PDA

View Full Version : Siempre Sol, Update?

papi_sosua
08-27-2010, 04:30 PM
I hear that Siempre Sol has now been torn down to the foundation.
Anybody got any pics or knows what's going/ is going to happen?

I have a hard time believing that this is all part of a 5* renovation.
Just curious.

voltage69
08-29-2010, 09:31 AM
yeah whats the deal? anyone on the ground over there?

getrhythm
08-29-2010, 09:51 AM
When I was out there about 10 days ago, yes - torn down to the foundation. However, I was just told that rebuilding has finally begun apace (some permit issues apparently), so it may not be too long now. I'll go out there in person in the next day or two and report back.

voltage69
08-29-2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks getrhythm.. i remember you from my first trip to sosua. was there with my brother. Thanks for the info though! Damn. siempre sol is where i go during the day usually.. and im going in 2.5 weeks. hope they get it back up quick.. i know how slow construction progresses in that town.

weyland
08-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Siempre Sol is where I go during the day usually.
Plenty of other places to sit and watch the chicas. Some would say better places, though I too usually sit at Herman's on my very occasional daytime visits to Sosúa*.

But if that is your only worry then you are in for a great trip!

* I am like Greyfriars Bobby. I am hoping if I sit there often enough LM, Kevy and Ram will turn up and each buy me a drink like the old days.

KoKi9290
08-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Go down to Black Box. It's a farther walk but late in the afternoon when the chicas come down from Charamicos, you'll see quite the parade.

JuanElGriego
08-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Go down to Black Box. It's a farther walk but late in the afternoon when the chicas come down from Charamicos, you'll see quite the parade.

Beach is a wasteland compared to a couple years ago.

Far fewer tourists, far fewer locals, and far fewer non-Sosua Dominicanos.

I still go because it's exactly what i need when i'm away from the concrete jungle i (and most here) call home, but it's a shell of its former self. Guys who just started going recently can't imagine what it was like 5-6 years ago.

getrhythm
08-29-2010, 02:00 PM
Beach is a wasteland compared to a couple years ago.

Far fewer tourists, far fewer locals, and far fewer non-Sosua Dominicanos.

I still go because it's exactly what i need when i'm away from the concrete jungle i (and most here) call home, but it's a shell of its former self. Guys who just started going recently can't imagine what it was like 5-6 years ago.

Agree - the beach used to represent another valid daytime option, but now it's a virtual ghost town. I almost feel sorry for the businesses and touts working out there - times are very tough.

Mr. Smooth
08-29-2010, 02:39 PM
I don't understand why the whole place needed to be torn down just to put in a new refridgeration unit. It was a nice looking bar but the beer was just too damn warm.

Walk another 50 meters down to the Scandanavian Bar. Great food, nice music, COLD beer and Tom is a gracious host.

I also like the Black Box. The owner and his wife are fine people and he has even bought drinks for his customers! My only problem with that place is that there always seems to be a multitude of flies buzzing around. I have to slap them away from my beer all the time. Guess they like the Presidentes too.

Mr Hillbilly
08-29-2010, 02:41 PM
The free Beach chairs at Black Box ain't bad either.

Herman's needed to get new bathroom got tired of digging for change to use the other ones.

eldorob
08-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Herman's needed to get new bathroom got tired of digging for change to use the other ones.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/68164a100dc68499a.jpg

swiggy
08-29-2010, 08:39 PM
I don't understand why the whole place needed to be torn down just to put in a new refridgeration unit. It was a nice looking bar but the beer was just too damn warm.

Walk another 50 meters down to the Scandanavian Bar. Great food, nice music, COLD beer and Tom is a gracious host.

I also like the Black Box. The owner and his wife are fine people and he has even bought drinks for his customers! My only problem with that place is that there always seems to be a multitude of flies buzzing around. I have to slap them away from my beer all the time. Guess they like the Presidentes too.

Herman said there was a problem with the refridgeration for 5 years. the actual problem was he shuts it off at night and doesnt turn it up during the day. im surprised the whole place is getting redone, im sure its not on his dime as he rents.

Mr. Smooth
08-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Herman said there was a problem with the refridgeration for 5 years. the actual problem was he shuts it off at night and doesnt turn it up during the day. im surprised the whole place is getting redone, im sure its not on his dime as he rents.

Well, I suppose that explains the warm beer! If he just rents, I assume he would also pay for utilities, so shutting the refridgerator unit off at night would save him some electric charges.

Maybe had he kept the beer COLD, he would have more customers drinking more beer and be able to afford to pay the higher electric bill with the additional revenue.

Apos
08-29-2010, 10:06 PM
IIRC Heman's at the end of a lease and generally, and perhaps as a bylaw of the beach association, you need to redo your bar/restaurant at the start of a new lease.

I alway find it interesting when I hear people say that they save energy/electric by shutting off the refer/freezer over night...my understanding is that if it's working properly it's most economical to set the temperature and then leave it on. Less fluctuation in temp, less energy consumed.

Then again I ain't A. Einstein....but I have read a lot about him :rolleyes::lol:

Mr Hillbilly
08-30-2010, 01:55 AM
Then again I ain't A. Einstein....but I have read a lot about him :rolleyes::lol:

Never seen you there !!!!!!

You must read alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=236&pictureid=4666

Apos
08-30-2010, 04:39 AM
:rolleyes:
Never seen you there !!!!!!

You must read alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=236&pictureid=4666)
:rofl:

renatososua
08-30-2010, 09:43 AM
I hear that Siempre Sol has now been torn down to the foundation.
Anybody got any pics or knows what's going/ is going to happen?

I have a hard time believing that this is all part of a 5* renovation.
Just curious.

Pics Sunday Aug 22
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u276/renatososua/2010-08-23SiempresolIMG_0080800x600.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u276/renatososua/2010-08-23SiempresolIMG_0083800x600.jpg

getrhythm
08-30-2010, 11:16 PM
Looks like things are coming right along. Here's some pics just taken this afternoon ....

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/thum_128134c7c73600bff2.jpg (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=85337)http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/thum_128134c7c73b7584bc.jpg (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=85339)http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/thum_128134c7c73970572f.jpg

continentalmike
08-31-2010, 04:36 PM
By my calcs Herman won't be leasing again... his time as a beach bar 'owner' s up and his retirement is kicking in...

The female owner will have to find a new leaseholder for the renovated property..

papi_sosua
08-31-2010, 05:29 PM
Out of curiosity: who owns all these beach stalls?
Somehow, somewhere I believe to remember that the Dominican Navy has a say/interest. But I might be completely off-base...

By my calcs Herman won't be leasing again... his time as a beach bar 'owner' s up and his retirement is kicking in...

The female owner will have to find a new leaseholder for the renovated property..

Mr Hillbilly
08-31-2010, 06:34 PM
Out of curiosity: who owns all these beach stalls?
Somehow, somewhere I believe to remember that the Dominican Navy has a say/interest. But I might be completely off-base...

That is strange because I asked someone how much out of curiosity sake

for the bar that is in the open space on other side of BIG D'S and they

wanted 40k to buy.

But maybe it was like Cuba Libre your only buying a Lease???

mikelodge
08-31-2010, 07:15 PM
That is strange because I asked someone how much out of curiosity sake

for the bar that is in the open space on other side of BIG D'S and they

wanted 40k to buy.

But maybe it was like Cuba Libre your only buying a Lease???

Ocean front property for 40k NO. That would be for the wood hut :lol:

The sand is extra

Mr Hillbilly
08-31-2010, 07:40 PM
Ocean front property for 40k NO. That would be for the wood hut :lol:

The sand is extra
Dont think beach was included only a hut and not much wood with tin roof.

mikelodge
08-31-2010, 11:07 PM
Dont think beach was included only a hut and not much wood with tin roof.

Many beaches in places like Mexico and Costa Rica and many other places are federally owned and you only own from a certain point above the high water mark. Even some in Hawaii------ enough development thoughts my head hurts.

voltage69
09-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Is carolina from siempre sol working somewhere else? shes such a sweetie.. funny too when i can understand her 200mph spanish.

vagabond
09-01-2010, 04:27 PM

I think you are right. What I heard was that the owner started the renovation to get rid of Herman, and rent it out to a much higher price.

JuanElGriego
09-01-2010, 05:04 PM
I think you are right. What I heard was that the owner started the renovation to get rid of Herman, and rent it out to a much higher price.

Much higher price?

The beach is dead.

He's lucky he had someone paying him at all.

Reminds me of all the NYC commercial landlords who raise rents forcing good tenants to leave and then sit there with an empty store for a year until someone rents it, then realizes business is bad and he can't make the rent so he stops paying rent and it takes months for the landlord to get a court order to evict him, and the cycle just repeats.

papi_sosua
09-01-2010, 06:56 PM
I hope Herman will be ok.

While recently I have not frequented Siempre Sol as much as in my virgin days, he is still part of the fabric that makes up Sosua; from a monger's perspective, no less.

renatososua
09-02-2010, 10:29 AM
Is carolina from siempre sol working somewhere else? shes such a sweetie.. funny too when i can understand her 200mph spanish.

She is still working there (not now because renovation) but will come back as soon as the work is finished. I phoned her last week and she his a very happy person. Always with a big smile.

renatososua
09-02-2010, 10:33 AM

Herman is coming back as soon as the renovation is over. I was there when the Dominican woman owner talked about the renovation last February and she didn't have any problem with Herman. They negotiated a new deal that's all. Siempre Sol will survive with Herman and Carolina and I'm happy about it.

Mr Hillbilly
09-02-2010, 10:55 AM
I think Herman got taken down a peg with this economy and all.

Seemed a WHOLE lot more humble last few times I was there compared to couple years ago.

Some guys went elsewhere when Big D's, Black Box and the others opened.

And the beer WAS colder.

I really don't have a preference which Beach bar I go but don't wish Herman to

starve.

JD426
09-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Herman is a good guy to know, as he pretty much knows every chica on the beeach, and if your spanish is lacking he can help you negotiate quite a bit.
Most of the other places although their beer may be colder, food selection more extensice, and they give out free chairs, they often wont have...nor care, to spend time to help you chat up a chica.
So if you are on the hunt he can be a very valuable resource. I did feel kinda guilty walking by his place to go couple hundred feet further down just for colder beers & he definitely took notice that we were all doing just that. But this is how competition works, it brings out the best in you. So if his Menu improves and his beer is frosty cold when he reopens, I will definitely be stopping by for a couple cold ones.

continentalmike
09-05-2010, 02:55 AM
Herman is coming back as soon as the renovation is over. I was there when the Dominican woman owner talked about the renovation last February and she didn't have any problem with Herman. They negotiated a new deal that's all. Siempre Sol will survive with Herman and Carolina and I'm happy about it.

Well, I think differently because of my personal info... which could well be, like some many stories in the DR, turn out to be complete bogus..

However, this info is not for me to divulge nor do I have a horse in this race.. we will see it when we see the bar reopen...

renatososua
09-07-2010, 07:49 AM
Well, I think differently because of my personal info... which could well be, like some many stories in the DR, turn out to be complete bogus..

However, this info is not for me to divulge nor do I have a horse in this race.. we will see it when we see the bar reopen...

Just received from a friend just coming back from Sosua. Baron wrote this on my Sosuagroup

"- stopped to see Carolina who is well said Herman told her they could be open again in a few days - Did not see Herman anywhere, rumor has it he has a new girlfriend." Mon Sep 6, 2010 5:43 pm

continentalmike
09-07-2010, 12:50 PM
tghanks for the info... let's wait and see if he actually materialises..

getrhythm
09-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Latest word as of early this afternoon is that this coming Friday is re-opening day. Here's a couple of pics from my visit - looks just about ready to go...

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/thum_128134c87d04f443db.jpg (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=85852)

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/thum_128134c87d1a0a41db.jpg (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=85853)

renatososua
09-09-2010, 07:58 AM
Latest word as of early this afternoon is that this coming Friday is re-opening day. Here's a couple of pics from my visit - looks just about ready to go...

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=85852)

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=85853)

Looks nice good pics thank a lot... wow wish I were there Friday.

renatososua
09-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Latest news from Siempre Sol. Called Carolina this morning, she told me that it is now open and Herman still is the manager, but she is not working there anymore... conflict with Herman... She told me "Herman mas loco que nunca" Well I will see in January what's up.

getrhythm
09-15-2010, 11:31 AM
Bar was open for business yesterday - still working on the kitchen and bano. Beautiful day at the playa yesterday - perfect temps and less vendors to deal with as they're cracking down on that out there too.

hugrad95a
09-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Bar was open for business yesterday - still working on the kitchen and bano. Beautiful day at the playa yesterday - perfect temps and less vendors to deal with as they're cracking down on that out there too.

So was there anybody at the beach yesterday? I'd be interested to know what Sunday will look like.

KoKi9290
09-15-2010, 02:00 PM
Spoke with Herman on Monday. Yeah, can you believe it, he was working on a Monday. And he is so skinny, Choirboy had to point him out to me on the strip or I wouldn't have recognized him.

He told me that the renovations, paid for by the owner, were to take two weeks but ended up taking almost eight weeks. Contractor didn't pull the permits as required and caused the delay.

Also Carolina is no longer there. Her decision according to Herman. She apparently hung in there all this time, turning down better offers, but changed her mind this last weekend. He said he had 6-7 "beautiful girls" wanting to work for him.

psriches
09-15-2010, 07:24 PM
Spoke with Herman on Monday. Yeah, can you believe it, he was working on a Monday. And he is so skinny, Choirboy had to point him out to me on the strip or I wouldn't have recognized him.

He told me that the renovations, paid for by the owner, were to take two weeks but ended up taking almost eight weeks. Contractor didn't pull the permits as required and caused the delay.

Also Carolina is no longer there. Her decision according to Herman. She apparently hung in there all this time, turning down better offers, but changed her mind this last weekend. He said he had 6-7 "beautiful girls" wanting to work for him.Is she on the stroll?? Just curious.

swiggy
09-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Is she on the stroll?? Just curious.

i doubt it... she lives with her motoconcho bf and she doesnt really like gringos, every time i point that out to her she starts laughing.

KoKi9290
09-16-2010, 12:29 AM
He said she had other offers while they were under construction but had turned them down. The way he was speaking of her recent decision, I inferred she went with another bar but no names were mentioned.