PDA

View Full Version : Damajagua Cascades Tour?

xman26
01-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Hello,

I am going to Sosua Jan. 11 thru Jan 14 and outside of the bitches, I'd like to do some touristy shit. I found the Damajagua Cascades Tour (27 Waterfalls).

I searched the recreational section and did not find any info. Has anyone taken the our. How often do they run. Which tour guide should I use? What should I expect to pay. Is there any other info that I should know?

I really appreciate it!

mrblackluv
01-04-2011, 08:54 PM
I found this post on DR1

http://www.dr1.com/forums/trip-reports/30421-rio-damajagua-its-waterfalls.html

Seems really cool..
Thanks for the hint.

KoKi9290
01-05-2011, 01:08 AM
Did it a couple years back and loved it. I only did 7 but you can do 14 or 21 if I recall correctly. The guides are available at the main building where you park, pay your fare and rent your gear. You have to wear a life vest and protective helmet. The guide is also a requirement. I think it was 300P plus tip for the guide.
Just be careful. People have died there a number of times. Last year, a couple from here in Florida drowned when there was a sudden "flash flood" down the falls from excessive rainfall up in the mountains. You might want to check the weather before you head out.

Ramair4
01-05-2011, 01:10 AM
I took the tour last May and it was great. Here are the pics from that trip.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?t=272431

xman26
01-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Thanks for all the advice fellas!

BadJokes
01-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Its a great tour; but like koki said, it can be dangerous. Definitely not for the inexperienced swimmer or faint of heart.

Also,
I'd advise taking a cab or publico to Damajagua instead of the one of the guided tours the advertise in sosua. The tours show a bunch of stuff that most mongers wouldn't be interested in and then you only get to do seven falls at the end.

weyland
01-05-2011, 11:31 PM
I'd advise taking a cab or publico to Damajagua instead of the one of the guided tours the advertise in sosua. The tours show a bunch of stuff that most mongers wouldn't be interested in and then you only get to do seven falls at the end.
Publico from Sosúa to La Javilla in Puerto Plata (45 pesos and stops outside the Javilla Tours bus station) then a Santiago-destined guagua from Javilla Tours bus station (around 50/60 pesos?). Private taxi from Sosúa = 1000 pesos?

Of course, if there are three or four of you to share the cost, a taxi looks a better option. Especially if you can get a good deal with a dedicated publico from the terminus opposite the Texaco bomba.

Also if you use the bus you have a (pleasant) half-mile walk from the main road to the entrance.

Take footwear and trousers you don't mind getting soaked through. You will be wading through water in places.

Revolutionrock77
01-06-2011, 06:40 PM
About the Cascasdes Tour:

I did it not too long ago and it was great. Here is the advice that I can give you:

1. You need to be in pretty good shape if you do the whole thing. THere is a lot of hiking and climbing. I am not always active, so it was kind of a challenge keeping up, but I enjoyed it. Some of the jumps were a little scary, it gets easier after the first few.

2. Wear something good for walking that can get wet. I wouldn't want to do all that walking and climbing with flip flops.

3. AS people said it can be dangerous, that is why it is important to go with a quality guide. I went with Iguana Mama out of Cabarete, and they hooked us up with the most professional guides, transportation, snack on the way up, lunch afterwards.

They have an excellent reputation and I was pleased. Of course it will be a lot cheaper if you just show up on your own and take whatever guide is the first to find you there. I don't know how much of the danger relates to the weather, rainy season, etc. But I felt ok spending $70 on the excursion.

4. This is probably something you could only do in the DR. It's pretty amazing and well wroth your time and money if you are up for that kind of physical activity.

Hope you enjoy it if you decide to go.

xman26
01-06-2011, 07:00 PM
You say it aint good for inexperienced swimmers, I am not a great swimmer how deep would u say the waters are? Also, is it long distances from the waterfall to land? Also, are their under-currents or under water caves?

Revolutionrock77
01-06-2011, 07:24 PM
YOu don't have to be a great swimmer. Just ok will do. You have a life vest and you just have to make your way through a few canyons. Many people do it with just doggy paddle skills. Unless lots of rain makes it worse than when I went, swimming wasn't that big an issue. Young kids did it with their families. Again, I say it's all about the guides. Get a good one, and they will help you do it safely.

BadJokes
01-06-2011, 07:33 PM
You say it aint good for inexperienced swimmers, I am not a great swimmer how deep would u say the waters are? Also, is it long distances from the waterfall to land? Also, are their under-currents or under water caves?

Maybe I over-exagerated a bit. As long as you know how to swim or tread water for a few yards at a time you should be okay.
And if you cant do either very well the guides will help you through.

weyland
01-06-2011, 09:05 PM
This is probably something you could only do in the DR.
I am not sure what you had in mind when you said that, but it is probably true in that only in the DR among mass tourism nations is there such a flagrant disregard of health and safety issues. To go to the other extreme, I could imagine the authorities in the UK finding thirty-seven different reasons to close it down. For example, the very first thing I had to do was wade across this stream downstream from the pissing and shitting cattle. A definite no-no for tourist attractions in dear old Blighty.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/65684d26742f7ed0d.jpg

Having said that, and reading between the lines, I think that most deaths and serious injuries (and there have been quite a few) have been caused by youngsters playing the fool, showing off, or generally not doing what they are told. Or by oldies fantasizing that they are still youngsters. I am sure this last doesn't apply to any of our members. :rolleyes:

KoKi9290
01-06-2011, 09:23 PM
I'm not sure what they charge nowadays but when I went in the spring of '08 they charged 300P to get in (I got the Dominican rate) and we had one guide for the three of us (another 300P plus tip). I don't remember if the equipment was included in the price of admission. And I took the novia,, who couldn't swim and the suegra, who couldn't swim, and between the guide and myself, we had no problem floating them across the waters. The guide had to help us up the waterfalls. And lastly, footwear is a problem because of the need to swim coupled with treading on the rocks.

Revolutionrock77
01-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Koki: Yes, I'd say swim shoes are a must.

Weyland: I said only in the DR for two reasons - as you said, it has too much risk for most places, but also because I believe this area is unique in the world for having this amazing network of 27 waterfalls. I have heard people say that you can't find a comparable experience anywhere else in the world.

Seville
01-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Given the weather in the last few weeks that water will be FUCKING COLD:wink: