PDA

View Full Version : Snorkeling Cheap in Sosua

Jabskiler
06-23-2010, 03:20 AM
The reef that a lot of snorkeling tours charge $60 to take people to is about 400 feet off the main Sosua beach. If you want to snorkeling for much less just walk down to the beach there are a few places that rent snorkel gear for 200 Peso=$5.50. Also these places will be happy to hold your towels and other stuff for you while you snorkel.

If you walk half way down the beach and look out you will see some small waves braking over the reef. You may also see a big catamaran moored on the other side with a tour group of snorkelers. The people you rent the gear from with point you right at the reef.

I would put this reef at 7 out of 10. I saw a lot of fish, different types of coral and sponges. There is a 10 foot channel that goes though the middle of the reef. The shallow side sits in about 20 feet of water. The deep side is in about 35 feet. The reef it is self comes right up to the surface. The water clarity is very good better the 40ft.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/Jabskiler/beach21.jpg

deezl
06-23-2010, 03:45 AM
to be fair, i think northern coast diving charges about $30 for a 1.5hr trip that includes that reef. it's also a pretty long ways out so I wouldn't recommend trying it if your not a decent swimmer, it's further than it looks!

biggest problem i had getting out there was all the boat traffic coming into and out of the beach area, especially the banana boats - they move pretty fast so you've got to keep an eye out for them.

it's definitely worth a trip out there, though.

continentalmike
06-23-2010, 12:29 PM
been there... the reef is a 5 out of 10, but some of the best in Sosua.