PDA

View Full Version : Eric Musselman to coach DR basket team

NewsWhore
06-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Eric Musselman, who will be coaching the Dominican National Team into the Central American and Caribbean Basketball Championship that starts 5 July, says that his love of basketball led him to accept the post.
"The reason I'm coaching the Dominican team is that I couldn't wait to get back on the floor," Musselman said. "It's good because basically all you do is go and coach the players. The team works on putting the roster together so as a coach all your time and energy is just focused on drills. I think it'll be good for somebody like me because I'm looking forward to experimenting and trying a few new things that I've always wanted to do, and this will give me an opportunity to do that."
"Having watched and observed so many different practices since I've been out of the league and watching games live and on TV -- all of that stuff is going to be invaluable," Musselman said. "I'll finally be able to put a lot of that into place now."
He takes over the team that was previously helmed by current Golden State Warriors assistant, Scott Roth.
Musselman will be working with two of his NBA coaching contemporaries in Cleveland Cavaliers' advance scout Clay Moser and former Memphis Grizzlies and Seton Hall assistant Scott Adubato.
"The importance of having Clay on board is that we play so many games that you basically have just one off-day in between six or seven games, so Clay's ability to pick up the opposition's sets becomes vital," Musselman explained. "He's able to watch a game live and then do shootaround the next day. As far as Adubato, he's phenomenal at doing individual workouts and he did a great job when we were together in Memphis so the staff will complement each other perfectly. I can't imagine too many staffs down there having a more diverse, experienced group than what we'll have."
A few of the veterans recognizable to NBA fans will be Atlanta's Al Horford, Sacramento's Francisco Garcia and Detroit's Charlie Villanueva. All three are eligible for the team and have played for the team in the past. Not surprisingly, Musselman hopes to have all three available to him by the time the tournaments roll around, though nothing is confirmed as of yet.
Another player who plans to suit up for his country is NBA Draft-eligible Edgar Sosa who, like Garcia, is a Louisville alumnus.

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#9)