PDA

View Full Version : laptop security

deezl
11-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Anyone who takes their laptop or netbook on the road (pretty much anywhere, not just Sosua/DR) should install this (http://preyproject.com/) program.

Prey is open-source (free) software that runs in the background. If your laptop is stolen and you have access to another computer (or web-enabled phone) you can use your personal code to mark your laptop as missing. what then happens is you get emailed or view online reports that will tell you if the laptop is online, show you the local ip address, a google map location, and take snapshots of the desktop and (if your laptop has a webcam) of anyone sitting in front of the laptop. whoever has taken the laptop will have no idea this process is running.

it can even be set to automatically connect to the internet at specific intervals just to check if it's been 'marked' as lost. you can remotely delete stored passwords, outlook data, even password-lock the system.

it's an essential 'just in case' tool to have installed on your machine, imho.

http://preyproject.com/

naptime
11-03-2010, 06:28 PM
very very cool !!

i have something similar for my droid :)

i will definatley check this out :)

lobonegro
11-03-2010, 06:31 PM
thanks a lot...I just bought a new laptop i intend to take on my travels

hioctane
11-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Wow.. interesting software.. Thanks.. will have to check it out!

MrHappy
11-05-2010, 09:33 AM
I'm downloading it now. I also asked my IT folks to take a look at it. If it's as good as it sounds, it's a must have for me!

Pacoloco
11-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Is it freeware?

edit: oops sorry for dumb question I see it now in you original post

deezl
11-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Is it freeware?

yes, all open-source software is freeware

senorrobby
09-30-2011, 11:11 AM
I am planning on bringing my 15" laptop and am wondering if it will fit in the safe? is there a worry about it being stolen either at BB's or New Garden?

naptime
09-30-2011, 12:26 PM
I have never been to BB's

but, IIRC new garden has different sized safes in the old and new wing. I think.

I stayed in the old, and my laptop did not fit in the safe.

I thought I remember someone saying the new wing could hold a laptop.

at any rate..... Two villas, two different condos, and two different hotels, I've never had ANYTHING stolen.

well, a camera from a chica I was fighting with, but that's a different story.

at every place in sosua, I usually forget to grab my coins in the morning, and they are left lying wherever. I always return to find them neatly stacked in an ashtray.

I've found sosua to be different than the us where theft is concerned.

it's customary to leave tips for the cleaning staff at then of the trip. They don't want to jeopardize that. Nor do they want to lose their jobs over accusations.

mho
09-30-2011, 12:47 PM
Same safes in the old and new wing.

A 15.4 might fit at an angle in the safe but now I just bring a netbook.

BTW, The old wing has a large dresser that you can secure with a small cable lock.

MrHappy
09-30-2011, 02:59 PM
I am planning on bringing my 15" laptop and am wondering if it will fit in the safe? is there a worry about it being stolen either at BB's or New Garden?

Why not just use a security cable, and wrap it around something, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Noteguard-Universal-Notebook-Laptop-Security/dp/B001EAQZDQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1317410113&sr=8-3

A laptop can't be stolen without totally fucking it up if you have one of these.(unless the chicas is carrying a hacksaw)

dunedain
10-01-2011, 10:41 AM
You don't have to worry about that at BB. The safe will not fit your laptop but it doesn't matter since theft is a non issue there. Many factors make it 99.9% for theft to happen there. Sosua like the others have said is a different story and its best to take there advice.