PDA

View Full Version : how dangerous is Sosua?

Man gone Nuts
08-06-2010, 08:09 PM
I have traveled alot, and spent alot of time in Rio de janeiro (lived about a year in Brazil).
but am now planning my first trip to the DR Sosua.
been hearing alot about the crime and dangers in Sosua here on the forum.
but how dangerous is it as compared to Rio for instanse?
and are the girls equally beautiful as the girls from Brazil?
then for me it would be worth the risk.
trying to learn all the tricks before my first trip, all advice is appreciated

hugrad95a
08-06-2010, 08:12 PM
No different than any hood in the big city. Keep your wits, dont get too drunk watch your back. Everyone is watching...

hugrad95a
08-06-2010, 08:13 PM
If you can do Brazil, Sosua should be a piece of cake don't overthink it.

balcoach
08-06-2010, 08:14 PM
I have traveled alot, and spent alot of time in Rio de janeiro (lived about a year in Brazil).
but am now planning my first trip to the DR Sosua.
been hearing alot about the crime and dangers in Sosua here on the forum.
but how dangerous is it as compared to Rio for instanse?
then for me it would be worth the risk.
trying to learn all the tricks before my first trip, all advice is appreciated

In my opionion, Sosua is no more dangerous than the city you posted your message from. Sosua, along with any other city or town in the world has its good and bad place and locations. Most of El Batey is pretty tourist friendly, just be aware of your surroundings and keep you head about yourself and all is fine.

Man gone Nuts
08-06-2010, 08:19 PM
In my opionion, Sosua is no more dangerous than the city you posted your message from. Sosua, along with any other city or town in the world has its good and bad place and locations. Most of El Batey is pretty tourist friendly, just be aware of your surroundings and keep you head about yourself and all is fine.
am currently living in Gothenburg:wink:

JuanElGriego
08-06-2010, 08:19 PM

Haven't been to Brazil myself but know plenty of Brasilieras from around the way and i believe the Rio guys on the board would agree that while there are plenty of fine Dominicanas, Brasilieras are pound-for-pound in a league all their own.

getrhythm
08-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Despite a few recent ugly incidents, I don't think there's nearly the potential to be a victim of violent crime in Sosua as there is in Rio. And just by virtue of its size and the fact that in Rio you circulate in a much wider area (Centro, Copa, Ipanema, etc), there's the potential to encounter a wider variety of situations for which you may not be prepared.

That being said, there's definitely a lot of petty theft/pickpocketing, especially if you let your guard down. As the previous posters mentioned, just don't get too drunk or act stupid, and you should be fine. You are being watched...

About the girls - the racial mix is somewhat similar with plenty of darker skinned girls to go around, but definitely wider variety and selection in Rio. Also Brazileras tend to take better care of their bodies and enjoy showing off on the beach. Dominicanas, not so much...

Bhutto,BhuttoGolly
08-06-2010, 09:26 PM
I didn't find it "dangerous" at all.

weyland
08-06-2010, 09:53 PM
If Michael is Swedish, or just living in Gotherburg, then I imagine most other countries will seem comparatively dangerous to him. Sweden is a wonderful orderly country with perhaps the highest safety standards in the world, a veritable Volvo of a nation. The only dangers there are that you will freeze to death, drink yourself to death, commit suicide, or die of boredom.

LJDMV
08-06-2010, 10:00 PM
When i went to rio several years ago; i was walking solo late night (2-3 am) along AV Atlantico and never had any problems there. Just a lot of Hookers approaching me. I never felt unsafe in Rio. Also, the same for Sosua, walked there late night, never had a problem. Of course i was never drunk or walked around looking like a target. I would be more worried about getting ripped off from a chica (in the room) than having any problems in sosua.

TNT72
08-06-2010, 11:34 PM
No different than any hood in the big city. Keep your wits, dont get too drunk watch your back. Everyone is watching...

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

hugrad95a
08-06-2010, 11:45 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Unless your name is TNT or NAPTIME then you get the hood pass.

macula
08-06-2010, 11:54 PM
I felt safer walking the streets of Sosua than I do walking to the nearby 7-11. However, you live in Gothenberg so you probably are not used to the sights and sounds of Sosua. I've never been to Rio so I don't know how similar the environments may be.

gdogg
08-07-2010, 05:13 AM
I think Sosua is as dangerous as you make it. Although they say that crime there has increased, I'd bet that most incidents are brought on by the victim being careless. Don't get too excited and lose your bearings. Always be aware of your surroundings and make sure all of your valuables are locked up in your room. If for some reason you bring a chica to the room and have certain valuables scattered around, secure them immediately. If you going to take a shower, take your pants with you.
:)

SrSuerte
08-07-2010, 06:57 AM
I think Sosua is as dangerous as you make it. Although they say that crime there has increased, I'd bet that most incidents are brought on by the victim being careless. Don't get too excited and lose your bearings. Always be aware of your surroundings and make sure all of your valuables are locked up in your room. If for some reason you bring a chica to the room and have certain valuables scattered around, secure them immediately. If you going to take a shower, take your pants with you.:)

Everytime:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Or lock that shit up when she is in the shower.

WSJ3
08-07-2010, 07:22 AM
It is dangerous.

Fortunately the tourist police are out in force to keep the peace.

Don't flash money DONT WALK AROUND DRUNK and you will be fine.

Man gone Nuts
08-07-2010, 07:27 AM
I will probably stay a while. rent a condo and see how it goes. like you guys say. I have found that being aware of once surrondings and not drinking to much is very important. in my travels I have found that sometimes the worst things can happen where you feel the safest... just because you for a moment let your guard down.
i have started to study some spanish and soon I will be down to visit you guys and the girls offcourse...

WSJ3
08-07-2010, 08:41 AM
This is a good thread with information that will benefit newbies that care to venture into Sosua.

But I believe it has run its course...

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy111/spartacuswsj3/380d75ed0418299048f186bc054f15d21244175626_full.jpg