PDA

View Full Version : Police backs traffickers in Sabana Iglesia

NewsWhore
08-10-2010, 07:00 PM
The mayor of Sabana Iglesia municipality in Santiago province is challenging the drug traffickers that he says have a hold of his town. He said that the policemen stationed in the area control the trafficking and that they would be responsible if anything happened to him.
As reported in 7dias.com.do, local residents gathered in support of Mayor Pablo Batista yesterday. "The police are responsible for the drug points in this locality and I know I am playing on difficult ground that affects many sectors and many people are scared to denounce, but I am fed up with so many problems," said Batista.
He said he feared he could pay a very high price for his statements, and has drafted a document attributing responsibilities in case he is harmed.
He said that police officers, although not all, control drug trafficking in Sabana Iglesia.
The vice president of the community residents association, Leonidas Acosta also came forward and said that the authorities were not doing their job. He said he has heard that many policemen visit the drug points seeking handouts.
He complained that the drug trafficking business was responsible for many children dropping out of school and work.
A local priest, Father Francisco Ferreira of the Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish also spoke out in support of the mayor.

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#13)