PDA

View Full Version : November Sosua Food Updates

mikelodge
11-17-2010, 11:27 PM
Anybody been up the hill to Chiles Thai restaurant lately?

How about some Cabarete updates any changes there on the food scene.

Of course Sosua had the chicken stand problem Robert was going to check on but I didn't hear how late are they open now?

That food truck still selling during the day down by Waterfront the truck with the burritos?

Let's talk RECENT food, did anyone act on my tip and start offering a Gyro Sandwich hmmm in Sosua probably not still tunnel vision.

Seville
11-18-2010, 11:22 AM
Anybody been up the hill to Chiles Thai restaurant lately?

How about some Cabarete updates any changes there on the food scene.

Of course Sosua had the chicken stand problem Robert was going to check on but I didn't hear how late are they open now?

That food truck still selling during the day down by Waterfront the truck with the burritos?

Let's talk RECENT food, did anyone act on my tip and start offering a Gyro Sandwich hmmm in Sosua probably not still tunnel vision.

The chicken stands on the corner are gone. That corner lot has been fenced in. I have not been to the Thai place even though it is up the road from where I live. I have been eating more often at a little fish place in Los Charamicos. Stopped there the other day with anther guy and we had whole fried fish, fries, salad and split a large beer. 380 pesos.

Also heard that the restaurant I used to frequent in Los Charamicos is reopening. I believe the same woman and her husband will be running the place. I think they open on Monday so I will check it out early next week. I miss those big 100 peso meals for lunch.

mikelodge
11-18-2010, 11:32 AM
The chicken stands on the corner are gone. That corner lot has been fenced in. I have not been to the Thai place even though it is up the road from where I live. I have been eating more often at a little fish place in Los Charamicos. Stopped there the other day with anther guy and we had whole fried fish, fries, salad and split a large beer. 380 pesos.

Also heard that the restaurant I used to frequent in Los Charamicos is reopening. I believe the same woman and her husband will be running the place. I think they open on Monday so I will check it out early next week. I miss those big 100 peso meals for lunch.

Are you up by Los Canos then I would guess? I look forward to checking out the fish place in L. C. , I do remember eating at one when we went to a place over there to buy some shrimp and lobster where they sell them down that back street.

Robert that is terrible news to me about the Chicken stands being gone.
I used to love to grab a bird for the late night munchies to keep in the refrigerator.

Have they reopened somewhere else??

I know there was that nursery type place on Martinez that cooked lots of chicken but didn't sell them there kind of half way between Coco and Voramar on the south side on the corner. lots of bushes in pots and several grills under a pavillion type thing.

Thanks for the current news.

ralphie1
11-18-2010, 11:44 AM

robert, as i like to get off the beaten path to eat, how does one find the fish place or the other restaraunt that is reopening. start at the stairs off the beach, about the only place i know of to start.

also, where is this thai place?

thanks

hwyrider37
11-18-2010, 12:43 PM
The chicken stands on the corner are gone. That corner lot has been fenced in.

Wasn't one of them ( or someone ) talking about putting the chicken stand in the empty bar across the street on the corner? I know they don't own it, but I thought we heard something like that the night we went by there.

The trip before last I had them bring me a whole one over to the four roses about every night. I really liked that spot. I think we grab 8-10 for the b-day party last week.

swiggy
11-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Ive eaten at the Pescaderia that is on the main road in Los Charamicos. Its on the north side of the road east of the Gas station. I don't remember how much but it was inexpensive and very good. You can buy just the fish from them too, already cleaned and you can cook it yourself. Ive done that a few times, they usually have a few different types of fish to choose from.

JD426
11-18-2010, 01:14 PM
Wasn't one of them ( or someone ) talking about putting the chicken stand in the empty bar across the street on the corner? I know they don't own it, but I thought we heard something like that the night we went by there.

The trip before last I had them bring me a whole one over to the four roses about every night. I really liked that spot. I think we grab 8-10 for the b-day party last week.

U mean the place that used to be Eds Sports bar or something like that, and most recently it was Samba Bar ? Its directly across From where Susannas is now. That would be a PRIMO location for a BIG chicken Place. Presidentes for 50 pesos, and grilled Chicken, I would be there every day.

mikelodge
11-18-2010, 05:50 PM

I was talking about the chicken stands across PC from by Europa. Those are the ones we had discussed in the D'Piero thread about how late they were open so I assumed those are the ones Robert says are closed?

mikelodge
11-18-2010, 05:53 PM
robert, as i like to get off the beaten path to eat, how does one find the fish place or the other restaraunt that is reopening. start at the stairs off the beach, about the only place i know of to start.

thanks

Don't know from steps Ralphie but by car you go toward the airport above the beach to Los Charmicos.

Chiles Thai Restaurant and the Thai massage place are up the hill at Mulatta past all the condos toward the end then to the left follow the sign by the white security shack that has never anyone in it

jose1234
11-18-2010, 06:24 PM
I was at the Thai place two weeks ago and it was good. If you want to impress someone and order it extra spicy they will accomodate you! However, it is surprisingly expensive for the area, so be prepared to make that one of your more expensive meals. The owner stopped by my place last week to promote his place...he is a great guy and always friendly at the restaurant. I think he is german and can speak many languages.

mikelodge
11-18-2010, 06:29 PM
I was at the Thai place two weeks ago and it was good. If you want to impress someone and order it extra spicy they will accomodate you! However, it is surprisingly expensive for the area, so be prepared to make that one of your more expensive meals. The owner stopped by my place last week to promote his place...he is a great guy and always friendly at the restaurant. I think he is german and can speak many languages.

Yes he is German and his wife is Thai. I think she and the daughters might be the ones that give the messages.

They have coupons in the newspaper sometimes for discounts. Worth a visit once every other trip or two if you are in the mood for Thai. I can't help myself if I crave something I have to have it.

Compulsive I know :lol:

Seville
11-18-2010, 08:28 PM

thanks

There is one guy still selling chickens in a little empty storefront, before and on the other side of the street from where the stands used to be. The fish restaurant I have been eating at is almost across the main street from the Caribe Tours bus station. It is set back off the road and up a small hill. The restaurant that is reopening next week is straight up from the beach about two and a half blocks on the right hand side. Just past the Caribe express office. I will check it out next week.

tgunz
11-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Bring Back the Chicken stand!http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/thum_154854ce69061a3bf4.jpg

Jonew1
11-19-2010, 10:24 AM
Ricks ham and cheese omletts over at rockys always did the job for me. i miss those just as much as all the little hot chicas throwing pussy at me all day!

hughgrection
11-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Where is a good place to get pollo al carbon near rocky's

DRCowboy
12-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Mike,
Food update from Thanksgiving week. Chicken stand is up and running fine. [/URL]

[URL="http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=91877"]http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/thum_174144cffc3a333eec.jpg (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=91877)

DRCowboy
12-08-2010, 01:32 PM
There is also another nice place. It ws suggested in other posts that someone take advantage of one of the unused stores. There is such a place. Start at the Super Super and head toward Cuba Libra bar. First there is the Super Super, then a small bank (that gave me 36.8 exchange), then a small local store (great place for juice, soda, etc.). Next there is a small, narrow alley/store/business. Just off the street is a guy at one of those 1/2 barrels with charcoal and 6-8 chickens and what looked like pork chops or ham. They cut up the chicken and spray it down with the clear garlic/vinegar/cilantro/sweet sauce. I got a whole chicken and it was enough for two meals.
Something like 200 pesos.
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/thum_174144cffc63998b4f.jpg (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=91878)

donquixote
12-08-2010, 02:36 PM
I miss those big 100 peso meals for lunch.

recently when i was in sosua i had lunches which were very good at the casa manana bar across from the tradewinds and just before the palms.
it was a good dominican lunch for 100 peso which saves toing to chiromicos...

for breakfast i think is a good deal, the german restaurant beside the german bakery across the highway and at end of side street...
for 130 peso you get..large orange juice, 3 slices cold meat, 2 slices cheese, 2 fresh large buns, butter, jam, and coffee...

mikelodge
12-08-2010, 04:21 PM
recently when i was in sosua i had lunches which were very good at the casa manana bar across from the tradewinds and just before the palms. www.sosuavacationrentals.com (http://www.sosuavacationrentals.com)
it was a good dominican lunch for 100 peso which saves toing to chiromicos...

for breakfast i think is a good deal, the german restaurant beside the german bakery across the highway and at end of side street...
for 130 peso you get..large orange juice, 3 slices cold meat, 2 slices cheese, 2 fresh large buns, butter, jam, and coffee...

The Backerei on Ave. Rodriguez just down from Hotel D'Piero ?? That is a good one excellent strudel.

http://www.hotelpierososua.com/english.html

JD426
12-08-2010, 05:42 PM
The Backerei on Ave. Rodriguez just down from Hotel D'Piero ?? That is a good one excellent strudel.

Well this is certainly embarassing, You have had Strudel at a German place in Sosua where I have not even been. :o I used to help my great grandmother make the Apfelstrudel .

papi_sosua
12-08-2010, 05:44 PM
All of this is old news!!
The bakery has been there before most of guys on this board even knew how to spell "toto".

But just as "toto", old news never gets old!

P.S.: Bakery opens at 7 am. It is a great place for testing the commitment of your Haitian novia. If she can get up repeatedly at 6 am, to make breakfast at 7 am; she is a keeper!

malescan
12-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Ollie has a sandwich truck ..only open at night...across from the 4 roses hot chicken or pork sandwiches 120 rd they are fricken awesome!!!

hughgrection
12-08-2010, 06:49 PM
There is also another nice place. It ws suggested in other posts that someone take advantage of one of the unused stores. There is such a place. Start at the Super Super and head toward Cuba Libra bar. First there is the Super Super, then a small bank (that gave me 36.8 exchange), then a small local store (great place for juice, soda, etc.). Next there is a small, narrow alley/store/business. Just off the street is a guy at one of those 1/2 barrels with charcoal and 6-8 chickens and what looked like pork chops or ham. They cut up the chicken and spray it down with the clear garlic/vinegar/cilantro/sweet sauce. I got a whole chicken and it was enough for two meals.
Something like 200 pesos.
Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=91878)

From Rocky's do you walk towards La Passion on PC?

mikelodge
12-08-2010, 07:28 PM
From Rocky's do you walk towards La Passion on PC? yes you do