PDA

View Full Version : Sosua july 29-August 4. Newbie trip.

dumarsrevenge
07-08-2010, 11:55 PM
Hey everybody. Newbie + wingman headed to Sosua for my first p4p trip to DR. We've been to DR a couple of times and we both speak fluent spanish. Staying at BlackBeards (after reviewing all the options on ISOC it seemed like the best place to bust my p4p cherry). Unfortunately flying into SDQ and taking the bus to Puerto Plata, then taking a taxi from there to Barba Negra.

Hoping to meet up with a couple of "veteranos" while there and also get some advice. Biggest question right now is deciding to rent a car while in Sosua/Puerto Plata. We'd like to take a couple of day trips and spend a night or two out on the town in Sosua; is it worth the expense and trouble of renting a car? I've seen several members have problems with DR rental agencies. Is there a way to arrange for a reliable driver?

Any other words of wisdom would be MUCH appreciated. This site is great, have learned tons already. Thanks!

Jonew1
07-09-2010, 01:04 AM
im a newbi as well and and me and a buddy are headed to sosua on august 1st and were staying until the 11th. im not knocking your trip or anything i just seen this post and wanted to add my opinion. hope you dont mind... anyway, when we first planned our trip we dident know very much at all. we just knew that we wanted to go find some chicas in the DR. so we made reservations at black beards. they sent me a few news letters and i looked at em' and checked them out. after a while i started rethinking my previous thoughts of the trip and how it would all pan out. we wanted to go and make the most of our trip. so i did some more research and i finally came to the conclusion that in my mind black beards was a way over priced resort. dont know for sure ive never been i just got skeptical. the rooms are 99 dollars a night for the double delux which is what we had originally booked. and it just seems to me that it cost too much to take a cab everywhere. im not sure but it sounds to me that black beards is far away from everything and it seems like once your there unless you plan on paying to take a cab anywhere, well your pretty much stuck. so i found this site and started reading about sosua. and i found a place called rockys blues bar. i called them up talked to rick personally he seems like an awsome guy, i booked a 2 bedroom condo with him for 9 nights 450$ US for the first week and 75$ for the 2 extra nights. so total i will be paying 600$ he also told us there is free airport pick up unlike black beards we dont have to pay the fare from pop to the condo. also he told us since we were staying more than a week he would bring us back for free. sounds awsome. the cost at black beards was going to cost us 1033$ for 9 nights so i saved 400$ plus not wasting money on cab fares! another thing that made me change my mind about black beards is that it seemed like a really small selection of chicas compared to sosua and i dident want to limit my self. i also get the idea that they dont really care for you to bring in outside guest aka outside chicas. dont like that i dont wanna be stuck with only whats walking around the resort. at rockys he lets you bring whoever when ever i like that. i payed for the room i should be able to have who ever i want in it. black beards also has set rates on their chicas they sent me a email that said somthing like. 1500 for st and 3000 for all night. after reading what the guys say on here that sounds like a rip off when you can go to sosua and get them all night for no more than 2000 and less if you can talk them down. hell why not. thats means more money more partying and more chicas while im there. and like i said i wanna make the most of my trip. when i get there i will have roughly 2000$ US after i pay for the room and all. any way ive rambled on for a while now. like i said im not trying to knock your trip i just wanted to throw in all the stuff i found out and have thought of. one more thing. im pretty sure after reading some post on here ive came to the conclusion that from rockys we can pretty much walk anywhere in sosua to do the partying. so that also means not wasting money on cabs if everything is in walking distance thats a great great thing.

weyland
07-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Blackbeards and Rocky's are both good value and you won't go wrong staying in either of them, but it is not fair to compare them on price as it is apples to oranges.

Rocky's is accommodation stripped down to the basics with nil "extra" comforts (almost backpacker style). It is intended for guys who want to be in the heart of the action for a bargain basement price and it does a great job for that clientele. Having said that, a lot of hotels are slashing their prices in this economic climate (Sosúa is very quiet) and you might well find much superior accommodation for only a few dollars more.

Blackbeards offers a far more comfortable experience and charges a lot more. In my opinion it is ideal for those who don't intend to leave campus much and want to relax and enjoy all the convenience of on-site service and chicas. I really cannot see the point of paying a premium to stay at Blackbeards and enjoy what it has to offer, then paying sizable taxi fees to visit other locations such as Sosúa.

If you are not confident you will have a great time at Blackbeards (and nearly all guests do their first time there) then stay in Sosúa and pay less for a much larger variety of cheaper chicas. You could have an extra chica (or two) for the price of your taxi beween the two locations.

The other point is that you are losing the best part of two days out of your ten-day trip in travelling from SDQ to Blackbeards and back. If your airfare was 40% cheaper then it is probably worthwhile, otherwise it sounds like a false economy.

jonew: Good post and helpful comments but drop into Walmart and buy large bags of paragraph breaks and capital letters so more people will read what you have gone to some trouble to write.

dumarsrevenge: I see you and your friend speak fluent Spanish. You have removed the main incentive most guys have for staying at Blackbeards. You should do well pricewise in Sosúa.

Nakom
07-10-2010, 12:31 PM
im a newbi as well and and me and a buddy are headed to sosua on august 1st and were staying until the 11th. im not knocking your trip or anything i just seen this post and wanted to add my opinion. hope you dont mind... anyway, when we first planned our trip we dident know very much at all. we just knew that we wanted to go find some chicas in the DR. so we made reservations at black beards. they sent me a few news letters and i looked at em' and checked them out. after a while i started rethinking my previous thoughts of the trip and how it would all pan out. we wanted to go and make the most of our trip. so i did some more research and i finally came to the conclusion that in my mind black beards was a way over priced resort. dont know for sure ive never been i just got skeptical. the rooms are 99 dollars a night for the double delux which is what we had originally booked. and it just seems to me that it cost too much to take a cab everywhere. im not sure but it sounds to me that black beards is far away from everything and it seems like once your there unless you plan on paying to take a cab anywhere, well your pretty much stuck. so i found this site and started reading about sosua. and i found a place called rockys blues bar. i called them up talked to rick personally he seems like an awsome guy, i booked a 2 bedroom condo with him for 9 nights 450$ US for the first week and 75$ for the 2 extra nights. so total i will be paying 600$ he also told us there is free airport pick up unlike black beards we dont have to pay the fare from pop to the condo. also he told us since we were staying more than a week he would bring us back for free. sounds awsome. the cost at black beards was going to cost us 1033$ for 9 nights so i saved 400$ plus not wasting money on cab fares! another thing that made me change my mind about black beards is that it seemed like a really small selection of chicas compared to sosua and i dident want to limit my self. i also get the idea that they dont really care for you to bring in outside guest aka outside chicas. dont like that i dont wanna be stuck with only whats walking around the resort. at rockys he lets you bring whoever when ever i like that. i payed for the room i should be able to have who ever i want in it. black beards also has set rates on their chicas they sent me a email that said somthing like. 1500 for st and 3000 for all night. after reading what the guys say on here that sounds like a rip off when you can go to sosua and get them all night for no more than 2000 and less if you can talk them down. hell why not. thats means more money more partying and more chicas while im there. and like i said i wanna make the most of my trip. when i get there i will have roughly 2000$ US after i pay for the room and all. any way ive rambled on for a while now. like i said im not trying to knock your trip i just wanted to throw in all the stuff i found out and have thought of. one more thing. im pretty sure after reading some post on here ive came to the conclusion that from rockys we can pretty much walk anywhere in sosua to do the partying. so that also means not wasting money on cabs if everything is in walking distance thats a great great thing.

Great post!

weyland
07-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Great post!
Yes, and I didn't read it carefully enough (which rather proves the point I was making about legibility).

jonew was not talking about staying in Rocky's Bar but in one of the same owner's condos (in Tradewinds?) which is not "in the heart of the action" but is a lot more comfortable.

Sorry if my post caused any confusion.

Jonew1
07-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Well as ive said ive never been. So how far away are these condos of rockys from the action? i was under the impression it was in walkin distace to all the clubs and nightlife.

daddyooo
07-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Well as ive said ive never been. So how far away are these condos of rockys from the action? i was under the impression it was in walkin distace to all the clubs and nightlife.

Probably abt 10 to 15 minute walk.

rizfiz
07-26-2010, 08:56 PM
I just came back from sousa last week. I stayed at the New garden hotel in Sousa. $62 a night for good clean room with wifi and cable. Its a 2 minute walk to the clubs which was great for bringing chicks back to the room. Girls hung out during the day by the pool and bar if you wanted an afternoon special. It was my first time there and cant wait to go back. Its not a beach resort, its right in the middle of Sousa.

hugrad95a
07-26-2010, 09:59 PM
If I spoke fluent Spanish I honestly would have skipped Blackbeards. As someone who has been there three times. I can say that is great for a beginner. Meaning I dont speak any or minimum spanish. If you speak fluent spanish you would have your pick of women in Sousua as you can communicate with the Chica's which means you can lower your cost exponent and increase your fun exponent with the Chica's. Cabs from BB to Sousua will run you about 40 bucks each way. They gouge you like crazy. I enjoyed BB's it was a great start but its like going from Pre-K to first grade once you go to Sosua its hard to go back to BB's.

hugrad95a
07-26-2010, 10:00 PM
Rent the Car, but be careful. Driving in the DR is like Driving in the Wild West.

Apos
07-27-2010, 12:56 AM
I've stayed at both and enjoyed my times there.

The Trade Winds condos are less than 15 minutes to Rocky's and about 15 or so to the entrance to the beach. The Mary Rose condos are a little further taking me almost exactly 15 minute to Rocky's.

Either are an easy walk in the day. I've done it in the rain with an umbrella many times and I'd take a moto at night to both.

Their close enough to be able to get to the action quickly but far enough away and secluded for privacy and quiet.

Ram
07-27-2010, 01:08 AM

I would not walk into town at night from Tradewinds. I have done it and it can be scary at best. The highway is very dark and the headlights of the cars and trucks don't make it any easier to see....or be seen by them. During the day there is always a moto at the bottom of the hill but I rarely use them during the day. I love the walk into town, clears my head in the morning. At night, I have 2 moto guys phone numbers and give them a call when I am ready to go out at night. Getting home is easy.