PDA

View Full Version : Am I going to get ripped off?

RickRock
04-04-2005, 08:48 PM
Here's the question. I am flying into Santiago on 5/4/05, and leaving on 5/15/05. I am stayiing a total of 11 days and have rented a car from Alamo for $332.10 US for that period. I think thats a good deal. However, I am afraid that when I go pay for the car in the end, they will charge me in pesos. If they do that, the car will end up costing me alot more since the dollar is weak. Will they do this or can I just pay the $332.10 in US dollars cash. How can I hold Alamo to their agreed upon price?

Thanks for you input.

Reel Deal
04-04-2005, 08:54 PM
Here's the question. I am flying into Santiago on 5/4/05, and leaving on 5/15/05. I am stayiing a total of 11 days and have rented a car from Alamo for $332.10 US for that period. I think thats a good deal. However, I am afraid that when I go pay for the car in the end, they will charge me in pesos. If they do that, the car will end up costing me alot more since the dollar is weak. Will they do this or can I just pay the $332.10 in US dollars cash. How can I hold Alamo to their agreed upon price?

Thanks for you input.If they quote dollars, you pay in dollars. Use a credit card and GET THE EXTRA INSURANCE!!!! That is where you can get screwed: damage to the car.

And get a jeepeta. Anything else, and you're asking for trouble. If it's your first trip there, you are in for a real surprise as to what they consider a "road" in the DR. Hell, the suspension broke on a nice CR-V one trip, and DT had a rock crack his windshield there.

I use AMEX; I'm pretty sure they carry the extra insurance for me even in another country.

RickRock
04-04-2005, 08:59 PM
Thanks Reel Deal. I will rent with Platinum Mastercard so I should be ok with the insurance. I just dont want them to stick me with more than what I agreed to pay as per their confirmation.l To avoid any misunderstanding, I will pay them at the end in cash. Thanks again

psriches
04-04-2005, 09:11 PM

Thanks for you input.I have rented from ALAMO a few times. The credit card company will undercut you on the rate but it is still worth it. They will get you for no more than about $25 for the entire 11 days. Definitely use a credit card for the insurance. If you want, just pay out in pesos when returning the car.

Here's how it works:

Alamo will quote you $30 us a day for 10 days(example). At the end, your total will be $300 us. However, they will convert that into pesos at the current rate(28 to 1) for a total of 8400 pesos. No problem! Now here's the thing. When they bill your credit card, it will be billed at 8400 pesos. But the conversion when you get home will be at the rate(26 to 1). That will bring your total to $323 us. So instead of $30 daily, the rental becomes $32. Not much difference for the peace of mind(name brand company and credit card insurance). If you want to avoid any extra's, just pay in pesos at the end.

Kevy
04-04-2005, 09:19 PM
Psriches is right, even hotels that quote USD then convert to pesos. I heard that they have to charge pesos to credit cards there. then you r credit card company will convert them back to usd to charge to your cards. The rates will be different.and you usually pay more. This happened both at Blackbeards and Eurpoa.

Dick Dawson
04-04-2005, 09:31 PM
Psriches is right, even hotels that quote USD then convert to pesos. I heard that they have to charge pesos to credit cards there. then you r credit card company will convert them back to usd to charge to your cards. The rates will be different.and you usually pay more. This happened both at Blackbeards and Eurpoa.

I can confirm this in regards to Blackbeards. If I ever stay there again, I will only pay in cash.

Kevy
04-04-2005, 09:36 PM
It took a month for theior charges to hit my card. Actually last year when I stayed at BB the peso went down in value and I ended up doind better this way. But with the peso relatively stable now you will end up paying more. At Europa they converted at 31, but were only exchanging at 28.

Don Tomas
04-04-2005, 10:20 PM
Last Feb I rented, when I went to turn in he converted my quoted dollar rate to pesos at 29-1.

I received 28-29 - 1 during the trip so he took the high side but I did get 29 the first two days.

When it went through on the credit card believe it or not I got 28.20-1 so it cost me like $10 more for the 11 days. no biggie

PS. Do not rent a car, make sure you get a CRV, Sidekick, or bigger. I have seen cars leave their oil pans on the roadway!

RickRock
04-04-2005, 10:36 PM
I plan on staying at the Europa, can I pay them cash instead of credit card so I preserve my US dollr rate? In other words, if they quote me 30 a night US, can I just pay them 30 US? What about the car rental companies, why not just pay them what I contracted for in cash, or do they I have to pay with a credit card. I have no objection to letting them hold thw car with a credit card, but when it comes to paying, I want to pay them in cash. Your thoughts?

JDR
04-04-2005, 10:37 PM
I plan on staying at the Europa, can I pay them cash instead of credit card so I preserve my US dollr rate? In other words, if they quote me 30 a night US, can I just pay them 30 US? What about the car rental companies, why not just pay them what I contracted for in cash, or do they I have to pay with a credit card. I have no objection to letting them hold thw car with a credit card, but when it comes to paying, I want to pay them in cash. Your thoughts?

Europa will take your cash.

Kevy
04-04-2005, 10:37 PM
You can pay cash at the Europa, no problem.

RickRock
04-04-2005, 10:42 PM
Thanks guys for all of your help

D_W_
04-04-2005, 11:48 PM
Call me nuts...why rent a car? Honestly, is it worth the hassle.

Pana
04-04-2005, 11:54 PM
Call me nuts...why rent a car? Honestly, is it worth the hassle.
I usually rent because I like to be mobile and Im there more than 10 days so I like to have a car knowing I dont have to depend on anyone for a ride.

BrooklynBeas
04-05-2005, 07:57 AM
If you plan on staying in Sosua then its not needed but if you like to travel like I do its needed... POP whoreclub taxi rides can add up and so do trips to Santiago!

Reel Deal
04-05-2005, 08:20 AM
Call me nuts...why rent a car? Honestly, is it worth the hassle.YES!!!! There is MUCH more to the DR than Sosua. A car allows you to get the real flavor of the country.

I can't imaging a trip there without one!

D_W_
04-05-2005, 08:24 AM
To each his own I guess...the thought is not appealing to me.

Pana
04-05-2005, 08:26 AM
Call me nuts...why rent a car? Honestly, is it worth the hassle.YES!!!! There is MUCH more to the DR than Sosua. A car allows you to get the real flavor of the country.

Same here Ive only been to DR once without a car and that was my 1st trip and never again, if I didnt have a car I would not have visited some of the places there I tell my friends who are dominican the places I visited they say Im more dominican then they are but I tell Im 100% Pan-American.

JDR
04-05-2005, 08:39 AM

You want a taste? Go 8 k torwards Caberete, and enter the campo town. 31 flavors there.

Don Tomas
04-05-2005, 10:10 AM

Also taking taxis at night in Santiago is a ripoff. North Coast, no car, no problem but anywhere else you need a car.

Besides it's so much fun to actually drive again, I don't drive in the states I just move along in long parking lots to and from work without having to think.

psriches
04-06-2005, 02:26 PM

Also taking taxis at night in Santiago is a ripoff. North Coast, no car, no problem but anywhere else you need a car.

Besides it's so much fun to actually drive again, I don't drive in the states I just move along in long parking lots to and from work without having to think.I love having a car during my stay. It makes "off the beaten path" trips much easier to do and cost less in the long run. I don't like spending my entire time on the strip. Some "semi" chicas don't want to be seen in hotels, just cabana's. Also, i like to go to POP, BB's, Santiago, playa dorado, etc.

will_blueprint
04-06-2005, 02:46 PM
yeah i agree with psriches a car and off the strip spot is a must for me.

Reel Deal
04-06-2005, 03:19 PM
Generally speaking, the more you go to the DR, the less time you'll spend at the strips...

It's nice to know it's always there if you want it...

guttaman
04-24-2005, 12:56 PM
When i send WU to my 7 novias online from my credit card do the credit card companies do the same thing when they go to pick up the pesos? I do not want to be taken advantage of.

Reel Deal
04-24-2005, 01:22 PM
When i send WU to my 7 novias online from my credit card do the credit card companies do the same thing when they go to pick up the pesos? I do not want to be taken advantage of. :rofl:

Cool new emoticons!!!!

Don Tomas
04-24-2005, 01:28 PM
When i send WU to my 7 novias online from my credit card do the credit card companies do the same thing when they go to pick up the pesos? I do not want to be taken advantage of. :rofl:

Cool new emoticons!!!!

Cool new avatar! :cool:

Tonto4
04-24-2005, 02:11 PM
I enjoyed my rental car tremendously my last trip. I put 800 miles on it in 4 days. I got it fully insured (because it was my first time driving there) and let them fill the tank at the end. Total charge: 8183 pesos. I used Alamo at SDQ.