PDA

View Full Version : Round up of illegal Haitians in Sosua

Revolutionrock77
01-07-2011, 07:47 PM
This video reports on the recent round up and deportation of Haitians in Sosua. Below in the translated text that accompanies the video:

"As a measure against the spread of cholera in DR and other Haitian affairs department of the armed forces carried out a raid detaining illegal immigrants in Sosua, as is the case with what has been done in other parts of the country."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTc-LQXiAC0

MrHappy
01-08-2011, 07:08 AM
This video reports on the recent round up and deportation of Haitians in Sosua. Below in the translated text that accompanies the video:

"As a measure against the spread of cholera in DR and other Haitian affairs department of the armed forces carried out a raid detaining illegal immigrants in Sosua, as is the case with what has been done in other parts of the country."

YouTube - Operativos de Asuntos Haitianos deteniendo indocumentados.MP4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTc-LQXiAC0)

Folks here are really getting tired of the Haitians, and their person hygiene habits.

Stuff like crapping in paper bags, and throwing it on the roofs of homes or in yards. Pissing in full public view, male and female. The beggars are everywhere.

They don't know what a trash can is, or how to use one.

And now, Haitians are coming in and doing the same thing, and Dominicans don't like it.

eldorob
01-08-2011, 07:54 AM
Folks here are really getting tired of the Haitians, and their person hygiene habits.

Stuff like crapping in paper bags, and throwing it on the roofs of homes or in yards. Pissing in full public view, male and female. The beggars are everywhere.
And now, Haitians are coming in and doing the same thing, and Dominicans don't like it.

Was that a joke? I get it, I think. Bear with me, I haven't had my Iced Coffee yet.

I have a woman down the street who lets her dog crap in my yard. I'm trying to catch her so I can shovel up the still warm excrement and fling it at her front door. I'll probably get in trouble for it, but oh well.

MrHappy
01-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Was that a joke? I get it, I think. Bear with me, I haven't had my Iced Coffee yet.

I have a woman down the street who lets her dog crap in my yard. I'm trying to catch her so I grab the still warm excrement and fling it at her front door. I'll probably get in trouble for it, but oh well.

Yep, I stuck that in that last line just to see if anybody is really reading.

The rest is true, however. The Haitians you find in the street begging, and the ones who have no work, are the worst. Zero personal hygiene. These are folks that have never SEEN a toilet or sink.

And to exacerbate the situation, the kids at intersections have gotten into the window washing scam, without having a clue of what they are doing, and most of them can't even REACH a windshield. That doesn't stop them from thowing a wet dirty sponge on your windshield though.

Just about every time a car stops at an intersection, they walk up to the car, and cup their face with their hands and look in the windows.

Revolutionrock77
01-08-2011, 02:31 PM
The Haitians you find in the street begging, and the ones who have no work, are the worst. Zero personal hygiene. These are folks that have never SEEN a toilet or sink.

MrHappy:

I understand the frustration that you are expressing. I know that the DR struggles to have the resources to take care of its own people.

At the same time we all know the desperation of most Haitian people, even worse now since the earthquake. But the lack of personal hygiene that you mention is not a character flaw, it is part of their living conditions. Many don't have a roof over their heads,some literally get by scavenging through the dumps of Puerto Plata - men, women and children alike.

As for garbage cans, I have been to lots of Dominican towns where people just freely throw the trash anywhere. Again, it's probably not a character defect. As a visitor I don't know that the truck comes by twice a week to cart away the trash like at home. I have seen people raking it and burning it on their own.

Sometimes hard times and frustrations can make us forget our common humanity, and imagine the other in a dehumanizing way.

The DR will do what it's got to do to control it's border, but no need to H8. :)

MrHappy
01-08-2011, 02:40 PM
MrHappy:

I understand the frustration that you are expressing. I know that the DR struggles to have the resources to take care of its own people.

At the same time we all know the desperation of most Haitian people, even worse now since the earthquake. But the lack of personal hygiene that you mention is not a character flaw, it is part of their living conditions. Many don't have a roof over their heads,some literally get by scavenging through the dumps of Puerto Plata - men, women and children alike.

As for garbage cans, I have been to lots of Dominican towns where people just freely throw the trash anywhere. Again, it's probably not a character defect. As a visitor I don't know that the truck comes by twice a week to cart away the trash like at home. I have seen people raking it and burning it on their own.

Sometimes hard times and frustrations can make us forget our common humanity, and imagine the other in a dehumanizing way.

The DR will do what it's got to do to control it's border, but no need to H8. :)

I'm not the hater, big guy, it's the Dominicans.

There are barrios here in Santo Domingo where Haitians have been told to get out, or they'll be carried out (as in dead) in the past couple of weeks.

And the Haitians are listening. Many have left voluntarily. But the big construction projects don't want THEIR Haitians to go....... they work cheaper and better than Dominicans, in many cases.

I feel sorry for the ones that are in the streets begging, I really do. Having said that, I don't give them anything, because unfortunately, the money they collect usually goes to a someone else.

So, few people want the laborers to go, most want the beggars to go.

Revolutionrock77
01-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Understood. THanks Mr.Happy.

Just sayin, these folks have seen a sink and would know what to do with one if they had the opportunity. Some of that just sounded a little harsh.

I know you are not the H8'er, it's about about people in general, here in the US as well as in the DR.

Wau!Papi
01-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Understood. THanks Mr.Happy.

Just sayin, these folks have seen a sink and would know what to do with one if they had the opportunity. Some of that just sounded a little harsh.

I know you are not the H8'er, it's about about people in general, here in the US as well as in the DR.

If comments sound racist and hateful then they are. Most Haitians are wonderful people. Even those who escaped Haiti's streets after the earthquake looking for work in the DR washing windshields, without a pot to piss in.

psriches
01-08-2011, 04:30 PM
Thanks for keeping it peaceful!

Revolutionrock77
01-08-2011, 07:32 PM
We had a conversation going about the recent round up of Haitians in Sosua. It seemed like it might get heated for a minute, but everyone was respectful.

I was wondering why it is all of a sudden closed?

Isn't this something we should be talking about in news and events?

No disrespect to the moderators, just an honest question.

hugrad95a
01-08-2011, 08:17 PM
They weren't rounded up they were repatriated

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2011/1/7/38209/Dominican-authorities-repatriate-3000-Haitians

Dajabón.- At least 3,000 undocumented Haitians have been repatriated in the last 24 hours from the Dominican Republic after being arrested in communities and towns in the north west of the country, according to military sources in the province of Dajabón.

Army chief General Carlos Rivera Portes told reporters that the deportees had been detained in the municipalities of Restauración, Mao, Guayubín, Santiago Rodríguez, Montecristi, Loma de Cabrera and Dajabón, all near the Haitian border.
The military chief said that their human rights would be respected during the process of repatriation.

He took the opportunity to stress that the Armed Forces would take drastic measures against their personnel found to be taking bribes in return for allowing illegal migrants across the border.
As an example he mentioned the case of a soldier, Michael Germosén, who was serving in the Border Defense Corps (Cesfront) and was removed from the ranks after being found to be taking bribes while posted in Dajabón.
The Jesuit Refugee Service has accused the authorities of racial profiling in the detention process.
The Migration authorities have confiscated some 25 Dominican public transport buses said to be involved in transporting illegal migrants, and imposed fines on the drivers.

Revolutionrock77
01-08-2011, 08:52 PM
The Support Group for Returnees and Refugees (GARR) tells us that reliable sources have reported hunting of Haitians in Puerto Plata, Sosua and other tourist areas in the north of the Dominican Republic.

Two trucks drive all day in Puerto Plata at the entrance and exit of the city and go into large communities of Haitians. Officials of Dominican migration accompanied by military halt Haitian nationals and give them the order to board without even checking their documents.

Since the beginning of these arbitrary arrests, persons in charge of hotels, have advised their Haitian employees even those that hold a legal permit of residence to stay at the hotel for some time instead of returning home to avoid being deported without warning, said a source close to the tourism business.

http://crofsblogs.typepad.com/h5n1/2010/12/is-the-dominican-republic-deporting-haitians-on-racial-grounds.html

gmalet
01-09-2011, 07:38 AM
They were rounding them up all over the country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTc-LQXiAC0

gmalet
01-09-2011, 07:42 AM
Heres a roundup in Sosua

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHpdCMxjz50

gmalet
01-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Searches notice trhe caribe tours bus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUge4-1CtlU&NR=1

MrHappy
01-09-2011, 07:51 AM
I have yet to hear of the police entering a construction site and loading up Haitians.

The ones they're grabbing are the ones that are doing nothing, IMHO.

vagabond
01-09-2011, 10:47 AM
I realy hope these actions are very succesfull. People who wants to be around Haitiens should just go to Haiti.

MrHappy
01-09-2011, 10:49 AM
I realy hope these actions are very succesfull. People who wants to be around Haitiens should just go to Haiti.

Be careful. You don't want any of our members calling you a racist...

vagabond
01-09-2011, 11:02 AM
Be careful. You don't want any of our members calling you a racist...

I'm living part time in DR, because I like Dominican people, language, food, music and other culture.
People who wants to be with Haitiens can just go to Haiti. I don't see the problem with that ?

ElPlomero
01-09-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm living part time in DR, because I like Dominican people, language, food, music and other culture.
People who wants to be with Haitiens can just go to Haiti. I don't see the problem with that ?

Let me guess... You worked at The United Nations before moving to The DR. Right?

Revolutionrock77
01-09-2011, 12:45 PM
Every country has the right to enforce its's borders. But at the same time, it must be done in a way that respects human rights. For the good of all.

Taking a guess about whether someone belongs based on how dark their skin is, which happens often, is not the way to do it.

I think most people can agree on that.

steviewonder
01-09-2011, 01:31 PM

I had the same issue several yrs. ago when I moved to the US and realized it was very difficult to find an American in south Florida.;)

Westy
01-09-2011, 09:05 PM
And how are they ferreting out the Haitians?

Maybe....

http://jdeq.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451ef2569e201156f342346970b-320wi

"¿Como se llame este?"

Ram
01-09-2011, 09:13 PM

So I guess this Haitian thing is new to the DR and that Haiti has had no influence on the Dominican people and culture over that past....say 300 years?

pixall7887
01-09-2011, 10:57 PM
I actually feel completely opposite of you vagabond. Having the haitians when i visit the dr is like mongering in 2 countries in 1. Damn i was actually kinda cool with the crackdown of open prostitution because women are a plenty in the dr but this roundup of haitians is removing one of my options. Bastards.

Sidney
01-10-2011, 10:07 AM
I actually feel completely opposite of you vagabond. Having the haitians when i visit the dr is like mongering in 2 countries in 1. Damn i was actually kinda cool with the crackdown of open prostitution because women are a plenty in the dr but this roundup of haitians is removing one of my options. Bastards.
All my favoritas are Haitian or 1/2. I am very much against all this persecution!:mad:

princepointe
01-10-2011, 10:26 AM
So I guess this Haitian thing is new to the DR and that Haiti has had no influence on the Dominican people and culture over that past....say 300 years?

Come on man. Haitians are apparently a plague sent from god to smite the good Dominican people for their sins every 300 years. Everyone knows that geez. Poor Dominicans. lol

JD426
01-10-2011, 11:34 AM
All my favoritas are Haitian or 1/2. I am very much against all this persecution!:mad:

Normally I would disagree with such a statement. But given the fact of a massive earthquake, (an act of god) and that many of these people have lost their entire Families and are just LOST, completely LOST like none of us will hopefully EVER know in our lifetimes... just stop and imagine for a moment your entire family is gone ,and you are alone.
These people should get a PASS. There are definitely more humane and civilized ways of handling this.. But Dominicans have never been known for ther Tact or Civility. Haitians are all being treated like Criminals, and probably blamed for the decrease in Tourism as well.
So it is a kind of persecution.

Revolutionrock77
01-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Identity is a very complicated matter in the Dominican Republic. It isn't always an either/or option. The history of the island is such, that there are many Dominicans of Haitian descent.

There are people who were born into the Dominican cane fields who have never even seen Haiti, don't speak creole, yet are not considered Dominicans. They have no birth certificates, so their options are limited when an opportunity requires one.

Here are some examples:

The following are three examples of people who grew up as Dominican citizens but are now “under investigation” because of their Haitian ancestry:

1) Ángel is a talented baseball player and was offered a contract by the US baseball team, the San Francisco Giants. Officials at the registry office refused his request for an official copy of his full birth certificate, informing him that his documents are under investigation because he is of Haitian origin. Since he could not get a passport, he lost the contract with the Giants.

2) Altagracia is a good student who cannot go to university because the registry office refused her request for an official copy of her birth certificate. The office informed her that it was because her surname is Haitian.

3) Teresa was refused a birth certificate for her 6-month-old baby because of her Haitian surname. She had registered her first 3 children previously without problems.

Other people have been "repatriated" to a country they have never set foot in.

A good book on Haitian-Dominican relations:

Why the Cocks Fight: Dominicans, Haitians, and the Struggle for Hispaniola
By: Michelle Wucker

Amazon.com: Why the Cocks Fight: Dominicans, Haitians, and the Struggle for Hispaniola (9780809097135): Michele Wucker: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Why-Cocks-Fight-Dominicans-Hispaniola/dp/0809097133)

GrandePadre
01-10-2011, 11:11 PM
Normally I would disagree with such a statement. But given the fact of a massive earthquake, (an act of god) and that many of these people have lost their entire Families and are just LOST, completely LOST like none of us will hopefully EVER know in our lifetimes... just stop and imagine for a moment your entire family is gone ,and you are alone.
These people should get a PASS. There are definitely more humane and civilized ways of handling this.. But Dominicans have never been known for ther Tact or Civility. Haitians are all being treated like Criminals, and probably blamed for the decrease in Tourism as well.
So it is a kind of persecution.

I don't have anything against Haitians. But first of all, look how we treat them, they could be on a sinking ship 2 miles from shore and the coast guard will tell them...nope not here.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=mXgzAAAAIBAJ&sjid=9wcEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6882,4195363&dq=coast+guard+prevents+haitians+from+coming+to+us&hl=en

Hell, the US government don't want them here even after the earthquake.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/17/AR2010011701893.html

I can't blame the Dominican Republic for enforcing their borders and doing the same thing the US Government is doing.

When you are in a struggling economy with high unemployment, the last thing you want is people coming to your country illegally and taking work opportunities from legitimate citizens. We want the Dominican government to take on a lot of these refugees, who will most likely never leave, but we are not willing to help fund this. The money has to come from somewhere and the Dominican government doesn't even provide welfare to their own people.

I do hope there are some Haitians around because I saw several that I wanted to hook up with. The one I was with had a very patient and understanding way about it. Like she was my wife or something. Super attentive.

Revolutionrock77
01-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Haitian migrant workers in the DR:
Needed but not wanted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz1FoON7ayg&feature=related

Revolutionrock77
01-12-2011, 09:27 AM
January 12, 2011 - Today is the one year anniversary of the earthquake in Haiti where over 250, 000 died.

One year later things are progressing slowly, and in some cases, moving backward. Political instability from a disputed presidential election. A cholera outbreak which has killed over 3,500 people.

And here in this week's thread we are discussing round ups, deportations, profiling, threats and violence (yesterday a soldier killed an "illegal") to deal with the migration these problems are causing.

I had hoped that one year later it would be a different story, but I doubt many of us are surprised.

eldorob
01-15-2011, 10:39 AM
January 12, 2011 - Today is the one year anniversary of the earthquake in Haiti where over 250, 000 died.

One year later things are progressing slowly, and in some cases, moving backward. Political instability from a disputed presidential election. A cholera outbreak which has killed over 3,500 people.

And here in this week's thread we are discussing round ups, deportations, profiling, threats and violence (yesterday a soldier killed an "illegal") to deal with the migration these problems are causing.

I had hoped that one year later it would be a different story, but I doubt many of us are surprised.

The Dominicans were very helpful following the aftermath of the earthquake - probably were the quickest to respond. I think they were the first to get water trucks and other supplies in, if I remember correctly.

But they (I'm guessing here) don't see Haiti's long term problems becoming their long term problems. They want to protect their borders and their country.

Dominicans aren't stupid, they know Haiti was a mess before the earthquake, and that it'll be a mess after.

Seville
01-15-2011, 08:42 PM
Was near the police station early this afternoon and they were shipping Hatians out. There was a huge green dump truck jammed full of Hatians in the parking lot. I watched as it pulled out headed in the direction of Puerto Plata. Even if you are deporting them for cause it would be nice to transport them like human beings.

WickedWillie
01-16-2011, 10:22 AM
Big round-up of Haitians in Cabarete on Friday night. Policia and immigration went into the 2 large barrios here and pulled people out of their houses and off the streets.

I am told that some of the Dominican residents were settling old scores, grudges and prejudices by telling the authorities who to arrest, even their next door neighbours. WTF.

I know of a 54 year old Haitiano, who's lived here for most of his life but without legal status, arrested and deported. He hasn't been to Haiti since he was a very young boy.

On the upside there were 8 Haitianas, too scared to go anywhere public, holed up in a very discrete bar in Islabon/Sabaneta last night:wink:

papi_sosua
01-16-2011, 01:23 PM
On a related note: traveled from Dajabon to Sosua by bus on Thursday afternoon.

Between Dajabon and Navarette we passed thru no fewer than 8 military checkpoints. Only documents of those who looked Haitian were checked. In fact they were not even allowed to board the bus in Dajabon w/o document check.

Sidney
01-17-2011, 08:28 AM
On a related note: traveled from Dajabon to Sosua by bus on Thursday afternoon.

Between Dajabon and Navarette we passed thru no fewer than 8 military checkpoints. Only documents of those who looked Haitian were checked. In fact they were not even allowed to board the bus in Dajabon w/o document check.
Thanks. I have a regular, holed up, in campo near Dajabon. She is afraid to try to return to Sosua. I'll warn her.

Hoseman
01-17-2011, 10:05 AM
I hope they don't start deporting illegal Europeans,Americans and Canadiens.

Jimmydr
01-17-2011, 10:06 AM

They use to, back in the early 2000's.

papi_sosua
01-17-2011, 10:56 AM
On Thursday morning in Ouanaminthe, I ran into a Sosua regular who had been deported two days prior. The day before, a regular client of hers had sent 3,000 pesos. Now that is not enough to buy any kind of Dominican visa.

But sure enough it was sufficient for her to travel back to Sosua as an illegal the same Thursday and arrive even before us. Not sure how it works but it can be done...

Thanks. I have a regular, holed up, in campo near Dajabon. She is afraid to try to return to Sosua. I'll warn her.

weyland
01-17-2011, 12:17 PM
On Thursday morning in Ouanaminthe, I ran into a Sosua regular who had been deported two days prior. The day before, a regular client of hers had sent 3,000 pesos. Now that is not enough to buy any kind of Dominican visa.

But sure enough it was sufficient for her to travel back to Sosua as an illegal the same Thursday and arrive even before us. Not sure how it works but it can be done...
The normal bribe for "semi-legal" entry used to be 6000 or 7000 pesos (or gourdes). It stayed about the same for years. That meant the guards stamping your papers as if you had entered legally.

Since they tightened up because of cholera that is no longer possible. It takes a much larger bribe higher up the chain now and a lot of the senior officers cannot be bribed. Either they are honest (yes, there are a few, even in the DR and Haïti) or they have more to lose and are frightened of their superiors, or they actually believe in what they are doing.

Therefore your contact must have crossed the border where unguarded. More difficult these days but still possible for the brave or desperate.

WickedWillie
01-17-2011, 03:57 PM

It's only a matter of time.

It was reported recently that there were something like 36,000 'gringo's' with expired residency documents.

I can only imagine the number without any documents.

If you live here there really is no reason not to legalise your status.

Mr Hillbilly
01-17-2011, 04:08 PM
It's only a matter of time.

It was reported recently that there were something like 36,000 'gringo's' with expired residency documents.

I can only imagine the number without any documents.

If you live here there really is no reason not to legalise your status.
Santo Domingo.- Immigration Agency director Sigfrido Pared today revealed that 300 foreigners have been deported from the Dominican Republic in the last six months, who were hiding out here after committing various crimes in their country.
He said the deportations cost Immigration 1.5 million pesos monthly and include citizens from Germany, Spain, France, U.S., Canada, Peru and others.
The official said the foreigners have broken the country’s laws, others have overstayed their visa and others are wanted in their respective countries, which alert the Dominican authorities. “This deportation process has a very high cost of around 1.5 million pesos monthly, but despite the cost it’s necessary to avoid greater evils.”
He noted that even if they break the law when those foreigners have residency the process becomes slower, but if they are here illegally the deportation is carried out via the administrative route.

KoKi9290
01-17-2011, 05:26 PM
This was in the Miami Herald today and Sunday.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/01/17/2020371/trafficking-of-haitian-children.html

Paraiso
01-27-2011, 08:35 PM
I have a woman down the street who lets her dog crap in my yard. I'm trying to catch her so I can shovel up the still warm excrement and fling it at her front door. I'll probably get in trouble for it, but oh well.

Think "Me, Myself and Irene".....lol

Sidney
01-28-2011, 07:24 AM
I have been outta town for a few days. Curious, has the ''persecution'' continued?

whynotme
01-31-2011, 03:10 AM
Was near the police station early this afternoon and they were shipping Hatians out. There was a huge green dump truck jammed full of Hatians in the parking lot. I watched as it pulled out headed in the direction of Puerto Plata. Even if you are deporting them for cause it would be nice
to transport them like human beings.
in cuba this is the main transportation for
most.........better than walking