PDA

View Full Version : Dominican Drivers

ROVER
08-04-2010, 06:20 PM
God Damn Dominican drivers.

I shouldn't be surprised and can't explain why I thought they would heed a little more caution when driving a boat.

But I meant tearing ass into the designated swimmers area of the beach and running over 3 people and killing 1 of them ???? Come on !

From Dominican Central
One killed, two injured in Sosua bay boating tragedy

posted on: Aug 3 2010 10:59 by The Reporter. Viewed 143 times.

Three swimmers were seriously injured last Thursday when a banana boat hit them in Sosua bay. http://www.dominicancentral.com/displayImage.php?phud=thereporter/sosua-bay.jpg

Thirty-two year old Benedicto Alfonso Aybar Vivas from Santiago died shortly after the incident while being treated at the Cabarete Medical Center, from cranial trauma, blunt chest trauma and asphyxia from drowning after being hit by the boat’s propeller.

The other two injured were named as Juan Antonio Guillermo, aged 58, and Martha Núñez Guillermo, 42.
According to witnesses, the three swimmers were hit by the boat, when it entered the area reserved for bathers, at high speed.

Fresh calls for more control of the motorized boats operating in the bay were made by Sosua residents, as it is well known that the motorized craft frequently operate without any apparent consideration for bathers in the water, and countless near misses have been recorded over the last few years.

Many residents indicated that they were surprised a tragedy of this nature did not occur more frequently.

This undoubtedly is really good P.R. for tourism. Come to our beautiful white sand beaches but just be careful when your in the water that a local in a speed boat doesn't mow you down :confused:

deezl
08-04-2010, 07:32 PM
Gotta say I'm not surprised at all. I snorkeled out to the reef there and had to pull my head out of the water every 30 seconds or so because those banana boats are constantly flying through - pretty much full speed up to about 50 ft from the shore and i saw a few basically pull right up onto the beach.

One of them probably would have hit me if I hadn't been consciously looking out for them.