PDA

View Full Version : pick pocketing, my solution

Jonew1
07-16-2010, 11:15 AM
I am leaving for sosua in 2 weeks and, I have read alot about people having money taken right out of their pockets and the clubs and things like that. Well i came up with a solution i think will prevent that from happening to me. i will try to post some pictures on here to show everyone how i did it and what I am useing.
First, I went to wall mart and picked up a cheap thing neoprene digital camera case the type with the zipper on top, a box of saftey pins. thats all ya need. I think i spent 10 bucks on this. Now, what I have done is pulled the front pocket of my pants inside out, saftey pinned the thin camera case to the inner lining of the pocket with 3 saftey pins. pushed the pocket back in and the zipper case is sitting up right safley secured to the inner lining of the pocket. If any one reaches there hand into my pocket they will be dissappointed because that pouch which will contain all my pesos wont be going anywhere and I will know and feel some one tugging on it. and if they do get there hand into my pocket by chance, well they still have to unzip the pouch and pull the money out. Good luck with that. I will definatley know and feel somthing going on.
besides i only plan on bringing out the money im going to need for drinking any way. ill keep my chica money under the sole of my shoe until needed. So if for some reason they do happen to get the pouch with the money in it, which i have no clue how they would, they arent going to get much.
I just thought I would share this idea with you guys. Hopefully if you havent thought of this already it will help some of you out. Or atleast make you feel a little more comfortable about carrying your money in the clubs. thanks for reading.

naptime
07-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Good idea. I used a camera case, with a sewn on belt loop. Then my money is in it. And you have to unzip to get it out. And your aren't tearing it off my belt.

For your Chicago money..... no reason to put it in your shoe. You'll be taking the girl to your room right? Keep your money in your safe.

I take out my drinking money only. And sometimes make a money run back to the hotel for more.

Jonew1
07-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Well i though about just keeping my chica money in my safe also. but then i've read its not a good idea to open up your safe at all with the chica in your room. So i figured just have everything out that i need so there is no reason to open up my safe with her in the room. thats why i was talking about just puttin the chica money under the sole of my shoe.

Nakom
07-16-2010, 05:06 PM
First off - great idea - you must be an engineer.

Secondly there should not be an issue opening your safe when a chica is in the room unless you have a key safe. If you have an electronic safe just stand directly in front of and close to it and she will never see the combo. If it is a key safe (or electronic), send her to the bathroom first to shower and then go in your safe. Put everything away while she showers and take out the agreed on amount. If she rips that off and leaves who cares - you were going to give it to her anyways.

Thirdly, pick pockets are a concern in the DR but I think it has been blown way out of proportion. Keep your money on a money clip and in your front jeans pocket or velcro pocket in cargo shorts. Only carry slightly more than you think you will need, and only carry $RD - no US money. Don't let random chicas hug or grab you and you should be fine. The majority of pick pocket / theft scams are the result of the gringo having a momentary laps of good judgement, like putting a leather walet in their back pocket, leaving stuff out in their room, not exchanging keys with their wingman, or hiding money / keys "where she will never find it".

Be safe, take precautions, but don't be paranoid. Walk around like you know what you are doing and nobody will bother you.

shredder
07-16-2010, 06:18 PM
I agree with Nakom. When I go out I spread my money out. I'll put a 1000peso bill in one buttoned back pocket and another one in another pocket and smaller bills in my front pocket. They may get in one pocket but probably not all of them. I don't use a wallet when there so there's no obvious bulge as their target...well:rolleyes:

DRJones
07-16-2010, 10:26 PM
Get a zippered travel wallet that attaches to your belt and you wear it inside your pants.

Amazon.com: Lewis N. Clark TravelDry Hidden Travel Wallet:…

Jonew1
07-16-2010, 11:58 PM
Well guys I suppose there is alot of different ways to prevent gettin jacked for your cash. thanks for everyone elses input. I just thought i would share the idea i came up with its so simple its stupid, but its going to work. Ill be leaving in 15 days. be looking forward to my trip report.

naptime
07-17-2010, 02:11 AM
Remember the most important thing..... use it. And keep your head on straight, you'll be fine.

Wau!Papi
07-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Remember the most important thing..... use it. And keep your head on straight, you'll be fine.

And for Club X, a back-up cellphone may not hurt....or it actually MAY hurt if it's 800,000 volts! I believe the tasers and pepper spray are a sold all over Santiago. The pharmacy in Cabarete across from Ono Bar sells both. But not the cellphone taser or the pepper pen. Hey look! there's a pink celllphone for your chica. NOT!

http://www.amazing1.com/prot.htm

Jonew1
07-17-2010, 11:41 AM
thats crazy

TropicBob
07-17-2010, 12:26 PM
57 DR vacations later, and the only time I got pick-pocketed was when I was sandwiched by two overly friendly girls at the old Two (Red?) Roses Bar down on Pedro Calisente....

....just be AWARE, and you'll be fine

jacknback
07-17-2010, 08:11 PM
PQRico taught me the pouch on the inside of your pants trick when I first met him in Medellin.Thaks Papi I still use it today!!

ralphie1
07-17-2010, 11:03 PM
i simply take an old wallet along with nothing in it so it is rather thin. i get a big thick rubber band and put it around my wallet and carry it in my front pocket. the rubber band makes it very difficult to slip it out. just not that easy to do.

a buddy told me about that and i thought wtf?? thought i would just try it before i left. was in the drive thru trying to pull my wallet out and couldnt do it sitting in the car. wtf?? then realized i had put the rubber band around it. sold me on the idea right there

while not as full proof as pinning it to the pocket, it does work well

also, never carry more than 2000 pesos, so loss is minimized that way. also, the room is always "sterlized" when i walk out as you never know when you will pull a gal. when i get back to the room, only thing i have to worry about is what is in my pocket. everything else is locked up

Jonew1
07-18-2010, 01:13 AM
great point about everything being locked up. i plan on always having my room chica proofed before i leave for the evening as well