PDA

View Full Version : I would like to say "I told you so"...

Don Tomas
04-06-2005, 04:52 PM
So I will.

I TOLD YOU SO!

I know some people feel that the Dominican people should hunker down and be strong while the new government makes hard choices but the people are fed up.

First it was the resorts and free zones, now people are rioting in the streets!

From Listin Dario & Hoy.
One injured and dozens jailed after protests in Cibao valley. Tires were burned and barricades were erected in Moca, Navarette, Bonao, Licey, etc. to hamper police efforts. Bonao was held prisoner by the protesters and police.

What are they protesting? The high cost of shit!

PS. These were suppose to be peaceful protests, but you know what happens when you have crowds of people.

What's next, general strikes? Which is a very common thing down there when upset with the government.

Pana
04-06-2005, 05:03 PM
Thats right they should protest, I would to with the way
the cost of things are down there are ridiculous and with dollar losing its value prices should have gone down and they didnt. If the dollar goes up than I understand why the prices are like that but if it goes down than prices have to go down. For example a snikers candybar cost about a $1.10 US that ridiculous :roll:.

psriches
04-06-2005, 05:22 PM
Maybe i shouldn't take the mountain route...... :(

JDR
04-06-2005, 05:46 PM
How can I help. Maybe some tires. Tell me.

Reel Deal
04-06-2005, 05:57 PM
"I told you so" and rioting in the streets do not change the basic, fundamental economic reality that NO governemnt in the freakin' world can change with a magic wand: scarce resources, and unlimited need.

It's like someone throwing a temper tantrum and trashing their house because they have too many bills, too much debt, too many hungry kids, and not enough income.

It took the DR many years, and many Presidents to get where they are today. Short of a Communist junta where all industries and means of production would be confiscated and nationalized ( a freakin' disaster-just ask Cubans), there isn't much that can be done SHORT TERM.

The DR needs an increase in per capita GDP to the tune of probably 30%-a freakin' HUGE number. It CAN be done, but would take 10+ years to do so in a constructive way. India has done it and they have a couple of billion people.

I CAN think of 3 things that could be done to kick-start the process:

1) Quit popping out so many mouths to feed. They have too many people chasing too few resources as it is. ZPG for 6-8 years would help.

2) Create a Civil Service system. Make government jobs not based on patronage. Have some consistency in governmental functions. Imagine what the Post Office or DMV would function like if all the personnel totally changed overnight when a new President is elected. Chaos, corruption, and unbelievable inefficiency.

3) EDUCATE YOUR CHILDREN!!!!!!!

BTW-got off the phone with the novia. She's gonna call around and get the scoop about what's happening. She DID say when I told her where the unrest was taking place that those areas have historically been ready to take to the streets at the drop of a hat; nothing new there, at least not surprising.

Don Tomas
04-06-2005, 06:04 PM

Actually the highway route goes through Navarette which is one of the cities mentioned.

The Mountain route while populated has less folks and no major cities.

Reel Deal
04-06-2005, 06:09 PM

Actually the highway route goes through Navarette which is one of the cities mentioned.

The Mountain route while populated has less folks and no major cities.But more pissed off ones...

Don Tomas
04-06-2005, 06:10 PM

The Mountain route while populated has less folks and no major cities.But more pissed off ones...

Tell them you know me it will be cool, I would say what I did last Christmas but you all would disown me and kick me out of the club...for being to nice of a guy.

Jimmydr
04-06-2005, 07:24 PM
Lets see. Only 150 miles to the Capital. I fill up a gas tank of a truk for 1000 pesos and 100 of them can go burn shit in the capital. ISOC fills up 100 trucks and 10000 can go and burn shot along the way.

freakaccident
04-06-2005, 08:41 PM
I hope this doesn't mess up the upcoming trip in any way. Im not too worried.

D_W_
04-07-2005, 10:22 AM
Unfortunately, it's going to get worse. RD is absolutely right, you need a fundamental change which is IMPOSSIBLE. As the country becomes poorer they self-perpetuate the stereotypical madness of more kids, going uneducated, becoming unemployed criminals and so forth.

I used to have this discussion with my cousin all the time on why poor latin americans do better in America than back home. They work harder...do things they would never do in their homeland.

The infrastructure of North America and Western Europe demands organization. Latin America is disorganized mess...a legacy left from the Spaniards. They raped and pillaged with no regard to real nation building.

The DR will get worse...not better. Period.

nuhomet
04-07-2005, 10:45 AM
As the country becomes poorer they self-perpetuate the stereotypical madness of more kids, going uneducated, becoming unemployed criminals and so forth.

Yeah, but doesn't that mean more future putas?????

See I can always see the positive in things...

Reel Deal
04-10-2005, 02:59 PM
Look around the world. There is unrest in places where there are too many people for the resources to support. A given land can only support so many people. When there are too many rats in a cage, they will eat each other.

This is the case for the DR.

If every family had 3 kids instead of 6, there would be plenty of resources to go around.

I don't have the #'s in front of me, but I would not be surprised if there is a direct correlation between net per capita GDP and population. I'll bet the the population has been increasing at a rate greater than GDP, resulting in a negative delta net per capita GDP. Not good.

That makes it REAL difficult for there to be ANY short-term solution.

To compound the problem, the potential economic chaos will drive investment away-the lifeblood of an economy.

The problems are many; the solutions few.

Pana
04-10-2005, 09:36 PM
Look around the world. There is unrest in places where there are too many people for the resources to support. A given land can only support so many people. When there are too many rats in a cage, they will eat each other.

This is the case for the DR.

If every family had 3 kids instead of 6, there would be plenty of resources to go around.

I don't have the #'s in front of me, but I would not be surprised if there is a direct correlation between net per capita GDP and population. I'll bet the the population has been increasing at a rate greater than GDP, resulting in a negative delta net per capita GDP. Not good.

That makes it REAL difficult for there to be ANY short-term solution.

To compound the problem, the potential economic chaos will drive investment away-the lifeblood of an economy.

The problems are many; the solutions few.
I have one solution maybe they can use about condoms!!!!!!

Kevy
04-11-2005, 07:01 PM
DR1 is reporting deflation for food , is that the case there now?

Lower prices and lower inflation in March
The Central Bank of the Dominican Republic is reporting that the inflation rate for March was -0.07%, and that the first quarter of the year saw inflation at just 0.75%. As a result, the family food budget got a small break. The Consumer Price Index (CPI) for March puts the annual rate of inflation at 4.29%, which aids the deceleration process and is a huge contrast to the 62.3% inflation that the country suffered during the comparable period of 2004. According to the bank, this is reason for optimism that the year will end with single digit inflation. Foodstuffs, alcohol and tobacco were the principle ingredients of falling prices with a -1.34% decrease in prices. Overall, this group of products has registered a continuous decrease in prices every month since September of 2004, with the exception of October. Poultry (-12.03%), red onions (-37.60%), and plantains (-12.95%) were the leading foodstuffs with decreasing prices. Transportation costs, due to increasing prices for crude oil, have increased by 1.33%, and vehicle prices have fallen by3.80% because of the decreasing cost of a dollar on the exchange market. See http://www.bancentral.gov.do

nuhomet
04-11-2005, 07:13 PM
I have one solution maybe they can use about condoms!!!!!!

The Pope and Catholic Church don't like condoms. Remember every sperm is sacred...

http://www.mwscomp.com/movies/mol/every-sp.mp3