PDA

View Full Version : Ortiz shows his stuff

NewsWhore
07-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz, the only baseball player mentioned by name by President Barack Obama during his official meeting with President Leonel Fernandez in the White House yesterday, responded in kind for the recognition. He won the derby at Angel Stadium in California, this time defeating a fellow Dominican Florida shortstop Hanley Ramirez, 11-5, in the final. That evening he hit 32 homeruns. This was the first time two Dominicans have competed in the homerun derby against each other in the final. For David Ortiz it was a double celebration, because he explained he had been a mentor for Hanley Ramirez when the latter began his career in the Red Sox. Ortiz dedicated the victory to his friend Jose Lima, who died recently from a heart attack.
When commenting on the bonds between the DR and the USA, President Barack Obama said: "And obviously I've got to note that we got some pretty good baseball players here from the Dominican Republic. But for some reason I've got a lot of Red Sox fans here, so they keep on talking about Ortiz, but I'm a White Sox guy".

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#8)