PDA

View Full Version : Sosua to Cabarete?

krafty1
08-31-2010, 12:36 PM
I am planning on spending a day in Cabaerete on my next trip down next month, What is the best way to get to Cabarete, spend the day or half a day there, and then catch a ride back to Sosua (NG)?

Apos
08-31-2010, 12:37 PM
Guagua, taxi publico or a normal taxi. Varying prices from 15-20 pesos to 300-500 at the other end.

krafty1
08-31-2010, 12:42 PM
Thanks Ap. Is there a place to find the cabs? I don;t even remember seeing them while I was down there. Of course my mind and eyes were on other things.

I saw plenty of motoconchos but no cabs'

LJDMV
08-31-2010, 12:47 PM
There r a lot of taxis outside of the NG hotel and some on the strip. Most of the day.

Thanks Ap. Is there a place to find the cabs? I don;t even remember seeing them while I was down there. Of course my mind and eyes were on other things.

Señor Jimmy of Medellin
08-31-2010, 12:49 PM
There r a lot of taxis outside of the NG hotel and some on the strip. Most of the day.

You want public taxis not tourist taxis. You will get ripped off.

Apos
08-31-2010, 12:51 PM
Taxis:

there is a regular/tourist taxi stand at the corner of Pedro Clisante and Dr. Rosen, across the street from el flow.

I would take a publico from the well signed parada just across the highway from the Texaco station. Much cheaper.

krafty1
08-31-2010, 01:04 PM
Perfect, thanks. Yeah, I knew about the guys outside NG, just wasnt planning on paying $20 dollars each way like going to the airport.

JD426
08-31-2010, 01:13 PM
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?p=816063#post816063

see post # 6 ....
jesus Taxi service..... good rates...

LJDMV
08-31-2010, 01:15 PM
I usually talk to 1 of the taxi drivers on the block of the NG hotel and get in good with them. When I am ready to go some place I tell them what I want to pay in pesos and they will accept it no problem. Same thing for when I am going to POP airport. No way I am paying 20 for a taxi ride to the airport.

macula
08-31-2010, 06:21 PM
How often do the publicos come and how late do they run?

Señor Jimmy of Medellin
08-31-2010, 06:24 PM
How often do the publicos come and how late do they run?

They run 24 hours a day. They wait for a full load before they leave the base. You can buy up all open seats.

macula
08-31-2010, 06:36 PM
Would you suggest riding them at night (maybe between 8-11)?

Señor Jimmy of Medellin
08-31-2010, 06:36 PM
Would you suggest riding them at night (maybe between 8-11)?

I rode them at 3 in the morning.

macula
08-31-2010, 06:45 PM
I rode them at 3 in the morning.

Cool. I can factor this into my budget. Only four more months. :lol:

Oh, my mistake I was confusing the publicos with the guaguas.

Citynights
08-31-2010, 07:10 PM

:walk:walk out the gate of new garden hang a left....continue down street to the intersection.....DO NOT GO to the taxi stand acrossthe street (crooks)....continue to the main highway there is a building across the road....public taxi stand....you can grab the front seat for 50 pesos.... in one direction they go from Sousa to POP....the other direction they go from Sousa to Nagua first stop being Caberate...get dropped off in the centre of town where the bars are on the beach...;)

weyland
08-31-2010, 10:07 PM
... continue to the main highway there is a building across the road ... public taxi stand ... you can grab the front seat for 50 pesos ... in one direction they go from Sousa to POP ... the other direction they go from Sousa to Nagua first stop being Cabarete ... get dropped off in the centre of town where the bars are on the beach ...
Good to see you recommending the publicos. Guys here know I have made it my mission to divert people away from the private taxi crooks to public transport (publicos and guaguas).

Just to clarify a few points:

The paradas (taxi ranks) for Puerto Plata and Cabarete are actually separate (although adjacent). If you wait at the Puerto Plata one (which is the one with the shallow curved roof) you will die of old age before you ever see Cabarete.

Cabarete is not necessarily "first stop". Neither publicos and guaguas have set stopping places. They will stop wherever you ask them to. Make sure you leave your instruction to stop until the very last moment (Dominican style). This allows the driver to show off his skill at braking, and if he can startle a few pedestrians, carve up a couple of other vehicles, and shake up his own passengers he will enjoy it even more.

If you do the polite thing and warn him 100 metres in advance you will have 90 metres to walk.

Most publicos in that direction just run between Sosúa and Cabarete. Only a few go on to Nagua as passengers are thin on the ground beyond Cabarete.

Another option is the Rio San Juan guagua if one happens to come along before you have settled into your publico seat. They come in various sizes and colors but most are white people-carrying vans and all have this distinctive white band with red lettering at top of the windshield:

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/65684c7db22ab0c8d.jpg

Bhutto,BhuttoGolly
08-31-2010, 10:08 PM
:walk:walk out the gate of new garden hang a left....continue down street to the intersection.....DO NOT GO to the taxi stand acrossthe street (crooks)....continue to the main highway there is a building across the road....public taxi stand....you can grab the front seat for 50 pesos.... in one direction they go from Sousa to POP....the other direction they go from Sousa to Nagua first stop being Caberate...get dropped off in the centre of town where the bars are on the beach...;)

Or, you cqn cram in the back for like 25 pesos- have your coins ready.
It was 30 at night- I think more because it was late?
So, yeah a "publico" is a shared taxi. Small cars like Toyota Corollas usually

Citynights
09-02-2010, 12:41 AM
Good to see you recommending the publicos. Guys here know I have made it my mission to divert people away from the private taxi crooks to public transport (publicos and guaguas).

Just to clarify a few points:

The paradas (taxi ranks) for Puerto Plata and Cabarete are actually separate (although adjacent). If you wait at the Puerto Plata one (which is the one with the shallow curved roof) you will die of old age before you ever see Cabarete.

Cabarete is not necessarily "first stop". Neither publicos and guaguas have set stopping places. They will stop wherever you ask them to. Make sure you leave your instruction to stop until the very last moment (Dominican style). This allows the driver to show off his skill at braking, and if he can startle a few pedestrians, carve up a couple of other vehicles, and shake up his own passengers he will enjoy it even more.

If you do the polite thing and warn him 100 metres in advance you will have 90 metres to walk.

Most publicos in that direction just run between Sosúa and Cabarete. Only a few go on to Nagua as passengers are thin on the ground beyond Cabarete.

Another option is the Rio San Juan guagua if one happens to come along before you have settled into your publico seat. They come in various sizes and colors but most are white people-carrying vans and all have this distinctive white band with red lettering at top of the windshield:

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/65684c7db22ab0c8d.jpg)

I take the publicos from Sousa to Rio San Juan ...whenever I go golfing at Playa Grande ....its a must during my trips... the first time I did this it cost me $55 US return( private taxi).:(.. now its 50 pesos for the front seat & 20 pesos for the guagua to take me the rest of the way to the golf course each way .....140 pesos total= less than $4 US...:rolleyes::D there is always room for my golf clubs...

Dave Diaz
11-03-2010, 08:32 AM
I take the publicos from Sousa to Rio San Juan ...whenever I go golfing at Playa Grande ....its a must during my trips... the first time I did this it cost me $55 US return( private taxi).:(.. now its 50 pesos for the front seat & 20 pesos for the guagua to take me the rest of the way to the golf course each way .....140 pesos total= less than $4 US...:rolleyes::D there is always room for my golf clubs...

A chica I was with on a trip also showed me that if you want to travel in an uncrowded publico or you wanted just to be more comfortable (they tend to pack the car sometimes) you could pay for an extra seat. It still beats taking a private ride.

I'm also discovering that you could easily arrange for one of them to take you to the airport if you give them a heads up notice regarding time and all. Could make your trip to the airport anywhere from 300 to 600 pesos. Just a thought.

weyland
11-03-2010, 08:57 AM
I'm also discovering that you could easily arrange for one of them to take you to the airport if you give them a heads up notice regarding time and all. Could make your trip to the airport anywhere from 300 to 600 pesos. Just a thought.
Shouldn't be more than 300 as they will take you to Puerto Plata, which is three times the distance, for 400/500.

However I don't think publicos are allowed all the way into the airport. Whenever I have been on one they have always stopped at the barrier, leaving the passenger a five-minute walk to the terminal itself. Can anyone clarify this point?

Dave Diaz
11-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Shouldn't be more than 300 as they will take you to Puerto Plata, which is three times the distance, for 400/500.

However I don't think publicos are allowed all the way into the airport. Whenever I have been on one they have always stopped at the barrier, leaving the passenger a five-minute walk to the terminal itself. Can anyone clarify this point?

I've been dropped off in the airport by them before, but I do know they have to pay some sort of entrance fee to come into the airport which probably cuts into their profit.

I also was alone when I went, it was just me and a chica who came with me to the airport who rode there. I've been dropped off at the barrier too though. I think you could work something out with the driver.

You know something though, I remember staying at Seabreeze one time and usually I have stayed at Don ANtonio which is pretty close to the public taxi's across the street so I didnt really think much of this but was surprised at the riot I almost started. I had spoke to a public taxi about picking me up and bringing me to the airport, he came to seabreeze and picked me up but there were other transportation guys who were PISSEDDDD saying that my taxi KNOWSSSSS the rules that he is not to pick up anyone in this area because his turf is elsewhere. This guy who was also with someone else threatened to kill my taxi guy if they ever saw him there doing anything of that kind again...Was a little crazy because I had no idea there were turf wars...So i'm wondering if there is something similar going on with the guys who work the airport.

Regardless tho it doesnt hurt to speak to the public taxi drivers at the stop across the street from the Texaco. You could get their number and work something out with them before hand i'm sure unless the airport is now keeping them out.

This was all in 2009 so not sure how much has changed since then. And weyland I will keep those prices in mind on my next trip.

SeaWeed
11-04-2010, 10:07 PM
great info guys