decorations.

#13. If you see that the car you are overtaking is being driven by someone you know, stay alongside him for a few miles so you can have a chat.

#14. Indicator lights are there to warn other drivers of what you intend to do, but since every other driver on the road is an enemy, why should you give them any warnings?

#15. When you park your car, remember that NO PARKING signs do not apply to you personally.

Of course, given the number of motorcycles on the road here, there are some special rules for them, too.

#1. When driving along that stretch of highway which runs through Cabarete, go at your flat out, top speed. It’s your right to endanger yourself and the community; and besides, people love to hear the noise your engine makes when you have the throttle wide open - day or night.

#2. If you see a traffic jam up ahead, just use the sidewalks. If you should run down a pedestrian, it’s his fault for not jumping out of the way quickly enough.

#3. When you park your motorbike, leave it in a place where it will cause the greatest inconvenience; the road, the entrance to a driveway, the doorway of a store, etc.

#4. Hang your helmet on your handlebar so if you have an accident, people will have something to scrape your brains into after they’ve been splattered all over the road.

#5. It is not necessary to repair broken headlights or tail lights. Car drivers should be able to see you in their highbeams, and they generally drive as if you’re not there anyhow.

Oh yes; a driver’s licence is nice, but who really needs one?

Don Tomas
09-13-2004, 01:06 AM
Truth in Advertising: Found this list at a DR car rental agency...

The only law, which is enforced is, you must wear your seat-belt. If you don't, you have to pay a fine of 500 Peso. There was a great seat-belt-campaign in 2002, which succeeded in 90% of the dominicans now wear seat-belts.

The right of way is given to the vehicle which is on the bigger street.

A truck has priority before cars.

Green light indicates, that you can go, still be cautious, it's possible, other cars could cross.

Red light shows you: Please stop and check the traffic. If you cannot see anybody, you can drive.

You can pass a car on the right or left side. It doesn't matter.

Driving with alcohol or other drugs isn't allowed, but there is no control.

If you are involved in an accident and somebody is injured, a blood check in hospital may be required.

Speed limits do exist, but there is no control until now. But you shoudn't drive more than 120 kilometer on highways and 80 kilometer on other roads. Inside villages reduce to 40 kilometer, because children play on the streets.

Don't change direction too quickly. The Dominicans don't live in stressed situations. Here time is not money. It's hot and life is slow. So, if you want to change direction, please show it very clearly.

If Dominicans lower their speed, they show it to you by waving a hand out of a window.

If you want to make a left turn, it's possible that other cars will still pass on the left hand side, even if they can see in the darkness your indication.

Parking is free until now. On all places, that are not private you won't pay any fees.

WSJ3
09-21-2004, 03:12 PM
I still think you are better off just paying for a taxi, that way you can drink and monger to your hearts content.

I am not sure what this country's DWI laws are like, but I am sure you will end up with tacos shoved up your nether regions in the local jail if you mess up.

vak
09-21-2004, 04:21 PM
I always drive in the DR. I'm the only fuckin' idiot who stops at a red light. (childhood training, I guess). Especially in Santiago. it's hysterical. I'm stopped at a red light and everyone else is whizzing by. How does that actually function? :shock:

BrooklynBeas
09-22-2004, 08:22 AM
Red Lights are stop signs except on very busy intersections or when the cops are out checking moto's for helmets...

gdogg
09-22-2004, 08:52 AM
I'm definitely leaving the driving to the pros. It was like riding a roller coaster the way everybody was driving. I was laughing hysterically the whole way!

BrooklynBeas
09-22-2004, 08:56 AM
I have only driven a few times and that was my friends car down there in La Vega... Once I took a lil tour by myself and got a little lost... a moto dude i asked for directions offered to show me the way for 50 pesos... i told him i will find it myself... im having fun watching people turn heads when they hear the Bachata blaring from the car windows

gdogg
09-22-2004, 09:36 AM
You're a braver man than me. I ain't driving down there!

Jimmydr
09-22-2004, 09:39 AM

I drove, I hit rocks, dogs, trees and other assorted critters. I leave my drining up to VAK! :D

gdogg
09-22-2004, 09:40 AM

I drove, I hit rocks, dogs, trees and other assorted critters. I leave my drining up to VAK! :D

Smart man. Riding around in a car at night was one of the craziest experiences I've ever had. It was like a video game!

Don Tomas
09-22-2004, 12:31 PM
I still think you are better off just paying for a taxi, that way you can drink and monger to your hearts content.

I am not sure what this country's DWI laws are like, but I am sure you will end up with tacos shoved up your nether regions in the local jail if you mess up.

DWI laws? :lol:

I don't believe there are any, of course everything is different as a gringo so you might end up paying a few bucks.

WSJ3
09-22-2004, 01:15 PM

I don't believe there are any, of course everything is different as a gringo so you might end up paying a few bucks.

My point exactly. I am not knocking you guys for driving and exploring the country.

I just prefer one stop shopping and having my taxi ready to return me to the Palace or Europa with my prized chica.

Don Tomas
09-22-2004, 01:49 PM

My point exactly. I am not knocking you guys for driving and exploring the country.

I just prefer one stop shopping and having my taxi ready to return me to the Palace or Europa with my prized chica.

For being the one and only El Tigre you sure are a lazy.... :lol:

WSJ3
09-22-2004, 02:53 PM
ROTFLMAO

Yeah I need to save my energy for the money shots from my BBBJCIM action.

BrooklynBeas
09-22-2004, 04:49 PM
ROTFLMAO

Yeah I need to save my energy for the money shots from my BBBJCIM action.

Im tellin your wife... what do you tell her... how do you get away without a fight ...??

nomad
09-29-2004, 10:38 PM
They don't care if you drink and drive as long as you do not kill anyone. But Lord help you if you drive without a seatbelt. Wave a Presidente at a Policia not problem but you had better have you seatbelt one.

Honest.

Nomad

BrooklynBeas
09-30-2004, 08:11 AM
They don't care if you drink and drive as long as you do not kill anyone. But Lord help you if you drive without a seatbelt. Wave a Presidente at a Policia not problem but you had better have you seatbelt one.

Honest.

Nomad

thats the truth... honest... a couple of trips ago my friend and I were walking drinking bottles of champagne in the streets and he was trying to hide it when he saw a cop ... i asked what the fuck he was doing... they aint gonna bother you its ok calm down haha