PDA

View Full Version : Cheap taxi from Sosua to Santiago

Peruchonyc
11-23-2010, 06:13 AM
Hey fellow mongers....I am making a quick trip to sosua this week...the only problem is that because of thanksgiving...prices are off the roof...around 750 round trip from JFK to POP...well i found this flight ....i land in POP but on my way back to NYC I flight out of STI(santiago)...now i know this driver who will take me from sosua to santiago airport for 2000 pesos...My question does anyone know a cheaper driver ?.....

Seville
11-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Hey fellow mongers....I am making a quick trip to sosua this week...the only problem is that because of thanksgiving...prices are off the roof...around 750 round trip from JFK to POP...well i found this flight ....i land in POP but on my way back to NYC I flight out of STI(santiago)...now i know this driver who will take me from sosua to santiago airport for 2000 pesos...My question does anyone know a cheaper driver ?.....

What time is your flight out of STI?

JD426
11-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Why cant you take METRO BUS for 170 pesos, catch it right at the Texaco station on main autoposta #5, by the yogurt place .
... Forget about taxis , its gonna cost you like $75- 90 . If you are splitting it, then its doable, but alone. No way I am paying that.
Especialy going TO Santiago, it a no brainer.
You can even buy your ticket in advance so you know you got a guarenteed seat. They leave like 8:30 10:30 and like that every 2 houes.
then take a taxi from the Bus terminal for like 120 pesos to the airport. maybe 150 pesos, Total cost 300 pesos, and the AC is KICKING on the bus. you will be very comfortable and rested. You might even meet a nice Santiago Hottie on the ride.

Seville
11-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Why cant you take METRO BUS for 170 pesos, catch it right at the Texaco station on main autoposta #5, by the yogurt place .
... Forget about taxis , its gonna cost you like $75- 90 . If you are splitting it, then its doable, but alone. No way I am paying that.
Especialy going TO Santiago, it a no brainer.
You can even buy your ticket in advance so you know you got a guarenteed seat. They leave like 8:30 10:30 and like that every 2 houes.
then take a taxi from the Bus terminal for like 120 pesos to the airport. maybe 150 pesos, Total cost 300 pesos, and the AC is KICKING on the bus. you will be very comfortable and rested. You might even meet a nice Santiago Hottie on the ride.

The last time I checked a taxi to the airport in STI from the bus station was 400-500 pesos. If you can get one for 150 pesos please give me his name.

JD426
11-23-2010, 12:01 PM
The last time I checked a taxi to the airport in STI from the bus station was 400-500 pesos. If you can get one for 150 pesos please give me his name.
Ok ,confirmed, 400 is right. anythere in the city is 150 though, as you recall i paid 200 first time and then was able to get 150 after that anywhere inside the city & Willie ( can I call him by his real name btw ?) said I still overpaid , as it should have been 120 pesos
400 + 170 is Still cheaper that 2000 pesos though, and a LOT more comfortable IMO. I LIKE me some A/C and Metro delivers that.

QueGuapo
11-23-2010, 03:06 PM

I have the same situation.
I am flying back on Sunday. My flight is at 9,30 from Santiago.
If the day and time are ok with you we can split the taxi ride from Sosua.
Let me know

mikelodge
11-23-2010, 05:37 PM
Let me know

If your flight is 9:30 A.M. I would consider going the day before and spending the night in Santiago which is a very nice city with some places worth visiting.

If nothing else you could go to the Ahi Bar right by the monument and stay at Aloha Sol right downtown there. Or closer to the Airport at Century Plaza.

Maybe I am extra cautious but I never trust that highway getting me to the airport the needed 2 hours ahead of time at 730 am and not having the potential of an accident blocking the road or a rock slide or whatever.

Now if your flight is at night no problem leave early and have dinner in Santiago at TGIFridays or something and making sure you are on time is easier.

I always rent cars and drive so I could leave early am but prefer the relaxed feeling of being there and not panicing in the morning. Remember if you miss your flight you are stuck in more ways than one.

Otherwise if you take a cab that early leave extra early, I don't think the buses run that early

Bhutto,BhuttoGolly
11-23-2010, 07:17 PM

I paid $75, but that was because my flight was @ 3:30 in the morning- sucked!

jacknback
11-23-2010, 07:39 PM
The guy who changes money at the Triangle Cigar bar right there on the corner just up and kitty corner from Rockies is doing Santiago trips.He told me $60.His name is Chen #809-370-4721. I use him all the time for money echange.This guy is a really good guy and always pays the going rate for money.I'm pretty sure Naptime and TNT72 use him all the time also and will vouch for him.Correct me if I'm wrong guys,but actually you Nap told me about him.
But that being said...if I were you (and I'm not) I would take the Metro bus as suggested before.2 weeks ago cab to airport from station in Santiago cost me 450 pesos.
I even take the last bus from Sosua,which is 5:50PM even when I'm flying out of Santiago at 4 AM but then again I'm very frugal.(some call me a cheap bastard!)

QueGuapo
11-23-2010, 07:54 PM
If your flight is 9:30 A.M. I would consider going the day before and spending the night in Santiago which is a very nice city with some places worth visiting.

If nothing else you could go to the Ahi Bar right by the monument and stay at Aloha Sol right downtown there. Or closer to the Airport at Century Plaza.

Maybe I am extra cautious but I never trust that highway getting me to the airport the needed 2 hours ahead of time at 730 am and not having the potential of an accident blocking the road or a rock slide or whatever.

Now if your flight is at night no problem leave early and have dinner in Santiago at TGIFridays or something and making sure you are on time is easier.

I always rent cars and drive so I could leave early am but prefer the relaxed feeling of being there and not panicing in the morning. Remember if you miss your flight you are stuck in more ways than one.

Otherwise if you take a cab that early leave extra early, I don't think the buses run that early

Thx Mike, always helpful...
Nice places to go mongering in Santiago?

mikelodge
11-23-2010, 10:15 PM
Thx Mike, always helpful...
Nice places to go mongering in Santiago?

There are some cabanas for short time or a basic overnight lining the highway if you wanted also instead of a hotel. Some are very nice, I didn't stay at any but gave a buddy a ride to Santiago with me and took him to 3 or 4 to pick a good one and just be nosy and check it out. Some are real nice.

Dany there are mongering spots in Santiago but with my limited Spanish the only place I went was the Ahi Bar, a local bar by Century Plaza, TGI Fridays and some club a taxi guy took me to the hotel bellman recommended and I have no idea where that was.

There is much posted about that in Santiago threads

I never put much time into it but kind of invented or shall I say chose my own way to do it.

I simply found a girl in Sosua or Puerto Plata that spoke at least a little English and of course one I like and had a good session with then asked her if she wanted to go to Santiago overnight.

I did that 3 times and only had one say no because of her child but they like the idea. Money for TLN and nice ride and you take her out for a couple drinks and dinner and enjoy her at hotel then give her bus fare home the next morning when you go to the airport. ;)

Peruchonyc
11-24-2010, 02:42 AM

My flight is monday at 1PM...the only problem is that i will be parking my car at JFK...As soon I land i need to run to my car change clothes and drive to work....I have to be at work no later than 5pm...my flights lands in JFK at 410pm. i believe....this is all the stupid shit i got to do just to spend some time in sosua when all my 4 weeks vacation time is up :(....the good thing is that from jfk to my job is only 15 mins no trafic...:)...I would take the metro.but if i am going to spend close to 1000 pesos on metro and taxi...i dont mind paying the extra 1000 just to sleep alil more on monday and be sure that i will be getting to sti on time to catch my flight. :)

Peruchonyc
11-24-2010, 02:44 AM
Let me know...
sorry bro...am leaving monday. :)

Peruchonyc
11-24-2010, 02:45 AM
The guy who changes money at the Triangle Cigar bar right there on the corner just up and kitty corner from Rockies is doing Santiago trips.He told me $60.His name is Chen #809-370-4721. I use him all the time for money echange.This guy is a really good guy and always pays the going rate for money.I'm pretty sure Naptime and TNT72 use him all the time also and will vouch for him.Correct me if I'm wrong guys,but actually you Nap told me about him.
But that being said...if I were you (and I'm not) I would take the Metro bus as suggested before.2 weeks ago cab to airport from station in Santiago cost me 450 pesos.
I even take the last bus from Sosua,which is 5:50PM even when I'm flying out of Santiago at 4 AM but then again I'm very frugal.(some call me a cheap bastard!)

thanks i might give this guy a call :)

Seville
11-24-2010, 10:51 AM
My flight is monday at 1PM...the only problem is that i will be parking my car at JFK...As soon I land i need to run to my car change clothes and drive to work....I have to be at work no later than 5pm...my flights lands in JFK at 410pm. i believe....this is all the stupid shit i got to do just to spend some time in sosua when all my 4 weeks vacation time is up :(....the good thing is that from jfk to my job is only 15 mins no trafic...:)...I would take the metro.but if i am going to spend close to 1000 pesos on metro and taxi...i dont mind paying the extra 1000 just to sleep alil more on monday and be sure that i will be getting to sti on time to catch my flight. :)

For Taxi and Metro you would pay appx 600 pesos. You would not have to worry about being on time but you would probably have to leave earlier if taking the bus just because of their schedules.

JD426
11-24-2010, 02:36 PM
For Taxi and Metro you would pay appx 600 pesos. You would not have to worry about being on time but you would probably have to leave earlier if taking the bus just because of their schedules.
Rob , Whats the earliest Metro Bus, is it the 8:30 am, or is there one also at 6:30 am ? . 8:30 should put him at the Santiago bus station at 10:30 and at the airport no later than 11 to 11:30 which is plenty of time ?