PDA

View Full Version : First BB Trip Question?

travelman
08-22-2006, 08:48 AM
Hello all,

I am an experienced Monger. 2 trips to Santo Domingo over 2 years ago, a few trips to Thailand and PI. Lately, I have been a regular in Costa Rica (4 trips in the last 9 months). I have never been to the POP area before. How much will it REALLY cost for me to get a taxi from Santiago or POP airports to BB? I can save $200 by flying into STI but if it actualy costs close to $100.00 it makes no sense for me to do it.

Also how much are taxi's to POP and other areas once I arrive at BB? I will be in for my Birthday and am looking forward to trying the DR again. Costa Rica is great but I need a change. I love the Sportsmans Lodge in CR and am hoping BB is similar.

All advice will be appreciated.

agua chico
08-22-2006, 10:52 AM
Never been to Black beard, but it is not too far from POP airport. It should not cost more than $15. POP airport to Sosua is $20.

You may want to consider hanging out in Sosua and going to BB just for one day, if you are under 55 years old.

MisterPink
08-22-2006, 11:01 AM
The "official" Taxi rate from POP to BB in Costambar is $40!

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50568

See page 3 for a picture of the rate sign @ POP.

I am sure it can be negotiated down.

Jimmydr
08-22-2006, 11:33 AM
Getting out of BlackBeards the taxi guys are thieves and it may cost alot.

weyland
08-22-2006, 12:08 PM
Getting out of BlackBeards the taxi guys are thieves and it may cost alot.

Hi Travelman

I am currently in the PP area enjoying my third trip to the DR. My first was to BB for two weeks last December. I enjoyed every minute and it sold the DR to me, perhaps for the rest of my life as I am looking to move here permanently next year or 2008.

I would always recommend BB for the newbie as then I was, no experience and no Spanish, but it seems you are not in that category. If you have Spanish and you want to do anything else except fuck (for example: dance, eat, activities or sports) then it may not be the best choice and is why I would not stay there again.

For Blackbeards:
- chicas on site: you just have to go to your door and beckon
- chicas are vetted for health and behaviour: not totally 100% foolproof but better than anywhere else.
- management speak English and most staff some English
- heated jacuzzi
- safe environment: again not totally 100% foolproof but better than most places.

Against Blackbeards:
- nothing else to do there and either an expensive taxi ride to PP or elsewhere or a concho ride to main road and public transport. The taxis there operate a "closed shop" at high prices (with BB management's compliance) And others are not allowed into Costambar to collect passengers. Also you may have to walk some distance to find a motoconcho, they are not always available near BB.
- everyone can see everything and everyone you do. This is not a problem all the time things are kosher but if you have a problem with a chica, fellow guest or staff member (however unlikely) you are "trapped" on site.
- the chicas are on your back all the time bumming drinks and food. If you are naive and weak, like I was, and buy drinks for girls you have fucked and their friends your bill will skyrocket. Do NOT set a precedent. Be strong and refuse from the start.
- on site restaurant is not the best though there are a couple of good (but slightly more expensive) ones ten minutes walk away.
- chicas are more expensive than the same quality elsewhere, but if you allow for the fact that you need not venture out to get them, hence no fares each way, I guess they work out the same.

Like I say, I am not knocking BB. I loved my time there and it offers value for money. Just be aware of the pros and cons. Have I forgotten to list any?

blacksultan
08-22-2006, 02:22 PM
Hi Travelman

I am currently in the PP area enjoying my third trip to the DR. My first was to BB for two weeks last December. I enjoyed every minute and it sold the DR to me, perhaps for the rest of my life as I am looking to move here permanently next year or 2008.

I would always recommend BB for the newbie as then I was, no experience and no Spanish, but it seems you are not in that category. If you have Spanish and you want to do anything else except fuck (for example: dance, eat, activities or sports) then it may not be the best choice and why I would not stay there again.

For Blackbeards:
- chicas on site: you just have to go to your door and beckon
- chicas are vetted for health and behaviour: not totally 100% foolproof but better than anywhere else.
- management speak English and most staff some English
- heated jacuzzi
- safe environment: again not totally 100% foolproof but better than most places.

Against Blackbeards:
- nothing else to do there and either an expensive taxi ride to PP or elsewhere or a concho ride to main road and public transport. The taxis there operate a "closed shop" at high prices (with BB management's compliance) And others are not allowed into Costambar to collect passengers. Also you may have to walk some distance to find a motoconcho, they are not always available near BB.
- everyone can see everything and everyone you do. This is not a problem all the time things are kosher but if you have a problem with a chica, fellow guest or staff member (however unlikely) you are "trapped" on site.
- the chicas are on your back all the time bumming drinks and food. If you are naive and weak, like I was, and buy drinks for girls you have fucked and their friends your bill will skyrocket. Do NOT set a precedent. Be strong and refuse from the start.
- on site restaurant is not the best though there are a couple of good (but slightly more expensive) ones ten minutes walk away.
- chicas are more expensive for same quality compared to elsewhere, but if you allow for the fact that you need not venture out to get them, hence no fares each way, I guess they work out the same.

Like I say, I am not knocking BB. I loved my time there and it offers value for money. Just be aware of the pros and cons. Have I forgotten to list any?
Very good description. I still love the fucking place and I will be back.

travelman
08-22-2006, 03:12 PM
To all thanks for the information. Weyland and Blacksultan I think you have given me some great advice. I believe for a first trip to the area with limited spanish this will be a great choice for me. I will pay a bit more but I will get my "sea legs" and then figure out where to go next.

ErikS
08-22-2006, 03:20 PM
Hello all,

I am an experienced Monger. 2 trips to Santo Domingo over 2 years ago, a few trips to Thailand and PI. Lately, I have been a regular in Costa Rica (4 trips in the last 9 months). I have never been to the POP area before. How much will it REALLY cost for me to get a taxi from Santiago or POP airports to BB? I can save $200 by flying into STI but if it actualy costs close to $100.00 it makes no sense for me to do it.

Also how much are taxi's to POP and other areas once I arrive at BB? I will be in for my Birthday and am looking forward to trying the DR again. Costa Rica is great but I need a change. I love the Sportsmans Lodge in CR and am hoping BB is similar.

I believe the "posted" rate at the STI airport to Costambar is $80 US (one way). But that should be your starting point to negotiate down.

For 450 pesos (around $15 US) you can take a taxi from the STI airport to the Caribe Tours Bus Station, and then get a bus ticket to Puerto Plata for around 80 pesos (less than $3 US).

Either way, enjoy your trip.

the_Jayman
08-22-2006, 06:17 PM
The 2 trips I have made from STI both cost me $80.00.

The first was straight to Black Beards via about 10 different bars and took about 3 1/2 hours.

The second was from STI to Black Beards with El Drunko so you can imagine how many stops there were. We stopped @ Black Beards just to say hello and then onto Sosua. Both were about a year ago.

If you know anything about me and my knucklehead friends you'll know that We absolutely LOVE Black Beards and I can't freaking wait for my return next month.

The taxi's from Black Beards to Sosua are about 30 to 35 US dollars each way. Absolute thievery but I have always been lucky enough to have 4 or 5 guys to split the fare with.

Ask around when you are @ Black Beards and odds are a guy or 2 would be up for a road trip.

weyland
08-22-2006, 06:28 PM
For 450 pesos (around $15 US) you can take a taxi from the STI airport to the Caribe Tours Bus Station, and then get a bus ticket to Puerto Plata for around 80 pesos (less than $3 US).
I went by Caribe Tours from Santiago to Puerto Plata on Monday. Buses are every hour (at normal hours, I don't know about night or off-peak) and the trip takes an hour and costs 90 pesos. The Caribe Tours Bus Station is a bit away from the town centre so allow yourself time. Push or bribe your way into a window seat. It's a scenic ride through the hills. You will see a lot more than from a taxi as the buses are tall.

I think Caribe Tours buses only stop at a couple of scheduled stops en route, but as they pass by the end of the road which leads to Costambar you might be able to bribe the driver to let you off there instead of going into town and coming back out. Of course this will not work if you have too much luggage to carry on a motoconcho or if the driver needs to stop to open the luggage compartment on the bus. I doubt if he would be open to that. Any comments from those who know more than me?

Jimmydr
08-22-2006, 07:04 PM
I think Caribe Tours buses only stop at a couple of scheduled stops en route, but as they pass by the end of the road which leads to Costambar you might be able to bribe the driver to let you off there instead of going into town and coming back out. Of course this will not work if you have too much luggage to carry on a motoconcho or if the driver needs to stop to open the luggage compartment on the bus. I doubt if he would be open to that. Any comments from those who know more than me?

They will stop if you ask them and just hand them a tip for their effort. 50 -100 pesos.

Phoenix
08-22-2006, 11:28 PM
To all thanks for the information. Weyland and Blacksultan I think you have given me some great advice. I believe for a first trip to the area with limited spanish this will be a great choice for me. I will pay a bit more but I will get my "sea legs" and then figure out where to go next.

If you are a experienced monger why not just go to Sosua? Tons of guys running arond out there with limited Spanish and a lot more chica variety.

BlueDevil
08-22-2006, 11:37 PM
Hello all,

Pura vida, Travelman...

Yes, I love Sportsmens Lodge, too. It sounds like both of us have the same hopes for Black Beard's resort...that it's a lot like SL.

I booked my first trip to the DR for the second week of October. The $178 R/T flight from Newark to Santiago was too good of a deal to pass up. I originally planned on getting a room at BBs, but then opted for a beachfront condo about 300 yards from there.

I arrive in STI around noon. Following the advice of several members on this board, I quickly scuttled my idea of renting a car. Instead I will be grabbing a taxi to the Caribe Tours terminal in Santiago...and then enjoy a scenic bus trip to Costambar. It sounds simple enough...and a lot cheaper than the $80 cab fare.

On the map, PP looks close enough to Costambar for a leisurely walk into town; however, maps can be deceiving. They don't depict natural and man-made obstacles that may hinder a pedestrian tourist. I probably will spend the first couple of days of my trip frolicking with the chicas at Black Beard's, but then my wanderlust will get the best of me...and I will be overcome with a strong desire to check out what's outside this gated community. I hope to capitalize on the mobility offered by guaguas, publicos and motoconches...like my friend, Weyland, has.

Any additional advice from you ISOC vets regarding transportation alternatives will be gratefully accepted.

THEGAME
08-23-2006, 12:15 AM
I agree with Phoenix, your definitely have been around. I'd try Sosua first & if your not happy with it, hold a reservation & B.B.'s for a couple of nights? Don't let yourself be cooped up? But if your looking for a peaceful vacation & no hunt, then B.B. is your place?

"THE GAME"

travelman
08-23-2006, 07:08 AM
More great info!

Now here is another question. While staying at BB I can branch out and go to Crystals and Sosua and bring back girls right? I realize the taxi costs will be high but it is still within BB rules.

This has been in my plan from the beginning.

Jimmydr
08-23-2006, 07:32 AM
More great info!

Now here is another question. While staying at BB I can branch out and go to Crystals and Sosua and bring back girls right? I realize the taxi costs will be high but it is still within BB rules.

Just make sure they have IDs.

Phoenix
08-23-2006, 07:50 AM
More great info!

Just make sure they have IDs.

Don't forget the lube for the ass fucking you will receive from those scam artist taxi drivers :eek:

weyland
08-23-2006, 09:36 AM
More great info!

Yes, BB allow you to bring in outside girls but they MUST have cedulas (ID cards). NO exceptions.

However, this would seem to negate the main benefit of being at Blackbeards, namely no need to go out for pussy. If you plan to bring in chicas you might as well stay at a cheaper place in Sosua or PP and save on transport. Remember to get your chica out of BB back to where she came from you will be stuck with the Costambar high taxi prices as I cannot see the chicas walking 2 miles to the highway in their stilettos to catch a publico.

Also, your bringing in outside girls will not endear you to the BB chicas.

blacksultan
08-23-2006, 10:53 AM
Yes, BB allow you to bring in outside girls but they MUST have cedulas (ID cards). NO exceptions.

However, this would seem to negate the main benefit of being at Blackbeards, namely no need to go out for pussy. If you plan to bring in chicas you might as well stay at a cheaper place in Sosua or PP and save on transport. Remember to get your chica out of BB back to where she came from you will be stuck with the Costambar high taxi prices as I cannot see the chicas walking 2 miles to the highway in their stilettos to catch a publico.

Weyland is absolutely correct about BBs chicas not liking girls coming from the outside. They lose money. I have seen chicas stare these girls down like they are shooting bullets out of their eyes.

Jimmydr
08-23-2006, 10:56 AM
Weyland is absolutely correct about BBs chicas not liking girls coming from the outside. They lose money. I have seen chicas stare these girls down like they are shooting bullets out of their eyes.

Its your vacation, get who you want and if you have problems tell David at Blackbeards!

blacksultan
08-23-2006, 12:05 PM
Its your vacation, get who you want and if you have problems tell David at Blackbeards!

Well that is true. But you know that the combination of estrogen and pesos is like gasoline and fire.

the_Jayman
08-23-2006, 06:56 PM

However, this would seem to negate the main benefit of being at Blackbeard's, namely no need to go out for pussy.

The MAIN reason for going to Black Beards is that Fuckin Jacuzzi and NOT the onsite chicas.

Last time I was there I think I only had 1 Black Beards chica . . . In the Jacuzzi in the pouring rain . . . (remember Beas) . . .

The long running joke about Black Beards being out in the middle of nowhere is also a prime reason I go there (not every trip mind you but definitely the next trip) . . . some times it's nice to have a semi-normal "hang in the pool with the palm trees and cocktails" kinda trip . . . and ooohhhh yeah . . . You and all your friends have hookers :mrgreen:

as far as walking from BB's to POP no freakin way ! ! gotta be close to 7+ miles ! !

travelman
08-24-2006, 08:05 AM
Thanks for all the info. I have another question. What is going on with the law changes?

Is it still effecting clubs in POP?

I am not concerned about it effecting my trip much I just do not want to make any falses starts by heading somewhere that is closed.

Is Franks open or closed? It sounds like a fun club.

Is alcohol served past midnight on weekdays?

Sorry if this has been answered but when I read I am not sure all the info is current.

blacksultan
08-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Thanks for all the info. I have another question. What is going on with the law changes?

Is it still effecting clubs in POP?

I am not concerned about it effecting my trip much I just do not want to make any falses starts by heading somewhere that is closed.

Is Franks open or closed? It sounds like a fun club.

Is alcohol served past midnight on weekdays?

Sorry if this has been answered but when I read I am not sure all the info is current.

The law changes are still affecting the clubs during the weekdays.
Frank's is still open, but escarlett told me that it is not the same with not a large variety of chicas there. I have not been there yet so I can't say what the vibe is there firsthand.

Beads
08-24-2006, 02:38 PM
hows the liquor curfew effect blackbeards?

Cuba Libre
08-24-2006, 02:46 PM
Getting out of BlackBeards the taxi guys are thieves and it may cost alot.I agree, the taxi's are cost prohibitive if you want to go into Sosua. Does anyone have any info on taking the Publicos? Can you catch them in Costambar, or do you need to go into POP?

Cuba Libre
08-24-2006, 02:53 PM

However, this would seem to negate the main benefit of being at Blackbeards,... I disagree, most of the BB girls won't go with another BB girl, but they will with an outside girl.

Also, your bringing in outside girls will not endear you to the BB chicas.I never found that to be a problem.

BTW, you give excellent Trip Reports!

Cuba Libre
08-24-2006, 02:58 PM
hows the liquor curfew effect blackbeards?The times I've been there BB was always dead by midnight, even before the curfew. That, combined with the isolation is another problem I have with BB; but the Jacuzzi and the convenience makes up for it.

BlueDevil
08-24-2006, 06:09 PM
Is there a "salida" for taking a chica out of Black Beard's? If so, how much is it?

Thanks...

Cuba Libre
08-24-2006, 07:13 PM
Is there a "salida" for taking a chica out of Black Beard's? If so, how much is it?

Thanks...No salida, but you may have to negotiate an "all day" rate with the girl. Normally if they stay in BB, they get $1,400RD for 1-3 hours (some girls tell me they cut guys off at 1 hour), and $2,500RD for overnight (not sure at what time they start that clock). So if you're taking them out, some may try to get more from you for the lost opportunity.

Jimmydr
08-24-2006, 07:14 PM
I hate having to buy chicas meals and drinks, That can add up to as much as $30 a day x 70 days is a shitload.

blacksultan
08-24-2006, 07:28 PM
First of all, if you try to pull a chick out of BBs, it will start some shit because they want the girls here for guys who have rooms. I met some guys from NYC who did it and the chicas got calls from the mamasan about that. So in other words, BB's has no salida. Your best bet would be to get them when they have completely finished for the night and they are walking out the door when the bar closes here. The liquor curfew really does not affect bb's because of the fact that it usually shuts down around 11 or 12 anyway. Most guys are upstairs fucking or out at clubs.

atomik
08-24-2006, 07:38 PM
No salida, but the mamsan did call Josaline a few times the week we spent together. Josaline also told me she has to pay the mamsan 500 pesos if she choses not to participate in the bikini contest, but I can not verify that. I got the idea the girls who work at BB are either too shy to compete with the regulars at the clubs, too old to be selected amoung the flacas, or looking for at least some free food while hanging out at a pretty nice place.

remyman41
08-24-2006, 08:03 PM
one thing to be aware of, if you decide to take a girl ofsite to a club or another place, she may ask if a girlfriend can come along, if you agree make it be known that that friend is own her own for food or drinks because she may be expecting you to pay as well as her joining in on the tdln

mirage6
08-24-2006, 10:38 PM
hell ya thst shit happened to me we all went to the karokee bar down the road i was with my tln for the night and it was me my friend and 6 chicas - the two sisters i fucked the night before my newbie girl and two chicas my friend had previously -- when we left bb it was like 11pm me and my friend did the nice thing and bought everyone drinks but we never made it perfectly clear that we just want to hang out and have no sex with them shit i already had them previously i wanted somethign new and i had already had plans with my tln and about 2am they ask me if they are going back to our room and i was like no me and my newbie is not u i had u last night -- damnnn was she pissed --oh well she should not assume

So make sure u make it clear if u bring a friend along and u do not plan on being with her all night tell her toavoid drama

BlueDevil
08-24-2006, 11:12 PM
No salida, but you may have to negotiate an "all day" rate with the girl. Normally if they stay in BB, they get $1,400RD for 1-3 hours (some girls tell me they cut guys off at 1 hour), and $2,500RD for overnight (not sure at what time they start that clock). So if you're taking them out, some may try to get more from you for the lost opportunity.

Thanks, Guys...very grateful for your input.

I particularly appreciate you pointing out the various issues that may confront a non-guest poaching on BB chicas...and will definitely keep them in mind.

weyland
08-25-2006, 11:31 AM
I agree, the taxi's are cost prohibitive if you want to go into Sosua. Does anyone have any info on taking the Publicos? Can you catch them in Costambar, or do you need to go into POP?

You would have to make your way to the main road (the one from Santiago into PP). Then there are frequent publicos and guaguas into PP. Change at La Parada de Hospital for Sosua. Total cost about 50 pesos (a bit more at night). I think route C guagua (sometimes?) runs direct to Sosua without your needing to change but they are not that frequent and are hellish slow so better to change publicos for another 10 pesos.

It is about two kilometres from BB to the main road, so you may prefer to catch a concho if you are lucky enough to spot one near BB. Negotiate the price first or he will charge you 100 pesos (should be 40/50 tops).

Beads
08-25-2006, 11:45 AM
You would have to make your way to the main road (the one from Santiago into PP). Then there are frequent publicos and guaguas into PP. Change at La Parada de Hospital for Sosua. Total cost about 50 pesos (a bit more at night). I think route C guagua (sometimes?) runs direct to Sosua without your needing to change but they are not that frequent and are hellish slow so better to change publicos for another 10 pesos.

It is about two kilometres from BB to the main road, so you may prefer to catch a concho if you are lucky enough to spot one near BB. Negotiate the price first or he will charge you 100 pesos (should be 40/50 tops).

This is a VERY IMPORTANT piece of information for people staying at BlackBeards. It would be beneficial to also collect phone numbers of carro publicos and motoconches so you can get a ride for those initial 2km . easier than waiting for one. Cheap transportation in the DR is definitely possible. You dont think the chicas can afford 1500 pesos per day to get to/from BlackBeads do ya?

Cuba Libre
08-25-2006, 07:06 PM
Josaline also told me she has to pay the mamsan 500 pesos if she choses not to participate in the bikini contest, but I can not verify that.That's true. If a girl is scheduled to be in the contest and is a no-show, they get fined.

Beads
08-25-2006, 07:09 PM
wow kewl forced to be in a bikini contest!

novionomo
08-26-2006, 01:51 PM
[quote=atomik;231808]No salida, but the mamsan did call Josaline a few times the week we spent together. Josaline also told me she has to pay the mamsan 500 pesos if she choses not to participate in the bikini contest,

When did you spend a week with Josaline? I was with her in March?

steelydan4uk
09-26-2006, 02:22 PM
Also, your bringing in outside girls will not endear you to the BB chicas.[/quote]

Weyland, you are SO right - I met a couple of girls at a local disco on my last trip in March, and invited them back for lunch the next day to BB's... (I wanted to see if my beer goggles from the disco had deceived me). Boy, did I get the :icontd: :eek: EVIL EYE :icontd: :eek: from the resident chicas!!!! Two of them even approached me at the bar that evening to tell me how poor my taste in whores was.....:doh: :confused: :cheesygrin:

Steely

Cuba Libre
09-26-2006, 04:36 PM
Weyland, you are SO right - I met a couple of girls at a local disco on my last trip in March, and invited them back for lunch the next day to BB's... (I wanted to see if my beer goggles from the disco had deceived me). Boy, did I get the :icontd: :eek: EVIL EYE :icontd: :eek: from the resident chicas!!!! Two of them even approached me at the bar that evening to tell me how poor my taste in whores was.....:doh: :confused: :cheesygrin:I never got that feeling.

Last July, I had an old favorite from Sosua meet me at BB. It was right after a bikini contest. The girl had never been there before. She was really nervous. The BB girls made her feel comfortable, including my BB regular.

blacksultan
09-26-2006, 05:15 PM

Weyland, you are SO right - I met a couple of girls at a local disco on my last trip in March, and invited them back for lunch the next day to BB's... (I wanted to see if my beer goggles from the disco had deceived me). Boy, did I get the :icontd: :eek: EVIL EYE :icontd: :eek: from the resident chicas!!!! Two of them even approached me at the bar that evening to tell me how poor my taste in whores was.....:doh: :confused: :cheesygrin:

Steely[/quote]

You hit the nail right on the head, Steely. I have seen guys bring in chicas from the outside into Barba Negra and the girls there dont like it at all. They are losing potential income when a monger brings in an outside chica.

blacksultan
09-26-2006, 05:16 PM
I never got that feeling.

Last July, I had an old favorite from Sosua meet me at BB. It was right after a bikini contest. The girl had never been there before. She was really nervous. The BB girls made her feel comfortable, including my BB regular.

i have seen what you have described as well. New chicas are welcomed and shown the ropes. But also be aware that the chicas run in cliques at BBs.

Jimmydr
09-26-2006, 07:02 PM
i have seen what you have described as well. New chicas are welcomed and shown the ropes. But also be aware that the chicas run in cliques at BBs.

As long as you know that then there should be no problems.