PDA

View Full Version : Amable Aristy challenges CNM election

NewsWhore
10-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Senator-elect for La Altagracia province Amable Aristy Castro hasn't yet been sworn in as senator for his province. He has chosen to stay on as president of the Dominican Municipal League (LMD), a role that oversees state funding allocations to city governments nationwide. He was the only Senator elected after running on another party's ticket for his province, and it was expected he would take up his senate seat and be elected a member of the National Magistracy Council (CNM). The CNM is responsible for choosing Supreme Court judges.
But, when he was not sworn in with his colleagues on 16 August, the Senate PLD majority instead chose Felix Vasquez, a PRSC member who had won his senate seat for Sanchez Ramirez province in an alliance with the PLD.
Aristy Castro told Listin Diario that this meant that Vasquez's election was illegal, and only he qualified for the CNM seat that the Constitution rules should go to a member of a party other than that of the president of the Senate and representative of the second majority in the Senate. Aristy says he was the only opposition party member to be elected to the Senate, because Vasquez was elected in an alliance with the PLD. PRSC secretary general Ramon Rogelio Genao said the party would challenge the election in the Supreme Court.
When asked if he was not chosen because he had not been sworn in he told the newspaper: "I announced to the country that I would take the oath. Also, I am in the LMD because of an imposition by the PRSC."

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#7)