PDA

View Full Version : Belatedly, i discover Geico provides no coverage

Sidney
01-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Nor does State Farm. Are any of you aware of a USA company that provides basic coverage in thr D R ? :mad:

ralphie1
01-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Nor does State Farm. Are any of you aware of a USA company that provides basic coverage in thr D R ? :mad:
either get coverage off of your credit card or take the coverage that comes from the rental company

WickedWillie
01-08-2011, 05:18 PM

Why would they??

psriches
01-08-2011, 05:20 PM
The problem isn't basic coverage. Most common credit cards will cover this. So you and your vehicle will be covered. The problem is no one covers 3rd party liability which covers the other person's damage. And that is where you'll have a problem in DR. The other car will demand payment on the spot and the Policia will back them up. If you don't come up with the cash, expect a few nights/weeks in jail until you do.

So if you eventually find the insurance company/credit card company you're looking for, still always purchase the 3rd party liability.

Sidney
01-09-2011, 02:37 PM
I urge each of you to investigate insurance coverage with you respective cc companies. All seem to be differnt. Some provide coverage for collision. None for liability! Some have other coverages. For example AmEx has different coverages for my 3 cc's and 42 days and a $24.95 annual fee. Citi MC has good coverages for 31 days.

ElPlomero
01-09-2011, 02:50 PM

Do a search herein about driving rental cars in The DR.

You will find that many have done it with no problems and many do it regularly.

You will also find cases where people do have problems.

And... when they have problems, they are usually big problems.

If you fuck up... you will find yourself in a world of shit.

Sometimes... even if you don't fuck up... like if a moto driver tries to pass the car that is passing you on the left while your taking a left turn with a signal on, you can find yourself in just as much trouble...

They can stop you from leaving the country and make you pay for everything, even what's not your fault.

After all... you're the rich gringo and can afford to pay for everyone else's mistakes.

If you would be in a world of shit, should you be delayed in The DR for a week, you should never rent a car there.

Even if you wouldn't... there are members who have spent time in the Puerto Plata jail while things are being sorted out and that's nowhere you want to be.

Take this for what it's worth... and consider everything carefully before you decide whether or not to rent a car in The DR.

My 2 cents.

CentralNJDude
01-09-2011, 08:40 PM
I have rented a car twice in DR in the last six months. Both times I opted for the coverage provided by the rental company. I spent a lot of time talking to the AVIS girl at POP ( helped that she was cute) about the travails on not having the liability coverage. She was very candid about it and said unless you have connections locally and can speak fluent Spanish, its safer to have the coverage. I think you can add some coverage under your home insurance policy, remember seeing it in one of MikeLodge's Posts. Given that you are there for a few days/a couple of weeks and you are planning on renting, I think it would be good for the collective peace of mind to have that coverage. There are no conjugal visits in the DR slammer.

gdogg
01-10-2011, 08:56 AM
There are no conjugal visits in the DR slammer.

Yes there are. Just not the kind you'd be interested in...like the visit from your naked cellmate!
:eek: :lol:

CentralNJDude
01-10-2011, 09:56 AM
More reason to avoid becoming a male KYJ commercial. :D

psriches
01-10-2011, 08:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=077UtUWGQOA

GrandePadre
01-10-2011, 09:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwmMMZZjxpQ

psriches
01-10-2011, 09:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txp8B4ek_kk&feature=related

major448
01-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Here's one song that you NEVER want to learn how to sing!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrLRe6bpMfU

Nakom
01-12-2011, 02:49 PM
I got an umbrella rider on my HOUSE insurance that has $1,000,000 personal liability and $1,000,000 3rd party liability on rental cars outside of North America. It also comes with 'extra' house insurance, boats, RV’s, ect. It was $12 a month.

Might not help you when you are down there, but you can get the money back once you are home. You must get receipts for the repairs to the car, medical bills, lawyer fees, ect.

If something happens down there, call your embassy immediately and call a lawyer and a friend. The lawyer can make sure you get receipts.

voltage69
02-03-2011, 08:42 AM
If you have american express and rent the car with that card, the card will insure you. at least mine does, but id check your terms or call them to see if car rental insurance is included. maybe other cards have coverage too.. i dont know though.

Nakom
02-03-2011, 02:03 PM
I checked with my Auto Insurance and my Mastercard - both have full coverage for rental cars - in North America ONLY. Be careful - almost zero credit cards and car insurance covers outside North America!!

voltage69
02-03-2011, 02:54 PM
my jetblue american express covers the domnican republic.

voltage69
02-03-2011, 02:58 PM
oh.. and umm... if anyone wants a jetblue american express , let me know first so i can refer you and get some jetblue points. thanks!

mrblackluv
02-03-2011, 03:07 PM
This thread prompted me to check out my situation.

I have a Diners Card Mastercard.
It provides Primary insurance worldwide..for collisions/damaages/theft etc.

I can just pay anything the rental company charges with the card, and they work it out.

It does NOT have liability coverage.
I talked to my house insurance carrier about an umbrella policy.

Apos
02-03-2011, 03:10 PM
My understanding is that Canadian credit cards are exclusively for NA for liability coverage. At least I don't know of one otherwise, despite looking for years...

Does anyone have a Canadian credit card that offers full insurance coverage outside of NA that includes liability?

ElPlomero
02-03-2011, 09:51 PM
I checked with my Auto Insurance and my Mastercard - both have full coverage for rental cars - in North America ONLY. Be careful - almost zero credit cards and car insurance covers outside North America!!

That's not true.

There are many credit cards that cover you in The DR.

But.... they all have fine print.

For example... Amex's fine print states that if the car you are renting has any after market equipment on it... the policy is null and void.

Unfortunately... a lot of the second string car rental companies prefer to buy cheaper cars and install their own stereos in them.

Oops... there goes your insurance if you are using AMEX.

Do your homework if you plan on driving down there.

Or... you can assume all the guys that got into trouble before you were all idiots and that you're impervious to that kind of crap.

My 2 cents.

SeaWeed
02-03-2011, 10:23 PM
This just in; GEICO to pay more than $30 million to a Florida family.

A driver who pulled off Interstate 75 to avoid a plume of black smoke from the vehicle in front of him, but then plummeted down an embankment, was not responsible for his own death, a jury decided Thursday.
Mary Bottini's eyes filled with tears after the ruling, which ordered GEICO to pay more than $30 million, her attorney said.
Gerard Bottini, then 46, was on his way home from a March 2007 trade show in Miami when a vehicle in front of him on I-75 in Hillsborough County emitted a cloud of dark smoke, dropping his visibility to zero, said Steve Yerrid, an attorney for his estate.
He was in the left lane with traffic on his right and a semitrailer truck behind him when he decided to pull off on the left shoulder, Yerrid said.
"What he couldn't have known is there was a 5-foot embankment," Yerrid said. Bottini's Ford pickup plunged down the embankment, and the crash crushed the driver's side roof down to 3 inches from the seat.
Bottini died and his two co-workers were injured.
GEICO denied the claim. The company's attorneys argued Bottini wasn't wearing a seat belt and caused the accident by over-steering in a panic, Yerrid said.
"Unfortunately in some cases, wearing a seat belt doesn't matter," he said.
Yerrid argued that Bottini couldn't see, and the best course of action was to pull off the side of the road instead of risking striking a disabled vehicle.
Experts — including GEICO's — backed up that assertion, he said.
A jury of four men and two women awarded more than $14 million to Bottini's wife, Mary; more than $5 million to each of his three minor children; and $1.8 million in economic damages, according to court documents.