PDA

View Full Version : Diabetics flying with syringes?

nnjdave
10-13-2010, 07:01 PM
Well, the AllYouCanJet Pass caught up with me, went 4 weekends in a row, the first weekend I missed I had a heart attack. Doc has put in a stent, and gave me a ton of new restrictions, including waiting 2 weeks to get laid. Fortunately I'll be able to go for Halloween, barring any setbacks. The other thing that sucks is that he took me off the oral meds for Diabetes and put me on insulin.

My questions are: Can I fly with syringes? Can I buy syringes and insulin on the island without a prescription? Anyone out there with experience flying with injectable medicine?

It's been an interesting week, to say the least, but I feel pretty good now. Maybe with the improved ticker I'll get in more action going forward. Hope to see you guys out there soon.

eldorob
10-13-2010, 09:31 PM
Syinges are on the "allowed" list. I think the one requirement is that the prescription is made out to you of course. Put them in your carry-on so you'll know you'll have them when you land. And declare them when going thru screening.

Although when leaving the DR, I would put everything in your checked luggage. Even tho its allowed, who wants to get in an argument with a Dominican security when you want to catch a plane.

Nakom
10-13-2010, 10:08 PM
Dave - glad to hear you are ok and back on your feet. Hope to see you soon.

vewdew
10-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Yes you can, its Medical they cant refuse you to have your Insulin.

Any medications in pill or liquid form you can take on your carry on, just like Eldorod said, let them know about it, once I took a bottle of ambesol toothache medicine and its over the counter, and I told the guy and he said it has ok.

naptime
10-13-2010, 10:16 PM
the insulin isnt the issue. its the syringe.

i would think that its allowed as mentioned dave, since its sort of required for life for some people :)

i am sorry to hear about the news, but glad to see you are still with us.

i'll be down during halloween. going down in 2 weeks, but flying home ON halloween.

hopefully you'll be there. i enjoyed out chat back in july.

mikelodge
10-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Well, the AllYouCanJet Pass caught up with me, went 4 weekends in a row, the first weekend I missed I had a heart attack. Doc has put in a stent, and gave me a ton of new restrictions, including waiting 2 weeks to get laid. Fortunately I'll be able to go for Halloween, barring any setbacks. The other thing that sucks is that he took me off the oral meds for Diabetes and put me on insulin.

My questions are: Can I fly with syringes? Can I buy syringes and insulin on the island without a prescription? Anyone out there with experience flying with injectable medicine?

It's been an interesting week, to say the least, but I feel pretty good now. Maybe with the improved ticker I'll get in more action going forward. Hope to see you guys out there soon.

Dave glad to hear you are doing ok health wise. The legal version of it is that as long as you carry a copy of the written prescription and keep everything in the original pharmacy containers you can not be denied.

I always bring 2 copies of that print out you get of your assorted prescriptions one for my shaving kit next to the bottles and another in a folder with my Docs like an extra copy of the passport and all ATM or Credit cards you bring.

Even the Colombian military in the airport took one look at that print out and zipped me back up ready to go.

Hey keep an eye on that diabetes man.