PDA

View Full Version : tourist cards dominican republic

Jonew1
07-02-2010, 11:45 PM
Hello everyone, im new here and me and a friend of mune are leaving on august 1st to go to sosua, dominican republic. i have been doing quite a bit of research online and i've read a few places that usually there are ling lines to wait in in order to get your tourist cards and i have also read that you can get your tourist card before you get there. does anyone know where or how i can go about gettin the tourist cards before we leave?

JD426
07-02-2010, 11:55 PM
At POP, Unless 2 planes arrive at the exact same time, the wait should be no more than 5-10 minutes max and thats if people in front of you dont have their money out. They DONT make change, so have exactly $10 US cash ready, its really nothing to worry about,and its not like your checked bags are going to be waiting on the carousel before you get there. Just hustle when you get out of the plane and u wont have to wait. Continental used to sell them at check in for $11 ($1 surcharge) at EWR, not sure if they still do.

bobdobbs
07-02-2010, 11:58 PM
I don't know what country you are coming from but from Toronto to the DR they hand them out on the plane. I have been down 4 times and got it on the plane every time.

Ram
07-03-2010, 01:12 AM
I don't know what country you are coming from but from Toronto to the DR they hand them out on the plane. I have been down 4 times and got it on the plane every time.

Only on the charters, the fee is included in the cost of the flight. If you fly any of the american carriers through the US, you will have to pay in the DR.

hugrad95a
07-03-2010, 01:30 AM
At POP it takes about 5 to 10 minutes depends on how many tourists are on the plane. Dominincan Residents dont have to stand in line. I've been to POP three times and its only taken about 5 to 10 minutes each time. They had change when I was there but I gave them a $20 bill. Make sure your get your cup of Brugal.

gdogg
07-03-2010, 06:29 AM
At POP it takes about 5 to 10 minutes depends on how many tourists are on the plane. Dominincan Residents dont have to stand in line. I've been to POP three times and its only taken about 5 to 10 minutes each time. They had change when I was there but I gave them a $20 bill. Make sure your get your cup of Brugal.

...AND your change!! I once handed the guy a $20 bill and he just looked at me like "What?", while looking around me for the next person in line. I was like "My cambio, FOOL!!". He gave me my change like nothing ever happened. Damn, I miss that place!

MrHappy
07-03-2010, 06:41 AM
Try to get a seat near the exit on the plane, if you're one of the first ones off the plane, you'll have virtually no wait time at all, unless another plane came in right before yours.

weyland
07-03-2010, 09:44 AM
You will be waiting longer for your baggage to get unloaded so it doesn't matter how long you have to wait in line to buy a tourist card. And however long it's gonna be quicker than going somewhere to buy it in the US. Normal 5 minutes, max 15 minutes.

questner
07-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Get residency or a passport of a major SA country ( like Chile, there a several on the list) or an Israeli one and you won't need to pay a tourist card.

But with my affection to the country I don't mind paying or standing in line.

Out of Canada: on Westjet, Air Canada it is prepaid (part of a ticket), Sunwing you have to pay at the counter, Airtransat likely have to pay too, I don't remember and Canjet I don't know.

This winter season JAZZ (part of Air Canada) will fly into POP.

cdstart=Oye%2C%20mami%21&skinjpg=http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/cdskins/domrepflag.jpg&yr=2010&mo=8&da=27&hr=14&mi=13&sc=0&cdend=Que%20rico%21&txtcolor=0xcc00&untilcolor=0xffff

weyland
07-03-2010, 01:33 PM
Get residency or a passport of a major SA country (like Chile, there a several on the list) or an Israeli one and you won't need to pay a tourist card.

Have you ever seen the list of exempt countries? There is really no logic to it at all. A real ragbag of countries large and small from around the world. Iceland? Liechtenstein? South Korea? I guess it depends on who slept with whom in the diplomatic world.

Count
07-03-2010, 04:37 PM
I concur with the fellow who said on Air Canada they hand then out....funny thing was last trip I lost mine in the airport somewhere before I got to customs. As I was searching through my things for it, the guy says in perfect English and menacingly ..."no tourist card. I tell you what we do with you..." then smiling "we say, welcome to Dominican Republic."

natmatt
07-03-2010, 10:11 PM
At POP, Unless 2 planes arrive at the exact same time, the wait should be no more than 5-10 minutes max and thats if people in front of you dont have their money out. They DONT make change, so have exactly $10 US cash ready, its really nothing to worry about,and its not like your checked bags are going to be waiting on the carousel before you get there. Just hustle when you get out of the plane and u wont have to wait. Continental used to sell them at check in for $11 ($1 surcharge) at EWR, not sure if they still do.

Yes, continental still sells them at EWR during check in. I purchased one in April. The wait is not that long if you choose not to purchase one.