PDA

View Full Version : Car rental

Malibook
04-27-2004, 11:47 AM
Transport: The moto bike taxis are everywhere and the going rate seemed to be 10 pesos day time and 20 pesos at night. We rented a car on our 2nd day. A guy we met at Rocky's reccomended Joel Fedez 461-4830 and he called him while we were sitting there having breakfast and 5 mins later Joel had a car outside for us. We agreed on $30 per day. Note: Joel wanted a credit card as a $1000 deposit was needed in the event that the car was involved in a serious accident, we said we didnt have one(no way i was giving up my card details in the DR) and though he wasnt too happy he said he would have to keep one of our passports, again we said that we wouldnt be happy to do this as we are advised never to let our passports leave our possesion blah blah, and Joel settled for a photocopy of my pals passport in the end and 13 days rental in advance, which we were more than happy to settle for. Having a car is very handy as there is barely enough room for a big chap like me on the back of a motorbike let alone me and a chica and those roads inthe DR are terrible with potholes and speed bumps everywhere.

Jimmydr
04-27-2004, 09:54 PM
I have 1 guy that I use all the time. He costs me $3-$5 per day for a few hours.

el_papi_chew_low
02-03-2005, 10:02 AM
I have 1 guy that I use all the time. He costs me $3-$5 per day for a few hours.

That sounds like a great deal. If that just for you or can anyone get that rate?

Jimmydr
02-03-2005, 10:09 AM

That sounds like a great deal. If that just for you or can anyone get that rate?

Yes Alex would be happy to have 4 customers a day for $5 apiece.

Thats $140 a week.

Freak In Black
07-27-2005, 10:01 PM
Jimmy,

Would you recommend a first timer renting a car when he's only going to be in town for 3 days?

moshy2k
07-27-2005, 11:21 PM
Freak in Black,

If you are staying in Sosua on the strip ans this is your first time I wouldn't rent a car as everything you need is right in front of you. You can walk to everything in 10 minutes.

If it were me I would get a feel for the area and take a taxi to caberete or any other out of the way destination my first trip. Believe me you first time will be an eye opener.

Post the dates you plan on being in town there will probably be a few ISOC guys around who could show you the ropes.

Jimmydr
07-28-2005, 10:58 AM
Jimmy,

Would you recommend a first timer renting a car when he's only going to be in town for 3 days?

No I would not. Plenty to do in Sosua and nearby area for three days.

Freak In Black
07-29-2005, 01:00 AM
I've never took any, but want to.

I got 1 link from a trusted board member and am interested in getting suggestions of others.

I'm real skeptical about taking unlicensed shit.

Any recommendations would be helpful.

I got 3 days in Sosua in 3 weeks. can you say MAXIMUM FUN!

guttaman
07-29-2005, 08:10 AM
I pay the extra money when i rent a car from Adventure at the airport. Too many horror stories about not being properly insured in the DR. Seriously hurt a local and you are fucked big time. Never leave your passport with no one. Mine is locked up in the safe ASAP and a color copy carried around at all times. Many stories on DR1 about renting from unlicenced rental companies. The Embassy can only do so much when you are locked up in Sosua and they tell them there is no such person here. The judge says 60,000 pesos for $400US damage and everyone splits the money up right infront of you. In the long run cutting corners in the DR seems to cost more. Gypsy from Adventure runs a legitimate business and will take care of the legal shit if you do happen to crash.

will_blueprint
07-29-2005, 09:50 AM
Yeah i always work with Jason at adventure in Puerto Plana and NEVER had any problems.

ajax718
07-29-2005, 11:55 AM
I am in DR now withented car. I prefer using a big named car company. Using a no name runs the risk of them stealing the car so they can then claim insurance money and still have the car.
Regarding insurance, I found out since I have a creit card which has a car insurance plan, I can get insurance from my credit card caompany for only 5 dollars a day instead of 24 dollars a day for insurance from the rental company.
Also, be aware that if you are a foreigner driving a rental car you become a target for corrupt police to try and get bribes off of you. If you rent a car, always wear a seatbelt and other rules, just so you do not give the police a reason to stop you. Also if you have a license plate in the front of your car which simply has the car companies name on it, take it off and simply put it back on when you return it. That type of plate also makes you a target since it clearly says the car is a rental.
Overall, I enjoy the freedom of having my own car. Many of the taxis I know do not have air conditioning. Also you can use your car to drive around the main streets and offer chicas, who are on the side of the road waiting for a taix-gua gua, a ride. I did this once so far and was able to get a phone number

BrooklynBeas
07-29-2005, 11:58 AM
Also you can use your car to drive around the main streets and offer chicas, who are on the side of the road waiting for a taix-gua gua, a ride. I did this once so far and was able to get a phone number

Your learning,.. Im so proud of you! :wink: :grin:

gdogg
07-30-2005, 05:02 AM
Ajax!! Way to start the trip! Picking up amateurs at the bus stop. Good job!
;)