PDA

View Full Version : Sectors call for ousting of PN chief

NewsWhore
07-16-2010, 03:50 PM
The arrival of President Leonel Fernandez coincides with a cry from several sectors of society that are calling for the removal of the Chief of the National Police, Rafael Guillermo Guzman Fermin. On Thursday the issue came up in the Chamber of Deputies where a motion was passed to summon the chief so he can explain some of the crimes that have occurred during his tenure and in which police agents are involved. The motion was introduced by PRD legislator Julio Encarnacion.
Meanwhile, civic group Participacion Ciudadana's general coordinator Santiago Sosa called for a complete makeover for the National Police, and the sacking of the current chief.
The head of the National Human Rights Commission, Manuel Maria Mercedes, revealed that during the present tenure of the chief, police agents have killed 1,750 people in gunfights and other, unclear, circumstances.
The recent incidents in which civilians have been killed by Police patrols, including a student and an 81-year-old man, have produce a spontaneous movement called "Policia no me mate, que yo me paro" (Police, don't kill me, I'll stop) which has a large following on the Internet and is producing T-shirts. The movement has even called for a vigil starting at 7:30 at night on 30 July.

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#10)