PDA

View Full Version : the average budget to live in Dr

QueGuapo
10-21-2010, 10:30 PM
This question is obviously for the guys who made the big decision of living in the Dr.
Considering everything (apartment rent, utilities, food, entertainment etc...) what is the average budget needed in a month?
I mean, considering that here in the Us is pretty much $3/4000 in a "normal" life of a "normal person" I was wondering what is needed to live decently.
I mean an average decent apartment (let's say a 2 bedroom 1000 sq. ft) in a safe area with a little backyard, going out for dinner a couple of times a week, going to the gym, cinema etc...

onetosix
10-21-2010, 10:40 PM
This question is obviously for the guys who made the big decision of living in the Dr.
Considering everything (apartment rent, utilities, food, entertainment etc...) what is the average budget needed in a month?
I mean, considering that here in the Us is pretty much $3/4000 in a "normal" life of a "normal person" I was wondering what is needed to live decently.
I mean an average decent apartment (let's say a 2 bedroom 1000 sq. ft) in a safe area with a little backyard, going out for dinner a couple of times a week, going to the gym, cinema etc...

I live here in Sosua for $2200/month....and I consider that I live very well. I also travel to other countries from here from time to time and this amount includes paying for all my travel. In the last year I have been to Colombia, Ecuador,Thailand, and the US. I know others that live here on the same amount and live well. This amount covers EVERYTHING including all the sex I can possibly handle...and I'm not exactly slowing down in that department yet.

tonymd
10-21-2010, 10:44 PM
Do a little searching on this site, and you will have a lot of information to answer your question. That question has already been answered.

Dr Urbina
10-21-2010, 11:23 PM
My Wife and I just got back from a visit to the DR.We Stayed at the New Garden and met an american living at the hotel. I am sure he is spending more than $2200 per month. It all depends on how much sex you want and what you are willing to settle for. Of course if you get sick by eating at Bailey's you may need more. That place has at least one waiter with Tuberculosis so avoid it at all costs. Remember that in the states you will be getting almost no pussy for that same $4000 or $2200 . Like everywhere else you get what you pay for.

mikelodge
10-21-2010, 11:55 PM
My Wife and I just got back from a visit to the DR.We Stayed at the New Garden and met an american living at the hotel. I am sure he is spending more than $2200 per month. It all depends on how much sex you want and what you are willing to settle for. IOf course if you get sick by eating at Bailey's you may need more. That place has at least one waiter with Tuberculosis so avoid it at all costs. Remember that in the states you will be getting almost no pussy for that same $4000 or $2200 . Like everywhere else you get what you pay for.

Second TROLL Post please Mod Squad this is not a doctor at least not a legal one. To risk his license to give info about staying at NG where there are records and probably only one or two guys stayed with a wife please.

Overweight Dark Girls please WS or somebody hit this it is making me sick

hugrad95a
10-22-2010, 12:00 AM
My Wife and I just got back from a visit to the DR.We Stayed at the New Garden and met an american living at the hotel. I am sure he is spending more than $2200 per month. It all depends on how much sex you want and what you are willing to settle for. . . Of course if you get sick by eating at Bailey's you may need more. That place has at least one waiter with Tuberculosis so avoid it at all costs. Remember that in the states you will be getting almost no pussy for that same $4000 or $2200 . Like everywhere else you get what you pay for.

If you can open your mouth the Pussy is Free....But the food and beer cost money. Dude with that frame of mind you need to start thinking like a Dominican and not like American. Honestly, 4k a month in the DR is living like a rock star. I know people who live pretty well in American on 4G's a month.

Dominican city officials get fat salary, workers get pittance
http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/img/icons/print.gifPrint (http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/poverty/2010/10/7/37215/print) http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/img/icons/email.gifEmail http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/img/icons/bookmark.gifBookmark http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/img/icons/expand.gifSave to my profile (http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/my-saved-articles?action=add&article=37215) http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/img/icons/comments.gif6 Comments - last on Oct 10 at 12:22 AM (http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/poverty/2010/10/7/37215/Dominican-city-officials-get-fat-salary-workers-get-pittance#comments)
http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/img/bits/red-round-close.gifClose Gallery

http://www.dominicantoday.com/image/article/78/209x400/0/F3989D32-C038-4875-8A87-2A2037BBF291.jpeg
Gilberto Serrulle's brush with glory was brief...
http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/img/bits/blue-round-more.gifZoom Picture

SANTIAGO.- Responding the criticism by different Santiago sectors the Mayor yesterday defended the wage increase of the councilpersons, but revealed the City Hall workers’ meager salaries, 20 times smaller than those of the officials.
Gilberto Serulle said the councilpersons salaries were raised from RD$80,000 to RD$100,000 (US$2,700.00) “because of the taxes discounted” from the salary made the RD$27,000 wage hike necessary. “What’s been done is to pay sincere wages the councilpersons.”
At the beginning of last year the councilpersons passed the wage increase, but former mayor Jose Enrique Sued refused to approve it.
Serulle added that the City Council’s pensioners were also increased, from RD$600 to RD $3,000, while that of the road crew workers rose from RD$3,500 to RD$5,000 (US$142.00) monthly.

hugrad95a
10-22-2010, 12:01 AM
My Wife and I just got back from a visit to the DR.We Stayed at the New Garden and met an american living at the hotel. I am sure he is spending more than $2200 per month. It all depends on how much sex you want and what you are willing to settle for. ......... If you want top quality you need about $4000 per month. Of course if you get sick by eating at Bailey's you may need more. That place has at least one waiter with Tuberculosis so avoid it at all costs. Remember that in the states you will be getting almost no pussy for that same $4000 or $2200 . Like everywhere else you get what you pay for.

Are you and your wife swingers?

The Sage
10-22-2010, 12:18 AM
If you're hoofing it $1500 would be the minimum amount I'd target. If you purchased a car I'd add another $300 monthly for insurance upkeep and gas. Health insurance would be good to have. I hear it can be purchased for as little as $100 a month. Anything more than these amounts would be for women. You could do the novia thing for under $300 a month. A novia and two helpings of strange a week you could do for under $500. Then you could be a out and out hoe, fucking a new girl everyday with maybe an every now and then indulgence with Sosua's finest for probably about $1000 to $1200 a month. My estimate is total max (just a little short of vacation mode) with car at about $3200. However; with a little discipline you could have a very good time and a car with $2,700 a month.

QueGuapo
10-22-2010, 08:15 AM
If you're hoofing it $1500 would be the minimum amount I'd target. If you purchased a car I'd add another $300 monthly for insurance upkeep and gas. Health insurance would be good to have. I hear it can be purchased for as little as $100 a month. Anything more than these amounts would be for women. You could do the novia thing for under $300 a month. A novia and two helpings of strange a week you could do for under $500. Then you could be a out and out hoe, fucking a new girl everyday with maybe an every now and then indulgence with Sosua's finest for probably about $1000 to $1200 a month. My estimate is total max (just a little short of vacation mode) with car at about $3200. However; with a little discipline you could have a very good time and a car with $2,700 a month.

Yeah...my question was about average good life. I was not talking about whores... When I made an example of life in Us for 4000 obviously does not include prostitutes. I am just curious about how much you need for a good quality of life in Dr. There are many choices in the world and I am about to valuate them since my goal is to move to a stress free situation ( live in new York and is not really my type of situation).
Thx

Jimmydr
10-22-2010, 09:19 AM
Yeah...my question was about average good life. I was not talking about whores... When I made an example of life in Us for 4000 obviously does not include prostitutes. I am just curious about how much you need for a good quality of life in Dr. There are many choices in the world and I am about to valuate them since my goal is to move to a stress free situation ( live in new York and is not really my type of situation).
Thx

I think the best way to figure out your budget would be to make about 25 trips there over a 3 - 5 year period and then you would have a better idea.

The Sage
10-22-2010, 09:36 AM
Thx

Did you read my post? I gave you basic costs with and without women. If you're looking for how much it cost to raise a family and send the kids to school you're asking in the wrong place. Few if any of us have indulged in that type of lifestyle on the island. For that type of information go to DR1 and do a search.

weyland
10-22-2010, 10:35 AM
I am just curious about how much you need for a good quality of life in Dr. There are many choices in the world and I am about to valuate them since my goal is to move to a stress free situation ( live in new York and is not really my type of situation).
I think you are wrong in thinking that life in the DR is stress-free. There are many stresses here, just different from NY. They don't bother me too much because I am at the end of my life taking things easy. But if I were a young man who wanted to get anything done, professionally, artistically, socially or whatever, I would get very frustrated living here among a nation of retards. Then there are the constant security issues. Yes, they can be largely overcome by spending money, but you have to be constantly on the alert. Finally there is the almost total lack of culture here. No art or architecture, no serious music, no major museums, and so on.

And an awful place to bring up a family. Your children would either have to live in a gringo "bubble" or mix with the local children who seem to be more feckless and vulgar the higher you go up the social scale.

As ever, there are some honorable exceptions to all the above generalizations and they deserve credit for swimming against the current.

steviewonder
10-22-2010, 11:18 AM

After 4 yrs I still budget on the facts that one can live very well here on 10 times the average earnings of a Dominican. I’d say 6,600 pesos a month IMHO and you will avg. around $1,700 – $2,000 w/car, 1 bdr., pt novia, etc. As most will tell you here your real budget will depend on how fast you can learn where the savings are, and being prepared to change one’s lifestyle from being a visitor to a local. Especially when it comes to obtaining the different pussy that is available here and your willingness to down cost your ayuda to these chicas.:)

Nakom
10-22-2010, 11:46 AM
I have never lived anywhere except Canada so I am not in the know, but I do have one piece of helpful advice. Make sure you consider how long you plan on living in the DR. If you determine that your budget is say $3000 month and you want to live there for 20 years, 5 years from now your budget will be more than $3000 a month, more again in 10 years, ect, ect. Inflation is a very important, yet often overlooked, factor in your finances.

This applies mostly to retirees that are living on pensions, savings, and 401K's, because they do not have additional money coming in every month. If you have a steady streem of income (or a job) it is not as much of a factor.

I give nothing to I.S.O.C.
10-22-2010, 02:18 PM
I love this thread.. I wish I know more the better.. I just want to do this for couple of years to see how this all works out..

I think Weyland and Robert probably would know more about the expenses stuff..

One thing I think to cut down chica expenses is to talk Spanish..

Weyland do you speak spanish?

Pacoloco
10-22-2010, 02:38 PM
my question was about average good life. I was not talking about whores... You mean there's a good life without whores? :wink:

Agree with Weyland, no such thing as stress-free just different things to stress you out in Latin America!

steviewonder
10-22-2010, 03:53 PM
I have never lived anywhere except Canada so I am not in the know, but I do have one piece of helpful advice. Make sure you consider how long you plan on living in the DR. If you determine that your budget is say $3000 month and you want to live there for 20 years, 5 years from now your budget will be more than $3000 a month, more again in 10 years, ect, ect. Inflation is a very important, yet often overlooked, factor in your finances.This applies mostly to retirees that are living on pensions, savings, and 401K's, because they do not have additional money coming in every month. If you have a steady streem of income (or a job) it is not as much of a factor.

Your spot on when it comes to how much you will be spending in the future in the DR, or anywhere. My previous post stated on another trend is that I’m spending the same amount today that I did 4 yrs ago, vs. the exchange rate. The reasons that is true is that for at least the first 6 months I was spending higher as I was not aware of where the savings was. Then you add the money on chicas like I was a visitor, night clubs every night, refusing to change my lifestyle, getting shafted by local operators, and it was easy to spend 20 -30% more then what I was budgeting for in those early days. But patience won out, especially when I saw the amount of pussy around me during the daytime and in areas away from Sosua, then and only then expenses where reduced to what I'm spending today. If you move here and run with the cheetahs, then you better have a solid bank roll to keep it up. ;)

Mr Hillbilly
10-22-2010, 04:14 PM
My friend lives in Sosua in that AI that went broke up in the hills a little East of Sosua huge pool top floor apartment I think its 800 month rent. He has fixed income of 3500 a month and is broke by time another month rolls around. He has a car and drinks beer so it adds to his expenses. That and he is 59 with 17 year old novia that he likes to buy thinks for.

DMV
10-22-2010, 04:30 PM
If you move here and run with the cheetahs, then you better have a solid bank roll to keep it up. ;)

Amen Bro.

PapiQueRico
10-22-2010, 05:16 PM
I'm a bit surprised. $3000 a month is like a $50,000 yearly gross pay. Single people can live fine on that in the US.

gdogg
10-22-2010, 05:38 PM
I'm a bit surprised. $3000 a month is like a $50,000 yearly gross pay. Single people can live fine on that in the US.

$3000 a month gives you the good life in a tourist town. You don't need nearly that much to live nice in Puerto Plata, just a few miles away.

DCIronman
10-22-2010, 05:53 PM
$3000 a month gives you the good life in a tourist town. You don't need nearly that much to live nice in Puerto Plata, just a few miles away.

Exactly. And Santiago is even cheaper.:)

QueGuapo
10-22-2010, 11:40 PM

It obviously depends where.. I used to pay $5000 for rent in Manhattan.
Now i bought a new apartment in Williamsburg (Brooklyn)... so I don't pay the rent but still life here is crazy expensive.

QueGuapo
10-22-2010, 11:48 PM
Anyway... to be more deep in to my idea:
I am not thinking of creating a business in the Dr or wherever... I was jus curious on the monthly budget because my thoughts are to have enough money in few years to move somewhere else and be ok for the rest of my life. If then after a couple of years I wanna begin to work again, then I will do it.
I am fortunate enough to have my own business and I can stop or start whenever I want.
I know for a fact that here in the Us for example, if you have a solid base of, let's say 5 millions $, yes it's a good amount, but it's not enough for the rest of your life, if you are in your 30's.
You buy a house ( a nice one) and a lot is gone and then what? 5000$ a month and in 20 years or less (considering inflation), everything is gone, you are older and beginning everything again is more difficult.
In other countries, the same amount gives you the chance of leaving comfortable for the rest of your life....
In the Philippines for example, with a $2000 a month, you live like a king...

gdogg
10-23-2010, 12:14 AM
Now i bought a new apartment in Williamsburg (Brooklyn)... so I don't pay the rent but still life here is crazy expensive.

You're right, prices in the US are geographically relative. That $5000 Manhattan apartment can be had for $1000 in Atlanta, depending on what you're seeking.

The Sage
10-23-2010, 12:17 AM
3000 a month would be sufficient in Sosua, but even then you'd have to be disciplined. Things wear out faster there and you'd want to make a least a couple of trips to the states annually if only to pick up things you can't easy find on the island. The one thing that surprised me was as opposed to decreasing, my sexual appetite increased. I'd cover a span of 2 months having sex every day and sometimes twice a day. Where here at home I can go two weeks without thinking about getting laid. As Steviewonder noted, what kept blowing my budget was my refusal to leave vacation mode. If you're going to live there you really need to find something to occupy your time other than partying. I'd also strongly recommend getting a place to live that provides enough space for you to feel comfortable. One reason I found myself in the street so much was that my apartment isn't large enough for me to enjoy time just kicking it at home. If I stay there more than a couple of hours I tend to get cabin fever.

hugrad95a
10-23-2010, 12:46 AM
Young Weyland with all do respect their is Culture in the DR you have to go Santo Domingo.

Museums

Santo Domingo is the location of numerous museums (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Museum) dedicated to the history of the Dominican Republic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Dominican_Republic). Most of them are within the Zona Colonial District.[9] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santo_Domingo#cite_note-cultura-8)

Museum of Alcázar
Altar de la Patria
Naval Museum of the Atarazanas
Museum of the Casas Reales (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Museo_de_las_Casas_Reales) is dedicated to the colonial period
Museum of Duarte summarizes and shows the history of the movement and struggle for independence
Museum of Natural History (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Museum_of_Natural_History,_Santo_Domingo&action=edit&redlink=1)
Museum of Dominican Man
World of Ambar Museum
Museum of Modern Arts (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Museum_of_Modern_Arts,_Santo_Domingo&action=edit&redlink=1)
National Museum of History and Geography is dedicated to all of Dominican history, from pre-Columbian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-Columbian) up to contemporary times

I think you are wrong in thinking that life in the DR is stress-free. There are many stresses here, just different from NY. They don't bother me too much because I am at the end of my life taking things easy. But if I were a young man who wanted to get anything done, professionally, artistically, socially or whatever, I would get very frustrated living here among a nation of retards. Then there are the constant security issues. Yes, they can be largely overcome by spending money, but you have to be constantly on the alert. Finally there is the almost total lack of culture here. No art or architecture, no serious music, no major museums, and so on.

And an awful place to bring up a family. Your children would either have to live in a gringo "bubble" or mix with the local children who seem to be more feckless and vulgar the higher you go up the social scale.

As ever, there are some honorable exceptions to all the above generalizations and they deserve credit for swimming against the current.

MisterPink
10-23-2010, 01:03 AM

True,but without female sex. Only with one`s dog or cat.

And with more expats coming to Sosua cost of living here will keep increasing.

gdogg
10-23-2010, 05:34 AM

Uh...many bone many beautiful chicas and party hard stateside with $50K US annual income...except for the ones who look/smell funny.
:rolleyes:

weyland
10-23-2010, 07:15 AM
Young Weyland with all do respect their is Culture in the DR you have to go Santo Domingo.

Museums

Santo Domingo is the location of numerous museums (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Museum) dedicated to the history of the Dominican Republic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Dominican_Republic). Most of them are within the Zona Colonial District.[9] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santo_Domingo#cite_note-cultura-8)

Museum of Alcázar
Altar de la Patria
Naval Museum of the Atarazanas
Museum of the Casas Reales (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Museo_de_las_Casas_Reales) is dedicated to the colonial period
Museum of Duarte summarizes and shows the history of the movement and struggle for independence
Museum of Natural History (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Museum_of_Natural_History,_Santo_Domingo&action=edit&redlink=1)
Museum of Dominican Man
World of Ambar Museum
Museum of Modern Arts (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Museum_of_Modern_Arts,_Santo_Domingo&action=edit&redlink=1)
National Museum of History and Geography is dedicated to all of Dominican history, from pre-Columbian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-Columbian) up to contemporary times

Thanks for the useful list and in due course I will visit all these and maybe more than once. However I did say "major" museums.

"Struggle for independence" is a joke. The Dominicans were given their country when the Spanish walked out and later sold it back to Spain again to make a few quick pesos. The wonderful Dominican upper class have been trying to sell their country to anyone who willing to take it on (usually the US) ever since.

Mr Hillbilly
10-23-2010, 07:31 AM
I live on 1000 us in the usa per month. 300 of that is vehicle related.

Spend twice that on trips(or more) but that don't count:rofl:

But don't have ant debt .

Rent and mortages take good bite out of peoples budgets.

I would definately buy in DR IF I decided to live there but only after some time in Santo Domingo ;Santiago.

I like Santiago better for chics by far over Sosua but like the beach so---

:boohoo:

PapiQueRico
10-23-2010, 03:57 PM

And I am sure there are folks paying $25,000 a month in Manhattan also. You asked for an average budget and while real estate prices in NY are indeed crazy, $5000 a month rent is not even close to average.

A good friend has a very nice one bedroom on the UES in the 70's for less than half that.

PapiQueRico
10-23-2010, 04:00 PM

And with more expats coming to Sosua cost of living here will keep increasing.

Actually, I've lived in wealthy areas and poor areas in the US and the folks is the poor areas seemed to get laid a lot more. Like the Cubans say 'sex is the only thing Fidel can't ration, so we do it a lot!'

Seville
10-23-2010, 04:22 PM
I love this thread.. I wish I know more the better.. I just want to do this for couple of years to see how this all works out..

I think Weyland and Robert probably would know more about the expenses stuff..

One thing I think to cut down chica expenses is to talk Spanish..

Weyland do you speak spanish?

Weyland doesn't even speak English.

Seville
10-23-2010, 04:24 PM
If you can't live here on $2200 per month you must live a much grander lifestyle than I do.

donquixote
10-23-2010, 08:51 PM
If you can't live here on $2200 per month you must live a much grander lifestyle than I do.

i have been going to sosua for 7 years now and possible will retire there so i am always calculating on how much i will need. I agree with robert and others that you can live decent on 2200 to 2700$ per month and include everything.

dr urbina says you get what you pay for but sometimes you can also get the same thing in different places for a huge difference in money.

use your head and look around for the places where you can get good value for good prices, whether it be food, girls, entertainment etc.

a bit of research and some common sense and staying out of the vacation mode only and you can live reasonable without breaking the bank

SeaWeed
10-23-2010, 09:43 PM
I agree with robert and others that you can live decent on 2200 to 2700$ per month and include everything.

that is as cheap as you can live out of all the islands in the Caribbean
believe it or not - many islands cost twice that or more - been there - done that

donquixote
10-24-2010, 06:04 PM
that is as cheap as you can live out of all the islands in the Caribbean
believe it or not - many islands cost twice that or more - been there - done that

i tend to agree with you. The dominican republic is one of the best value destinations in the caribbean. The prices of condos are half or less than other islands. The tour companies from canada have more packages in the dr than anywhere else they go. the only place that may be cheaper for vacation packages is sometimes cuba, however the accomadations and food do not compare favourably.

visit, purchase, monger, vacation, whatever the dr is your best value in caribbean,,,that is until the russians keep coming and drive up the prices like they have made the area in cabarete double or triple in past few years

WickedWillie
10-24-2010, 06:08 PM
i tend to agree with you. The dominican republic is one of the best value destinations in the caribbean. The prices of condos are half or less than other islands. The tour companies from canada have more packages in the dr than anywhere else they go. the only place that may be cheaper for vacation packages is sometimes cuba, however the accomadations and food do not compare favourably.

visit, purchase, monger, vacation, whatever the dr is your best value in caribbean,,,that is until the russians keep coming and drive up the prices like they have made the area in cabarete double or triple in past few years

Really????????? Got any facts to back that up????

Rahn
10-24-2010, 09:50 PM
I am recently retired in the US with a part time job to help with cash flow. My $2,700.00 monthly income affords me a comfortable lifestyle in a very upscale Atlanta suburb. I live in a nice three bedroom house with 1,700 square feet, and a community pool. I pay cash for everything including my car, so I have no debt. I can't imagine paying more in a country that has a much lower cost of living. My plan is to travel to the DR three or four times a year, and enjoy the best of both worlds.

Pacoloco
10-24-2010, 11:00 PM
My plan is to travel to the DR three or four times a year, and enjoy the best of both worlds. I used to want to move to Central or S. America or even DR but have now begun to realize that for me your plan makes more sense. Keeping a home-base in the states and taking extended vacations wherever you please has it's advantages.

rajeevp
10-25-2010, 03:54 AM
I met a girl in Cabarete who I really like. How hard would it be for me to bring her back to the states for a visit? What would I have to do? I would really like to parade around my home town with this girl. I know she is just a hooch but she is sooo pretty. Has anyone brought one home? Am i crazy to be thinking about this? What do you guys think?

MrHappy
10-25-2010, 06:53 AM
I met a girl in Cabarete who I really like. How hard would it be for me to bring her back to the states for a visit? What would I have to do? I would really like to parade around my home town with this girl. I know she is just a hooch but she is sooo pretty. Has anyone brought one home? Am i crazy to be thinking about this? What do you guys think?

FORGET ABOUT IT! (in capital letters, no less)

gdogg
10-25-2010, 08:00 AM

Si...muy loco!!

:confused:

QueGuapo
10-25-2010, 08:20 AM
And I am sure there are folks paying $25,000 a month in Manhattan also. You asked for an average budget and while real estate prices in NY are indeed crazy, $5000 a month rent is not even close to average.

A good friend has a very nice one bedroom on the UES in the 70's for less than half that.

Well, first of all you are talking about a 1 bedroom and I had/needed a 2 bedroom since I need to have an office.
Second it depends on when he signed the lease: he probably did it a long time ago or in the last 15 months when the recession made prices go in different directions so some landlords, worried of not being able to rent, dropped their prices.

Seville
10-25-2010, 03:40 PM
I rent a small two bedroom house with a small pool. It is quiet and private. It costs me $630 per month. It includes cable TV, internet, pool maint. My electric runs about $60 per month. I do not have A/C. Health insurance $70-80 per month. Insurance for my scooter is 2000 pesos a year. Food costs roughly 40 -50 dollars per week (not including eating out). There are many places I can have lunch or dinner for less than 150 pesos. Simply Red and Baileys would only be my first choices for dinner once a month.

You have to keep in mind that you will not be in vacation mode if you live here. That is one "problem" I have encountered when hanging with board members. They are, and should be, in all out vacation mode. That is why they are here. I can't afford that. Having met Jimbo on a previous trip I wanted to party with him when he was here. I went out with him three or four nights, but that is not the norm for me. Plus Jimbo doesn't spend a lot when going out. It is a balancing act, budget wise, for me. You guys spend in a week what I spend in a month.

The other thing is I do not budget for chicas. Since living here for two months I think I have spent money in that area twice.

JD426
10-25-2010, 03:51 PM

U can marry her, or you can forget her and move on to the next one.

but They are not PETS.....

malescan
10-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Its the same as living anywhere else in the world...you live with what you got....some have millions some live on Dominican wages....you spend what you have

curiousdude
10-25-2010, 04:07 PM
The other thing is I do not budget for chicas. Since living here for two months I think I have spent money in that area twice.

Weyland doesn't cost a thing, does he? So you have to pay a couple of times a month for a little strange, no biggie. :p

Seville
10-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Weyland doesn't cost a thing, does he? So you have to pay a couple of times a month for a little strange, no biggie. :p

You are right. His old ass is free; but the clinic bills afterward are budget busters.:wink:

weyland
10-25-2010, 05:47 PM
My electric runs about $60 per month.
Robert, why is your electric bill so much? Mine is consistently around $20 a month for a physically larger (though not as nice, of course,) dwelling. I keep one ceiling fan running 24/7 and usually one or both of the other two is running. I don't pay electric for the washing machine because I use Billy's. I believe that neither of us has aircon? Do you spend a lot on heating the pool? Or is someone stealing your electricity?

Jimmydr
10-25-2010, 05:49 PM
Robert, why is your electric bill so much? Mine is consistently around $20 a month for a physically larger (though not as nice, of course) dwelling. I believe that neither of us has aircon? Do you spend a lot on heating the pool? Or is someone stealing your electricity?

Because his neighbors are stealing from him while you are doing the stealing.:eek:

Seville
10-25-2010, 07:15 PM
Robert, why is your electric bill so much? Mine is consistently around $20 a month for a physically larger (though not as nice, of course,) dwelling. I keep one ceiling fan running 24/7 and usually one or both of the other two is running. I don't pay electric for the washing machine because I use Billy's. I believe that neither of us has aircon? Do you spend a lot on heating the pool? Or is someone stealing your electricity?

The pool pump has to run around two hours a day every day. I was leaving at least 3 fans running 24/7 to keep the house cool. Now I only leave one running when not here. Not sure how much of a difference that will make. I actually did check the meter. Turned the breakers off and the meter was not running.

weyland
10-25-2010, 08:18 PM
I was leaving at least 3 fans running 24/7 to keep the house cool. Now I only leave one running when not here.
You'd better hope ErikS never reads those two sentences. He has a bit of a fetish about turning off fans. :eek:

Crossfire1
10-26-2010, 12:08 AM

I own a condo in Cabarete, so I hope to retire there some day. I'm at least 10 years or so away from retirement though. If I lived there full time today my cost of living would be far less than the $800 a month that the guy is paying to live in Las canas (Closed AI up the hill with the large pool). I would only be paying a $135 maintenance fee. This would leave me with $665 a month to fuck chicas with dumb ass novios like Rajeevp. By the way dude I will be going to Cabarete this Saturday, so your chica better not be trolling the beach because I will fuck the puta.

Bhutto,BhuttoGolly
10-26-2010, 02:26 AM
Weyland, you crazy old bastard! I love you...you call 'em like you see 'em. I think the same of Dominican culture, it's corrupt! But coming from you this has more import. I don't want to come off as racist.
But, I also thought- wait, you live in POP; isnb
n't there some cultural-scene in SDI??? Had to be SOME, no? At the very least, a Columbus museum or something.

Westy
10-26-2010, 11:23 PM
I rent a small two bedroom house with a small pool. It is quiet and private. It costs me $630 per month. It includes cable TV, internet, pool maint. My electric runs about $60 per month. I do not have A/C. Health insurance $70-80 per month. Insurance for my scooter is 2000 pesos a year. Food costs roughly 40 -50 dollars per week (not including eating out). There are many places I can have lunch or dinner for less than 150 pesos. Simply Red and Baileys would only be my first choices for dinner once a month.

You have to keep in mind that you will not be in vacation mode if you live here. That is one "problem" I have encountered when hanging with board members. They are, and should be, in all out vacation mode. That is why they are here. I can't afford that. Having met Jimbo on a previous trip I wanted to party with him when he was here. I went out with him three or four nights, but that is not the norm for me. Plus Jimbo doesn't spend a lot when going out. It is a balancing act, budget wise, for me. You guys spend in a week what I spend in a month.

We had this discussion Monday the 18th, at the New Garden and the Brittania Pub, didn't we?

I've seen the same question ("How much does it cost?") asked about live-aboard cruising, again and again, in magazines and books about sailing beyond the sunset. You could boil most of the answers down into one universal phrase: "How much have you got? (And how are you accustomed to spend it?)"

Your numbers are encouraging, and any punters who figure "That wouldn't be my style" ought to pay attention to the way they live life at their homes. We save up for several months to get down to Sosua for a week, and we're going to want to play, play, play while we're in town ... to get as much party in that week as we can get, and to poke every puta we could handle (damn the cost!) The notion of living that way all the time ... is a lovely fantasy, but it would soon pale, even if one didn't run out of money for bar-drinks and bar-fines (so to speak).

Thank you very much for your rational and good answers, and your kindliness in showing me around Avda. Pedro Clisante. Hope I see you again sometime soon!

Seville
10-27-2010, 09:38 AM
We had this discussion Monday the 18th, at the New Garden and the Brittania Pub, didn't we?

I've seen the same question ("How much does it cost?") asked about live-aboard cruising, again and again, in magazines and books about sailing beyond the sunset. You could boil most of the answers down into one universal phrase: "How much have you got? (And how are you accustomed to spend it?)"

Your numbers are encouraging, and any punters who figure "That wouldn't be my style" ought to pay attention to the way they live life at their homes. We save up for several months to get down to Sosua for a week, and we're going to want to play, play, play while we're in town ... to get as much party in that week as we can get, and to poke every puta we could handle (damn the cost!) The notion of living that way all the time ... is a lovely fantasy, but it would soon pale, even if one didn't run out of money for bar-drinks and bar-fines (so to speak).

Thank you very much for your rational and good answers, and your kindliness in showing me around Avda. Pedro Clisante. Hope I see you again sometime soon!

Good meeting you and welcome to the board.

onetosix
10-27-2010, 09:41 AM
I think the best way to figure out your budget would be to make about 25 trips there over a 3 - 5 year period and then you would have a better idea.

Yes....that is exactly what I did before moving here over a year ago.

onetosix
10-27-2010, 10:15 AM
3000 a month would be sufficient in Sosua, but even then you'd have to be disciplined. Things wear out faster there and you'd want to make a least a couple of trips to the states annually if only to pick up things you can't easy find on the island. The one thing that surprised me was as opposed to decreasing, my sexual appetite increased. I'd cover a span of 2 months having sex every day and sometimes twice a day. Where here at home I can go two weeks without thinking about getting laid. As Steviewonder noted, what kept blowing my budget was my refusal to leave vacation mode. If you're going to live there you really need to find something to occupy your time other than partying. I'd also strongly recommend getting a place to live that provides enough space for you to feel comfortable. One reason I found myself in the street so much was that my apartment isn't large enough for me to enjoy time just kicking it at home. If I stay there more than a couple of hours I tend to get cabin fever.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshy2k
Also if you wouldn't mind posting a sample budget so guys have an idea how you spend your income outside of rent. This really is great info. We appreciate it.

Reply by ONETOSIX:

These figures would be averages per month for the year.

The rent of $700/month is quite adequate in the places I go to be very comfortable. I often get a place that includes breakfasts so that is one of my two meals a day covered in the "rent". I also cook myself a fair amount but eat out when I feel like it too. I am in the US at my family's places several times a year and then my lodging and food costs are close to zero for those periods...they love having me visit and don't think I'm mooching off them. I don't wear out my welcome even though they are family.

A number of months I am in one place and not flying anywhere so the $300 travel would not be used that month or for several months...that would leave me $600-1000 for a one-way flight to my next destination or I would use a freebie with my milage plan and accumulate even more $$.

I can live quite nicely on $350/month for food. I usually sleep late in the mornings(wonder why jajaja) and eat a large late breakfast and then I only eat one other regular dinner later in the day with maybe some soup or fruit on the beach inbetween. I definitely don't deny myself...I love to eat! ( I don't drink or smoke so that could be a chunk for those who do)I'd much rather acquire my pleasures in other ways with my budget.

I don't need a lot of new clothes, I have a minimal wardrobe to travel with and if I need a clothing item most of the countries have places to buy clothes very inexpensively. Got a couple very nice shirts in Thailand for example for a total of $12.00. Toiletries are cheap and I even buy dental floss. I like to read and often find used books cheaply. I like to pick up small gifts for the family and chicas so keep my eyes out for intersting things.

Entertainment...mmmmmmm. I seem to have a full schedule on $700/month.

Rent....................................................$700
Food....................................................$350
Travel...................................................$300
Clothes,toiletries,books,gifts,miscelaneous...$150
Entertainment.........................................$700

Hope this general outline is helpful to see how really easy it is to live the good life on what I would think is a fairly minimal amount. One could do it for even less, but I think I live VERY well.

Jimmydr
10-27-2010, 10:17 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshy2k
Also if you wouldn't mind posting a sample budget so guys have an idea how you spend your income outside of rent. This really is great info. We appreciate it.

These figures would be averages per month for the year.

The rent of $700/month is quite adequate in the places I go to be very comfortable. I often get a place that includes breakfasts so that is one of my two meals a day covered in the "rent". I also cook myself a fair amount but eat out when I feel like it too. I am in the US at my family's places several times a year and then my lodging and food costs are close to zero for those periods...they love having me visit and don't think I'm mooching off them. I don't wear out my welcome even though they are family.

A number of months I am in one place and not flying anywhere so the $300 travel would not be used that month or for several months...that would leave me $600-1000 for a one-way flight to my next destination or I would use a freebie with my milage plan and accumulate even more $$.

I can live quite nicely on $350/month for food. I usually sleep late in the mornings(wonder why jajaja) and eat a large late breakfast and then I only eat one other regular dinner later in the day with maybe some soup or fruit on the beach inbetween. I definitely don't deny myself...I love to eat! ( I don't drink or smoke so that could be a chunk for those who do)I'd much rather acquire my pleasures in other ways with my budget.

I don't need a lot of new clothes, I have a minimal wardrobe to travel with and if I need a clothing item most of the countries have places to buy clothes very inexpensively. Got a couple very nice shirts in Thailand for example for a total of $12.00. Toiletries are cheap and I even buy dental floss. I like to read and often find used books cheaply. I like to pick up small gifts for the family and chicas so keep my eyes out for intersting things.

Entertainment...mmmmmmm. I seem to have a full schedule on $700/month.

Rent....................................................$700
Food....................................................$350
Travel...................................................$300
Clothes,toiletries,books,gifts,miscelaneous...$150
Entertainment.........................................$700

Hope this general outline is helpful to see how really easy it is to live the good life on what I would think is a fairly minimal amount. One could do it for even less, but I think I live well.

The age factor is missing from this. If a 40 year old retires, he may want more female company or have a larger circle of amigas.

Mr Hillbilly
10-27-2010, 07:05 PM
The age factor is missing from this. If a 40 year old retires, he may want more female company or have a larger circle of amigas.

50 or 100 dollars a day on female companoinship would blow the top off those budgets not to mention if he made trips outside the Island of Hispanola on frequent basis.

onetosix
10-28-2010, 01:25 AM
50 or 100 dollars a day on female companoinship would blow the top off those budgets not to mention if he made trips outside the Island of Hispanola on frequent basis.

You have to remember that "vacation mode" and "living here mode" are very different. If you have only ever been here on vacation then you would not understand about living here and the differences with regard to expenditures for various items in the budget. I made MANY trips to the DR for a number of years before moving here to live. My trips were usually ten days and I always brought $3000 with me. I spent freely on everything I wanted and usually went home with several hundred dollars.(stayed in hotels) I now live here and my budget is $2200/month. I NEVER pay for a chica what I did on my vacations(1500-3500pesos). I now pay 500-1000 pesos for the same chicas. When I came here on vacation I always felt like I had to be fucking a chica in order to maximize my time before I had to leave for the airport. I spoke less Spanish than I do now, and now the girls know me and know that I live here....that makes a HUGE difference in the bargining power with the chicas. I mostly pay 500-800 pesos. Some days I will see one girl, some days 3 girls, and some days none. I now have 365 vacation days a year...and believe me that puts a whole different perspective and feeling to the game. I have a great apartment for $550/month now. A number of you on this board have seen my apartment and I think would attest that I am living well. The chicas love coming here, I treat them very well and with respect. I get all the sex I could possibly want(and I like a lot of sex). I pay them as stated above...they leave with a smile on their face, and they call ME to come back. Four different girls called me just today, asking if they could come over. This is truly paradise and I am living the GOOD LIFE on $2200/month. I also travel on this budget...in the last year besides living here in Sosua, I have been two months in Colombia, one month in Ecuador, and six weeks in Thailand.

I highly recommend retirement as soon as you can...it truly takes less than most think to live a fabulous life outside the US.

MrHappy
10-28-2010, 07:09 AM
The pool pump has to run around two hours a day every day. I was leaving at least 3 fans running 24/7 to keep the house cool. Now I only leave one running when not here. Not sure how much of a difference that will make. I actually did check the meter. Turned the breakers off and the meter was not running.

It doesn't make any sense to leave a fan running when you're not there. All it does is move air. If you're not there to feel the air moving, it's wasted energy.

I've got a 6600 sq.ft. house, and my electric bill is less than 30 dollars a month.

QueGuapo
10-28-2010, 10:24 AM
You have to remember that "vacation mode" and "living here mode" are very different. If you have only ever been here on vacation then you would not understand about living here and the differences with regard to expenditures for various items in the budget. I made MANY trips to the DR for a number of years before moving here to live. My trips were usually ten days and I always brought $3000 with me. I spent freely on everything I wanted and usually went home with several hundred dollars.(stayed in hotels) I now live here and my budget is $2200/month. I NEVER pay for a chica what I did on my vacations(1500-3500pesos). I now pay 500-1000 pesos for the same chicas. When I came here on vacation I always felt like I had to be fucking a chica in order to maximize my time before I had to leave for the airport. I spoke less Spanish than I do now, and now the girls know me and know that I live here....that makes a HUGE difference in the bargining power with the chicas. I mostly pay 500-800 pesos. Some days I will see one girl, some days 3 girls, and some days none. I now have 365 vacation days a year...and believe me that puts a whole different perspective and feeling to the game. I have a great apartment for $550/month now. A number of you on this board have seen my apartment and I think would attest that I am living well. The chicas love coming here, I treat them very well and with respect. I get all the sex I could possibly want(and I like a lot of sex). I pay them as stated above...they leave with a smile on their face, and they call ME to come back. Four different girls called me just today, asking if they could come over. This is truly paradise and I am living the GOOD LIFE on $2200/month. I also travel on this budget...in the last year besides living here in Sosua, I have been two months in Colombia, one month in Ecuador, and six weeks in Thailand.

I highly recommend retirement as soon as you can...it truly takes less than most think to live a fabulous life outside the US.

I AM A BIG FAN OF YOURS!

Seville
10-28-2010, 10:45 AM
It doesn't make any sense to leave a fan running when you're not there. All it does is move air. If you're not there to feel the air moving, it's wasted energy.

I've got a 6600 sq.ft. house, and my electric bill is less than 30 dollars a month.

Will be leaving them off from now on. 6600sqft house? Is your last name Brugal? Want to adopt me? How bout I just live in the 1800sqft guest house for free?

The pool pump must suck a lot of electricity. And the days it is cleaned it runs more.

WickedWillie
10-28-2010, 10:06 PM

It's not beyond the realms of possibilities that an illegal connection is after the breakers.

You can check this when it's dark. Flick your breakers on and off rapidly if you see any nearby lights going on and off in the same sequence, then you possibly have the culprit. You may need another set of eyes for this.

Then in daylight find the cable, rip it out and give it back to the guilty party.

Smile nicely and say nothing.

I caught my thieving Dominican muthafucka neighbour this way a few years back.

But always remember it can be quite good fun here really!!!!!

Westy
11-30-2010, 10:29 AM

A great example of the difference between "vacation" mode and "live here" mode! I'd be confident that most of us, even the 'frequent fliers,' routinely spend as much in a week as onetosix, Robert13212, and our other Sosua expats spend in a month. And the expat has the "home court" advantage; he's around the town, a familiar face, not only at the bars and restaurants but at the local colmado, the grocery, the marketplace. He speaks the language, even the local patois. He doesn't just make the scene, he's part of the scene. The chicas can get to know him, get comfortable about him, and he can get to know them and discover who he can trust....

And think of the difference a chica would feel, comparing "Come on up to my hotel" (smash!) vs. "Come on back to my house, we'll put a couple of steaks on the grill, have a swim in my pool...." Which is the more inviting invitation? If you were a chica, which would you prefer? Then add in the fact that the sex-tourist is anxious to rack up a lot of notches before he goes home to Sex Prison ... whereas the expat can relax about it; he'll still be here next week, next month; if not Maria tonight, maybe Rosa or Conchita tomorrow.

But there's a bad side to the expat's life, too ... it's not all 'carnival' for the guy who lives here. Think of Robert's "POSola", which seems to be spending most of its time and most of Robert's money in the repair shop! And I'm sure the DR is not all that great a place to earn your money.

Back to the point, though - you can actually figure for yourself, how much it would cost to live as a tourist in your home town: hotels, restaurants, taxicabs, your bar bill, whatever. Compare that with your rent or mortgage, your grocery bill, the cost of maintaining and running your car. The proportion between "living at home" and "living here as a tourist" is likely to be ... what? 2 to 1? 3 to 1? Maybe more?

I'd say the amount any of us will spend in a week or ten days, sex-touring in Sosua, is equivalent to what we'd spend in a month living in Sosua or any other "tropical paradise". But, as always, your mileage may vary.