PDA

View Full Version : Cultural Guide to the Dominican Republic

Don Tomas
04-18-2005, 07:16 PM
Yes written by the U.S. State Department but a very interesting read.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/40122.pdf

Kevy
04-18-2005, 07:29 PM
that was an interesting read. thanks DT

Don Tomas
04-18-2005, 07:46 PM
Some of my favorite quotes...

Workaholism is rare.

There is a great deal of chivalry and deference for wives as well as other women, and special courtesy for the old. It is almost impossible, for example, for a woman to change a tire! However, young women especially the more blonde or “rubia,” continually receive compliments in any public situation. If rejecting these remarks is the intent, it is impossible to do so by any means other than a stone face and studied avoidance of eye contact. Any other response, no matter how rude, is considered positive.

Single people coming to the Dominican Republic will find that they are openly pursued by members of the opposite sex: even married people are not off limits. This is not to say that people here are promiscuous, but rather that they may juggle several relationships at the same time.

Docile behavior is valued to such an extent that it is unwise to inquire too closely about children in a family. It is not at all unusual for a man to bring his illegitimate children home to be reared by his wife; the natural mothers in these relationships are generally said to be dead and are not spoken of. Men commonly value such proofs of their virility.

Commonly, birthdays are celebrated only by children. (we need to say this to chicas looking for B-day bonuses)

...people think of themselves as Catholic regardless of daily practice. It is Catholicism that marries and buries them, and blesses the official functions of the culture. Ironically, Holy Week is often spent camping at the beach.

Our concept of privacy eschews staring; what North American women consider ogling is quite complimentary here. :P

Kevy
04-18-2005, 07:50 PM
Especially the last one, it takes to get over that when I get back to Toronto. The Chicas Smiling when I check them out and then the women here looking at me in disgust.

Dick Dawson
04-18-2005, 08:25 PM
I'm surprised to see that there are closing in on 10 million people there. I had always read that it was about 8 million.