PDA

View Full Version : [DR1] Generation crisis checkmates system

NewsWhore
07-26-2006, 02:10 PM
The fact that 15 generators are off line is creating a checkmate for the national electrical grid. According to the Listin Diario, the generators of Puerto Plata are off line (Puerto Plata I and II as well as the Smith Enron unit), and so are Haina Turbo-Gas, San Pedro Turbo Gas, Higuamo I and II, Itabo Turbo Gas I, II and III, Falconbridge, Metaldom and six units of the San Pedro de Macoris Electric Company. With a demand for 2100 megawatts and a supply of just 1351 megawatts, the system experience prolonged periods of blackouts throughout the country. According to the Superintendent of Electricity, Haina IV is supposed to enter the system this afternoon. According to a deal struck between the power generators (IPPs) and the government, the government is supposed to pay the IPPs the interest generated by the accumulated debt of US$500 million, and the regional electricity suppliers, the EDEs (EdeNorte, EdeSur and EdeEste) were supposed to pay the generators about US$90 million per month. According to the Listin Diario, the EDEs are now collecting US$80 million per month, an improvement of US$20 million over previous collections.

Link To Original Article (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#6)