PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Tomas

knightcrawler
11-01-2010, 07:17 PM
I tell ya, someone doesn't want me in DR. Seems that ol'Hurricane Tomas might cause me to re-schedule for my 11/3 departure. I know there was a hurricane/thunderstorm a few months ago. I'm sure the storm had some kind of a negative impact on the Sosua action. I just don't want to get there only to have a ruined vacation because the Chicas don't come out or I have to leave the area depending on how bad things get.

I know there are some others arriving next week in Sosua. What are thoughts?

BAMF!!!

whynotme
11-01-2010, 07:19 PM
:Dlive for today your a long time dead

gdogg
11-01-2010, 07:23 PM
I tell ya, someone doesn't want me in DR. Seems that ol'Hurricane Tomas might cause me to re-schedule for my 11/3 departure. I know there was a hurricane/thunderstorm a few months ago. I'm sure the storm had some kind of a negative impact on the Sosua action. I just don't want to get there only to have a ruined vacation because the Chicas don't come out or I have to leave the area depending on how bad things get.

BAMF!!!

If they haven't cancelled your flight, you need to be on it!

whynotme
11-01-2010, 07:25 PM
i missed the major hurricane that wiped out a lot of cuba in sept 2007 by one week.

i didn't even know it was approaching when i was leaving.

what did i do?

i rebooked to go back.:D

i had to fly into veradaro as holguin was shut down. i rented a car and drove 8 hours to the other end of the island. my trip report is in the arcives with the devastation it caused.

i would do it again:D

but then again i am canadian eh:rofl::rofl::rofl:

jacknback
11-01-2010, 07:39 PM
I'm leaving Ft.Lauderdale at 11:59 PM Wed. 11/3.Unless the flight is cancelled I'm on it!!!!!!!!If your going on Spirit through Ft.Laud. PM me and describe yourself and I'll look for ya!

eldorob
11-01-2010, 07:54 PM
I'm leaving Ft.Lauderdale at 11:59 PM Wed. 11/3.Unless the flight is cancelled I'm on it!!!!!!!!If your going on Spirit through Ft.Laud. PM me and describe yourself and I'll look for ya!

As far as landing, you should be ok looking at the projected dates. But for anyone coming in Saturday you will want to watch the Huricane path real close. If you're flying right into it, they'll just cancel the flight.

The real pain is when they think they can fly in and decide to divert once you get close. I once lost 1 & 1/2 days of a 4 day trip when they diverted us to STG due to fog. Diverted on the initial approach, went to STG, tried again the next morning, still no good and went back to STG. They eventually put us on a bus and we got in around 10pm that nite.

Haiti's going to take a beating tho, all those people waiting in tents for someone to build them a real house. Even a Cat 1 or 2 is going to be devastating.

hwyrider37
11-01-2010, 07:55 PM
I agree with everyone else. If you book the flight don't cancel it. According to the experts, Tomas will stay west on the Caribbean side of the DR and a chance may take a ESE turn into Haiti. Me personally I don't think it will bad enough to effect the flight pattern flying into POP or STI. Here is one of many links if you want to keep a eye on it,
http://www.realestateradiousa.com/2010/10/30/hurricane-tomas-projected-path/

hey Jack, I'm on the same flight as you. 2 days tic - toc.

JD426
11-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Marco's ears are probably ringing... can anyone get him to join in on the discussion ? :rofl:

knightcrawler
11-02-2010, 09:58 AM
I agree with everyone else. If you book the flight don't cancel it. According to the experts, Tomas will stay west on the Caribbean side of the DR and a chance may take a ESE turn into Haiti. Me personally I don't think it will bad enough to effect the flight pattern flying into POP or STI. Here is one of many links if you want to keep a eye on it,
http://www.realestateradiousa.com/2010/10/30/hurricane-tomas-projected-path/

hey Jack, I'm on the same flight as you. 2 days tic - toc.

As much as it pains me to do so, I'm afraid I'm going to have to push my plans off for a week. I don't want to take the gamble of getting there and then having a crappy time due to heavy torrential rain or worse.:(

BAMF!!!

TC
11-02-2010, 12:00 PM
I'm scheduled to fly in Friday. Unless they cancel the flight, I will be on it. If they thought it was too dangerous to fly, they would cancel it.

I'm not worried about rain while I'm there. The beach would be out, but this is one place where I think I could hang out in a covered outdoor bar (NG, Cigar, etc.) and have a great time, or grab a chica or 2 and try to figure out a way to have some fun indoors. We could probably think of something.

I drank away a long afternoon rainstorm in Negril once, at an outfdoor covered bar, hanging out with the girls and other mongers, and having a great time. When it was over, I actually wished it would have lasted a while longer.

SeaWeed
11-02-2010, 12:36 PM
the biggest concern you have to look at is the aftermath of a hurricane or a large tropical storm
as it very devasting to these islands - even a small one reaks havoc for weeks and even months after
it's not a lot of fun with no Chicas around and it's very uncomfortable with no electric, no A/C, no ice, bad roads, trashed beach, no gas, warm beer, closed bars and restaurants, no Internet, no TV, no fans, no hot water, no nothing
sure some places have generators but trust me when I say you don't want to be around after one of these hit
I'd say it is like camping and that is being nice about it and it certainly does ruin a vacation that you have paid a lot of money for
been there - done that

weyland
11-02-2010, 12:48 PM
I am betting the tropical storm (no longer a hurricane) will have minimal effect on goings-on in Sosua or the North Coast. I am not a local business-owner touchy about the effect on my trade so I won't be resigning in a huff about the issue. :)

If it is no trouble to postpone your trip, then by all means do so if you lose nothing, but if you are already committed to this week I wouldn't worry too much unless you were planning to stay in the campo.

Let's see if I am right. Either way I don't care, though I may be shelling out a few pesos to help if some of my Haitian friends living in shacks get hit.

TC
11-02-2010, 12:51 PM
the biggest concern you have to look at is the aftermath of a hurricane or a large tropical storm
as it very devasting to these islands - even a small one reaks havoc for weeks and even months after
it's not a lot of fun with no Chicas around and it's very uncomfortable with no electric, no A/C, no ice, bad roads, trashed beach, no gas, warm beer, closed bars and restaurants, no Internet, no TV, no fans, no hot water, no nothing
sure some places have generators but trust me when I say you don't want to be around after one of these hit
I'd say it is like camping and that is being nice about it and it certainly does ruin a vacation that you have paid a lot of money for
been there - done that

Who said anything about no Chicas around?

Besides, I'm staying at BB, which I know has generators, and NG, which I'm not sure about, but I'm willing to bet does.

I'm going.

Kennilingus
11-02-2010, 08:26 PM
As much as it pains me to do so, I'm afraid I'm going to have to push my plans off for a week. I don't want to take the gamble of getting there and then having a crappy time due to heavy torrential rain or worse.:(

BAMF!!!

Your sig is BAMF ... is that Bad Ass Mo Fo?:rolleyes:

It can't be ... no Bad Ass Mo Fo would cancel a trip because it might rain!!!

Would they? :confused:

Talis
11-03-2010, 12:04 AM

BAMF!!!

I am flying out on the third as well.. (hell 8.5 hours from now! - I really should get to bed). If anything I hope it hits just hard enough to close the airports when I am due to leave... C'mon Tomas!

weyland
11-03-2010, 08:44 AM
Your sig is BAMF ... is that Bad Ass Mo Fo?:rolleyes:

It can't be ... no Bad Ass Mo Fo would cancel a trip because it might rain!!!

Would they? :confused:
Maybe this member is of Dominican descent? Dominicans think they will dissolve if touched by a drop of rain.

We all know that locals won't open the fridge door when ironing as the contrast between hot and cold would kill them. Well, yesterday I asked my domestica why she wasn't getting on with the ironing while the city power was still on (I have an inversor but don't run the iron, the fridge or the water-heater off it). She said that it was going to start raining and if she was ironing while it was raining she might suffer a heart attack. I am not sure if this was a spin-off from the other phobia or a fear of electrocution if rain-water got into the circuit (perhaps well-founded in view of the wiring in most Haitian homes).

jose1234
11-03-2010, 09:04 AM
I don't know about the Chicas per se, but I bet the sexlection will be better if there is a storm. Also, my best vacations have been to locations where there have been problems... Often you get the run of the hotel/resort and area without the crowds...if that is what you like... I'm in Cabarete and run a small hotel I just bought here. We had storms last night and the water pressure is down to a trickle... This place is wonderful, but in the DR, there is always something going on... The land of a million surprises per day...

TC
11-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Dominicans think they will dissolve if touched by a drop of rain.

I thought that only applied to chicas and their hair.

weyland
11-03-2010, 03:45 PM
I thought that only applied to chicas and their hair.
Have you ever tried to find a motoconcho when it is raining? The men are wussies too.

Gladiator
11-03-2010, 03:55 PM
I am not sure if this was a spin-off from the other phobia or a fear of electrocution if rain-water got into the circuit (perhaps well-founded in view of the wiring in most Haitian homes).

Or electrocution if a lightning bolt hits a power line - she wouldn't be the first to die that way.

Nakom
11-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Or electrocution if a lightning bolt hits a power line - she wouldn't be the first to die that way.

When lightning strikes it looks for the fastest path to ground. It can travel much faster through air to the ground (normally 30 feet) than it can through a resistive wire, into your house, through an electronic device, through you and out your feet, to the ground.

Your information is an 'old wives tale'.

Gladiator
11-03-2010, 04:48 PM
When lightning strikes it looks for the fastest path to ground. It can travel much faster through air to the ground (normally 30 feet) than it can through a resistive wire, into your house, through an electronic device, through you and out your feet, to the ground.

Your information is an 'old wives tale'.

Enjoy the read...

http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/overview.htm

Indoor Activities: Inside buildings, stay off corded phones, computers and other electrical equipment that put you in direct contact with electricity.

SeaWeed
11-03-2010, 08:26 PM
gonna get real wet in Sosua

daddy999
11-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Who said anything about no Chicas around?

Besides, I'm staying at BB, which I know has generators, and NG, which I'm not sure about, but I'm willing to bet does.

I'm going.

Good to hear you are going to be there. Dunedain and I will be coming this weekend as well. Actually, he will be there tomoroow and I arrive friday. What do you look like? We want to be on the lookout for you.

afroski
11-03-2010, 09:20 PM
I don't know about the Chicas per se, but I bet the sexlection will be better if there is a storm. Also, my best vacations have been to locations where there have been problems... Often you get the run of the hotel/resort and area without the crowds...if that is what you like... I'm in Cabarete and run a small hotel I just bought here. We had storms last night and the water pressure is down to a trickle... This place is wonderful, but in the DR, there is always something going on... The land of a million surprises per day...

I'm not sure if this is the right thread but can you tell us more about your hotel in Cabarete. I'm coming to Cabarete in a couple of weeks and might be interested in staying there.

Nakom
11-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Enjoy the read...

http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/overview.htm

Indoor Activities: Inside buildings, stay off corded phones, computers and other electrical equipment that put you in direct contact with electricity.

You are gulable my friend. What that information fails to mention is the number of deaths that occured due to lightning coming into thier houses through electrical lines. I bet it is 0-1 per year.

That is a government warning - and governments warn people about everything no matter how small the odds.

getrhythm
11-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Have you ever tried to find a motoconcho when it is raining? The men are wussies too.

Anything that keeps more motos off the streets is a good thing in my book. Sometimes I pray for rain just for that very purpose...

Gladiator
11-04-2010, 03:05 PM
You are gulable my friend. What that information fails to mention is the number of deaths that occured due to lightning coming into thier houses through electrical lines. I bet it is 0-1 per year.

That is a government warning - and governments warn people about everything no matter how small the odds.

The point is not betting on what might or might not happen, the point is knowing the truth, which is clearly stated in that link.

FritoBandito
11-04-2010, 03:31 PM
Storm Track:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at1.shtml?5-daynl

Wind Speed Probablities:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/144614.shtml?tswind120#contents

Doesn't look like the North Coast should get more than a heavy rainstorm
(maybe).......

TC
11-04-2010, 05:30 PM

I don't even ride those things in perfect weather. I am King of the Wussies.

TC
11-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Good to hear you are going to be there. Dunedain and I will be coming this weekend as well. Actually, he will be there tomoroow and I arrive friday. What do you look like? We want to be on the lookout for you.

Picture a very handsome man that the chicas fight over to see which one gets to be the first one to suck his dick for free.

I'm not him.

I'll be the one with a barstool attached to his ass.

I look forward to meeting you guys too!

psriches
11-05-2010, 06:48 AM
Friday November 5th 6:30am

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/42094cd3e055d20d6.jpg

Kevy
11-05-2010, 07:03 AM
Friday November 5th 6:30am

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/42094cd3e055d20d6.jpg)

LM should be ok in Havana.

whynotme
11-05-2010, 07:21 AM
LM should be ok in Havana.
he is doing indoor sports this trip so he may not even notice the weather:rofl:

MrHappy
11-05-2010, 07:25 AM
I can tell ya we're getting wet in Santo Domingo. It's been coming down like cats and dogs.

Tomas has been upgraded to a Clase I hurricane.

Folks in Haiti ain't gonna be happy.

jose1234
11-05-2010, 08:30 AM
I'm not sure if this is the right thread but can you tell us more about your hotel in Cabarete. I'm coming to Cabarete in a couple of weeks and might be interested in staying there.

With respect to the board and people that started it, I will refrain from adverstising my small hotel. I am running it with my wife and it's not a fully chica friendly location right now. It's a budget hotel located along the beach with a pool and small bar. You can bring chicas here at night, but not during the day as we have guests we don't want to discourage... Also, we do not have safes in the room...so you would have to take a bit of a risk. I've got good 24/7 security and lock the place up at night...and also live on premis...

In the future, I could make the place more chica friendly, but because we are not in Sosua, I'm not sure I would get enough business to go fully that way. I know that Teddy's place in Cabarete is Chica friendly, but it's not a hotel I would want to hang out at during the day...

By the way, its lightly raining right now and winds are calm in Cabarete... Waiting to see if we get any big rains and wind... Surf is a bit high though...

All the best!

weyland
11-05-2010, 11:30 AM
With respect to the board and people that started it, I will refrain from adverstising my small hotel.

I can't imagine anyone would object if posted this in the Cabarete section with the name and location of the hotel, emphasising it is not chica-friendly and with a few pictures if you wanted. Sometimes some of us need such hotels for friends and family.

Different matter if you repeatedly plugged it, though some here seem to be allowed to do even that.

knightcrawler
11-05-2010, 06:34 PM
I can tell ya we're getting wet in Santo Domingo. It's been coming down like cats and dogs.

Tomas has been upgraded to a Clase I hurricane.

Folks in Haiti ain't gonna be happy.

Glad I waited now.

BAMF!!!